register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Suspension & Brakes

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Suspension & Brakes Discussion for suspension items like coilovers, springs, sway bars, mounts,chassis bracing and brakes.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree298Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 01-06-2015, 01:58 PM   #281

KevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 79 Times in 52 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Looking at the BMW example, I think his rate results will be high by a factor of 2. He said he used the polar moment of inertia pi R^4/2 , but it appears to be the area moment of inertia for bending pi R^4/4 .

Tracked Cars: 68 Triumph GT6 (~full race prep'd), 81 Porsche 924 Turbo, 93 Rx7 twin turbo
KevinK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-07-2015, 10:50 AM   #282
Eth Fiend

phate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the world
Thanked 21,675 Times in 5,852 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I think bushing deflection is our answer (or most of it, anyway). When I first did the test with the front ARB and stock bushings, I didn't take bar height measurements. I plugged everything into Excel and came up with ~half the expected rate. That prompted me to redo the test, but taking bar height measures at the bushings.

So, we'll work with this very accurate MSPaint technical drawing (haha):

To calculate the angle of the bar in this plane is simple if we assume it rotates around the center of the bar:

θ = sin[<Deflection B> / 9.25 ]

We take that θ to calculate the vertical movement at the end of the bar:

θ' = sin( <vert comp> / 18.5 )

<vert comp> = 18.5 x asin( θ' )

Then we just take that vertical compensation figure and subtract it from the total deflection:

<total deflection> - <vert comp> = <true deflection>

And the (somewhat closer) "true bar rate" is just:

<true deflection> / load = bar linear rate (lb/in)

__________________________________________________ ______

With real numbers:

Deflection B = .2266"

θ = sin (.2266 / 9.25)
θ = 1.40°

<vert comp> = 18.5 x asin(1.40°)
<vert comp> = .4531"

<true deflection> = .998" - .4531"
<true deflection> = .5449"

bar linear rate = 204.8 lb / .5449"
bar linear rate = 376 lb/in

Seems a bit more realistic?

www.mazdamotorsports.com <<--Mazda racer support program that is free to join and will save you a ton of money.

Last edited by phate; 01-07-2015 at 11:09 AM.
phate is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-07-2015, 11:38 AM   #283

KevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the worldKevinK2 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

You have eliminated the effect of the bushings (nice work) so the test should match the Puhn calculations, and 376 is close to 414 lb/in from Puhn.

If both deflections at B & C are the same magnitude, the center pivot assumption is correct. What was the C dimension that went with the B ?

Tracked Cars: 68 Triumph GT6 (~full race prep'd), 81 Porsche 924 Turbo, 93 Rx7 twin turbo

Last edited by KevinK2; 05-07-2015 at 12:01 PM.
 Old 01-16-2015, 12:31 PM   #284

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by phate View Post
I think bushing deflection is our answer (or most of it, anyway). When I first did the test with the front ARB and stock bushings, I didn't take bar height measurements. I plugged everything into Excel and came up with ~half the expected rate. That prompted me to redo the test, but taking bar height measures at the bushings.

So, we'll work with this very accurate MSPaint technical drawing (haha):

To calculate the angle of the bar in this plane is simple if we assume it rotates around the center of the bar:

θ = sin[<Deflection B> / 9.25 ]

We take that θ to calculate the vertical movement at the end of the bar:

θ' = sin( <vert comp> / 18.5 )

<vert comp> = 18.5 x asin( θ' )

Then we just take that vertical compensation figure and subtract it from the total deflection:

<total deflection> - <vert comp> = <true deflection>

And the (somewhat closer) "true bar rate" is just:

<true deflection> / load = bar linear rate (lb/in)

__________________________________________________ ______

With real numbers:

Deflection B = .2266"

θ = sin (.2266 / 9.25)
θ = 1.40°

<vert comp> = 18.5 x asin(1.40°)
<vert comp> = .4531"

<true deflection> = .998" - .4531"
<true deflection> = .5449"

bar linear rate = 204.8 lb / .5449"
bar linear rate = 376 lb/in

Seems a bit more realistic?
Was compensation (bushing deflection) vs load a linear plot, with no initial high deflection (ie, bushing was installed compressed by the clamped housing) ?

If so, and it's true for the proper sized urethane, then the Puhn or Staniforth rate should be softened with a correction factor accordingly. Your bench test is for the actual installed condition. In the case of my Triumph, the split aluminum housing would be close to the equation rates ... big difference.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:48 PM   #285
Bob Ross Fanclub

Tomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the world
Thanked 8,122 Times in 2,316 Posts
Groaned at 33 Times in 19 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Has anyone taken the isolators bolted to the upper control arms in the front off? I did and I don't notice a damn difference. How about the rears? I also took these off and don't notice even a slight increase in NVH anywhere.

