register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Suspension & Brakes

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Suspension & Brakes Discussion for suspension items like coilovers, springs, sway bars, mounts,chassis bracing and brakes.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 02-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #1

kevdog is the leader of the worldkevdog is the leader of the worldkevdog is the leader of the worldkevdog is the leader of the worldkevdog is the leader of the worldkevdog is the leader of the worldkevdog is the leader of the worldkevdog is the leader of the worldkevdog is the leader of the worldkevdog is the leader of the worldkevdog is the leader of the world
Groans: 4
Groaned at 15 Times in 14 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default H&R springs / Koni Yellow bumpstop question

Pulled the trigger on a set of H&R springs and Koni Yellows for my 08 MS3. I have been reading bump stop related threads for days now trying to decide what type to put in, and if any cutting is necessary. I know that my rear stops are still in decent condition, but the fronts are destroyed. SO... the main question is;

What are others with the same spring / strut / shock combo running? What stops did you end up using? Did you trim them? etc... I know there are FCM's and ground control, but which is best?

10 years ago i would have just slammed the car and dealt with it, but now I actually want a good ride with my low stance

Any input is appreciated.
 Old 02-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #2

Design is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,030 Times in 622 Posts
Groans: 10
Groaned at 9 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Some are reporting the FC and GC are essentially the same height and of the same material. So if it were me I'd go with the cheaper one. I will always suggest leaving the rears untouched. They technically assist the rear springs during jounce.

Ownership & Build Thread
Design is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Design For This Useful Post:
ant_wailes (03-08-2012), kevdog (02-10-2012), Nliiitend1 (02-10-2012), SKiZ0TT (02-13-2012)
 Old 02-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #3

Nliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,631 Times in 3,121 Posts
Groans: 67
Groaned at 17 Times in 16 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

^^This.

2008 MS3 GT
2016 MX-5 Club

Nliiitend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #4

kevdog is the leader of the worldkevdog is the leader of the worldkevdog is the leader of the worldkevdog is the leader of the worldkevdog is the leader of the worldkevdog is the leader of the worldkevdog is the leader of the worldkevdog is the leader of the worldkevdog is the leader of the worldkevdog is the leader of the worldkevdog is the leader of the world
Groans: 4
Groaned at 15 Times in 14 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Design View Post
Some are reporting the FC and GC are essentially the same height and of the same material. So if it were me I'd go with the cheaper one. I will always suggest leaving the rears untouched. They technically assist the rear springs during jounce.
shit... just dropped cash on the fatcat fronts... oh well! So the rears should remain the same length even with the car lowered?

thanks for the replys!
 Old 02-10-2012, 06:11 PM   #5

Design is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yes. Most manufacturers offset the rear spring rate slightly to compensate.

Ownership & Build Thread
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Design For This Useful Post:
kevdog (02-10-2012), SKiZ0TT (02-13-2012)
 Old 01-29-2013, 09:32 AM   #6

thatsmrgimp2u is the leader of the worldthatsmrgimp2u is the leader of the worldthatsmrgimp2u is the leader of the worldthatsmrgimp2u is the leader of the worldthatsmrgimp2u is the leader of the worldthatsmrgimp2u is the leader of the worldthatsmrgimp2u is the leader of the worldthatsmrgimp2u is the leader of the worldthatsmrgimp2u is the leader of the worldthatsmrgimp2u is the leader of the worldthatsmrgimp2u is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Did you wind up cutting the front stops at all? Im going to start ordering parts next month so I want to get all my ducks in a row. I am going with swift R springs and koni yellows, probably with the whiteline WALK as well. Seems like everything im finding of worth is for the FSD's on stock or cobb springs...
| CP-E 75 Duro RMM/TMM + TBE | Corksport SR/TI | Forge BPV | Cobb AP- DJ Tuned | NGK Plugs | Hotchkis RSB @ 140% | PTP IM Gasket/TB Coolant Delete + BSD | Autotech FPi | AEM Meth Injection | SU TMIC | JBR SSP + Stage2 OCC |PG Oil Filter Conversion | Toyota Injector Seals | Bizzerko PnP IM | Grimmspeed EBCS | Ingalls ETD | Sonic Tuning S3 Coilovers |

