register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Suspension & Brakes

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Suspension & Brakes Discussion for suspension items like coilovers, springs, sway bars, mounts,chassis bracing and brakes.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 06-29-2017, 10:52 AM   #1

Lex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default KW V3 rear struts failed after 36,400 miles

I do believe my rear KW struts are failing after only 36,400 miles.

I put in new Moog rear endlinks and new energy suspension bushings on my JBR rear anti-sway bar (max setting is sooo sweet) to make sure the loud clanking I was getting over small bumps wasn't from the sway bar or its components, and in fact it wasn't. The noise persists.

I called KW and they said that it was normal at 36kmiles. sheesh.

Anyone else had KWs fail so quickly? Luckily I didnt get the Mazdaspeed version with no warranty.

Why does this platform chew up rear struts so fast? My OEM shocks only lasted 50k miles and failed in dangerous fashion.
Lex2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-29-2017, 12:10 PM   #2

Oshiguru is just really niceOshiguru is just really niceOshiguru is just really niceOshiguru is just really niceOshiguru is just really nice
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have KW v1s, and all 4 are leaking/shot after 1 year and 30k kms. I did put a lot of wear on them (2-3x a month autox and lots of track days). Hopefully they can send you a new set so you can install it and mail back the old ones for warranty. I know bilstein does that but unsure if kw does.
Oshiguru is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-29-2017, 12:16 PM   #3

Lex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Wow they died fast!

KW makes you send you in the damaged units for warranty repair with 2-3 week turnaround time. You must have receipt of purchase.

I think Ill send all 4 for a check while I'm at it. Glad I didnt buy the Mazdaspeed branded units.
 Old 07-11-2017, 09:22 AM   #4

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Have you see the warranty RMA form? Its kinda over the top. They ask you to make 8 measurements and get the numbers off of every part. How many horses your car makes, etc etc etc sheesh.
 Old 07-11-2017, 09:43 AM   #5

Djohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,389 Times in 1,289 Posts
Groans: 99
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yea I had to fill that out when I got my fronts rebuilt. I left a lot of it blank haha
The go: Depo racing: downpipe (100 cell count), custom: FMIC. HTP: 3.5" intake, under route piping. JBR: shortshifter, RSB. Autotech: HPFP internals. Go fast bits: hybrid BPV, VMR: 18x8.5 V710s, Bridgestone: potenza re760 245/40/18, KW: v3 coilovers,SPC: camber arms, freektuned, Damond Motorsports: dual OCC, PMM, PCV plate, RMM, TMM, EGR delete, FoSt mani, Corksport: battery box(fuck this thing), injector seals, Cobb: EBCS, AP v3. AEM: methanol. Seibon: carbon fiber hood. UR: catback. Bosch: 3bar. BNR: s4, DNP: EWG manifold, Tial: 38mm mvs EWG.

The show: 5% tint all around, 50% tint windshield, rally armor mudflaps, Sony XAV64BT touchscreen headunit, katskin leather interior, CPE relocation plate, Maisonvi weighted shift knob, Corksport hoodscoop, black housing headlights.

Soon:built motor
Djohns is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-11-2017, 08:53 PM   #6

cyber-ms3 has a reputation beyond reputecyber-ms3 has a reputation beyond reputecyber-ms3 has a reputation beyond reputecyber-ms3 has a reputation beyond reputecyber-ms3 has a reputation beyond reputecyber-ms3 has a reputation beyond reputecyber-ms3 has a reputation beyond reputecyber-ms3 has a reputation beyond reputecyber-ms3 has a reputation beyond reputecyber-ms3 has a reputation beyond reputecyber-ms3 has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 6 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Lex2007 View Post
I do believe my rear KW struts are failing after only 36,400 miles.

I put in new Moog rear endlinks and new energy suspension bushings on my JBR rear anti-sway bar (max setting is sooo sweet) to make sure the loud clanking I was getting over small bumps wasn't from the sway bar or its components, and in fact it wasn't. The noise persists.

I called KW and they said that it was normal at 36kmiles. sheesh.

Anyone else had KWs fail so quickly? Luckily I didnt get the Mazdaspeed version with no warranty.

Why does this platform chew up rear struts so fast? My OEM shocks only lasted 50k miles and failed in dangerous fashion.
From my experience and at Chrysler, local shops and school, shocks generally have to be replaced around the 40k-50k mile range. Of course excessive wear and tear i.e. offroading, high speed over rough terrain will reduce that number.

Honestly, 36k miles is not so far off depending on the road conditions. Regarding the 50k miles of your previous shocks, I'm surprised it even lasted 5k. You might have even been riding on failed shocks the whole time which is why it "failed in dangerous fashion".
cyber-ms3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-12-2017, 12:29 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by cyber-ms3 View Post
From my experience and at Chrysler, local shops and school, shocks generally have to be replaced around the 40k-50k mile range. Of course excessive wear and tear i.e. offroading, high speed over rough terrain will reduce that number.

