register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Suspension & Brakes

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Suspension & Brakes Discussion for suspension items like coilovers, springs, sway bars, mounts,chassis bracing and brakes.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree250Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 11-13-2016, 04:12 PM   #841

ibcrusn is the leader of the worldibcrusn is the leader of the worldibcrusn is the leader of the worldibcrusn is the leader of the worldibcrusn is the leader of the worldibcrusn is the leader of the worldibcrusn is the leader of the worldibcrusn is the leader of the worldibcrusn is the leader of the worldibcrusn is the leader of the worldibcrusn is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Gotcha, so you have finished spending $$ yet.

Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better.
If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.
Sir Henry Royce

ibcrusn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ibcrusn For This Useful Post:
phate (11-13-2016)
 Old 11-13-2016, 04:35 PM   #842
Eth Fiend

phate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the world
Thanked 21,480 Times in 5,781 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 16 Times in 13 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ibcrusn View Post
Gotcha, so you have finished spending $$ yet.
Plenty more to spend money on, haha. I pretty much decided after test driving a bunch of new cars that the 6 was the way to go. So I have a few big projects this winter and a couple in mind for next winter, already.

www.mazdamotorsports.com <<--Mazda racer support program that is free to join and will save you a ton of money.
phate is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-13-2016, 04:51 PM   #843

zenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,081 Times in 727 Posts
Groans: 56
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by phate View Post
Diff is out for investigation
and?

"if anyone else acts a fool, we'll punish them to Roberts oil hut to discuss string alignment technique"
-wetzel
zenit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zenit For This Useful Post:
Crarrs (11-14-2016), Mauro_Penguin (11-14-2016), phate (11-13-2016)
 Old 11-30-2016, 06:59 PM   #844

KevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the world
Groaned at 79 Times in 52 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

..... I did an autocross up here about a month ago and wasn't real happy with the course flow, how the car was running, and my driving ...... Got back out yesterday after minor maintenance and the car felt great. Good course design that had good flow and a couple high risk/high reward sections. Took the class, ended up 4th overall on raw, and 6th overall on pax out of 132 drivers.

Found out after the event that I corded a right rear tire during a spin on my first run, so not too shabby. That's the first Hoosier I've worn out.
That's amazing! And by the video, it appears you used a transaxle saving, slow soft start. Did anyone in your class appear to question if you were "legal". That happened to me when I ran one time at a track in the next state, and beat all in my class.

Tracked Cars: 68 Triumph GT6 (~full race prep'd), 81 Porsche 924 Turbo, 93 Rx7 twin turbo
KevinK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KevinK2 For This Useful Post:
phate (02-08-2017)
 Old 12-03-2016, 08:11 PM   #845
Eth Fiend

phate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by KevinK2 View Post
That's amazing! And by the video, it appears you used a transaxle saving, slow soft start. Did anyone in your class appear to question if you were "legal". That happened to me when I ran one time at a track in the next state, and beat all in my class.

No one questioned me, directly. Definitely a lot of surprised people, haha. I did have one guy in total disbelief that the car only made ~250hp. Muttered something about 500hp as he walked away.
Code Monkey and ItsNox like this.

www.mazdamotorsports.com <<--Mazda racer support program that is free to join and will save you a ton of money.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phate For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (12-04-2016), KevinK2 (12-04-2016)
 Old 12-04-2016, 10:59 PM   #846

ryguy 3 has a reputation beyond reputeryguy 3 has a reputation beyond reputeryguy 3 has a reputation beyond reputeryguy 3 has a reputation beyond reputeryguy 3 has a reputation beyond reputeryguy 3 has a reputation beyond reputeryguy 3 has a reputation beyond reputeryguy 3 has a reputation beyond reputeryguy 3 has a reputation beyond reputeryguy 3 has a reputation beyond reputeryguy 3 has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Little wider

18x10.5 +30. Could probably go with a +35 and still clear the spindle. Rears might be an issue, but I didn't test fit them before I pulled the knuckles.

Front seats are out. Johanna just finished extending the Kirkey seat cover to be compliant with the rules, so it'll go in soon. Need to order passenger side hardware, still.

Extended studs in new hubs with new bearings.

Transmission tear down, abbreviated version.