MAKE LOVE TO THE CANVAS
Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tomas For This Useful Post:
Mauro_Penguin (01-19-2015)
 Old 01-20-2015, 05:22 AM   #286
Eth Fiend

phate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by KevinK2 View Post
Was compensation (bushing deflection) vs load a linear plot, with no initial high deflection (ie, bushing was installed compressed by the clamped housing) ?

If so, and it's true for the proper sized urethane, then the Puhn or Staniforth rate should be softened with a correction factor accordingly. Your bench test is for the actual installed condition. In the case of my Triumph, the split aluminum housing would be close to the equation rates ... big difference.

The rubber bushings were very close to linear. They had a fairly large deflection at each step, so it was pretty easy to see. The poly bushings didn't have near the deflection of the rubber, so I can't really say for sure. I would need more load/measurements to say for sure.

Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
Has anyone taken the isolators bolted to the upper control arms in the front off? I did and I don't notice a damn difference. How about the rears? I also took these off and don't notice even a slight increase in NVH anywhere.
My rear ones have been off since I got the car; I don't think they were ever there. The fronts were taken off when I put the WL bushings in. Same as you, I noticed no difference. Weight savings, lol.

www.mazdamotorsports.com <<--Mazda racer support program that is free to join and will save you a ton of money.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phate For This Useful Post:
Mauro_Penguin (01-20-2015), Tomas (02-04-2015)
 Old 01-20-2015, 02:30 PM   #287

Not Ranked  0 score     

The rubber bushings were very close to linear. They had a fairly large deflection at each step, so it was pretty easy to see.
I had always assumed, based on other generic curves I had seen, that there would be a lot of initial deflection for rubber, then much less at higher loads. This would be consistent with having a soft comfortable effect for normal driving. Your test shows the oem rubber bushings behave in a linear way, and the poly's provide about a 9% gain in net bar stiffness across the load range.

In Puhn's and Staniforth's books, they noted that it was assumed the pivot bushing locations were pinned, with none of the bushing deflection you measured. So there could be a correction factor for the rubber bushings, when calculting sway bar stiffness. It would be one value for your bar and others around the same dia with similar bushing geometry, separation, and material. But likely a different de-rate value for other bars with much different variables.

The poly bushings didn't have near the deflection of the rubber, so I can't really say for sure. I would need more load/measurements to say for sure.
That seem odd. The pinned at the bushing calculated rate is reduced by 50% by the rubber bushings, and you get 9% back with poly bushings, so the decrease in compression, from rubber to poly, for a given force is only 8% per my calculations. Ref Post # 269 ???

From the data you have, could you plot just the measured bushing deflection for the two Front ARB bushings, both rubber and poly ?

If you have the bench test set-up, when you have time, would you do the same tests for the rear bar, oem rubber and poly? It would be great to quantify the effect of poly vs rubber on oem bar to show the improvement in rate, as the separation of the bushins at the rear bar is smaller vs front bar, which magnifies any give in the bushings.

.... The fronts were taken off when I put the WL bushings in. Same as you, I noticed no difference. Weight savings, lol.
Yup, 9% increase in bar stiffness would be hard to feel

Old 01-20-2015, 02:39 PM   #288

Crarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,458 Times in 908 Posts
Groans: 98
Groaned at 45 Times in 32 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

If you're going to take measurements of the bars again, is there any way you could rig up a dial indicator on the sway bar adjacent to the bushing and actually measure how much it's deflecting? Seems like minimal extra effort to get actual results on something that's been now spawned a page of discussion.

2004 MSM TiGrey
AEM SRI - Turbosmart MBC - FM TBI - eBay DP - Turbosmart BPV - Mishimoto FMIC - Denso 305cc
Koni Sport - GC Coilover - Racing Beat 1.25" Front Sway Bar - SS Lines - 15x8 Flatout - 225/45 RS3
Crarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-20-2015, 03:22 PM   #289

Not Ranked  0 score     

Phate recently did that and reported the results on the top of this page. But to verify table stiffness, I had suggested measuring the housing deflection relative to ground (or measuring the table directly, near the bushings ) . But I was not clear, and he answered a different question about housing distortion. My bad.

The Following User Says Thank You to KevinK2 For This Useful Post:
Crarrs (01-20-2015)
 Old 01-20-2015, 03:38 PM   #290

Crarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,458 Times in 908 Posts
Groans: 98
Groaned at 45 Times in 32 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Phate recently did that and reported the results on the top of this page. But to verify table stiffness, I had suggested measuring the housing deflection relative to ground (or measuring the table directly, near the bushings ) . But I was not clear, and he answered a different question about housing distortion. My bad.

Totally missed that part of the discussion....carry on.

*back to interested lurking*

2004 MSM TiGrey
AEM SRI - Turbosmart MBC - FM TBI - eBay DP - Turbosmart BPV - Mishimoto FMIC - Denso 305cc
Koni Sport - GC Coilover - Racing Beat 1.25" Front Sway Bar - SS Lines - 15x8 Flatout - 225/45 RS3
Crarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-30-2015, 09:15 AM   #291

Not Ranked  0 score     

@Tomas;, I forgot to post this. Just a quick and dirty drawing of the second bar's potential location.

I was just switching to a softer rear bar on my Rx7, and noticed the lower endlink attaches to the lower shock/strut bolt, just like your design. I could check some measurments of this stud with integral nut and extended length for the endling attachment, if you wish. There are some used part sources. But you could always make this stud with a mid length nut Lock-tited on, etc.

On the plate for the pivot bushing, you could extend the side plate upward to allow 2 bolts on one side, to stabilize the mount against rotation about the single bolt shown.

The forces in the rear bar are small, so 1/8" plate sounds thick enough. I made my brackets for the Triumph out of thinner material.

That said, I bet you have about finished the fabrication

Old 02-01-2015, 09:49 AM   #292
Eth Fiend

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I was just switching to a softer rear bar on my Rx7, and noticed the lower endlink attaches to the lower shock/strut bolt, just like your design. I could check some measurments of this stud with integral nut and extended length for the endling attachment, if you wish. There are some used part sources. But you could always make this stud with a mid length nut Lock-tited on, etc.

On the plate for the pivot bushing, you could extend the side plate upward to allow 2 bolts on one side, to stabilize the mount against rotation about the single bolt shown.

The forces in the rear bar are small, so 1/8" plate sounds thick enough. I made my brackets for the Triumph out of thinner material.

That said, I bet you have about finished the fabrication
I'll probably just use 12mm rod ends in single shear, similar to what I made for the front. They were very inexpensive to make. Like you said, the forces at the end links are pretty small, so it shouldn't be an issue.

If my measurements are right, the brackets will sit right up against the bottom of the toe boxes flats, preventing rotation.

I'm triple checking my arm measurements and space restrictions today before finalizing. Should be 4-6 weeks from there, due to heat treatment.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:37 PM   #293

Not Ranked  0 score     

My rear bar on the GT6 was only 9/16" dia, and long with a high MR, with low stress levels. So I bought either pre-heat treated or nomalized rod and welded the ends to 3/16" thk cs lever arms, with small penetration welds on both sides (rod extended slightly beyond arm thickness). No problems. If it were a front bar, I would have used a stronger design.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:27 AM   #294
Eth Fiend

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Had some luck finding bushings for the rear suspension:

Trailing arm:

^compared to the old shell

Upper Control Arm:

Lower Control Arm:

__________________________________________________ _______________________

Everything is from http://www.polyurethan.ru/ Yep, straight from Russia. I sent a few emails back and forth and they confirmed these work so I picked them up. They also confirmed some front suspension bushings they make will work, as well. Links to their site:

The three I have for the rear suspension:

Lower Control Arm

Upper Control Arm

Trailing Arm

Three more they confirmed will work, for the FRONT suspension:

I think this is for the rearward LCA (the curved one):
http://www.polyurethan.ru/product/sa...eski-4-06-321/

Forward control arm, inner:
http://www.polyurethan.ru/en/product...yj-4-06-19621/

Forward control arm, shock mount:
http://www.polyurethan.ru/en/product...yj-4-06-19641/

This one they did not confirm will work, but should, anyway:

Front upper control arm:
http://www.polyurethan.ru/en/product...-oba-4-06-137/

__________________________________________________ __________________________

You might be wondering about the ordering process and how safe it is. They accept PayPal only, so it's as safe as any transaction through PayPal is. That sealed the deal for me. They have two shipping options: EMS Express and Russian Post.

I went with EMS Express. They hand off to USPS state side and tracking works along the entire route. It took 10 days from the time I ordered to the time it was delivered. Shipping cost for all 10 of those bushings was ~$45. If you add it all up, I spent less than $150 including shipping on all of these bushings. Substantially less than what I paid for any of the WhiteLine stuff...

