Mazdaspeed Forums

Mazdaspeed Forums (http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/)
-   MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Suspension & Brakes (http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f12/)
-   -   CTS-V Brake Swap (http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f12/cts-v-brake-swap-208626/)

Djohns 02-02-2017 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MunkieJunkie (Post 3104155)
Yeah I don't have an account there, you could pop on over and see if there's any interest.

Done.

[R]usty 02-02-2017 11:23 AM

So what exactly would they fabricate? Brackets and brake lines?

MunkieJunkie 02-02-2017 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [R]usty (Post 3104163)
So what exactly would they fabricate? Brackets and brake lines?

All they fabricate is a mounting kit, the rest is up to the consumer.

MoMS3 02-02-2017 11:37 AM

I want to say that we really should focus on RS brake adaptation vs CTS-V (Granted I'll take what I can get haha). The 6 piston CTS-V sit on a 14" rotor (370z track pack rotors), but those calipers are $380 apiece vs $150ish for the 4 piston per caliper.

RS brakes on the other hand use a 13.75" rotor and have a newer design monoblock caliper. The one thing I'm concerned about if we go above 13" rotor size is the wheel diameter due to the fact the RS brakes on an ST require RS equivalent wheels aka 19".

Basically, if we want this to happen, sounds like for now we're limited to 4 piston cts-v setup, since we need it to work for the 17" wheel crowd if we are wanting to convice ctsvbrakeswap guys to take the mazdaspeed/FoST plunge.

MunkieJunkie 02-02-2017 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoMS3 (Post 3104165)
I want to say that we really should focus on RS brake adaptation vs CTS-V (Granted I'll take what I can get haha). The 6 piston CTS-V sit on a 14" rotor (370z track pack rotors), but those calipers are $380 apiece vs $150ish for the 4 piston per caliper.

RS brakes on the other hand use a 13.75" rotor and have a newer design monoblock caliper. The one thing I'm concerned about if we go above 13" rotor size is the wheel diameter due to the fact the RS brakes on an ST require RS equivalent wheels aka 19".

Basically, if we want this to happen, sounds like for now we're limited to 4 piston cts-v setup, since we need it to work for the 17" wheel crowd if we are wanting to convice ctsvbrakeswap guys to take the mazdaspeed/FoST plunge.

I would imagine the 6 piston and 4 piston would mount up to the same bracket? Also, from what I'm seeing the RS calipers are carrying a pretty hefty price.

How I envisioned it is they fabricate the bracket/mounting hardware, and whoever buys decides whether they want the 4 or 6 piston. Then from there they can buy the rotors accordingly. That way if you're running stock wheels you can buy the 4 piston for your application, but the 6 piston is always available should you run a larger wheel.

Correct me if I'm wrong though, I could very possibly be looking at it the wrong way.

MoMS3 02-02-2017 01:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I don't think they'd be able to use the same brackets given that the 4 piston setup specs a 12.75" rotor vs 6 piston on 14" rotor, to me it would seem the brackets would mount the 6 piston caliper further out from the hub to accommodate the .625" increase in radius of the rotor. Not to mention the mounting points for the 6 piston look completely different in their location

Voltwings 02-02-2017 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoMS3 (Post 3104165)
I want to say that we really should focus on RS brake adaptation vs CTS-V (Granted I'll take what I can get haha). The 6 piston CTS-V sit on a 14" rotor (370z track pack rotors), but those calipers are $380 apiece vs $150ish for the 4 piston per caliper.

RS brakes on the other hand use a 13.75" rotor and have a newer design monoblock caliper. The one thing I'm concerned about if we go above 13" rotor size is the wheel diameter due to the fact the RS brakes on an ST require RS equivalent wheels aka 19".

Basically, if we want this to happen, sounds like for now we're limited to 4 piston cts-v setup, since we need it to work for the 17" wheel crowd if we are wanting to convice ctsvbrakeswap guys to take the mazdaspeed/FoST plunge.