2nd gear pads are done for, no wonder it was hard to shift:

2nd gear dogs aren't in too great of shape, explains why it was popping out of 2nd:

All of the dog gears show some wear, but not as severe as second. That's no wonder since autocross is mostly 2nd gear. If I can get a very low mile used trans, I'll probably go that route. Rebuilding this trans is approaching a cost point that doesn't make it worthwhile, and I haven't finished tallying everything.

I love the spoke design of the enkei nt05, one day imma bite the bullet and buy a set.

Did you go with 18's just for looks? Id imagine sticky rubber would be cheaper for 17's.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
ryguy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ryguy 3 For This Useful Post:
MS3johanna (02-05-2017)
 Old 12-05-2016, 03:53 AM   #847
Eth Fiend

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ryguy 3 View Post
I love the spoke design of the enkei nt05, one day imma bite the bullet and buy a set.

Did you go with 18's just for looks? Id imagine sticky rubber would be cheaper for 17's.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Figured I'd get extra points at Hot Import Nights with the 18's.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to phate For This Useful Post:
TiGraySpeed6 (12-05-2016)
 Old 12-05-2016, 09:02 AM   #848

KevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

2nd gear dogs aren't in too great of shape, explains why it was popping out of 2nd:

All of the dog gears show some wear, but not as severe as second. That's no wonder since autocross is mostly 2nd gear. If I can get a very low mile used trans, I'll probably go that route. Rebuilding this trans is approaching a cost point that doesn't make it worthwhile, and I haven't finished tallying everything.
I think 2nd gear's dog gear teeth show high wear at the tooth end, due to race starts and occasional shifts in and out of 1st at tight corners, vs just running in 2nd. With that hard shift into 2nd at each start, with the highest rpm change shifting being between 1st and 2nd,
it's likely the root cause.

In a different load case, I saw the same edge wear on a non-syncro reverse gear, on a dd.

Tracked Cars: 68 Triumph GT6 (~full race prep'd), 81 Porsche 924 Turbo, 93 Rx7 twin turbo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KevinK2 For This Useful Post:
Mauro_Penguin (05-06-2017), phate (02-08-2017)
 Old 02-05-2017, 03:26 PM   #849
Eth Fiend

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Light brakes project is underway. Should be 13-14 lb savings per front corner between the rotors and calipers. @Code Monkey;, they increased the rotor thickness by 1mm on these, hopefully that helps lol.

Seat:

It feel super rigid without the belts. Should be a great improvement over the stocker.

Still need to order hardware for the passenger side, but this was a good start.

Also for weight reduction:

Engine is at the machine shop. Maybe later this month it will be finished.

New transmission is on a boat coming over from Japan. Might have that in a few weeks. It was 1 of 3 new units left anywhere.
TiGraySpeed6 likes this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to phate For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (02-05-2017), Mauro_Penguin (02-07-2017), TiGraySpeed6 (02-05-2017)
 Old 02-05-2017, 03:44 PM   #850

TiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,746 Times in 2,277 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

what's up with the PTO these days?
Was a Mazdaspeed6 GT #3476 TiGray slicktop
Now in a BMW 135i - double the turbos, double the fun!
E82.N54 2009 / BSM / A/T / Drop-in / PR CP / Berk Street / MHD / xHP
340hp / 371tq
TiGraySpeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-05-2017, 06:38 PM   #851

Code Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the world
Thanked 9,726 Times in 3,827 Posts
Groans: 17
Groaned at 32 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

"They" is RacingBrake? Fuck those guys but I hope the redesigned rotor works for you. I do hope you are running some sort of cage and back braces for the seats.

2017 Subaru BRZ
MCS coilovers|Brembo BBK|6UL 17x9|Nitto NT01

2000 E39 M5

2001 MR2 2ZZ
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Code Monkey For This Useful Post:
phate (02-08-2017)
 Old 02-06-2017, 06:06 AM   #852
Eth Fiend

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
"They" is RacingBrake? Fuck those guys but I hope the redesigned rotor works for you. I do hope you are running some sort of cage and back braces for the seats.
For Autocross, no. I decided against it after seeing several cars at spring Nats that had aluminum seats without back braces. If the car sees street or big track miles, I'll put the stocker back in.
Originally Posted by TiGraySpeed6 View Post
what's up with the PTO these days?
Whimpering in the corner, awaiting its final days.