The hardware total was <$100, so no duty fees afaik. I'm not totally sure if there will be duty fees if you go above $100, so maybe do some searching around before putting in a big order.

They were pretty helpful through emails, so hit them up if you have any questions for them. The actual ordering process is not typical for an online store. You submit your order and put in all of your shipping info, select the shipping option, then wait for them to invoice you through PayPal after shipping is calculated. It was all pretty quick, just remember they're on the other side of the world so if you email during the day, you might get responses at odd hours. They were always pretty quick to reply, though.

__________________________________________________ __________________________

They don't make any bushings for the toe links, which is what I really wanted. BUT, the LCA bushings are a smaller diameter than the toe link bushings....so I might just make a sleeve for the toe links and use the LCA bushings in there.

I'll press these into my extra arms in the next few weeks.
TiGraySpeed6 likes this.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to phate For This Useful Post:
ButtholeRedMS3 (11-16-2015), Code Monkey (02-21-2015), Easter Bunny (02-24-2015), jbbuie (02-21-2015), MS3johanna (02-25-2015), TiGraySpeed6 (02-21-2015), Tomas (02-23-2015), wolly6973 (02-22-2015)
 Old 02-21-2015, 12:17 PM   #295

Not Ranked  0 score     

Looks great. Not sure if they provide Mazda6 components, but this Rx7 guy found "Super Now" suspension bushing upgrade kit featuring metal spherical bearings.FD-rx7 pandazrx-time-attack-build I suspect very expensive.

Last edited by KevinK2; 02-21-2015 at 04:55 PM.
Tomas (02-23-2015)
 Old 02-23-2015, 06:38 PM   #296
Bob Ross Fanclub

Tomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Fuck datza baller RX7 build

MAKE LOVE TO THE CANVAS
 Old 02-23-2015, 08:06 PM   #297
Eth Fiend

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

$4k for that set of sphericals. Too rich for me (and not allowed), haha.

I'm going to make the ID of the toe links the same as the ID of the LCA's by pressing in some sleeves. This way I can run those poly LCA bushings in the toe links and leave the LCA bushings stock for now and swap in new ones later if needed. I cleaned up the ID of the bushings in the meantime.

The desired affect is to counter some of the geometric toe-in bump steer by allowing the LCA (stock bushings) to deflect inward under cornering load while holding the forward section of the trailing arm more rigidly (with the poly). I'll probably put a set of poly bushings in my extra set of LCA's and have them on stand by. If the car gets all loosey goosey from these changes (doubtful), I can throw them on the car to see if it neutralizes some of this affect.

The Following User Says Thank You to phate For This Useful Post:
Nliiitend1 (02-24-2015)
 Old 02-24-2015, 10:14 AM   #298

Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm note sure, but just looking at the FSM for the similar M6, the linkage for the rear suspension is overconstrained. By that, I mean if spherical bearings were installed in the upper and lower control arms, and the trailing arm, that would be sufficient to control suspension motion. But if the toe-link were added with spherical bearings, that would cause a binding condition during suspension travel.

If so, Mazda may have used all rubber bushings to prevent this binding condition, and allow adjustment of toe and camber. It just means something to keep in mind while converting to poly bushings.

Urethanes engineering
Fig 5-7 show shore A vs shore D in durometer ratings. I think most "hard urethane" bushing ratings are shore-D . see fig 4.

http://Urethane Guide
See pg 38, & fig 5-24 for load / deflection for hard urethanes (shoreD).

Last edited by KevinK2; 02-24-2015 at 04:43 PM.
 Old 02-24-2015, 04:29 PM   #299

Nliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,629 Times in 3,120 Posts
Groans: 67
Groaned at 17 Times in 16 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm note sure, but just looking at the FWM for the similar M6, the linkage for the rear suspension is overconstrained. By that, I mean if spherical bearings were installed in the upper and lower control arms, and the trailing arm, that would be sufficient to control suspension motion. But if the toe-link were added with spherical bearings, that would cause a binding condition during suspension travel.

If so, Mazda may have used all rubber bushings to prevent this binding condition, and allow adjustment of toe and camber. It just means something to keep in mind while converting to poly bushings.
Yup. They did this on the MS3 as well.

2008 MS3 GT
2016 MX-5 Club

Nliiitend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-24-2015, 06:03 PM   #300
Eth Fiend

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Some info from their site about hardness:

http://www.polyurethan.ru/en/article...ane/tvyordost/

http://www.polyurethan.ru/en/article...i-poliuretana/

[If it doesn't come up in English, there's a toggle in the upper right hand corner with a Russian flag.]