Fluids
Rotella T6 A lot
Rislone Engine Treatment
Motorcraft XT-M5-QS(trans)
VP Methanol
~Splash of E85~
thatsmrgimp2u is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-27-2013, 04:36 AM   #7

alextheguineapig is the leader of the worldalextheguineapig is the leader of the worldalextheguineapig is the leader of the worldalextheguineapig is the leader of the worldalextheguineapig is the leader of the worldalextheguineapig is the leader of the worldalextheguineapig is the leader of the worldalextheguineapig is the leader of the worldalextheguineapig is the leader of the worldalextheguineapig is the leader of the worldalextheguineapig is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Design View Post
I hate to bump this thread, but is that right? I'm getting swift Springs on koni Yellows in the next few weeks and I just want to make sure I do it right. I shouldn't cut the rear or change them for the gc ones? This is just the first thread in searching that said that.

SOLD!
2008 Sunlight Silver MS3:
BNR: S3 V2
Cobb: V3 AccessPort
CNT: Catted Downpipe / Cat-Back Exhaust
Damond Motorsports: RMM
Eibach: Prokit
HTP: 3" Intake System (One-piece)
JBR: Rear Sway Bar
Koni: Yellows
MAC: 3-Port EBCS
Morimoto: HID Kit / The Retrofit Source clear lens swap.
NATOR FMIC: Cx Racing piping / Treadstone TR8
alextheguineapig is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #8

Not Ranked  0 score     

Most won't recommend replacing the rears. In addition to loss of spring rate under cornering, you'll have to find a way to reattach the dust shields. They are bolt-on plastic cylinders that attach to the third ring of rear jounce bumper.

Ownership & Build Thread
The Following User Says Thank You to Design For This Useful Post:
Nliiitend1 (08-29-2013)
 Old 08-27-2013, 10:21 AM   #9

SLOWHATCH is the leader of the worldSLOWHATCH is the leader of the worldSLOWHATCH is the leader of the worldSLOWHATCH is the leader of the worldSLOWHATCH is the leader of the worldSLOWHATCH is the leader of the worldSLOWHATCH is the leader of the worldSLOWHATCH is the leader of the worldSLOWHATCH is the leader of the worldSLOWHATCH is the leader of the worldSLOWHATCH is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,013 Posts
Groans: 274
Groaned at 103 Times in 23 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by raigekijin View Post
I hate to bump this thread, but is that right? I'm getting swift Springs on koni Yellows in the next few weeks and I just want to make sure I do it right. I shouldn't cut the rear or change them for the gc ones? This is just the first thread in searching that said that.
Order the ground control bump stops. They are cheaper and work great. I would say don't cut the rears and see how it feels. I cut approx 1/2" off my rears with no negative effects. You will likely need to pull the rear shocks a time or two, so you can change the settings. You can cut them then if you feel necessary.
SLOWHATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #10

jmen73 is a glorious beacon of lightjmen73 is a glorious beacon of lightjmen73 is a glorious beacon of lightjmen73 is a glorious beacon of lightjmen73 is a glorious beacon of lightjmen73 is a glorious beacon of light
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have the yellows with Eibach pro springs. I didn't cut anything other than my knuckle when reattaching the rears. I left my original OEM stops on my rear shocks (full soft) and they are fine. The fronts (medium soft) have new OEM stops and pivot bearings. I would order a spare OEM pivot bearing for the front. One of them may go out with the tighter suspension. I have had to replace both after swapping the suspension. Note: the OEM bump stops are longer and softer than the FC stops.
2007 Red MS3: 4" ported PTE 5858, HTP intake, HTP undermount, Treadstone TR8, HKS BOV (VTA), Custom exhaust mani, V-band dp, CNT exhaust, ACT clutch, ACT 6-puck PP, Damond PMM, RMM & TMM, Koni yellows, Eibach prokit springs, Damond OCCs (vented & not).
jmen73 is offline   Reply With Quote