On a very close topic, SCCA Street Prepared rules made a HUGE change for 2017 with allowances to strengthen parts. Engine parts are ruled out specifically but most everything else is free game...

Code Monkey (02-06-2017), KevinK2 (02-06-2017), Mauro_Penguin (02-07-2017)
 Old 02-06-2017, 08:36 AM   #853

Mazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,670 Times in 1,832 Posts
Groaned at 21 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

@phate; is that a Wedge seat bracket? How's fitment? Asking because mine fit like complete shit.

2006 Mazdaspeed6 GT Crystal White Pearl #07141

Damond Motorsports = PS Cooler - RMM - PMM - OCC
VersaTuner = Versatune
Clutchmasters = 850 Street Twindisk
Corksport = RDM - CBE - RSB - TMM Insert
Turbine Tech = Forward Diff Mount - FMM
CP-e = Exhaust Manifold - Injector Seals
PTE = JB 5862
JMF = Intake Manifold w/Custom PI
Kozmic = Downpipe - 6th Port - EGR Delete
Forge = V2 BPV
Tial = 44mm WG
Autotech = HPFP Internals
HTP = 4" Intake - Battery Tray
Bilstein = B6 Shocks w/Eibach springs
Grimmspeed = EBCS
Technafit = SS Brake Lines - SS Clutch Line
Enkei = EVOX GSR 18x8.5 +38 - NT03+M 17x9.5 +38
Custom = FMIC w/TR1035 - Shifter Cables - Shifter Bushings
Mazdazilla6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazdazilla6 For This Useful Post:
phate (02-08-2017)
 Old 02-06-2017, 08:53 AM   #854
Eth Fiend

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Mazdazilla6 View Post
@phate; is that a Wedge seat bracket? How's fitment? Asking because mine fit like complete shit.
The bracket that Mounts to the floor with a flat square frame and sliders fit great.

The aluminum plate you see in the pic is what I had to make to mount the seat to it. It started out life as an 18x18" sheet. I added risers for height, and a link at the front of the seat straight down to help rigidity.

The typical side mount brackets don't work because the seat has a contoured bucket, not a vertical edge bucket.

Which part are you referring to?

Old 02-06-2017, 09:18 AM   #855

Mazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,670 Times in 1,832 Posts
Groaned at 21 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

The bracket that Mounts to the floor with a flat square frame and sliders fit great.

The aluminum plate you see in the pic is what I had to make to mount the seat to it. It started out life as an 18x18" sheet. I added risers for height, and a link at the front of the seat straight down to help rigidity.

The typical side mount brackets don't work because the seat has a contoured bucket, not a vertical edge bucket.

Which part are you referring to?

The bracket that mounts to the floor. Only two of the four holes on mine lined up properly. I was not thrilled having to modify it to fit.

2006 Mazdaspeed6 GT Crystal White Pearl #07141

Damond Motorsports = PS Cooler - RMM - PMM - OCC
VersaTuner = Versatune
Clutchmasters = 850 Street Twindisk
Corksport = RDM - CBE - RSB - TMM Insert
Turbine Tech = Forward Diff Mount - FMM
CP-e = Exhaust Manifold - Injector Seals
PTE = JB 5862
JMF = Intake Manifold w/Custom PI
Kozmic = Downpipe - 6th Port - EGR Delete
Forge = V2 BPV
Tial = 44mm WG
Autotech = HPFP Internals
HTP = 4" Intake - Battery Tray
Bilstein = B6 Shocks w/Eibach springs
Grimmspeed = EBCS
Technafit = SS Brake Lines - SS Clutch Line
Enkei = EVOX GSR 18x8.5 +38 - NT03+M 17x9.5 +38
Custom = FMIC w/TR1035 - Shifter Cables - Shifter Bushings
Mazdazilla6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazdazilla6 For This Useful Post:
phate (02-08-2017)
 Old 02-06-2017, 09:19 AM   #856
Eth Fiend

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Mazdazilla6 View Post
The bracket that mounts to the floor. Only two of the four holes on mine lined up properly. I was not thrilled having to modify it to fit.
E22064T from Corbeau is what I have.