A 14" rotor will sit inside an 18" rim. It clears the barrell, the issue would be are we able to run a rim with enough offset to keep the spokes off the caliper. We dont really need an increase in rotor size. It would be nice, but the stock brakes can be tracked with relatively little fuss from a heat capacity standpoint.

Just whatever fixed caliper option we can get for better for wear is all this platform really needs.

MunkieJunkie 02-02-2017 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoMS3 (Post 3104189)
I don't think they'd be able to use the same brackets given that the 4 piston setup specs a 12.75" rotor vs 6 piston on 14" rotor, to me it would seem the brackets would mount the 6 piston caliper further out from the hub to accommodate the .625" increase in radius of the rotor. Not to mention the mounting points for the 6 piston look completely different in their location

Gotcha, I see it now. The 4 piston is definitely a solid looking caliper, and for 150 each is bonkers.

Excited to see where this goes.

Djohns 02-02-2017 05:26 PM

https://mazdaspeeds.org/index.php?th...01/#post-33003 Linky to other thread.

ryguy 3 02-02-2017 07:32 PM

Definately interested.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

ThOrZwAr 02-02-2017 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MunkieJunkie (Post 3104130)
UPDATE:

Here's what they replied to my email.

"Do you have a link to a thread on the forum we could take a look at? Or start a thread to gain interest? If there is enough interest we could start looking into making a Mazda kit."


I'll link them this thread, and I'm sure the more people that see this/the more interest we get the higher chance we have of getting a kit made.

I'd totally be down with a bbk that's decently priced... GROUP BUY! :arms:

cyber-ms3 02-04-2017 10:12 PM

I am interested

impossible 02-05-2017 07:13 PM

Fuck all that 'oem is good enough' talk, nothing wrong with more options with less weight up front. I'm glad they finally responded to someone with a MS3 after I got the cold shoulder from them in June. I'm also interested but still likely will pursue the smaller 4 pot Wilwoods from Fastbrakes to run a 15" wheel up front

Djohns 02-05-2017 07:40 PM

I have a feeling I'd like the price point of these. To be honest if I can fit a 16" wheel for my winter set up I'd be happy and more than likely pursue these.

impossible 02-05-2017 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djohns (Post 3104636)
I have a feeling I'd like the price point of these. To be honest if I can fit a 16" wheel for my winter set up I'd be happy and more than likely pursue these.

Maybe the gen1 V Brembos but the gen2 ones I doubt will clear a 16" with the brackets made for a 320mm rotor

Djohns 02-05-2017 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by impossible (Post 3104638)
Maybe the gen1 V Brembos but the gen2 ones I doubt will clear a 16" with the brackets made for a 320mm rotor

I'm pretty sure the gen1 brembos would, which is the ones I'd be looking at. Plus those are cheaper.

Astrall 02-05-2017 09:36 PM

100% Interested and would gladly buy a kit once it becomes available!

NiL 02-05-2017 11:16 PM

I would buy this if it came out. I watched the caliper flex video on youtube and cringed hard.

nindoja 02-06-2017 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by impossible (Post 3104633)
Fuck all that 'oem is good enough' talk, nothing wrong with more options with less weight up front. I'm glad they finally responded to someone with a MS3 after I got the cold shoulder from them in June. I'm also interested but still likely will pursue the smaller 4 pot Wilwoods from Fastbrakes to run a 15" wheel up front

For drag that might be fine, but I've seen nothing but fail from the Wilwoods on the track. I can't remember who @maisonvi; maybe?), but they were warping rotors at the track like nobody's business.

impossible 02-06-2017 08:55 AM

Awesome, and I doubt they had brake ducting to keep the rotors cooled. Evo guys never had a problem with them

MoMS3 02-21-2017 01:24 PM

Any updates?

Mattyhawk1 02-21-2017 03:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm attaching a spreadsheet of calipers and rotor dimensions I researched when I was looking at this exact thing years ago. Might be helpful.

MunkieJunkie 03-01-2017 09:57 AM

No update, haven't heard back from them.

KingKhan 03-15-2017 08:47 AM

Would also be interested if they made a kit for the speed 6

acidplant 03-15-2017 10:32 AM

I to am interested If they add A Speed6 kit for this

Mazdazilla6 03-17-2017 04:29 AM

Interested for an ms6 only if they can fit 16" wheels.