They aren't terribly hard bushings - in the 68-76A range for these. Maybe not even much stiffer than the stock rubber, but likely much stiffer than the current bushings with 160k miles on them.

If you haven't browsed their site, check out this design:

http://www.polyurethan.ru/en/article...-sajlentbloki/

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to phate For This Useful Post:
Easter Bunny (02-24-2015), KevinK2 (02-24-2015), Nliiitend1 (02-24-2015), TiGraySpeed6 (02-25-2015)
 Old 02-24-2015, 07:48 PM   #301

Not Ranked  0 score     

They appear to have very good products, and know what they are doing. They are using hardness similar to the oem elastomer, as you noted, like standard tire hardness. As you figured, suspension bind will not be a problem. As a comparison, the sway bar bushings that come with the Whiteline rear bar are much harder, measured on the D scale.

They are molded onto the inner steel bushing, like oem. I'm not sure if a Prothane or Energy kit would have that ... I recall some with a loose inner collar. But like oem's, they should be tightened with the car resting on the tires, as you know.

One thing they do is eliminate some of the air gaps found on some suspension bushings, which would stiffen that type of bushing.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:04 AM   #302
Eth Fiend

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

All of my whiteline bushings have a floating inner sleeve. We'll see how these hold up.

I haven't touched the whiteline bushings since I installed them over a year ago and haven't had any squeaking issues. I'll be swapping clutches in a couple weeks and plan to pull the arms off and relube them while the subframe is out of the car.

Also going to get the car realigned and corner balanced once all of the new hardware is in. Hopefully around March 10th, then it's the first autocrosses the 21st and 22nd of March. I have the new tires mounted already. I went with BFG Rivals even though I didn't love my last set. 245/40 was on close out at TireRack, so I grabbed a set while they were still in stock.

The Following User Says Thank You to phate For This Useful Post:
Nliiitend1 (02-25-2015)
 Old 02-25-2015, 09:42 AM   #303

Not Ranked  0 score     

Even if it were possible for Whiteline to find a hard polyurethane mold to the inner steel tube, you would not want to because of the rotation required at those suspension joints.

If anyone does have poly bushings that squeak, I suggest Permatex antiseeze paste, carried by most hardware or parts stores. Squea free at RB bar bushings on my tracked car for ~1000 miles at HPDE's.

Are going to shave the BFG's? My Kumho Vitoracers only had minor tread on the inside edge, so I just had them "heat treated" ... letting them spin on a turning roller with some minimal load, per tirerack.

Any update on custom rear sway bar??

Old 02-28-2015, 02:56 PM   #304
Eth Fiend

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

First ones in and they fit great.

I'm waiting on some pipe to get turned down to the size of the toe link receiver ID and then I'll cut and press them in along with the LCA bushings. Trailing arms will be pressed in when I can judge the necessary angle (so no preload at ride height). The week after next is when everything will get done.

No arb news. It's slow going.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to phate For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (02-28-2015), KevinK2 (03-02-2015), Tomas (03-06-2015), wolly6973 (02-28-2015)
 Old 03-10-2015, 03:55 PM   #305
Eth Fiend

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

UCA's are in with the new bushings, as well as the toe links. 800lb springs are in, also. The trailing arm bushings didn't work out. One pressed in perfectly, the other dropped right through. No measurable difference in the OD of the bushing sleeves, so the trailing arms were slightly different.

Pic showing all 3 changes:

Whiteline bar is also back in for now.

Alignment and corner balance tomorrow morning.
TiGraySpeed6 likes this.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to phate For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (03-10-2015), jbbuie (03-10-2015), Nliiitend1 (03-11-2015), TiGraySpeed6 (03-10-2015), wolly6973 (03-11-2015)
 Old 03-10-2015, 04:55 PM   #306
Banned

license2ill is infamous around these partslicense2ill is infamous around these parts
Groans: 30
Groaned at 132 Times in 57 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Is there a specific reason you chose the Whiteline sway bar?
license2ill is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-10-2015, 05:03 PM   #307

TiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,748 Times in 2,277 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Lack of choice/options....
Was a Mazdaspeed6 GT #3476 TiGray slicktop
Now in a BMW 135i - double the turbos, double the fun!
E82.N54 2009 / BSM / A/T / Drop-in / PR CP / Berk Street / MHD / xHP
340hp / 371tq
TiGraySpeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiGraySpeed6 For This Useful Post:
Nliiitend1 (03-11-2015), phate (03-10-2015)
 Old 03-30-2015, 11:26 AM   #308