Mazdazilla6 (02-06-2017)
 Old 02-06-2017, 09:32 AM   #857

TiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,746 Times in 2,277 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

looking at the space between the door frame and seat...

thinking you could've got a fancy Recaro baby seat and been just fine you tiny little bastid
Was a Mazdaspeed6 GT #3476 TiGray slicktop
Now in a BMW 135i - double the turbos, double the fun!
E82.N54 2009 / BSM / A/T / Drop-in / PR CP / Berk Street / MHD / xHP
340hp / 371tq
TiGraySpeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TiGraySpeed6 For This Useful Post:
Mauro_Penguin (02-07-2017), nindoja (02-06-2017), phate (02-08-2017)
 Old 02-06-2017, 09:48 AM   #858
Eth Fiend

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

thinking you could've got a fancy Recaro baby seat and been just fine you tiny little bastid
I'm always at race weight.

Code Monkey likes this.

Code Monkey (02-06-2017), Mauro_Penguin (02-07-2017)
 Old 02-06-2017, 11:37 AM   #859

MS3johanna is the leader of the worldMS3johanna is the leader of the worldMS3johanna is the leader of the worldMS3johanna is the leader of the worldMS3johanna is the leader of the worldMS3johanna is the leader of the worldMS3johanna is the leader of the worldMS3johanna is the leader of the worldMS3johanna is the leader of the worldMS3johanna is the leader of the worldMS3johanna is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,738 Times in 489 Posts
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

We actually browsed larger children's sized race seats...
 Old 04-08-2017, 06:58 AM   #860
Eth Fiend

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Engine is together.

Transmission is getting delivered Monday.

Flywheel, water injection kit, and a few more miscellaneous parts are on their way. Car should be running Easter weekend.

Code Monkey (04-08-2017), Mauro_Penguin (04-09-2017)
 Old 04-08-2017, 10:19 AM   #861

Not Ranked  0 score     

With improved engine, braking, tire/wheels, should be quicker!

phate (04-08-2017)
 Old 04-08-2017, 12:06 PM   #862
Eth Fiend

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Also picked up a truck last weekend. Now I'm looking for a deal on an enclosed trailer and I'll be ready to go racing

nindoja and MS3johanna like this.

Code Monkey (04-08-2017), Mauro_Penguin (04-09-2017)
 Old 04-08-2017, 12:52 PM   #863

Not Ranked  0 score     

All of the dog gears show some wear, but not as severe as second. That's no wonder since autocross is mostly 2nd gear. If I can get a very low mile used trans, I'll probably go that route. Rebuilding this trans is approaching a cost point that doesn't make it worthwhile,
and ...
New transmission is on a boat coming over from Japan. Might have that in a few weeks. It was 1 of 3 new units left anywhere.
It sounds like you have committed to competing in your amazing MS6, but the limited used transmissions available is not comforting. Wear at the 1-2 syncro assembly is critical:

Syncro Parts

I think the high wear on the 2nd gear syncro teeth is from the shift from 1st to 2nd, and has little to do with being in 2nd gear. As you are about to shift, 1st gear is engaged by the syncro, and 2nd is spun by way of the output shaft at a much lower rpm ( the % change in engine rpm is the highest between 1st & 2nd, vs other shifts). Assuming the clutch opens and fully frees the disc, the sycro-sleeves must slow down the disc rpm to allow those side gears to engage. The syncros just care about getting in gear, nothing about the rest of the shift process.

But the shift is always a rubbing process, wearing the syncro ring and the sycro gears ... on the side of the main gear, and inside the sleeve.

Bottom line, to reduce wear:
> be sure the clutch fully releases the disc during the shift
> minimize the inertia of the disc (dual disc's for small dia ?)
> use a proven trans oil
> short shift if competition allows (may already do this to spare the trans-axle)
> consider seasonal rebuilds just in this area of the trans. Ideally just replacing the single syncro (baulk) ring. "Preventative Maintenance"

Just a few things that you likely have already considered

Last edited by KevinK2; 04-08-2017 at 02:12 PM.
phate (04-13-2017)
 Old 05-04-2017, 07:58 AM   #864
Eth Fiend

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Car runs. Took it out for ~20 miles and all is well. Need a few more miles and I'll retune it. Aquamist kit scheduled for delivery today.

Passenger seat is in, also. Going to keep the stock 3 point belt over there, I think.