Honestly, 36k miles is not so far off depending on the road conditions. Regarding the 50k miles of your previous shocks, I'm surprised it even lasted 5k. You might have even been riding on failed shocks the whole time which is why it "failed in dangerous fashion".
Wow you have some low expectations. Yes I realize most people expect shocks to last longer then is realistic, but 36k for $1800 suspension. Street use only. That's below my expectations.

60-80k miles of street use as a threshold at which struts starts to misbehave makes sense. Thats what I consider normal.

MAZDA's OEM rears went only 50k before truly catastrophic failure that made the car dangerous to drive. That's unacceptable.

My rear KW V3 struts are dangerous at this point. I can feel the rear floating back and forth now.

Im glad I bought the KWs and not the Mazdaspeed units which have no warranty (although Ive heard KW sometimes honors a warranty). That being said, its still a major PIA to take this all off, ship, wait 3 weeks, and then reinstall.
 Old 07-16-2017, 01:19 AM   #8

SpeedyTurd will become famous soon enoughSpeedyTurd will become famous soon enough
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I think they have recommended height settings And break in period? I could be wrong. I thought I seen that in some paper work that came with my KW v3s.

Also dropping the car on it's nuts maxing it out will even last for ever. More wear and tear.

Shit, just realised my account is back in brownie mode
SpeedyTurd is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-17-2017, 09:22 AM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Failed KW front struts causing vibration and whirring noise at highway speed

Originally Posted by SpeedyTurd View Post
I think they have recommended height settings And break in period? I could be wrong. I thought I seen that in some paper work that came with my KW v3s.

Also dropping the car on it's nuts maxing it out will even last for ever. More wear and tear.

Shit, just realised my account is back in brownie mode
They give you a range of acceptable heights and I was within that normal range.

I took out the KW suspension and put in my old Koni yellows on OEM springs. Holy 4x4. I could conquer Mt. Kilimanjaro with the ground clearance I have. The fender gap is obscene. The steering feels much less responsive compared to the KWs.

But more interesting is that failed KW front struts (and/or KW thin profile strut mounts) were causing or exacerbating a vibration and whirring noise at highway speed (which may be right front bearing.. or my tire).

It was a very loud whirring noise when on the accelerator above 50 MPH and a vibration in the floor pan. I spent many hours tracking down that noise, to no avail.

The rear struts were completely dead. As sin...the piston was compressed and non responsive. When those struts die they die fast.
 Old 07-17-2017, 11:20 AM   #10
sho

sho is the leader of the worldsho is the leader of the worldsho is the leader of the worldsho is the leader of the worldsho is the leader of the worldsho is the leader of the worldsho is the leader of the worldsho is the leader of the worldsho is the leader of the worldsho is the leader of the worldsho is the leader of the world
Groans: 6
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

96k miles on my mazdaspeed coilovers (KW v3's). Not a single issue yet.
Engine/exhaust goodies:
-Built bottom end -Manley H-Beams, Manley 88mm platinum series pistons, stock head, stock head studs, ACT 6puck w/ prolite flywheel, cp-e exhaust mani, PTE5862, 6th port w/ Bosch 2200's and aeromotive 325 stealth pump, tr1235 fmic w/ 3" cold side

Tuned by Realgib3
sho is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-17-2017, 12:01 PM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by sho View Post
96k miles on my mazdaspeed coilovers (KW v3's). Not a single issue yet.
That's amazing. And I havent raced my car. Just drive it daily...mixed city/highway. OEM wheels and tires with Barone rear antisway bar.
 Old 08-09-2017, 10:48 AM   #12

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Got the rebuilt struts back. Took 3 weeks despite next day shipping to them because they ship super slow ground.

Anyway, they cleaned up the struts and added new bump stops and piston bellows (the black covers) with a new design. The original bellows fell apart in a few months. I dont know what else they did other than change the seals as they dont really offer up much info. They also include a new piston nut.

I bought new bearings for the front and new lower spring perches (the ones that you use to adjust height). The plastic threads on mine were kinda worn and the plastic threads for the allen screw which holds the perch in position were toast.

I gotta say the OEM springs with Koni yellow's is so much more reasonable on bad roads. But man do those OEM springs SUCK. Floaty and a total lack of precision. I think having the rear JBR anti-sway bar at its stiffest setting is too much for the stock springs to handle. I experienced some weird body roll and secondary body movements over bumps at highway speed with this temporary set up. Kinda scary frankly.

Here's 2 of the 4.

[IMG]IMG-20170809-WA0005 by xcvx4, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by Lex2007; 08-09-2017 at 12:14 PM.