register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Suspension & Brakes

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Suspension & Brakes Discussion for suspension items like coilovers, springs, sway bars, mounts,chassis bracing and brakes.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree17Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 03-18-2015, 09:44 AM   #1201

pandita is the leader of the worldpandita is the leader of the worldpandita is the leader of the worldpandita is the leader of the worldpandita is the leader of the worldpandita is the leader of the worldpandita is the leader of the worldpandita is the leader of the worldpandita is the leader of the worldpandita is the leader of the worldpandita is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
Actually pretty easy to drop the front a 1/2" with the bils. It only requires grinding of a little notch on the lower tap to slide the damper body further into the knuckle. It takes much more work on the stockers and Konis.

I am so sorry for reviving this old thread,
but it bugs me SO MUCH that my car is higher in the front than the rear with my bils and swift springs.

Is this literally all you need to do? Just cut that tiny tab off? I'm assuming you just need to get a sharpie pen and precisely measure everything so it's even.

Also, could you just bend the little tab into it's hole just incase you ever wanted to put them back to the way they were, because technically this voids your warranty.

But then I don't understand what stops the strut from completely falling into the knuckle at high speeds over a bump or something.

Is it really just that one bolt holding the strut in place? lol
Corksport Sri/Tip/Internals/Test Pipe/Rear Motor Mount/Solid Shifter Bushings/Cat Back Exhaust
Rally Armor Mudflaps/HIDS/Yellow Fogs/OEM Window Visors/Super Cool JDM Axela Badge
Enkei Rpf1/Bilstein Struts+Swift Springs

90 Miata:
DDM Intake, Megan Coilovers, Flyin Miata Sways/Master Cylinder Brace,
Corksport Radiator Panel, EGR Rollbar, Enkei RPF1's, 16° timing advance, Foamectomy
pandita is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pandita For This Useful Post:
Tomas (04-06-2015)
 Old 03-18-2015, 11:39 AM   #1202

jack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the world
Thanked 17,259 Times in 3,186 Posts
Groans: 549
Groaned at 130 Times in 85 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

there is a bolt in the knuckle that will stop the tab from going further.
Tomas (04-06-2015)
 Old 03-18-2015, 11:40 AM   #1203

pandita is the leader of the worldpandita is the leader of the worldpandita is the leader of the worldpandita is the leader of the worldpandita is the leader of the worldpandita is the leader of the worldpandita is the leader of the worldpandita is the leader of the worldpandita is the leader of the worldpandita is the leader of the worldpandita is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

You mean the one and only bolt holding the strut in?
Or is there one I missed lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Corksport Sri/Tip/Internals/Test Pipe/Rear Motor Mount/Solid Shifter Bushings/Cat Back Exhaust
Rally Armor Mudflaps/HIDS/Yellow Fogs/OEM Window Visors/Super Cool JDM Axela Badge

90 Miata:
Corksport Radiator Panel, EGR Rollbar, Enkei RPF1's, 16° timing advance, Foamectomy
 Old 03-18-2015, 12:06 PM   #1204

jack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by pandita View Post
You mean the one and only bolt holding the strut in?
Or is there one I missed lol.

Originally Posted by pandita View Post

But then I don't understand what stops the strut from completely falling into the knuckle at high speeds over a bump or something.
yes. that one.
 Old 03-18-2015, 03:01 PM   #1205

Not Ranked  0 score     

Perfect. I'll do it in the coming days.

90 Miata:
 Old 03-26-2015, 12:33 AM   #1206

googlebutt is a splendid one to beholdgooglebutt is a splendid one to beholdgooglebutt is a splendid one to beholdgooglebutt is a splendid one to beholdgooglebutt is a splendid one to beholdgooglebutt is a splendid one to beholdgooglebutt is a splendid one to behold
Groans: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Has anyone with b8's ridden in a car with FSD's (and maybe cs springs) and able to compare? I'm split on which set to get. Tempted to try @Raider's setup.
googlebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-26-2015, 07:20 AM   #1207

Nliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,631 Times in 3,121 Posts
Groans: 67
Groaned at 17 Times in 16 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by license2ill View Post
My rear B8s are factory-set to a pretty fast(firmer) rebound, which makes for a more lively and nervous feel over rough pavement, but not harsh with stock springs. Not harsh, but busy, and no way to change it.

