register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Suspension & Brakes

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Suspension & Brakes Discussion for suspension items like coilovers, springs, sway bars, mounts,chassis bracing and brakes.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 02-08-2019, 07:18 PM   #1

saxmanbrad has a reputation beyond reputesaxmanbrad has a reputation beyond reputesaxmanbrad has a reputation beyond reputesaxmanbrad has a reputation beyond reputesaxmanbrad has a reputation beyond reputesaxmanbrad has a reputation beyond reputesaxmanbrad has a reputation beyond reputesaxmanbrad has a reputation beyond reputesaxmanbrad has a reputation beyond reputesaxmanbrad has a reputation beyond reputesaxmanbrad has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Koni Yellow/Pro Kit assembly question

Hey folks,

I'm in the process of overhauling my shocks/struts and bought everything to assemble a new set of shocks, struts and springs. This includes Koni Yellows (8741 1490L,R) and the Eibach ProKit. I also have brand new top hats and strut bearings (Motorcraft DV6Z-18198 and CV6Z-18183-A) I began assembling the fronts (not re-using springs that are on the car) and noticed that spring really did not have to be compressed much at all for the top hat bolt to be tightened all the way until it bottomed out on the shock shaft. I released the tension on the spring after tightening the top bolt and found that there really isn't much load on the spring at all. I can compress the spring by hand and it will stop touching the strut bearing. If you knock the assembled strut on the floor, there is a clunk because there isn't much load on the spring.

Am I missing something? Does the sag of the vehicle weight make up for this, or if I install it as is will it be a clunky disaster? I guess what I'm asking is if in the Yellow/ProKit mate up, is there very little load on the spring when in the assembled strut?

If you guys have any input, please chime in. I'd like to figure it out before it goes into the car.

Cheers!
 Old 02-11-2019, 07:00 AM   #2

Loophole35 is just really niceLoophole35 is just really niceLoophole35 is just really niceLoophole35 is just really nice
Groans: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Nope you aren't "missing" anything the front springs do not have much if any pre-load in the uncompressed strut. My H&R sports were the same in my yellows.

BTW until the springs settle in the front you will get a few pops in the front when turning at low speeds. This usually goes away in a few days

Mod list:
Cobb RMM, TIP, SRI w air box, CBE and AP3
Corksport Short throw plate w/ shifter bushings, TMIC and BPV
CPE catted DP
Tune done by Will at PD-Tuning (still slow need BT)
150k miles on original motor and turbo
H&R sport springs w/ Koni yellows
17x9 +48 6UL with 245/45R17 Flaken Azenis
Loophole35 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-13-2019, 03:41 PM   #3

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,909 Times in 1,048 Posts
Groans: 154
Groaned at 47 Times in 31 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Indeed, the gap will be gone when the vehicle is returned to ride height and the spring and strut compressed. This temporary gap may be exaggerated with shorter springs, and certainly will seem so with the assembled strut, spring, bearing and hat assembled and on the workbench. In that state there is no preload whatsoever. This is normal.

Much of that gap goes away once you compress enough to get the bottom of the strut into the bottom of the knuckle and locked down with the cross bolt. You will then be rotating the spring and strut bearing to make sure it is aligned properly, strut bearing tab to the outside, spring base rotated against the stop, and then jacking the bottom of the knuckle up in order to put the sway bar end link back in place. The gap will disappear as you do this. You will probably have to use that jack to press the strut bottom into the knuckle to its resting position, anyway.

With the vehicle back on the ground, there will be no gap.

Sunlight Silver '08 MS3 GT Mods: (Sold 1/25/2019 after 10+ years of ownership)
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.

Last edited by MSMS3; 02-13-2019 at 03:53 PM.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote