register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Suspension & Brakes

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Suspension & Brakes Discussion for suspension items like coilovers, springs, sway bars, mounts,chassis bracing and brakes.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 06-01-2018, 11:32 PM   #1

wtf lol is a jewel in the roughwtf lol is a jewel in the roughwtf lol is a jewel in the rough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Let's get high

Ladies and gentlemen, it's time.

The time has come for me to turn away from the ways of being stock height and turn my gaze upon the heavens.

My 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 has been my baby from day 1. Bought her brand new from a Mazdaspeed dealer that was a few hours away from my house and I learned to drive stick when I drove her off the lot. She's been with me for 11 years and has seen 2 failed relationships, 3 kids, a dog, some random heckin cat, and lots of miles. I've been through good weather, bad weather, good roads, bad roads, and off-road. Stock height isn't doin it for me anymore.

I want to lift her up. I want to install mud tires. I want to get a bull bar. I want a light bar. I want mud flaps!

Dammit y'all, I'm about to get country.

I've seen the lifted Miatas and thought to myself, "Self? How many lifted MS3s do you see driving around? None. How many lifted MS3s do you see online? None." Well ladies and gents, that got me thinking...

Why not?

Hell, the very thought of lifting the Mazdaspeed gets me so happy every time I think about it!

Let me cut to the chase:

I want to lift the MS3, but I'm not sure which is the best approach. Should I get CX5 shocks and use that to lift it? (I don't even know if that'll work) Or should I find a lift kit and do it that way?

I'm not trying to do rally races. I'm not trying to get crazy. I'm not trying to get stuck in the mud with a FWD car lol.
Simply put, I wanna do something a good bit different, I just need some advice before jumping down this rabbit hole.

Stay sexy.
wtf lol is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wtf lol For This Useful Post:
5doorsoffury (06-02-2018)
 Old 06-02-2018, 09:14 AM   #2

LenSpeed6 is a name known to allLenSpeed6 is a name known to allLenSpeed6 is a name known to allLenSpeed6 is a name known to allLenSpeed6 is a name known to allLenSpeed6 is a name known to all
Not Ranked  0 score     

maybe just get a subaru....
Sure Diff Mounts, JBR Intake, JBR I/C Hoses, Wiesco pistons .5mm over, Molnar H-Beam Rods, King bearings, New to me Cylinder Block, CS turbo, CS catted turbo back exhaust, CS HPFP, CS EBCS, CS injector seals, AP v3, FREEKTUNE, rebuilt clutch from Falcon Clutch with kevlar lining, DM PCV plate, DM stage 1 OCC, EcoBoost oil pump
Soon: CS HPFP line, fix oil leak from turbo return line and some more stuff....

To think... this is suppose to be my winter car... because,

'72 AMC Javelin AMX 366 CI, 4speed 13.13 quickest 1/4 mile et so far

'12 1/2 Triumph Daytona 675R stock some how
LenSpeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LenSpeed6 For This Useful Post:
Thor Hammer (06-04-2018)
 Old 06-02-2018, 09:18 AM   #3

wtf lol is a jewel in the roughwtf lol is a jewel in the roughwtf lol is a jewel in the rough
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Lol no. Not buying a new vehicle. Why not just modify what I already have? It's easier to go out and buy a Subie or a truck, but where's the fun in a new car payment?

Nah. This is something that needs to be done.
 Old 06-02-2018, 03:13 PM   #4

5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world
Groans: 74
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I wonder if you can get coilovers and just adjust them to max height? Just jacking it up will throw off the alignment so you have to do something about that. You can see this when you jack up the car and the wheels are hanging out in the air.
PTE 5858 Vband .82ar // Tial EWG // CPE Mani // 3" Turboback // JBR Under route hot pipe // MD ST mani+spacer with PI // Siemens 60lb Injectors // Splitsecond inj controller // JBR 88 duro RMM/TMM // MD PMM // TWM Full replacement shifter // JBR CC // Autotech FP Internals // SP63 SB/Manley rods SP63 pro pistons // Treadstone FMIC TR824 // FoMoCo Tranny Jizz // South Bend Clutch Stage 3 enduro// GFB Respons // FJ 4" intake // WMI 100% VPM1 // Air Lift 1000 in rear // N2MB WOT BOX
Rfinkle tune in progress

The Brooklyn beater: 2005 1.8 Auto Sentra

5doorsoffury is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-02-2018, 06:53 PM   #5

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 21
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

It gets real tricky with a strut set-up to do any type of long-travel suspension.

