register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Suspension & Brakes

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Suspension & Brakes Discussion for suspension items like coilovers, springs, sway bars, mounts,chassis bracing and brakes.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree250Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 11-05-2017, 07:43 PM   #961

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 8
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

The front diff carrier / tranfercase interaction was discussed some 20 posts ago.

The front diff carrier spins at the same rate as the rear diff...since they are mechanically synced up with the clutch engaged.

Now that you've seen how it all connects, the parts breakdown exploded view should make much more sense with the passenger side intermediate shaft running inside a hollow transfercase shaft.
eBay Stage 1 OCC, DM RMM/PMM/Stage 2 OCC
Puppy Power tuning temporarily suspended.
Forged build ongoing. Manley H-Tuff Rods, Manley 2618 Pistons, King Bearings

Other rides:
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD - Parts Getter
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken (since Christmas 2015)
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So, in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44) apex seals said buh bye!
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is online now   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-05-2017, 07:49 PM   #962

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by KevinK2 View Post
By "diff" you you mean the carrier that the ring gear is attached to, in this case ? If so:

For any diff, front or rear, when you turn the outer wheel spins faster than the inside wheel. The outer half shaft spins faster than the inside one. This applies to the side gears in the diff too. The diff can not be at the same speed as either side gear. If the car speed does not change in the turn, I believe the average rpm of the wheels is the diff rpm.

Your demo proved the average rpm of the wheels is the diff rpm.

A quick google should help out here.

That is correct.
Simple experiment: Hold one axle still, spin the other axle. The diff will spin 1/2 the rotations, proving 1 wheel can spin faster than the diff and further showing the diff speed is the average speed of both axles.

Other rides:
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So, in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44) apex seals said buh bye!
The Following User Says Thank You to Fstrnyou For This Useful Post:
KevinK2 (11-06-2017)
 Old 11-05-2017, 08:17 PM   #963
Eth Fiend

phate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the world
Thanked 21,480 Times in 5,781 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 16 Times in 13 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

It does spin at the average. Just confusing myself, I said it was the average in the last discussion, and it still is haha.

Still doesn't bode well for the rear diff clutch pack since I can spin a front tire pretty easily.

Got a reply from Shaikh with good info. I should have the dampers sent out this week and decide on a couple minor changes to go with them.

www.mazdamotorsports.com <<--Mazda racer support program that is free to join and will save you a ton of money.
phate is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-05-2017, 08:59 PM   #964

Not Ranked  0 score     

Is it the rear diff LSD clutch pack or the AWD clutch pack?

Other rides:
History:
 Old 11-06-2017, 04:53 AM   #965
Eth Fiend

phate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Fstrnyou View Post
Is it the rear diff LSD clutch pack or the AWD clutch pack?
AWD clutch pack at the pinion is what I'm referring to.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

www.mazdamotorsports.com <<--Mazda racer support program that is free to join and will save you a ton of money.
 Old 11-06-2017, 08:54 AM   #966

KevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 79 Times in 52 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by phate View Post
It does spin at the average. Just confusing myself, I said it was the average in the last discussion, and it still is haha.

Still doesn't bode well for the rear diff clutch pack since I can spin a front tire pretty easily.
I agree, the center coupling's clutch pack could have worn discs, allowing more than expected spin at the inside front tire in a corner. But I'd be surprised if the control module is signaling for max lock at the coupling, during tight corners.

Any thoughts on bench testing the current and replacement couplings?

Tracked Cars: 68 Triumph GT6 (~full race prep'd), 81 Porsche 924 Turbo, 93 Rx7 twin turbo
KevinK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-08-2017, 05:12 PM   #967

KevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Steady state cornering, without braking or accel, the car doesn't lift either wheel. It's only when you get into the brakes or gas that they lift.

Dive and squat resistance need increased to combat this. I don't want to decrease roll resistance at any point. You'll end up increasing load on the front end by decreasing rear roll resistance, as well as increasing roll in the corner. More roll + more load = unhappy tire.

Car needs more dive/squat resistance, or decreased load transfer.
  • Lower the car more to decrease load transfer - that's pretty realistic and easy to accomplish.
  • Increase spring rates to increase dive/squat resistance - as long as the dampers are valved appropriately, I think this is going to happen.
By now I think the dampers have been shipped out to get tuned for a lower, stiffer spring set. As you said, this should lower the CG and reduce the rear tire unload during braking when cornering. But just the increase in rates will not reduce unloading due to pitch, only the amount of pitch. It's just like with roll rates, you need to reduce the cg, and/or increase the wheelbase, to reduce weight transfer due to dive.

The rear tire lift could be due to:
1) stiff roll rates
2) lack of droop at the dampers --- I thought the piston rods were shortened.

If there were no rear bar, soft long-travel rear springs with adequate damper drop distance, the inboard rear tire would not lift, but with little rear roll rate the car would have terminal understeer. Your roll rates and their F/R balance work great for you, making it hard to make changes to keep the inside rear tire planted, other than a lower CG.

I had a rwd track car with high front roll rate, and it lifted the front tire ~2" off the track on a 90 mph corner at the limit. It had stock springs and a big front bar that transferred sprung weight faster that the rears bar and springs. There was not much squat due to the modest hp, and limited 4th gear pull.

Hopefully the lower CG will delay or eliminate lift.

Tracked Cars: 68 Triumph GT6 (~full race prep'd), 81 Porsche 924 Turbo, 93 Rx7 twin turbo

Last edited by KevinK2; 11-09-2017 at 09:01 AM. Reason: clarity
 Old 11-20-2017, 07:57 PM   #968
Eth Fiend

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Side project:

These will be replaced with solid units. Total pain to get them out, but should be worth a little bit. Front subframe is all torn apart, rear to follow the next weekend I'm home.

Ordered new wheels for next season. 10.5" wide will be retired to street tire duty
Mauro_Penguin likes this.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to phate For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (11-20-2017), KevinK2 (11-21-2017), Mauro_Penguin (11-21-2017), Nliiitend1 (11-21-2017)
 Old 11-21-2017, 02:08 PM   #969

Not Ranked  0 score     

Side project:
These will be replaced with solid units. Total pain to get them out, but should be worth a little bit. Front subframe is all torn apart, rear to follow the next weekend I'm home.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but during a run that bushing never flexes that way, due to the high stiffness of the frame and sub-frame that it connects together.

The oem goal was for minimum NHV (harshness) so like most stock suspension bushings, the bolted joint is isolated with rubber. That allows some vertical give, as well as side to side and front to back give.

The advantage of solid mounts for racing is to eliminate any "give" that may affect suspension positions under loads of braking, accelerating, and cornering. The motion in your video shows the presence of this rubber isolation that allows give, but is not an indication of an actual deformed shape when driving. A new oem bushing would flex in that same way with the same prying loads.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:50 PM   #970
Eth Fiend

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Of course they don't see a torque like that. I was barely applying any force, maybe 20 lbft in that video, and the deformation was what you saw. They are very, very soft, and I'm sure they contribute to camber loss from lateral loads.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:16 PM   #971

Not Ranked  0 score     

Of course they don't see a torque like that. I was barely applying any force, maybe 20 lbft in that video, and the deformation was what you saw. They are very, very soft, and I'm sure they contribute to camber loss from lateral loads.
I never questioned your knowledge of the benefit of solid mounts .... I even asked you to correct me if I was wrong. Simply tried to explain what happens, for those that may not know. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 11-23-2017, 05:31 AM   #972
Eth Fiend

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have a torsen LSD in the works. Should have it for the start of next season. More details next week.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:52 PM   #973
Eth Fiend

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have a torsen LSD in the works. Should have it for the start of next season. More details next week.
This project is a go. Deposit paid and the first CAD model is already finished. I spoke with the shop in person with the stock open differential in hand, and they're confident about the project. I'm going to drop off the 3 shafts that mate with the diff (axles and PTO output) this week and that should allow them to better measure the splines for the diff.

12 week delivery time, but I'm hoping that will improve.

There's also some GOOD potential for transfer case strengthening, as the company also has experience in this realm. That's a separate project at this point, and one that can finish later than the diff since I can always swap a tcase in a few hours.

Next year might be more exciting than I thought!
nindoja likes this.

aackthpt (11-30-2017), Code Monkey (11-29-2017), KevinK2 (11-30-2017), Nliiitend1 (12-01-2017)
 Old 12-04-2017, 12:32 PM   #974

nindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,114 Posts
Groans: 16
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

This project is a go. Deposit paid and the first CAD model is already finished. I spoke with the shop in person with the stock open differential in hand, and they're confident about the project. I'm going to drop off the 3 shafts that mate with the diff (axles and PTO output) this week and that should allow them to better measure the splines for the diff.

12 week delivery time, but I'm hoping that will improve.

There's also some GOOD potential for transfer case strengthening, as the company also has experience in this realm. That's a separate project at this point, and one that can finish later than the diff since I can always swap a tcase in a few hours.

Next year might be more exciting than I thought!
I know I wasn't in for the LSD just yet, but count me in for a strengthened t-case.
Brakes: Hawk HPS pads // ATE Superblue fluid // Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Other: CP-e Safe Seals // MattDamond shift plate // Masonvi shift knob // 3.5" WP w/recirc // RSB // IM + TB tigs // Synapse Engineering FMIC + BOV // Autotech internals
Tune: hypnotic tuned

Critical Stats:
// 305whp/352tq
// 13.34 @ 98 - Mason Dixon Dragway - 4/13/14

Titanium Gray 2006 Mazdaspeed 6
Damond Motorsports: OCC // Short shift plate // Turbo oil feed restrictor bolt
Other: Autotech internals // Ebay M2 DP // Masonvi shift knob //
nindoja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nindoja For This Useful Post:
phate (12-04-2017)
 Old 12-05-2017, 05:42 PM   #975
Bob Ross Fanclub

Tomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the world
Thanked 8,035 Times in 2,289 Posts
Groaned at 33 Times in 19 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Please take a closer look at the rear diff on the 6. Even if you have had it in your hand.
The 6 already has a rear LSD. Not an open one.

MAKE LOVE TO THE CANVAS
Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tomas For This Useful Post:
phate (12-06-2017)
 Old 12-05-2017, 05:55 PM   #976

Not Ranked  0 score     

Torsen is for the front.

The Following User Says Thank You to KevinK2 For This Useful Post:
phate (12-06-2017)
 Old 12-05-2017, 09:28 PM   #977
Bob Ross Fanclub

Tomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the world
Thanked 8,035 Times in 2,289 Posts
Groaned at 33 Times in 19 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ah.

MAKE LOVE TO THE CANVAS

Last edited by Tomas; 12-05-2017 at 09:43 PM.
Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tomas For This Useful Post:
phate (12-06-2017)
 Old 12-11-2017, 06:08 AM   #978
Eth Fiend

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

While I have a few big projects going on, I'm taking the downtime to do some smaller maintenance items.

When I pulled the engine, I found the rear main seal to be leaking. I'll clean that up and swap in a new one. Not sure why this one failed, I've done several and this has been the only one to leak. I'm going to pull the pan and reseal the entire seam.

New clutch! The first version of the FX400 that I ran was incredible. Very little pedal travel required and it worked like a champ for 2 seasons. The updated pressure plate required less force, but required nearly every bit of available pedal travel to work. I've never liked the updated version, so I'm swapping over to an ACT 6 puck with prolite flywheel.

Exhaust mani is getting coated by Swain Tech. I just saw they charged my card, so I think I'll have it back soon.

New brake lines. I've had the same braided stainless lines on the car for about 5 years, and the teflon cover isn't looking good in a few spots. I'm just going to swap all 4 corners out for new ones.

Going to a fixed mount driver's seat and getting rid of the adjusters. The sliders are heavy, and we found out that we can have the same seating position and get by. I'm going to raise the seat ~1" from where it is now.

This week I'm going to pull the rear subframe and get measurements for the bushings. I'm planning to do solid aluminum on both the front a rear subframes.

Edit: I'm also prepping the current TCase with upgraded bearing caps and new seals.

Last edited by phate; 12-11-2017 at 08:07 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to phate For This Useful Post:
aackthpt (12-11-2017), Code Monkey (12-11-2017), Nliiitend1 (12-15-2017)
 Old 12-17-2017, 10:13 AM   #979
Eth Fiend

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Exhaust manifold is finished. It's a very coarse, thick finish. Hopefully drops under hood temps a bit to make things easier to work on between runs. I'm planning to have the downpipe reworked before the season begins and I'll have it coated, as well.