MSP611 is the leader of the worldMSP611 is the leader of the worldMSP611 is the leader of the worldMSP611 is the leader of the worldMSP611 is the leader of the worldMSP611 is the leader of the worldMSP611 is the leader of the worldMSP611 is the leader of the worldMSP611 is the leader of the worldMSP611 is the leader of the worldMSP611 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,489 Times in 585 Posts
Groaned at 29 Times in 20 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

man this thread is super... this sounds like the best and biggest bang for your buck on suspension for the ms6.... If you don't mind me askin @phate; what did FCM charge you for the bilsteins? did u provide the bilsteins originally? if so wat did u pay for those? im looking to possibly get close to mimicking your setup but more for mt. driving and mostly street use. Ive read the thread all the way and it seemed to show tht u said they were still pretty comfortable on the street.

Sorry for the personal financial questions just tryin to see if this kind of suspension build is within my realm... Fuckin drivetrain engineers over here analyzing everything. I would of had no idea where to start.

Great work, keep it up, this is the best
Engine: Built long block by Keefover. Keyed crank,keyed cams/VVT,Crower 65lb valve springs,Wiseco pistons,Manley H beam rods,AFI t3 stock location mani,Comp turbo CT4x 53-56,Kozmic 6th port PI with 2200cc bosch injectors,N2MB WOT box,Relentless ported intake mani,Kozmic oil feed line,Custom oil return line,Ramfab 3.5" intake,Ramfab alum. crash bar,Ramfab IC piping,TR10 IC,Saiko Michi and JBR dual custom catch can setup, Guardian angel v3 with 4bar map sensor,Dual Deatschwerks in-tank fuel hat with bigger pickup,-6an nylon braided fuel lines,Fuel labs FPR,SP63 3 port EBCS,Mishimoto oil cooler, HKS SSQV1,BSD,Autotech FP internals,CPE injector seals EGR delete,TB coolant bypass delete,M2 Ebay DP
Suspenion/Bracing: Sonic tuning CO's revalved by Feal Suspension, QA1 600lb rear springs, 750lb front Swift springs,AWR front and rear sway bar endlinks,Whiteline RSB,SPC front adjustable ball joints,GT spec ladder brace,SU rear interior brace,NRG harness bar.
Drivetrain:SS brake lines,SS clutch line,Carbotech ax6 F&R, Southbend STG 3 endurance clutch and flywheel,SU rear diff mount,SU front rear diff mount,SP63 TC caps,DSS rear axles,AWR Trilogy mounts 70A,Hubcentric centering rings,2" brake ducting F&R,TWM STS stg 1 with bushing kit
Interior:Redline custom shift boot,Redline custom steering wheel cover,Redline custom ebrake handle cover Bride Stradia V.2 rep seats,Corbeau seat brackets,JBR heavy shift knob,Custom LED gauge cluster,Custom Steering column dual gauge pod,AEM wideband failsafe,AEM oil pressure gauge,Schrothe Rallye 4 harnesses,Escort 9500ix with mirror mount and hard wired with external controller,DIY ipod adapter.
Exterior: STI front lip,Enkei PF01SS 17x9 +48 wrapped in Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R's 245/45/17,Full clear bra,Muteki SR48 blue locking lug nuts,RHO side plate mount,Smoked side markers, Shark fin antenna
MSP611 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MSP611 For This Useful Post:
phate (03-31-2015)
 Old 03-30-2015, 11:39 AM   #309

Code Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the world
Thanked 9,766 Times in 3,845 Posts
Groans: 17
Groaned at 32 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Shaikh charges $250 per corner to revalve, you supply your own shocks.

2017 Subaru BRZ
MCS TT1 coilovers|Brembo BBK|6UL 17x9|Trofeo R|ACE 350|flex fuel|Delicious tuned
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Code Monkey For This Useful Post:
Easter Bunny (03-31-2015), phate (03-30-2015)
 Old 03-30-2015, 11:41 AM   #310

blackmicamps6 is the leader of the worldblackmicamps6 is the leader of the worldblackmicamps6 is the leader of the worldblackmicamps6 is the leader of the worldblackmicamps6 is the leader of the worldblackmicamps6 is the leader of the worldblackmicamps6 is the leader of the worldblackmicamps6 is the leader of the worldblackmicamps6 is the leader of the worldblackmicamps6 is the leader of the worldblackmicamps6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,873 Times in 894 Posts
Groans: 127
Groaned at 24 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I don't know about the FCM part but i got my bilsteins from tirerack and they were very cheap.. I think 100 something for the rears and 160 ish for the fronts.
2007 BlackMicaMPS6| MDM RMM| Forge V2 BPV|Cobb SRI| M2 Downpipe|Denso ITV22's|Cobb AP| Cobb TiP|AutoTech Internals|CP-E TMIC| MDM SSP| SPC Ball joints |Bilstein Shocks| RPM Sport springs| XCarLink MP3 Adapter| 30% window tint| Powerslot rotors| Hawk HPS Pads| Sharkfin Antenna