Code Monkey (05-04-2017)
 Old 05-04-2017, 10:46 AM   #865

zenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,081 Times in 727 Posts
Groans: 56
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

@phate; How many horsepowers didja get from that mani, bruh?
phate and MS3johanna like this.

"if anyone else acts a fool, we'll punish them to Roberts oil hut to discuss string alignment technique"
-wetzel
zenit is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-04-2017, 12:30 PM   #866

Not Ranked  0 score     

Is boost pressure increases allowed in SP classes? Reads like it is ok.
From '17 Solo rule book:

"15. Street Prepared
15.10 ENGINE AND DRIVE TRAIN
C. Induction allowances are as follows:
4. Turbochargers and/or superchargers (forced induction) may not be
added, changed, or modified (this does not allow ceramic coating of
turbochargers). On vehicles originally equipped with forced induction:

f. Boost regulation systems, either electronic or mechanical, and elec- tronic fuel cuts referencing boost pressure may be altered or modi- fied except as prohibited herein. Boost pressure changes resulting from authorized changes are permitted."

phate likes this.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:57 PM   #867
Eth Fiend

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yep, boost changes are permitted, and so is water injection. I thought this might be a fun project.

Code Monkey (05-04-2017), KevinK2 (05-04-2017), Mauro_Penguin (05-06-2017)
 Old 05-04-2017, 02:21 PM   #868

nignogswog will become famous soon enoughnignogswog will become famous soon enough
Groaned at 8 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default do you think 17x10 +52 with a 10mm spacer would clear spindle? aggressive pull on stock fenders, of course.

Little wider

18x10.5 +30. Could probably go with a +35 and still clear the spindle. Rears might be an issue, but I didn't test fit them before I pulled the knuckles.

Front seats are out. Johanna just finished extending the Kirkey seat cover to be compliant with the rules, so it'll go in soon. Need to order passenger side hardware, still.

Extended studs in new hubs with new bearings.

Transmission tear down, abbreviated version.

do you think 17x10 +52 with a 10mm spacer would clear spindle? aggressive pull on stock fenders, of course.
nignogswog is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-04-2017, 03:03 PM   #869
Eth Fiend

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

www.willtheyfit.com

Compare to mine.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:07 PM   #870

nignogswog will become famous soon enoughnignogswog will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

Did you end up with +30 or +35? How far was it from the spindle/whatever in the rear???
 Old 05-04-2017, 03:23 PM   #871
Eth Fiend

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

+30. Nearly the same clearance front and rear.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:29 PM   #872

Not Ranked  0 score     

Awesome. How much clearance would you say you have??
17x10 +42 (effective offset w/ 10mm spacer) and I'd still be poking inwards 5.7mm more than your setup.....I know that one black speed6 with purple rpf1 runs something like 17x10 +38 without issues.
 Old 05-04-2017, 05:12 PM   #873

Not Ranked  0 score     

Yep, boost changes are permitted, and so is water injection. I thought this might be a fun project.....
I'm sure you will get the max reliable boost/power from the water inj'n. This is a very impressive system. Can you count on a phase change ?

It seems there is a real advantage for boosted cars, with no boost restriction in Solo competition.

phate likes this.

phate (05-04-2017)
 Old 05-04-2017, 06:41 PM   #874

nindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,114 Posts
Groans: 16
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

@phate; looks like you went hot side to the driver's side and cold side on the passenger side to the TB?
phate likes this.
Brakes: Hawk HPS pads // ATE Superblue fluid // Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Other: CP-e Safe Seals // MattDamond shift plate // Masonvi shift knob // 3.5" WP w/recirc // RSB // IM + TB tigs // Synapse Engineering FMIC + BOV // Autotech internals
Tune: hypnotic tuned

Critical Stats:
// 305whp/352tq
// 13.34 @ 98 - Mason Dixon Dragway - 4/13/14

Titanium Gray 2006 Mazdaspeed 6
Damond Motorsports: OCC // Short shift plate // Turbo oil feed restrictor bolt
Other: Autotech internals // Ebay M2 DP // Masonvi shift knob //
nindoja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nindoja For This Useful Post:
phate (05-04-2017)
 Old 05-04-2017, 06:55 PM   #875
Eth Fiend

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by nindoja View Post
@phate; looks like you went hot side to the driver's side and cold side on the passenger side to the TB?
No cold, all hot.

himurax13 (05-04-2017)
 Old 05-04-2017, 07:42 PM   #876
Eth Fiend

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm sure you will get the max reliable boost/power from the water inj'n. This is a very impressive system. Can you count on a phase change ?

