register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Suspension & Brakes

Notices

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Suspension & Brakes Discussion for suspension items like coilovers, springs, sway bars, mounts,chassis bracing and brakes.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 09-25-2011, 05:44 PM   #1

High on PSI has a spectacular aura aboutHigh on PSI has a spectacular aura about
Groans: 0
Groaned at 13 Times in 5 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Is it my transmission mount?

Just for the info, I have a SURE rear engine mount.

Okay, everytime I shift from 1 - 2 - 3 I get a clunk noise in between every gear WHEN the clutch is pushed in, it does not happen if I lift of throttle and not push the clutch in. It sounds like it's coming from the front or the middle ish? Very irritating and stopping me from driving hard because I'm scared of something falling out.

If I WOT in between these gears, the clunk is EXTRA LOUD!! very noticeable to people that drive beside me.

Could this be the transmission mount failing?
High on PSI is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-25-2011, 05:45 PM   #2

SWAY is the leader of the worldSWAY is the leader of the worldSWAY is the leader of the worldSWAY is the leader of the worldSWAY is the leader of the worldSWAY is the leader of the worldSWAY is the leader of the worldSWAY is the leader of the worldSWAY is the leader of the worldSWAY is the leader of the worldSWAY is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,891 Times in 1,065 Posts
Groans: 190
Groaned at 60 Times in 43 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Check the rmm could be that, pull it out and look to make sure

TEAM LBN BEERS -- FYCN
TEAM MUMFORD -- FYCN
SWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SWAY For This Useful Post:
Post pwned (09-25-2011)
 Old 09-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #3

BobbleHead is the leader of the worldBobbleHead is the leader of the worldBobbleHead is the leader of the worldBobbleHead is the leader of the worldBobbleHead is the leader of the worldBobbleHead is the leader of the worldBobbleHead is the leader of the worldBobbleHead is the leader of the worldBobbleHead is the leader of the worldBobbleHead is the leader of the worldBobbleHead is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,087 Times in 887 Posts
Groans: 185
Groaned at 33 Times in 25 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

likely your RMM

BobbleHead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BobbleHead For This Useful Post:
Post pwned (09-25-2011)
 Old 09-25-2011, 05:54 PM   #4

SWAY is the leader of the worldSWAY is the leader of the worldSWAY is the leader of the worldSWAY is the leader of the worldSWAY is the leader of the worldSWAY is the leader of the worldSWAY is the leader of the worldSWAY is the leader of the worldSWAY is the leader of the worldSWAY is the leader of the worldSWAY is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,891 Times in 1,065 Posts
Groans: 190
Groaned at 60 Times in 43 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yup just happened to me my bushing was fucked I had to pull it out to see I'm back on the stocker

TEAM LBN BEERS -- FYCN
TEAM MUMFORD -- FYCN
SWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-25-2011, 07:31 PM   #5

Post pwned is the leader of the worldPost pwned is the leader of the worldPost pwned is the leader of the worldPost pwned is the leader of the worldPost pwned is the leader of the worldPost pwned is the leader of the worldPost pwned is the leader of the worldPost pwned is the leader of the worldPost pwned is the leader of the worldPost pwned is the leader of the worldPost pwned is the leader of the world
Groans: 53
Groaned at 16 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

In b4 dropped bolt.
 Old 09-26-2011, 01:37 AM   #6

High on PSI has a spectacular aura aboutHigh on PSI has a spectacular aura about
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

RMM and REM is the same thing right? If so, it is fine and it was only installed last week as well.

At first it was torqued at 65 ft lb. And I got the clunk, so I was thinking it was the RMM, torqued to 80 ft lb. Still getting the clunk.
 Old 09-26-2011, 02:20 AM   #7

4G63 is the leader of the world4G63 is the leader of the world4G63 is the leader of the world4G63 is the leader of the world4G63 is the leader of the world4G63 is the leader of the world4G63 is the leader of the world4G63 is the leader of the world4G63 is the leader of the world4G63 is the leader of the world4G63 is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,041 Times in 786 Posts
Groans: 123
Groaned at 157 Times in 79 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

RMM is rear motor mount, REM is a shitty band IMO (in my opinion)

Can't hurt to pull it off and check it again takes like 15mins. Maybe u need to change ur tranny fluid? No idea what car you're driving or your mileage. Any clunk would be a motor mount like previously said the trannies on these cara are extremely stout I'd highly rule against it being a transmission problem

BUILD PLANS: LR 2.0/2.4, 6466, 800+whp. Shooting for 9s at full weight. Time is on my side, gonna take forever.