Good luck...really.
Versatuner, 3-bar MAP, ITV22, CP-e TMIC
CS Turbo/DP/RP/HPFP/BPV/R-DiffMount
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Rear Russian Bushings, Poly FSB Bushings
Magnaflow CBE, ACT 6-puck/Streetlite
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/OCC/PCV Plate
Other rides:
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD - 355k mile Speed support vehicle.
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken (since Christmas 2015 and I really need to get rid of it)
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44)
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-02-2018, 08:19 PM   #6

kTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the world
Groans: 10
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

I wanna see one jacked up, I saw a geo metro one time for sale on craigslist on 35" tires, I still regret not buying it
 Old 06-04-2018, 04:20 PM   #7

Thor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the world
Groans: 195
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

How many inches of lift? You could do coil spacers. And then you have to contend with geometry issues and ability to get it in alignment.
2007 MS6- H&R Coilovers/ C-PE Catted DP/Corksport HPFP Internals/ AEM CAI/ ETS TMIC/ CPE Austenite Dual CBE/ CPE TIH/ Synapse Synchronic/ Freektuned/ AP Short Shifter/ AWR RMM and OEM TMM with CS Inserts/ Southbend Stage 2 Endurance/Stop Tech Slotted Rear and DBA T3 4000 Series Front with EBC Reds/CPE xFlex Rear Diff Mount/ Whiteline Rear Sway Bar/DSS Level 2.9 Rear Axles
Thor Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-07-2018, 09:29 PM   #8
MSF's Punishing Member

Pu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,251 Times in 1,816 Posts
Groans: 539
Groaned at 179 Times in 116 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

so OP you basically want a more modern less capable AMC Eagle?
 Old 06-07-2018, 09:36 PM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm looking for a 3" lift. I thought about coilovers, but how stable is that?

I'm looking into spacers now, but I'm still not sold on the idea. There's an off-road shop nearby and I'm thinking about talking to them and getting some ideas.

If I saw a GEO Metro on 35" tires, I would be in awe.

Hahaha yes, a more modern AMC Eagle indeed. I forgot all about that car.

When I get more info and closer to build time, I'll let you gorgeous people know.

Til then, stay sexy.
 Old 06-08-2018, 02:22 PM   #10

GroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the world
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

no chance of 3" unless you have a pile of money to spend. Back in reality land you could easily do a 1-1.5" coil spacer kit( spacers for the back coils and top hat spacers for the front struts for about $150 do some shock and brake line extensions for another $200 and then fit a set of 29" a/ts and have an LCOG apocalypse build.

Silver 06 MS6 - DD stealth build - no show, all go....
'12 Abarth Challenge Car - very loud, very fast, very inconvenient to drive on the street...
GroceryGtr is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-08-2018, 03:10 PM   #11

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Not Ranked  0 score     

you can probably figure out how to lift it with spacers but for axles and steering angle it could be another level of challenge.

Maybe you can lower the engine/trans with modded engine mounts.
Lifted pickup use a steering rack extension and lower the rack and pignon to reduce the angle. With the speed you would need to lower all the cross frame to lift the body above it and keep everything else at the right level...

With a welding machine, a garage lift and a lot of time almost anything is possible but IMO i just don't get why doing it when you can have a CX7. Same as when i see lowered SUV or pickup i ask myself why....why lowering a F150 when you can get a mustang...

Btw i did see a red one lifted a bit with bars and bigger tires on pictures...

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-09-2018, 04:20 PM   #12

LenSpeed6 is a name known to allLenSpeed6 is a name known to allLenSpeed6 is a name known to allLenSpeed6 is a name known to allLenSpeed6 is a name known to allLenSpeed6 is a name known to all
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Pu Manchu View Post
so OP you basically want a more modern less capable AMC Eagle?
Hey man, the Eagle was far ahead of its time!

Not that I'm partial to AMC at all.....

so i guess this would make slightly more sense to do to an MS6 rather then a fwd where you would probably get stuck... a lot...
Sure Diff Mounts, JBR Intake, JBR I/C Hoses, Wiesco pistons .5mm over, Molnar H-Beam Rods, King bearings, New to me Cylinder Block, CS turbo, CS catted turbo back exhaust, CS HPFP, CS EBCS, CS injector seals, AP v3, FREEKTUNE, rebuilt clutch from Falcon Clutch with kevlar lining, DM PCV plate, DM stage 1 OCC, EcoBoost oil pump
Soon: CS HPFP line, fix oil leak from turbo return line and some more stuff....

To think... this is suppose to be my winter car... because,

'72 AMC Javelin AMX 366 CI, 4speed 13.13 quickest 1/4 mile et so far

'12 1/2 Triumph Daytona 675R stock some how
LenSpeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-12-2018, 02:51 PM   #13

Molly2008 will become famous soon enoughMolly2008 will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

I want to do the same thing to my 2008 MS3. I would only like 0.5-1" more of travel to help get my over the curb in my driveway and to give me a little more clearance on dirt roads and in the snow. A little more travel would be nice to soften the ride over all the potholes as well.

I have read in a few places now where people talked about using CX5 springs, but I have yet to see a write up from someone who did it successfully. Are there affordable coilovers that can add up to an inch of ride height and hopefully a little comfort? I'm considering going to the junk yard to pull some springs off a CX5, but I want a part checklist before I go wasting my time.

Seems like a lot of the parts in the sticky threads are no longer available. Any ideas on a good buy for around $500 or am I dreaming?
Molly2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-13-2018, 07:45 AM   #14

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Not Ranked  0 score     

cx7 rear coil may get easier to find and i can confirm it is longer and a lot more stiffier for the same external diameter size. (Was planing to use a set to avoid squat) This could be enough to give you the small rear lift that you are looking for but i don't know for the front and it remain limited. If you rise the suspension, axles angle would limit you. it may be easy to lower both side engine support but for the rear one, you would need to go custom unless you plan to lower the whole crossmember. (And droping the front cross member works against the goal to increase clearance.)

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote