register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Suspension & Brakes

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Suspension & Brakes Discussion for suspension items like coilovers, springs, sway bars, mounts,chassis bracing and brakes.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree294Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 07-02-2018, 05:51 AM   #1081
Eth Fiend

phate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the world
Thanked 21,641 Times in 5,840 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Back at Indy over the weekend, same site as the champ tour. This one was smaller, only 120ish drivers each day. Saturday, I took the overall for pax and Johanna took 2nd only 0.015 seconds behind me. Sunday, Johanna took first overall on pax and I took 2nd.

Splitter stuff -

We did a couple runs Saturday with the stock bumper, then switched to the bumper and splitter combo. It definitely changes the behavior of the car. We went from mild high speed push where you really had to work for rotation to very easily induced rotation. I don't think it's as noticeable as the spoiler - but all I needed was a little more front end grip to balance the car and I think we got that.

The splitter was pretty high off the ground Saturday, and I lowered it 1/2-5/8" for Sunday. That seemed to help even more, and it was just barely scraping the outer edges in turns over wavy sections of concrete. It's ~2-3/8" off the ground right now, and I'll leave it there until the next event. It seems like a simple tool for altering behavior of the car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180630_135151.jpg (347.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpeg 20180630_135152.jpeg (317.2 KB, 8 views)
Code Monkey likes this.

www.mazdamotorsports.com <<--Mazda racer support program that is free to join and will save you a ton of money.
phate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phate For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (07-02-2018)
 Old 07-02-2018, 08:47 AM   #1082

GroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I like the ingenuity in the splitter design... especially the carabiners! Are you leaving it wood or do you have a material in mind for a replacement? Depending on how you did it Id think fiberglass might be a bit lighter. Obviously CF is out for the ridiculous cost and molding process. I had a buddy do one out of a giant piece of abs with aluminum L bracket ribs for support, but it was a huge pita to get right and from what I remember wasn't that much lighter.

Silver 06 MS6 - DD stealth build - no show, all go....
'12 Abarth Challenge Car - very loud, very fast, very inconvenient to drive on the street...
GroceryGtr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GroceryGtr For This Useful Post:
phate (07-03-2018)
 Old 07-02-2018, 09:30 AM   #1083
Eth Fiend

phate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by GroceryGtr View Post
I like the ingenuity in the splitter design... especially the carabiners! Are you leaving it wood or do you have a material in mind for a replacement? Depending on how you did it Id think fiberglass might be a bit lighter. Obviously CF is out for the ridiculous cost and molding process. I had a buddy do one out of a giant piece of abs with aluminum L bracket ribs for support, but it was a huge pita to get right and from what I remember wasn't that much lighter.
I've been weighing (lol) the options today. Alumalite seems to be the material of choice, but I'm not convinced it's worth the extra time and money.

4'x8' 1/2" ply - 45lbs

4'x8' 10mm alumalite - 32lbs

I used maybe 25% of the full sheet, so going to alumalite will save just over 3lbs, but will require larger hardware to affix the fence and other hardware.

So, net savings of maybe 2lbs for $200 and the time it takes to remake the splitter...Plywood is looking just fine, I think.

www.mazdamotorsports.com <<--Mazda racer support program that is free to join and will save you a ton of money.
 Old 07-02-2018, 03:39 PM   #1084
Eth Fiend

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Rather than a normal hex nut as a jam but, I opted for wing nuts. Should make it a little easier.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Old 07-12-2018, 11:18 AM   #1085

KevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 79 Times in 52 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by phate View Post
The spoiler stays. We had the car out for the test and tune both Saturday and Sunday. Ran tons of runs with the stock spoiler to the point we were consistent and not getting any faster (on 285/30 Bridgestone RE71R's). Swapped trunk lids and within a couple runs went 0.4s faster on a 40s course.

It just makes the car a hair more stable at high speeds. I really noticed it in the giant slalom where I would normally have the back end step out, it just didn't step out quite as much and was faster to catch traction once it did start to slide a touch .....
Been AWOL, but great work on the spoiler ! I initially had thought in terms of measuring the change in pressure on the trunk lid, as later suggested in a link of yours that recommended a Magnehelic gauge. I have one for differential pressure (2 hoses) that I used to optimize the intake on the Rx7. Great tool for ~$60. But there's a lot of issues making sure you get just the static pressure, vs any velocity head from swirling air.

But I think the .4 sec's on a 40 sec run is a good quantitative measurement, if very repeatable. And the feel of the car that you noted sounds positive.

---------------

Regarding the front Torsen, I suggest changing the oil after a month or so, and having an oil analysis test done. Perhaps it will show it's fine, but my experience with the rear Torsen on the Rx7 was that it turned black from high frictional heat (not from contaminates like with eng oil), while the trans oil looked new, for the same miles used.

Great research and work on the Spoiler Clint !

Tracked Cars: 68 Triumph GT6 (~full race prep'd), 81 Porsche 924 Turbo, 93 Rx7 twin turbo
KevinK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KevinK2 For This Useful Post:
phate (07-12-2018)
 Old 07-17-2018, 06:17 AM   #1086
Eth Fiend

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Down south at Bristol for the match and champ tours - they were back to back and made for a great week. We got there the day before the match tour on the 4th so we could hit the test course. It's another asphalt lot and I came in wanting to focus on trail braking better. Took it for a couple test runs and then Johanna did the same. She was braking way better than I was and I re-calibrated my mind on the last couple test runs and was pretty happy with everything. We got starting pressures and hot pressures during test runs.

The lot was EXTREMELY bumpy - big humps in the pavement that tossed around cars with stiff suspension and little suspension travel. I have neither of those limitations, so the car didn't misbehave at all over these sections. I didn't give up my driving line or have to back out of the throttle at any point because of surface variation, and that turned out to be massively beneficial. I really felt like my braking was on point, and as a whole I feel like this was the most effectively I've ever driven the car.

The results were good. At the match tour's first day (2 sets of 3 runs, one set in the morning, another set in the afternoon), I won the class and took first on overall pax. Johanna had a full class in ESPL and took the class win there, also. She ended up 13th on overall pax.

The match tour's 2nd day ended up getting rained out for the challenge, but we had a few more runs in the morning for qualifying. We both qualified for the challenge and knew that rain was a potential, so we hauled the rain tires down to grid with us just in case. As the challenge was starting in the afternoon, a pretty nasty thunderstorm rolled in and put us on a lightning delay that held long enough for them to just cancel the rest of the day. The champ tour course needed to be set up, still.

Video from the match tour's first session. I was really struggling with the new app, solostorm. It ended up downloading the same video for most of our runs, and I attempted to resolve this by wiping the SD card. That didn't fix it and we lost all the high resolution videos, so I was left with only the low resolution previews...

At the champ tour, I was running open class and Johanna was running in ESPL again with a full class. That was probably helpful because it was HOT for both events and the turnaround time for 2 driver cars was extremely short. We were able to manage tire temperatures pretty well, and it looked like 2 driver cars were having a tough time keeping them cool.

The first day went well. At the end of runs, I was leading by 1.3s and Johanna was leading her class by just over 0.5s. Johanna was running in first heat, and the 2nd day (5th day in a row of running the car) brought some excitement. I'll digress for a moment - nationals competition has made me rethink my approach to runs. I used to use my first run to get heat in the tires and not worry so much about cones. It was a look at the course at speed, without much regard for a clean run. With nationals, you only get 3 runs each session, and hitting a cone first run puts you in a position where you're pressured to 'get clean' on your 2nd run - that usually means holding back a bit and maybe not going as fast as you could, otherwise.

Now, my tactic is to go out first run and be clean and just have one in the bank in case I cone on subsequent runs or something happens to the car. There's less pressure and I'm more comfortable pushing harder on subsequent runs with a clean one in the books. This has proven to be beneficial. In finger lakes, I only got 1 run in on the second day and it was enough to hold onto my lead. Had I coned, I would have coned away the entire event and been out of the trophies entirely. Back to Bristol competition...

2nd day champ tour, I remind Johanna to try to get a clean one in the books on her first run. Her first run looks ok and no cones, but when she pulls back into grid the car is misfiring...not good. We go through the diagnostics of plugs first, and that's not it. Take a look at fuel pressure with the engine off and it's dropping like a rock - I suspect the relief valve and we decide not to run it anymore. No good, because I still have a heat to drive later in the day. One of Johanna's competitors offers up her F Street Mustang as a replacement to at least get runs in and we agree to it. But, Johanna's first run was fast enough to hold onto the lead and she ended up winning the class, anyway!

My heat rolls around and I'm thinking that I just need to do my best to minimize the damage (lol). It's been a really long time since I've driven a powerful rear drive car and I've never even sat in this one before now, so I go out on first run and the car reminds me that throttle steer is a thing (ha). I get a little too throttle happy way early in the run and get the car out of sorts and go off course rather than mash a wall of cones. I use the rest of that run to familiarize myself with the car - being smooth on the throttle is the way to go. 2nd run I've changed my mindset to this car and put together a respectable time, the car is actually pretty easy to drive when you aren't twitchy on the throttle. 3rd run in the Mustang and I'm feeling great about it until the mid course slalom where I gave it a bit too much loud pedal in a slalom and had to check the car which cost me probably over a half second. That run ends up being 0.3s slower than my 2nd run.

I'm going to digress again - if you look at F Street times, my 2nd run would have put me in 2nd place in that class for the day. I'm pretty pleased with the car and my driving in it. I haven't driven much outside of MS3's and MS6's in a very long time and I think I'll start trying to get drives in other cars after nationals this year. Having diverse experience with skilled drivers is what helped me out in my first few years of autocrossing, and I want to try that out more.