Edit: After some poking around on Centric's site and @Mattyhawk1;s spreadsheet, it looks like evo rotors are our best bet. Comparatively speaking the rotors are fairly similar to the sti rotors that are used in the subaru kits, the evo rotors are just 6mm smaller in diameter, 10mm shorter in height, and 2mm thicker. Now it's just a matter of making brackets.

knocturnal 03-17-2017 09:29 AM

Interested

Majmun 03-17-2017 08:40 PM

Interested

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Mazdazilla6 03-22-2017 04:36 PM

I got tired of waiting for them to not do this.

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2inbncku.jpg

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/...pshundfwe4.jpg

MoMS3 03-22-2017 05:00 PM

So you're going to design one for us MS3 losers riiiight??

Mazdazilla6 03-22-2017 05:06 PM

It's too far out right now to say yes but I'm not saying no.

MoMS3 03-22-2017 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazdazilla6 (Post 3111007)
It's too far out right now to say yes but I'm not saying no.

So in other words...two weeks?:09:

KingKhan 03-23-2017 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazdazilla6 (Post 3111004)

This is awesome!!!!! Definitely let us know how it goes, and if you offer to make and sell these.

Mazdazilla6 03-28-2017 12:20 PM

Didn't get a chance to test fit this past weekend due to rain. Should hopefully be test fitting thursday.

qtrmile beast 03-30-2017 09:57 AM

Speaking of CTS v.... this is what i have found out for those that have the Brembo BBK for the MS6...


So i have finally found some alternative brake pads for the Brembo BBK for the MS6... They are the rear brake pads for the 2005 CTS-v.. But i have a question for the brake gods out there..

Will this pads work for a replacement pad for the MS6 front pads? Will the slants on either end hurt performance? I only drag race so no auto crossing or rallying.


http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...pshp9yhrbf.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...psrfegwxbp.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...psl5fzhene.jpg


What i am concerned about is that slants on both sides of the pads if it makes any difference..


http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...pscj80zrlx.jpg


Sorry for the upside down pics...

Mazdazilla6 03-30-2017 10:09 AM

No it won't affect anything. Pad coverage only affects pad life and wear characteristics. Your braking force is determined by hydraulic pressure in the system (force), your piston size(s) (area), your rotor diameter (lever arm), and pad compound (friction coefficient). Nothing to worry about.

FYI that's a common pad shape, used by lots of cars so you have a lot of compound options.

Mazdazilla6 03-30-2017 05:26 PM

Test fit #1 was a failure. The evo rotor won't work with this caliper. Going to look at other rotor options. From there I can work on bracket dimensions. The bracket is probably going to be a tad more complex than I originally thought.

MoMS3 03-30-2017 05:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazdazilla6 (Post 3112213)
Test fit #1 was a failure. The evo rotor won't work with this caliper. Going to look at other rotor options. From there I can work on bracket dimensions. The bracket is probably going to be a tad more complex than I originally thought.

Did you check into 2000 Mustang Cobra R rotors? I remember seeing those as a possibility IIRC

Here is a pic with dimensions from Centric

Mazdazilla6 03-30-2017 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoMS3 (Post 3112216)
Did you check into 2000 Mustang Cobra R rotors? I remember seeing those as a possibility IIRC

Here is a pic with dimensions from Centric

It's a bit on the thin side. Also, for my purposes I'm not trying to make diameter larger. But thanks for the suggestion. I'm thinking the 2005 sti rotor might possibly work.

qtrmile beast 03-31-2017 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoMS3 (Post 3112216)
Did you check into 2000 Mustang Cobra R rotors? I remember seeing those as a possibility IIRC

Here is a pic with dimensions from Centric

I just bought these for my speed

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...61/index3.html

Post 96


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors

©Copyright 2008 ; 2019 Cymru Internet Services LLC | FYHN™ Autosports HQ
Ad Management plugin by RedTyger

Page generated in 0.21394 seconds with 11 queries