It seems there is a real advantage for boosted cars, with no boost restriction in Solo competition.
I'm counting on the phase change more than anything. Cruising around, temps are about 120°F, and as soon as I get into boost of 5-10psi, I'm around 160-170°. I expect at least 230° out of the compressor at full boost, and I'm thinking I'll position the injector at the inner radius of the first 90° bend pointing to the outside of the bend for maximum turbulence and temperature change. Since I'm using small nozzles, I can always put a second or even third nozzle in the system if the system can handle the injection amount.

I'm doing it more for consistency of power than I am for increasing power. And it shifts weight from above the engine to lower, in the rear of the car.

KevinK2 (05-04-2017)
 Old 05-04-2017, 08:12 PM   #877

Not Ranked  0 score     

... And it shifts weight from above the engine to lower, in the rear of the car.
No IC, water in trunk. I'm sure you'll have protection if there is a fault.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:51 PM   #878
Eth Fiend

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Did a preliminary weighing before deciding on water pump and reservoir location. Should be right at 3200lb all said and done. Cross weights are way off right now, will corner balance and align this weekend.

Aquamist system is in and functioning with small jets. Only had time to validate the system worked as it should and take a couple back to backs to look at temp change. Will finish all tuning this weekend and have before/after results with the water injection.

Car is running good with the new engine and trans. I have ~75 miles on it and probably 50 full throttle pulls. Extremely responsive without the intercooler, should pick up a little more response as tune gets dialed in. Saw BAT's upwards of 240° without water injection, and 200° with. No knock with E40 and low-ish timing.

Picking up tires from TireRack Friday. First event Monday if all goes well.

nindoja, svd and Mauro_Penguin like this.

Code Monkey (05-23-2017), Mauro_Penguin (05-24-2017)
 Old 05-24-2017, 01:23 PM   #879

Not Ranked  0 score     

Did a preliminary weighing before deciding on water pump and reservoir location. Should be right at 3200lb all said and done. Cross weights are way off right now, will corner balance and align this weekend.
I know what you do works, but I'd guess:
- disconnect bars, seat equivalent Phate body
- set ride height
- corner balance
- connect bars with no preload
- remove equivalent Phate [/QUOTE]

Aquamist system is in and functioning with small jets. Extremely responsive without the intercooler .... Saw BAT's upwards of 240° without water injection, and 200° with. No knock with E40 and low-ish timing.
My old 924Turbo had no IC, and no lag.

Sounds like injection is before the compressor, How does 200F compare with prior AIT's ? I guess the warmer but more humid intake air is less likely to cause knock? [/QUOTE]

Old 05-24-2017, 02:19 PM   #880
Eth Fiend

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I know what you do works, but I'd guess:
- disconnect bars, seat equivalent Phate body
- set ride height
- corner balance
- connect bars with no preload
- remove equivalent Phate
[/QUOTE]

Just add in an alignment before connecting bars and removing weight.

KevinK2 (05-24-2017)

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f12/mazdaspeed-6-suspension-data-diy-bilstein-coilovers-161806/
Posted By For Type Date
Shocks for a daily driven Mazdaspeed 6 This thread Refback 12-05-2015 10:07 PM
Whats New/General Speed 6 Discussion - Page 296 This thread Refback 11-29-2015 06:42 PM
fe1rx Ohlins Installation - Page 7 This thread Refback 08-23-2015 05:39 AM
fe1rx Ohlins Installation - Page 6 This thread Refback 04-25-2015 02:24 PM
Prepping as dedicated track car - Page 56 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum This thread Refback 02-21-2015 01:36 PM
BC coilovers VS. H&R coilovers - Page 15 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum This thread Refback 08-26-2014 08:50 AM
Whats New/General Speed 6 Discussion - Page 297 This thread Refback 07-28-2014 09:03 PM
racing aspirations » Suspension Geometry Calculator This thread Refback 06-21-2014 03:57 AM
Prepping as dedicated track car - Page 50 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum Post #48 Pingback 03-14-2014 01:36 PM
Prepping as dedicated track car - Page 46 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum This thread Refback 01-20-2014 12:02 PM