Anyway, while all of that is going on, my competition is doing their best to diminish the lead I had coming in to second day runs. The 2nd place driver from day 1 lays down some smoking fast runs and takes over 1st place. The 3rd place driver from day 1 cuts down the lead, but it isn't enough to overtake me for 2nd place. Overall, I'm still pretty pleased with a 2nd place finish.

The misfire ended up being the cyl1 injector being stuck open. This is the same failure as Lincoln several weeks ago, so I have some fuel system work to do. The set of injectors from Lincoln (I replaced them all) is headed to Canada for cleaning and maybe they'll be able to tell me it was just contamination. After a 2nd failure, I'm thinking definitely contamination so I need to go through the system. I'll check that the fuel filter is still attached to the pump in the tank and look for debris. I'll also check the component filters in the system that remained after the new set of injectors went in. There's one on the relief valve, so the new RV takes care of that. I think there's also one on the y-fitting at the HPFP, so I'll see if that's degraded.

Originally Posted by KevinK2 View Post
Been AWOL, but great work on the spoiler ! I initially had thought in terms of measuring the change in pressure on the trunk lid, as later suggested in a link of yours that recommended a Magnehelic gauge. I have one for differential pressure (2 hoses) that I used to optimize the intake on the Rx7. Great tool for ~$60. But there's a lot of issues making sure you get just the static pressure, vs any velocity head from swirling air.

But I think the .4 sec's on a 40 sec run is a good quantitative measurement, if very repeatable. And the feel of the car that you noted sounds positive.

---------------

Regarding the front Torsen, I suggest changing the oil after a month or so, and having an oil analysis test done. Perhaps it will show it's fine, but my experience with the rear Torsen on the Rx7 was that it turned black from high frictional heat (not from contaminates like with eng oil), while the trans oil looked new, for the same miles used.

Great research and work on the Spoiler Clint !
Thanks, the spoiler and splitter working together is a good combo. Now that I have all of the 'big' stuff done that are within the rules, I have a few things I want to go back to and tweak. The rear suspension's LCA bushings are, I think, a big weakness right now. I have to run almost a degree more camber in the rear than the front and you can see the camber loss in pictures - it should be gaining a LOT of camber through bump travel, but I think the bushing compliance is negating it. [No changes until after nats in September, though.]

Now that we have a little bit of down time, I'll probably change the trans fluid. It's been on my mind, but I haven't noticed a change in performance since it first went in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07497_DxO.jpg (396.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07501_DxO.jpg (399.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07503_DxO.jpg (436.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07505_DxO.jpg (416.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07796_DxO.jpg (476.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07799_DxO.jpg (467.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07803_DxO.jpg (414.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07804_DxO.jpg (517.5 KB, 5 views)
Code Monkey likes this.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to phate For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (07-17-2018), Crarrs (07-17-2018), Db09ms3 (07-17-2018), Solarsurge (07-17-2018)
 Old 07-18-2018, 06:28 AM   #1087
Eth Fiend

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Catching up to this past weekend we had a local event with Indy SCCA. Tiny lot was tiny, but the course was fun. Another bumpy lot (not as bad as Bristol), but they made good use of the space.

I played around with SoloStorm more and think I have it working ok. Not sure why the timer stops prematurely, maybe the course routed too close to the finish and it picked up on that (via GPS). I successfully imported the high res version of the video and did the overlay, though it could be synced better (my own fault).

Ended up first overall on both index and raw time. Johanna was a couple tenths behind and landed 2nd on index.
Code Monkey and OverBoosted like this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to phate For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (07-18-2018), kTaLgsTo (07-18-2018), nindoja (07-18-2018)

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f12/mazdaspeed-6-suspension-data-diy-bilstein-coilovers-161806/
Posted By For Type Date
Shocks for a daily driven Mazdaspeed 6 This thread Refback 12-05-2015 09:07 PM
Whats New/General Speed 6 Discussion - Page 296 This thread Refback 11-29-2015 05:42 PM
fe1rx Ohlins Installation - Page 7 This thread Refback 08-23-2015 04:39 AM
fe1rx Ohlins Installation - Page 6 This thread Refback 04-25-2015 01:24 PM
Prepping as dedicated track car - Page 56 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum This thread Refback 02-21-2015 12:36 PM
BC coilovers VS. H&R coilovers - Page 15 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum This thread Refback 08-26-2014 07:50 AM
Whats New/General Speed 6 Discussion - Page 297 This thread Refback 07-28-2014 08:03 PM
racing aspirations » Suspension Geometry Calculator This thread Refback 06-21-2014 02:57 AM
Prepping as dedicated track car - Page 50 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum Post #48 Pingback 03-14-2014 12:36 PM
Prepping as dedicated track car - Page 46 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum This thread Refback 01-20-2014 11:02 AM