register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Suspension & Brakes

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Suspension & Brakes Discussion for suspension items like coilovers, springs, sway bars, mounts,chassis bracing and brakes.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 11-07-2008, 09:09 AM   #1

red07 has a brilliant futurered07 has a brilliant futurered07 has a brilliant futurered07 has a brilliant futurered07 has a brilliant futurered07 has a brilliant futurered07 has a brilliant futurered07 has a brilliant futurered07 has a brilliant futurered07 has a brilliant futurered07 has a brilliant future
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default endlink upgrade needed w/ ASB upgrade?

Hey all,

Looking to buy some Hotchkis ASB's, based on Laloosh's (and others') recommendations.

Do I need to upgrade the endlinks as well? Not too worried about the adjustment factor, but I am concerned whether the bigger, stiffer ASB's may bend or break the stock endlinks.
red07 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-07-2008, 01:12 PM   #2

Wagonman is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have not heard of people breaking the stock end links. I know some, myself included, installed adjustable endlinks on the front in order to reduce the endlink length. With shorter endlinks there is less chance of the swaybar hitting the frame. Mine are the awr endlinks set to be as short as possible and work fine.
Wagonman is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-07-2008, 01:18 PM   #3

bykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the world
Groans: 38
Groaned at 12 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

ya it's best to upgrade the endlinks if you can when you do the swaybars, you can use the stock ones but they are not the best, especially when you start upgrading other suspension parts. I work right by AWR and their stuff is really good over there.
bykeryder4life is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
Banned

CHIEFSMS3 has much to be proud ofCHIEFSMS3 has much to be proud ofCHIEFSMS3 has much to be proud ofCHIEFSMS3 has much to be proud ofCHIEFSMS3 has much to be proud ofCHIEFSMS3 has much to be proud ofCHIEFSMS3 has much to be proud ofCHIEFSMS3 has much to be proud ofCHIEFSMS3 has much to be proud of
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have the Hotchkis front and rear bars.
When I installed them I also installed the AWR adjustable end links.
I had problems with clunking and the nuts loosening.
So I contacted AWR to find out what torque that they recommended.
When I told them that I had the Hotchkis bars I was told that was my problem.
AWR said that their endlinks were designed for the OEM bars not for bars as thick as the Hotchkis bars.
The threads on the AWR endlinks is not long enough for the lock nuts to thread on completely so they continously loosen.
I went back to the stock endlinks and loctited the nuts and have had no more problems.
Thats my $.02
CHIEFSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-07-2008, 02:45 PM   #5

red07 has a brilliant futurered07 has a brilliant futurered07 has a brilliant futurered07 has a brilliant futurered07 has a brilliant futurered07 has a brilliant futurered07 has a brilliant futurered07 has a brilliant futurered07 has a brilliant futurered07 has a brilliant futurered07 has a brilliant future
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ah, that is very good to know. I'm going w/ the Hotchkis bars, so I am in the same boat. I'll save ~170 bucks and get just the bars.
red07 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-08-2008, 12:32 AM   #6

MTuning has a reputation beyond reputeMTuning has a reputation beyond reputeMTuning has a reputation beyond reputeMTuning has a reputation beyond reputeMTuning has a reputation beyond reputeMTuning has a reputation beyond reputeMTuning has a reputation beyond reputeMTuning has a reputation beyond reputeMTuning has a reputation beyond reputeMTuning has a reputation beyond reputeMTuning has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 16
Groaned at 16 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

so is that the general opinion? stock end links on aftermarket sway bars?
MTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-11-2008, 05:11 AM   #7

AutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by MTuning View Post
so is that the general opinion? stock end links on aftermarket sway bars?
If you are upgrading your sway bar, upgrade the endlinks!!! The stock ones are crap and the ball joint fails... Mine failed on the stock bar...
 Old 11-11-2008, 08:31 AM   #8
Banned

CHIEFSMS3 has much to be proud ofCHIEFSMS3 has much to be proud ofCHIEFSMS3 has much to be proud ofCHIEFSMS3 has much to be proud ofCHIEFSMS3 has much to be proud ofCHIEFSMS3 has much to be proud ofCHIEFSMS3 has much to be proud ofCHIEFSMS3 has much to be proud ofCHIEFSMS3 has much to be proud of
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by AutoXRacer View Post
If you are upgrading your sway bar, upgrade the endlinks!!! The stock ones are crap and the ball joint fails... Mine failed on the stock bar...
So what did you upgrade to?

The AWR's don't work on Hotchkis bars.

I haven't found any other options!!!
 Old 11-11-2008, 08:40 AM   #9

AutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by CHIEFSMS3 View Post
So what did you upgrade to?

The AWR's don't work on Hotchkis bars.

I haven't found any other options!!!
I'm still on stock sways... I have the AWRs.

Originally Posted by CHIEFSMS3 View Post
I have the Hotchkis front and rear bars.
When I installed them I also installed the AWR adjustable end links.
I had problems with clunking and the nuts loosening.
So I contacted AWR to find out what torque that they recommended.
When I told them that I had the Hotchkis bars I was told that was my problem.
AWR said that their endlinks were designed for the OEM bars not for bars as thick as the Hotchkis bars.
The threads on the AWR endlinks is not long enough for the lock nuts to thread on completely so they continously loosen.
I went back to the stock endlinks and loctited the nuts and have had no more problems.
Thats my $.02
Why not just buy longer bolts?
 Old 11-11-2008, 08:52 AM   #10

MTuning has a reputation beyond reputeMTuning has a reputation beyond reputeMTuning has a reputation beyond reputeMTuning has a reputation beyond reputeMTuning has a reputation beyond reputeMTuning has a reputation beyond reputeMTuning has a reputation beyond reputeMTuning has a reputation beyond reputeMTuning has a reputation beyond reputeMTuning has a reputation beyond reputeMTuning has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 16
Groaned at 16 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

how do i upgrade my end links if the aftermarket end links wont work with my RSB. i guess ill have to change the studs on them than.
MTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-11-2008, 08:54 AM   #11
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

It is not longer bolts.

It is the lower threaded heim that is the problem.

It is not long enough to let the lock nut properly

engage the threads to secure the bar to the endlink.

This is because of the added thickness of the Hotchkis bar

and probably the Cobb bars.
 Old 11-11-2008, 01:00 PM   #12

bykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the world
Groans: 38
Groaned at 12 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

we should contact AWR and tell them to fix it or make a separate set for peeps with upgraded sways like Hotchkis
bykeryder4life is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-26-2008, 12:34 AM   #13
Jackal

Breakdown81 is the leader of the worldBreakdown81 is the leader of the worldBreakdown81 is the leader of the worldBreakdown81 is the leader of the worldBreakdown81 is the leader of the worldBreakdown81 is the leader of the worldBreakdown81 is the leader of the worldBreakdown81 is the leader of the worldBreakdown81 is the leader of the worldBreakdown81 is the leader of the worldBreakdown81 is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,871 Times in 285 Posts
Groans: 56
Groaned at 14 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Racing beat also makes a set of upgraded links for the sway bars. The caveat is that they are branded as an MZ3 option. I would suggest contacting Racing Beat and confirming if their product is applicable to the MS3 and hotchkis bars. I believe they may be as they are originally made to be used with Racing Beats own sway bars. Racing beats Front sway bar is 28.5mm in thickness hotchkis' FSB is 29mm, while the RB rear bar is 27.0 mm and the Hotchkis RSB is 32mm. RB only makes upgraded endlinks for the FSB.

Racing Beat can be reached at 714-779-8677
Breakdown81 is offline   Reply With Quote