I've set my front Koni Yellows to just under a 1/4 turn from full Slow(soft) rebound, which is about where I would expect the FSDs to feel according to reports, which feels stable and smooth, without the floaty feel of a slightly stiffer setting, or the busy and harsh feel of full Firm. At full Soft, it feels a little flat over bumps, and a little washed-out in corners.

The B8s feel like the Sport Yellows on at least a full turn closer to Firm. If I had it to do over again, I'd get the Sport Yellows in the rear too, and adjust the rebound to about the same as the fronts for a stable, but not washed-out feel, and a less nervous rear.
fast rebound ≠ firm rebound

The firmer the rebound damping, the slower the piston will extend.

Conversely, the softer the rebound damping, the faster the piston will extend.

2008 MS3 GT
2016 MX-5 Club

Nliiitend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nliiitend1 For This Useful Post:
Deldran (03-26-2015), MSMS3 (03-26-2015), phate (03-26-2015), Tomas (04-06-2015)
 Old 03-26-2015, 07:35 AM   #1208

Nliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

fast=firm setting on the konis.
Explain yourself.

Soft to Firm is how it works. If you insist on putting "speed" labels on the settings, then it stands to reason that you should use a descriptor that follows what the damper is doing. Softer rebound damping allows faster damper piston movement, and firmer rebound damping allows the damper piston to move less easily (more slowly, in the terms I guess you insist on using).

2008 MS3 GT
2016 MX-5 Club

Deldran (03-26-2015), div2 (03-26-2015), MSMS3 (03-26-2015), phate (03-26-2015)
 Old 03-26-2015, 08:15 AM   #1209
Eth Fiend

phate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the world
Thanked 21,721 Times in 5,871 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

firmer setting on damper allows piston/spring to return faster, makes for floaty feel. same as my mtb shocks.
No, that's not how damping works. The more force there is, the more resistance there is at a specific velocity.

Imagine no damper at all - the spring oscillates at its resonant frequency. That's the fastest the spring will ever move. Now add damping force to either the compression or extension phase of the oscillation - that force RESISTS the springs movement, slowing it down.

Now add a bunch of damping, way more than is necessary. That force will actually prevent the spring from returning to neutral until it has slowed WAY down. That process takes much, much longer than undamped movement or critical damping, otherwise known as overdamped.

Extrapolating in the overdamped situation a little bit and you can see that successive bumps can actually force the car to ride lower or higher over those successive bumps - aka jacking - because the movement is so slowed the system can't return to neutral before the next bump.

www.mazdamotorsports.com <<--Mazda racer support program that is free to join and will save you a ton of money.

Last edited by phate; 03-26-2015 at 08:28 AM.
phate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to phate For This Useful Post:
CaptainCode (08-06-2015), Deldran (03-26-2015), div2 (03-26-2015), MSMS3 (03-26-2015), Nliiitend1 (03-26-2015), Tomas (04-06-2015)
 Old 03-26-2015, 08:38 AM   #1210
Eth Fiend

phate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the world
Thanked 21,721 Times in 5,871 Posts
Groans: 7
Neutral  -1 score     

Soft is slow rebound, more damping, jacking down.
No.
xfeejayx likes this.