FreekTuned
blackmicamps6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blackmicamps6 For This Useful Post:
Easter Bunny (03-31-2015), phate (03-31-2015)
 Old 03-30-2015, 11:48 AM   #311

MSP611 is the leader of the worldMSP611 is the leader of the worldMSP611 is the leader of the worldMSP611 is the leader of the worldMSP611 is the leader of the worldMSP611 is the leader of the worldMSP611 is the leader of the worldMSP611 is the leader of the worldMSP611 is the leader of the worldMSP611 is the leader of the worldMSP611 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thts a great price, so say for $500 a corner u can have custom valved bilsteins? Guess I need to read back through to see links for all the other stuff. It sucks bein overseas and bein diff hours, hard to call. Internet fuckin sucks here too.
Engine: Built long block by Keefover. Keyed crank,keyed cams/VVT,Crower 65lb valve springs,Wiseco pistons,Manley H beam rods,AFI t3 stock location mani,Comp turbo CT4x 53-56,Kozmic 6th port PI with 2200cc bosch injectors,N2MB WOT box,Relentless ported intake mani,Kozmic oil feed line,Custom oil return line,Ramfab 3.5" intake,Ramfab alum. crash bar,Ramfab IC piping,TR10 IC,Saiko Michi and JBR dual custom catch can setup, Guardian angel v3 with 4bar map sensor,Dual Deatschwerks in-tank fuel hat with bigger pickup,-6an nylon braided fuel lines,Fuel labs FPR,SP63 3 port EBCS,Mishimoto oil cooler, HKS SSQV1,BSD,Autotech FP internals,CPE injector seals EGR delete,TB coolant bypass delete,M2 Ebay DP
Suspenion/Bracing: Sonic tuning CO's revalved by Feal Suspension, QA1 600lb rear springs, 750lb front Swift springs,AWR front and rear sway bar endlinks,Whiteline RSB,SPC front adjustable ball joints,GT spec ladder brace,SU rear interior brace,NRG harness bar.
Drivetrain:SS brake lines,SS clutch line,Carbotech ax6 F&R, Southbend STG 3 endurance clutch and flywheel,SU rear diff mount,SU front rear diff mount,SP63 TC caps,DSS rear axles,AWR Trilogy mounts 70A,Hubcentric centering rings,2" brake ducting F&R,TWM STS stg 1 with bushing kit
Interior:Redline custom shift boot,Redline custom steering wheel cover,Redline custom ebrake handle cover Bride Stradia V.2 rep seats,Corbeau seat brackets,JBR heavy shift knob,Custom LED gauge cluster,Custom Steering column dual gauge pod,AEM wideband failsafe,AEM oil pressure gauge,Schrothe Rallye 4 harnesses,Escort 9500ix with mirror mount and hard wired with external controller,DIY ipod adapter.
Exterior: STI front lip,Enkei PF01SS 17x9 +48 wrapped in Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R's 245/45/17,Full clear bra,Muteki SR48 blue locking lug nuts,RHO side plate mount,Smoked side markers, Shark fin antenna
phate (03-31-2015)
 Old 03-30-2015, 12:25 PM   #312

Code Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the world
Thanked 9,766 Times in 3,845 Posts
Groans: 17
Groaned at 32 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

It would be $1,000 for a revalve of all 4 corners + cost of shocks + shipping charges. Shaikh sleeps until like noon and works very late, I talked to him several times at midnight here in TX.

2017 Subaru BRZ
MCS TT1 coilovers|Brembo BBK|6UL 17x9|Trofeo R|ACE 350|flex fuel|Delicious tuned
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Code Monkey For This Useful Post:
Easter Bunny (03-31-2015), phate (03-30-2015), zenit (03-30-2015)
 Old 03-30-2015, 01:08 PM   #313

zenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,083 Times in 729 Posts
Groans: 56
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yup, he does good work for sure, but 1000 for a revalve was too rich for me.

"if anyone else acts a fool, we'll punish them to Roberts oil hut to discuss string alignment technique"
-wetzel
zenit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zenit For This Useful Post:
phate (03-31-2015)
 Old 03-31-2015, 12:38 AM   #314

Not Ranked  0 score     

Where can u buy the stock bilstein b6s from??
 Old 03-31-2015, 04:56 AM   #315

TiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,748 Times in 2,277 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Shock Warehouse is where I got mine from, they have the set of four currently priced at $475 & free shipping.