Getting wheels has been a pita. I've ordered from 2 places that had them "in stock", only to find out they don't have them. May have to special order them but that puts delivery out to February. That will probably be OK, I can always run the first event on the Bridgestones if needed.

The Following User Says Thank You to phate For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (12-17-2017)
 Old 01-02-2018, 06:31 AM   #980
Eth Fiend

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Wheels are in. The 2nd company made things right and found the wheels at a 3rd place. Not the color I wanted, but beggers can't be choosers I suppose. I'm undecided if I'll have them painted or just run them in this obnoxious color scheme.

The next weekend I have free is MLK weekend. Plenty of work to do, now including a test fit of these with the 315/30 (pictured).

Code Monkey likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to phate For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (01-02-2018)
 Old 01-12-2018, 11:54 AM   #981
Eth Fiend

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Front subframe bushings.

Nliiitend1 likes this.

aviator79 (01-12-2018), Code Monkey (01-12-2018), KevinK2 (01-12-2018), Nliiitend1 (01-13-2018)
 Old 01-12-2018, 12:46 PM   #982

aviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,695 Times in 1,061 Posts
Groans: 67
Groaned at 17 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I had posted before how there is a ton of adjustment in front subframe. IIRC the bushings are slotted and the subframe holes were slotted? I always worried I would not alight the subframe correctly when reinstalling. Thou now my bolts are seized in the frame so I have not even been able to remove but will need to some day.

Never made sense to me but assume if the eccentric washers for the bolts in FLCA did not fix alignment then the subframe could be moved if both were off the same direction...IDK.

Were the slots in the subframe as well? Either way these should center it and assume thats best so long as subframe is straight.

What were the slots for?
MS6 - BNRs3 - Cobb AP - JBR Tru-3.0 - Spearco FMIC - MAC EBCS - Synapse BOV - DNP - CPE DP->MF - SU RRM - TTFMM - TT + CPE Diff Mounts - Mrlilguy HPFP - Projector HID fogs - TSX projector retrofit - LI jammers - Advan RZs w/ 245 PSSs - Koni - WL RSB
aviator79 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-12-2018, 03:57 PM   #983
Eth Fiend

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by aviator79 View Post
I had posted before how there is a ton of adjustment in front subframe. IIRC the bushings are slotted and the subframe holes were slotted? I always worried I would not alight the subframe correctly when reinstalling. Thou now my bolts are seized in the frame so I have not even been able to remove but will need to some day.

Never made sense to me but assume if the eccentric washers for the bolts in FLCA did not fix alignment then the subframe could be moved if both were off the same direction...IDK.

Were the slots in the subframe as well? Either way these should center it and assume thats best so long as subframe is straight.

What were the slots for?
The rear left bushing, in stock form, has a cross-car slot. All others are round. I've left those hole dimensions in the bushings the same so that I could have adjustment in the subframe - I've never had it shift.

I have corrected cross-camber by shifting the subframe slightly. Works great.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phate For This Useful Post:
aviator79 (01-12-2018), Nliiitend1 (01-13-2018)

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f12/mazdaspeed-6-suspension-data-diy-bilstein-coilovers-161806/
Posted By For Type Date
Shocks for a daily driven Mazdaspeed 6 This thread Refback 12-05-2015 10:07 PM
Whats New/General Speed 6 Discussion - Page 296 This thread Refback 11-29-2015 06:42 PM
fe1rx Ohlins Installation - Page 7 This thread Refback 08-23-2015 05:39 AM
fe1rx Ohlins Installation - Page 6 This thread Refback 04-25-2015 02:24 PM
Prepping as dedicated track car - Page 56 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum This thread Refback 02-21-2015 01:36 PM
BC coilovers VS. H&R coilovers - Page 15 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum This thread Refback 08-26-2014 08:50 AM
Whats New/General Speed 6 Discussion - Page 297 This thread Refback 07-28-2014 09:03 PM
racing aspirations » Suspension Geometry Calculator This thread Refback 06-21-2014 03:57 AM
Prepping as dedicated track car - Page 50 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum Post #48 Pingback 03-14-2014 01:36 PM
Prepping as dedicated track car - Page 46 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum This thread Refback 01-20-2014 12:02 PM