register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Suspension & Brakes

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Suspension & Brakes Discussion for suspension items like coilovers, springs, sway bars, mounts,chassis bracing and brakes.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 10-05-2014, 04:50 PM   #1

Code Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the world
Thanked 9,779 Times in 3,854 Posts
Groans: 17
Groaned at 32 Times in 22 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Help with front strut

gen pu, how the fuck do I press the front strut back into the spindle??? We tried securing the top hat first, then jacking up the control arm, the strut is not going in, we only compressed the spring. Now we are trying to wiggle the strut in without bolting the top hat, no dice either. We hammered the strut out, if we need to hammer it back in, there is not enough space to do it from the bottom. Any other ideas? Put some lube on the strut and in the spindle?

@phate;

2017 Subaru BRZ
MCS TT1 coilovers|Brembo BBK|6UL 17x9|Trofeo R|ACE 350|flex fuel|Delicious tuned
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-05-2014, 05:02 PM   #2

SaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I had trouble getting it to seat also. One side I was able to simply put a jack under the ball joint and jack the car up. The other side gave me trouble. Basically I had to put the wheel back on and lower the car back down on the wheels a few times, dropping it pretty hard from the floor jack back down. Basically I dropped the car down from a foot off the ground
SaveMelMac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SaveMelMac For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (10-05-2014)
 Old 10-05-2014, 05:05 PM   #3
Eth Fiend

phate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the world
Thanked 21,702 Times in 5,865 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Make sure it's going in straight. Sometimes you need to grab the knuckle and move it around a bit until it lines up. If the strut is misaligned at all it just binds.

If you absolutely can't get it, spread the strut holder piece slightly apart. Don't do it much, because it can mess it up.

www.mazdamotorsports.com <<--Mazda racer support program that is free to join and will save you a ton of money.
phate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phate For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (10-05-2014)
 Old 10-05-2014, 05:09 PM   #4

Deldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,293 Times in 1,323 Posts
Groans: 118
Groaned at 44 Times in 34 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Like is it not going in at all or is the tab not sliding in the right spot. Gen pu still has the tab on RIGHT?

lots of antifreeze

Sent from my gs5

Deldran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deldran For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (10-05-2014)
 Old 10-05-2014, 05:14 PM   #5

MazdaBoy2.3 is the leader of the worldMazdaBoy2.3 is the leader of the worldMazdaBoy2.3 is the leader of the worldMazdaBoy2.3 is the leader of the worldMazdaBoy2.3 is the leader of the worldMazdaBoy2.3 is the leader of the worldMazdaBoy2.3 is the leader of the worldMazdaBoy2.3 is the leader of the worldMazdaBoy2.3 is the leader of the worldMazdaBoy2.3 is the leader of the worldMazdaBoy2.3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,975 Posts
Groans: 51
Groaned at 29 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

You most likely will need to stretch where it goes in to the spindle. I used a fat screwdriver, or a small crow bar, and pounded it in to spread it. Just be careful not to hit the cv boot. ;-)

The other option is to reverse thread the bolt and place some metal in between, which will spread it.

Good luck.

Now i drive a slow stockish Focus ST...
MazdaBoy2.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MazdaBoy2.3 For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (10-05-2014)
 Old 10-05-2014, 05:19 PM   #6

Code Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

The tab is aligned, we are trying the reverse bolt method to spread the mount, the strut went halfway in and is stuck for now, will try to spread some more or maybe we should just lower the car at this point.

2017 Subaru BRZ
MCS TT1 coilovers|Brembo BBK|6UL 17x9|Trofeo R|ACE 350|flex fuel|Delicious tuned
 Old 10-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #7

Zoomer1987 has a spectacular aura aboutZoomer1987 has a spectacular aura about
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I had some problems too with my H&R coilovers but what I did was secure the strut and top hat, then line up the spindle and bottom of strut, clean inside of the spindle, use ALOT of penetrating oil and then jack up from bottom, i just changed both of my front bushing and top hats last night and that's how I did it, worked like a charm, getting them to release was far harder, long 2x4 and a metal hammer solved that problem
Zoomer1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zoomer1987 For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (10-05-2014)
 Old 10-05-2014, 05:36 PM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok, the strut is in, it got stuck midway, but we jacked it up high, then dropped real quick and it went in a bit, so we started jacking it up and dropping down, and after several rounds, it went completely in.

2017 Subaru BRZ
 Old 10-09-2014, 08:50 AM   #9

EcKid1974 will become famous soon enoughEcKid1974 will become famous soon enough
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I had the same exact issue and my car was brand new when I did mine I DP'd the shit out of it then had to hammer it back in with the air impact hammer luckily I was at a garage because there was no way it was going back in
EcKid1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EcKid1974 For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (10-09-2014)
 Old 10-09-2014, 08:52 AM   #10

Gr8Speed is the leader of the worldGr8Speed is the leader of the worldGr8Speed is the leader of the worldGr8Speed is the leader of the worldGr8Speed is the leader of the worldGr8Speed is the leader of the worldGr8Speed is the leader of the worldGr8Speed is the leader of the worldGr8Speed is the leader of the worldGr8Speed is the leader of the worldGr8Speed is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,747 Posts
Groans: 101
Groaned at 123 Times in 84 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Just play with it. It will eventually drop in. I got it to what I thought was aligned, it dropped an inch then bound and then I hit the spindle with a mallet a few times and it dropped in.
Code Monkey (10-09-2014)