www.mazdamotorsports.com <<--Mazda racer support program that is free to join and will save you a ton of money.
phate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to phate For This Useful Post:
Chuthor (03-26-2015), Deldran (03-26-2015), div2 (03-26-2015), Nliiitend1 (03-26-2015), Tomas (04-06-2015), WetzMS3 (03-26-2015)
The Following User Says NO Thank You to phate For This Un-useful Post:
license2ill (03-26-2015)
 Old 03-26-2015, 08:48 AM   #1211

xfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,694 Times in 980 Posts
Groans: 78
Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

yeah, it's just how the shock company labels it. The Fox shock on my mtb has slow and fast on it, meaning slow or fast return.
Bro, that was so people know if you're serious or not. Like they roll up next to you, and you got your shit set on fast, they don't want a piece. And if it's set on slow, race for pinks.
license2ill likes this.
xfeejayx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xfeejayx For This Useful Post:
Deldran (03-26-2015)
 Old 03-26-2015, 08:52 AM   #1212

Not Ranked  0 score     

yes.

div2 (03-26-2015), WetzMS3 (03-26-2015)
The Following User Says NO Thank You to jack_hammer For This Un-useful Post:
license2ill (03-26-2015)
 Old 03-26-2015, 09:00 AM   #1213

xfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the worldxfeejayx is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

yes.
Please, tell me more. I want to learn your ways. How can I get shocks that defy physics?
The Following User Says Thank You to xfeejayx For This Useful Post:
Deldran (03-26-2015)
 Old 03-26-2015, 09:02 AM   #1214

WetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 9,203 Times in 3,608 Posts
Groans: 430
Groaned at 247 Times in 83 Posts
Neutral  -1 score     

Proposed name change:

license2eatpenis

SLUNTWORKS SPEEDSHOP
WetzMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WetzMS3 For This Useful Post:
Deldran (03-26-2015), jack_hammer (03-26-2015)
The Following User Says NO Thank You to WetzMS3 For This Un-useful Post:
license2ill (03-26-2015)
 Old 03-26-2015, 09:16 AM   #1215

Not Ranked  0 score     

first you've got to understand physics and simple language, tough guy.
I didn't make it all the way through ESL. Maybe that's the problem. Although, maybe if you explain it slowly I'll get it.

It might take a while for me to understand, but after I get it I'll go back and explain it to my old physics, controls, and design teachers that they all had it wrong this whole time.

We might be starting a new era in suspension design where decreasing damping coefficient increases force at a given velocity. Can you picture the magnitude of this?! Maybe we can take this breakthrough to other applications. Maybe if we oil our tires and reduce friction coefficient we'll get more traction!!
WetzMS3 likes this.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xfeejayx For This Useful Post:
Chuthor (03-26-2015), Deldran (03-26-2015), Nliiitend1 (03-26-2015), phate (03-26-2015), WetzMS3 (03-26-2015)
 Old 03-26-2015, 09:36 AM   #1216

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,871 Times in 1,018 Posts
Groans: 149
Groaned at 47 Times in 31 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Regardless of the fast/slow descriptors, which are not accurate, the Bilstein HDs on my car are extremely firm with stock springs. Especially on compression, less so on rebound or extension, if I am using those terms correctly. My HD's (B6's) are, I think we established perhaps earlier in this long thread, identical to the B8s except for shaft length.

Now, in honesty, I have tires with very stiff sidewalls, Yoko AD08Rs. That contributes to the firmness. This is especially noticable when encountering expansion strips on the highway. The combination is extremely effective from a handling standpoint, with amazing grip and very precise body motion control. But any semblance of a soft ride is gone.

My wife and most female passengers (daughter, co-workers, etc.) are not thrilled to ride in my car. But, I am.

Sunlight Silver '08 MS3 GT Mods: (Sold 1/25/2019 after 10 years of ownership)
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MSMS3 For This Useful Post:
div2 (03-26-2015), Nliiitend1 (03-26-2015), phate (03-26-2015)
 Old 03-27-2015, 11:29 AM   #1217

Not Ranked  0 score     

@license2ill; i have a question for you regarding...