Bilstein - KYB - Rancho - Monroe - Edelbrock Automotive Truck Shocks and Struts - Shockwarehouse.com
Was a Mazdaspeed6 GT #3476 TiGray slicktop
Now in a BMW 135i - double the turbos, double the fun!
E82.N54 2009 / BSM / A/T / Drop-in / PR CP / Berk Street / MHD / xHP
340hp / 371tq
TiGraySpeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiGraySpeed6 For This Useful Post:
phate (03-31-2015), xfeejayx (04-07-2015)
 Old 03-31-2015, 05:10 AM   #316

Not Ranked  0 score     

I didn't see @phate; if u were using the blue springs up front as well or the QA1's... R u still running the 850F/1000R??? I also only see a 5" OD with a free length of 8" not 7" is this wat u meant or did u actually get 7"?
phate (03-31-2015)
 Old 03-31-2015, 05:30 AM   #317
Eth Fiend

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by MSP611 View Post
I didn't see @phate; if u were using the blue springs up front as well or the QA1's... R u still running the 850F/1000R??? I also only see a 5" OD with a free length of 8" not 7" is this wat u meant or did u actually get 7"?
The fronts are just a regular 2.5" ID, 8" free length spring available from pretty much every spring manufacturer. I currently have 850# Eibachs up there.

The rears are SSS (blue coils) 5" OD, 7" free length springs. I think they're labeled as torque arm springs in their catalog on their site. I have 800's out back right now.

If you don't need 800#++ rear springs, the QA1's work great.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to phate For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (03-31-2015), Ingle (03-31-2015), Mauro_Penguin (03-31-2015)
 Old 03-31-2015, 06:30 AM   #318
Bob Ross Fanclub

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
It would be $1,000 for a revalve of all 4 corners + cost of shocks + shipping charges. Shaikh sleeps until like noon and works very late, I talked to him several times at midnight here in TX.
Is that code word for "I had to do dishonorable things late at night to get my Bills revalved"?
Did he at least give your breakfast when he woke up at noon?

MAKE LOVE TO THE CANVAS
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tomas For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (03-31-2015), Mauro_Penguin (03-31-2015)
 Old 03-31-2015, 08:53 AM   #319

Not Ranked  0 score     

In case it's not clear about Bilsteins, the B6-HD and B8-SP versions are the same shocks for stiffer springs, but the B8 is also designed for ~30-50 mm drop. It has a shorter rod, and shorter stroke, and keeps the extended and compressed distance about the same with drop springs.
Bilstein FAQs

xfeejayx (04-07-2015)
 Old 03-31-2015, 09:02 AM   #320

Not Ranked  0 score     

I know I will be a lil heavier than you when I do my corner balance becuz I will be full interior with some bracing minus some weight obviously from cats and a couple extra things but prob pretty close to stock, so im thinkin of doin minimum 850sF/900sR or so in the rear....

Also other than the bump travel measurements I thought u needed a longer spring for the available 12" or so of full travel?... im sure im getting something wrong and my numbers r off, but jw why the choice of the 7" spring exactly

so technically @KevinK2; it would give you a lil more low? The real question is in the extra 30-50mm lowering r u wasting the space just for looks with less actual function?

Last edited by MSP611; 03-31-2015 at 09:02 AM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f12/mazdaspeed-6-suspension-data-diy-bilstein-coilovers-161806/
Posted By For Type Date
Shocks for a daily driven Mazdaspeed 6 This thread Refback 12-05-2015 09:07 PM
Whats New/General Speed 6 Discussion - Page 296 This thread Refback 11-29-2015 05:42 PM
fe1rx Ohlins Installation - Page 7 This thread Refback 08-23-2015 04:39 AM
fe1rx Ohlins Installation - Page 6 This thread Refback 04-25-2015 01:24 PM
Prepping as dedicated track car - Page 56 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum This thread Refback 02-21-2015 12:36 PM
BC coilovers VS. H&R coilovers - Page 15 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum This thread Refback 08-26-2014 07:50 AM
Whats New/General Speed 6 Discussion - Page 297 This thread Refback 07-28-2014 08:03 PM
racing aspirations » Suspension Geometry Calculator This thread Refback 06-21-2014 02:57 AM
Prepping as dedicated track car - Page 50 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum Post #48 Pingback 03-14-2014 12:36 PM
Prepping as dedicated track car - Page 46 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum This thread Refback 01-20-2014 11:02 AM