register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Suspension & Brakes

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Suspension & Brakes Discussion for suspension items like coilovers, springs, sway bars, mounts,chassis bracing and brakes.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 05-03-2018, 07:32 AM   #1

chad38davis is an unknown quantity at this point
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default MS3 Gen 1 Suspension Issues

First off, let me introduce myself to the forum. This is my first post so I'm sorry if I make a rookie error or show any noob like behavior.

I've read the other threads over suspension issues that sound to have the same problem, but I figured some of you guys would have a little more insight. So my car has been making a slight clunking noise when going over bumps in the road for quite a while. I did a much needed upgrade to the car and installed bc racing coilovers on the car. The clunking seemed to stop for a while after the coilovers, but within the past two weeks its come back and it's way worse!

The best way to describe the problem is when going over any slight bump or pothole or even and uneven surface on the road the car makes a disheartening clunking noise. I can tell the noise sounds to mainly be coming from the left front. I just want to fix the problem soon before it turns into a bigger issue. I read that it could possible be ball joints and that the lower a arm ball joints are the first to go so I just purchased two new lower a arm assembly's and ofcourse the problem is still there. My next thought is front sway bar end links, but I wanted to ask you guys is there is a certain way to diagnose the problem instead of just throwing parts at it, because we're all on budgets. haha. Any suggestions on what else I may need to check out and how to check for the problem.

Thanks guys!!!
chad38davis is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-03-2018, 09:20 AM   #2
MSF's Punishing Member

Pu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,212 Times in 1,789 Posts
Groans: 535
Groaned at 178 Times in 115 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

check front sway bar bushings, if there's play there you can prolly move the sway bar by hand and recreate the noise.
 Old 05-03-2018, 09:34 AM   #3

Db09ms3 has a brilliant futureDb09ms3 has a brilliant futureDb09ms3 has a brilliant futureDb09ms3 has a brilliant futureDb09ms3 has a brilliant futureDb09ms3 has a brilliant futureDb09ms3 has a brilliant futureDb09ms3 has a brilliant futureDb09ms3 has a brilliant futureDb09ms3 has a brilliant futureDb09ms3 has a brilliant future
Groans: 28
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

What Pu Manchu said. I had the same issue. Before I did them I found a blown strut and my strut bearings were shot. Replaced them but the clunk persisted. Did the sway bar bushings and it is gone. Now the rear is doing it.
 Old 05-03-2018, 10:18 AM   #4

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Okay, I’ll check for play later on today. Is it a difficult job to replace the front sway bar bushing? Or is it just time consuming? And is yall’s opinion, is it a good idea to go ahead and replace the end links as well?
 Old 05-03-2018, 10:21 AM   #5

Db09ms3 has a brilliant futureDb09ms3 has a brilliant futureDb09ms3 has a brilliant futureDb09ms3 has a brilliant futureDb09ms3 has a brilliant futureDb09ms3 has a brilliant futureDb09ms3 has a brilliant futureDb09ms3 has a brilliant futureDb09ms3 has a brilliant futureDb09ms3 has a brilliant futureDb09ms3 has a brilliant future
Not Ranked  0 score     

Google it or search for the how to here. The job isn't hard but requires you to get yo' ass underneath the front end of the car. I didn't feel the slop in the sway bar as it only happened under load. I didn't replace my endlinks.
 Old 05-03-2018, 10:24 AM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Okay thanks! I’ll update once I figure out what the issue might be.
 Old 05-03-2018, 02:04 PM   #7

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,728 Times in 901 Posts
Groans: 110
Groaned at 46 Times in 30 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Do the end links at the same time you do the sway bar bushings. End links are easy. For the swaybar bushings, you will need to be under the car with your feet sticking out the front.

The parts are dirt cheap. Some work involved with the bushing sets, but not too bad. I recommend you get the bushing sets with zerk fittings and be sure to fill them full of grease after installing as they are going to be shipped dry. And grease the bar itself first.

These are good. JBR makes lots of good stuff for our cars.

JBR Tru-Torsion Stainless Sway Bar Brackets and Bushings [SB-BSH-BRKT] - $31.99 : James Barone Racing, Aftermarket Performance
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-03-2018, 02:48 PM   #8

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 15
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

There's also a chance it could be a worn ball joint.
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Russian Bushings in Back, Magnaflow CBE
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/Stage 2 OCC
Puppy Power tuning temporarily suspended.
Forged build ongoing. Manley H-Tuff & 2618, King Bearings

Other rides:
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD - 355k mile Parts Getter
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken (since Christmas 2015)
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So, in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44) apex seals said buh bye!
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-03-2018, 02:56 PM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah, I’ve replaced the two lower a-arm ball joints. I’ll defiantly check out those bushings, but do any of you have any recommendations as far as the end links go? Should I go adjustable or what?
 Old 05-03-2018, 02:59 PM   #10

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 15
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Endlinks are ALL adjustable. They're used to set your toe-in/out.
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Russian Bushings in Back, Magnaflow CBE
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/Stage 2 OCC
Puppy Power tuning temporarily suspended.
Forged build ongoing. Manley H-Tuff & 2618, King Bearings

Other rides:
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD - 355k mile Parts Getter
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken (since Christmas 2015)
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So, in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44) apex seals said buh bye!
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-03-2018, 03:11 PM   #11

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by chad38davis View Post
Yeah, I’ve replaced the two lower a-arm ball joints. I’ll defiantly check out those bushings, but do any of you have any recommendations as far as the end links go? Should I go adjustable or what?
I'd say go OEM Mazda. Then again I'm stock
 Old 05-18-2018, 04:14 PM   #12

Kompleat will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

I had BAD clunking as well. For me it was an end link. I just replaced both fronts with OEM. When I shook the sway bar by hand I could hear it clunk. With new end links I could not get it to make the sound by shaking the sway bar. No more clunks over bumps. It was driving me nuts.
Kompleat is offline   Reply With Quote