oh, wait. nevermind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (15.3 KB, 376 views)
div2 (03-27-2015), phate (03-27-2015), WetzMS3 (03-27-2015), xfeejayx (03-27-2015), zenit (03-27-2015)
 Old 04-05-2015, 12:15 AM   #1218

kt411gcn is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

Did you guys notice a ride height change after installing the bilstein's? My front is higher than my rear by about a finger. I noticed the previous owner installed bilsteins in the front. Rear oem shocks. Oem springs f+r.
kt411gcn is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-05-2015, 05:11 AM   #1219

smileyspeed3 is a glorious beacon of lightsmileyspeed3 is a glorious beacon of lightsmileyspeed3 is a glorious beacon of lightsmileyspeed3 is a glorious beacon of lightsmileyspeed3 is a glorious beacon of lightsmileyspeed3 is a glorious beacon of light
Not Ranked  0 score     

Did Bilst B8 with Cobb springs. Front seems lower than the back which is what I wanted. I am trying to do everything possible to prevent the front lifting during WOT.
smileyspeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-05-2015, 06:43 AM   #1220

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by kt411gcn View Post
Did you guys notice a ride height change after installing the bilstein's? My front is higher than my rear by about a finger. I noticed the previous owner installed bilsteins in the front. Rear oem shocks. Oem springs f+r.
No. But I put B6s on all four corners at the same time and stayed with stock springs.

BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
The Following User Says Thank You to MSMS3 For This Useful Post:
zjnspeed3 (04-24-2016)
 Old 04-24-2016, 05:12 AM   #1221

mituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,235 Posts
Groans: 111
Not Ranked  0 score     

The front B8s are the same for both gens, but the rears have different part#. Does anyone know what is the difference between the 24-196550 (listed for gen2) and 24-215237 (listed for gen1)?

For the B14 coilover kit the parts are exactly the same so I don't know what the difference between these two B8 rear dampers may be since both gens basically share the same suspension parts.
Bilstein B12 + CS Camber plates + Eibach camber arms, SSR Type-F, Michelin PS4 225/40/R18, Cobb RMM, StopTech Street Pads + Stoptech Slotted disks, SouthBend Enduro Stage3 clutch, genpu TMM + CS Insert, TheSpeedLine 2X Rear Cross Floor and Rear Middle Lower Strut bars, Tanabe 4 Point Under Brace, Whiteline Bumpsteeer corection kit
JBR Tru-3" + CS CAI Box, SU TMIC, Cobb XLE, NGK LTR7IX, UR v3 catted DP and res&catted TP, Cobb CatBack, GS EBCS, Autotech internals, GTX3071, CS 3.5BAR, Guardian Angel, CoolingMist WMI, VCTS Delete, stock ported IM
SP63 87.5mm 4032 9.5:1 pistons, Manley rods, CA625+ head studs, Clevite AL main bearings, King rod bearings, CP-e safe seals, DCR VVT, Koyorad radiator.
StratiVersaTuned FTW to 28PSI, self-tuned to 32PSI

2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7 6 Speed Manual
SU TMIC, Autotech HPFP internals, Cobb XLE, Cobb EBCS, CorkSport 3.5BAR MAP
GTX2867R gen2, stock spark plugs, stock cats and stock exhaust FTW, JBR Tru-3" Silicone intake
TheSpeedLine Top and Lower Strut bars
self-Versatuned to 22PSI
mituc is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-24-2016, 08:08 AM   #1222

Not Ranked  0 score     

The rear shocks have different width shock eye bushings:

Gen2 shocks on gen1

gen 1 to gen 2 suspension

2008 MS3 GT
2016 MX-5 Club

frothy (04-24-2016), Mauro_Penguin (04-24-2016), meicalnissyen (04-24-2016), mituc (04-24-2016)
 Old 04-24-2016, 12:18 PM   #1223

mituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Nliiitend1 View Post
The rear shocks have different width shock eye bushings:
Ok, so just to be sure, for fitting a gen1 rear shock to a gen2 all that's needed is a longer bolt (gen1 bolt) to accommodate the wider mounting ear, right?
Bilstein B12 + CS Camber plates + Eibach camber arms, SSR Type-F, Michelin PS4 225/40/R18, Cobb RMM, StopTech Street Pads + Stoptech Slotted disks, SouthBend Enduro Stage3 clutch, genpu TMM + CS Insert, TheSpeedLine 2X Rear Cross Floor and Rear Middle Lower Strut bars, Tanabe 4 Point Under Brace, Whiteline Bumpsteeer corection kit
JBR Tru-3" + CS CAI Box, SU TMIC, Cobb XLE, NGK LTR7IX, UR v3 catted DP and res&catted TP, Cobb CatBack, GS EBCS, Autotech internals, GTX3071, CS 3.5BAR, Guardian Angel, CoolingMist WMI, VCTS Delete, stock ported IM
SP63 87.5mm 4032 9.5:1 pistons, Manley rods, CA625+ head studs, Clevite AL main bearings, King rod bearings, CP-e safe seals, DCR VVT, Koyorad radiator.

GTX2867R gen2, stock spark plugs, stock cats and stock exhaust FTW, JBR Tru-3" Silicone intake
self-Versatuned to 22PSI
 Old 04-24-2016, 06:53 PM   #1224

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by mituc View Post
Ok, so just to be sure, for fitting a gen1 rear shock to a gen2 all that's needed is a longer bolt (gen1 bolt) to accommodate the wider mounting ear, right?
Correct. I always just tell people to ask the parts guy for two "camber arm" bolts (the outboard ones, specifically) as they are the perfect size.

2008 MS3 GT
2016 MX-5 Club

The Following User Says Thank You to Nliiitend1 For This Useful Post:
mituc (04-24-2016)
 Old 04-24-2016, 07:38 PM   #1225

FrankRizzo is a name known to allFrankRizzo is a name known to allFrankRizzo is a name known to allFrankRizzo is a name known to allFrankRizzo is a name known to allFrankRizzo is a name known to all
Not Ranked  0 score     

and here I am looking up rear shocks as one of mine starting leaving puddles in the driveway today! At least it isn't brake fluid...

Ordered up a set of bilstein B6's to go with the stock springs on my speed3.

Thanks for all the helpful info!
FrankRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-04-2017, 02:56 PM   #1226
mhx

mhx is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

ignore delete

Last edited by mhx; 06-05-2017 at 11:43 AM.
mhx is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-26-2017, 07:57 PM   #1227

Oshiguru is a glorious beacon of lightOshiguru is a glorious beacon of lightOshiguru is a glorious beacon of lightOshiguru is a glorious beacon of lightOshiguru is a glorious beacon of lightOshiguru is a glorious beacon of light
Not Ranked  0 score     

After reading this thread and the swift springs thread I ordered B8s with Swift Spec R's to replace my 4 leaking KW v1 struts. I have a feeling both setups will feel the same (KW is progressive IIRC) but Swifts will be a bit higher, which is good since my kw v1s are tucking tire at the highest setting.

Enough of my storytelling, but I was reading in this thread to put shock boots over the rears to prevent them from wearing down prematurely.

Anyway I went to a local 4WD/offroading store and picked up pro-comp boots ( Pro Comp Suspension - Pro Comp Poly-Vinyl Shock Boot (Gray) - 12126 | 4WheelParts.com )
The top end of the boot is approx 40mm and wraps perfectly snug on the 2nd rib on the VW bump stops I ordered ( https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...ta-1j0512131bf ), and the bottom end of the boot is approx 50mm so it goes over the whole strut/shock. It even comes with zip ties incase I want to make it snug to make sure nothing goes in or out. All the boots they had have 4 "holes" in them but aren't punched out unless wanted (see the 2 pinpoint holes here http://www.procompusa.com/suspension...artno=EXP12120 ), so its pretty much sealed unless you punch it open.

Just a lil bump incase anyone searches for a dust/shock boot and doesn't know which to order. These are hella cheap at $9.99 CAD for a pair, so around $6USD for two.
mazdaspeedmyk likes this.

Last edited by Oshiguru; 06-26-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Oshiguru is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-27-2017, 05:05 AM   #1228
mhx

mhx is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

I got B8s in the rear, about to order B8 fronts.. Using stock springs and replacing OEM junk.
mhx is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-27-2017, 06:29 AM   #1229

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by mhx View Post
I got B8s in the rear, about to order B8 fronts.. Using stock springs and replacing OEM junk.
B8 with stock springs?

self-Versatuned to 22PSI
 Old 06-30-2017, 05:57 PM   #1230

Not Ranked  0 score     

Nothing wrong with using B8s with stock MS3 springs.

2008 MS3 GT
2016 MX-5 Club

Old 06-30-2017, 09:25 PM   #1231

zenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,086 Times in 732 Posts
Groans: 57
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

it'll work.

"if anyone else acts a fool, we'll punish them to Roberts oil hut to discuss string alignment technique"
-wetzel
zenit is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-07-2018, 04:03 PM   #1232

Sierra248 is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

Got any pics? Also how come you ordered VW bump stops? Have you got wverything installed and if so how’d it all turn out. Did you do camber arms in the rear?
Thanks for any info

Originally Posted by Oshiguru View Post
After reading this thread and the swift springs thread I ordered B8s with Swift Spec R's to replace my 4 leaking KW v1 struts. I have a feeling both setups will feel the same (KW is progressive IIRC) but Swifts will be a bit higher, which is good since my kw v1s are tucking tire at the highest setting.

Enough of my storytelling, but I was reading in this thread to put shock boots over the rears to prevent them from wearing down prematurely.

Anyway I went to a local 4WD/offroading store and picked up pro-comp boots ( Pro Comp Suspension - Pro Comp Poly-Vinyl Shock Boot (Gray) - 12126 | 4WheelParts.com )
The top end of the boot is approx 40mm and wraps perfectly snug on the 2nd rib on the VW bump stops I ordered ( https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...ta-1j0512131bf ), and the bottom end of the boot is approx 50mm so it goes over the whole strut/shock. It even comes with zip ties incase I want to make it snug to make sure nothing goes in or out. All the boots they had have 4 "holes" in them but aren't punched out unless wanted (see the 2 pinpoint holes here http://www.procompusa.com/suspension...artno=EXP12120 ), so its pretty much sealed unless you punch it open.

Just a lil bump incase anyone searches for a dust/shock boot and doesn't know which to order. These are hella cheap at $9.99 CAD for a pair, so around $6USD for two.
Sierra248 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-08-2018, 05:59 AM   #1233

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Sierra248 View Post
Got any pics? Also how come you ordered VW bump stops? Have you got wverything installed and if so how’d it all turn out. Did you do camber arms in the rear?
Thanks for any info
You are replying to a post over a year old. He may not be keeping up with the thread. Might want to try PM to him if you want a quick response.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:01 AM   #1234

MichaelAress can only hope to improve
Groaned at 6 Times in 2 Posts
Neutral  -1 score     
Default Bilstein shocks for the ms3

Avaliable for sale again. E36 Bilstein sport shocks,

2 - brand new front monotube sport shocks,
2 - barely used rear sport shocks

650CAD obo takes them.

Dont have a digital camera so didnt take picture of the front shocks, but they are 100 brand new..

Below is a picture of the rear shocks

https://www.sportzfuel.com/
MichaelAress is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say NO Thank You to MichaelAress For This Un-useful Post:
cyber-ms3 (09-03-2018), Fstrnyou (09-02-2018), mituc (09-02-2018), MSMS3 (09-02-2018)

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f12/bilstein-shocks-mazdaspeed-3-a-46492/
Posted By For Type Date
Koni Yellow's or Blistein Sport shocks with stock springs? - Car This thread Refback 01-07-2012 07:45 PM
Koni Yellow's or Blistein Sport shocks with stock springs? - AcuraZine Community This thread Refback 03-23-2011 08:33 PM
Good read regarding suspension for the MPS3 using Bilsteins dampers (and koni's) This thread Refback 11-24-2010 01:42 PM