Old: 2009 White MS3. Fully bolted and tuned. Sold
4G63 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4G63 For This Useful Post:
karl-hungus (09-26-2011)
 Old 09-26-2011, 04:30 AM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Its a MS6, 59,xxx KM

I did just pull it off today, looks like how I bought it except for some small scratches from install.

Someone told me it could be the other mounts.. like driver and passenger side that are failing. And I was just asking to see if anyone actually thought so
 Old 09-26-2011, 06:09 AM   #9
patrick failman

karl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,429 Times in 2,184 Posts
Groans: 74
Groaned at 55 Times in 47 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

take out your battery box and inspect the tranny mount. bet the latter is ripped.

oh, and have some rem or coldplay playing in the background.

Coldplay honors R.E.M. at Music Midtown | Atlanta Music Scene
2012 ingot silver mustang gt w/ 6 speed, 3.73 rear end, bama 93 tune, cat deletes, boss 302 oil cooler, roush cai, dynotech aluminum driveshaft, ford racing strut tower brace, dampers & springs, boss 302 sway bars, gt500 strut mounts, lower control arms & axle backs, j&m adjustable panhard bar, steeda upper control arm & 3 point braces, jlt catch can, barton short shifter & shift bracket
karl-hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-26-2011, 06:39 PM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Lol what....

Yeah I'm going to have a look, no idea where it is though...
 Old 09-27-2011, 07:45 AM   #11

Skipper has a reputation beyond reputeSkipper has a reputation beyond reputeSkipper has a reputation beyond reputeSkipper has a reputation beyond reputeSkipper has a reputation beyond reputeSkipper has a reputation beyond reputeSkipper has a reputation beyond reputeSkipper has a reputation beyond reputeSkipper has a reputation beyond reputeSkipper has a reputation beyond reputeSkipper has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

If you are extra sure it's not your RMM (and you really do need to take it out to check the bushing) then I'd suspect the tranny mount (drivers side below the battery box.) It will take a bit to get to it, but there is some good disassembly advice here:
How to: Install TRZ Transmission Mount

Check the bolt for tightness to torque spec.

Check for ripping around the sides of the rubber (there is supposed to be a small gap on each side, but check for tears going away from those points.

If possible, take a light and a camera and check the distance and connection from the mount bolt to the mount point, noted in the copied pic below. Ensure there is no gap. You can jack the engine up just a bit from underneath to see if you get movement of the mount or bolt when the weight shifts off the chassis.

Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Skipper For This Useful Post:
speedtown (09-27-2011)
 Old 09-27-2011, 06:27 PM   #12

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Is that on a 3? It doesn't look like a 6 at all..

And how do I know if the bushing on my RMM is stuffed? Will it be ripped or...?

I tried looking for the tranny mount yesterday... don't know where it is
 Old 09-28-2011, 10:11 AM   #13
patrick failman

karl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,429 Times in 2,184 Posts
Groans: 74
Groaned at 55 Times in 47 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

2012 ingot silver mustang gt w/ 6 speed, 3.73 rear end, bama 93 tune, cat deletes, boss 302 oil cooler, roush cai, dynotech aluminum driveshaft, ford racing strut tower brace, dampers & springs, boss 302 sway bars, gt500 strut mounts, lower control arms & axle backs, j&m adjustable panhard bar, steeda upper control arm & 3 point braces, jlt catch can, barton short shifter & shift bracket
karl-hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-05-2011, 05:53 AM   #14

Skipper has a reputation beyond reputeSkipper has a reputation beyond reputeSkipper has a reputation beyond reputeSkipper has a reputation beyond reputeSkipper has a reputation beyond reputeSkipper has a reputation beyond reputeSkipper has a reputation beyond reputeSkipper has a reputation beyond reputeSkipper has a reputation beyond reputeSkipper has a reputation beyond reputeSkipper has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by High on PSI View Post
Is that on a 3? It doesn't look like a 6 at all..

And how do I know if the bushing on my RMM is stuffed? Will it be ripped or...?

I tried looking for the tranny mount yesterday... don't know where it is

It's a 3. I missed your comment that you were in a 6, bud.
Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-13-2011, 09:35 AM   #15

Grab21 has much to be proud ofGrab21 has much to be proud ofGrab21 has much to be proud ofGrab21 has much to be proud ofGrab21 has much to be proud ofGrab21 has much to be proud ofGrab21 has much to be proud ofGrab21 has much to be proud of
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

I think my tranny mount is failling also... Any word on your issue? I am a speed 6
 Old 12-13-2011, 10:24 AM   #16

Alpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,899 Times in 1,359 Posts
Groans: 24
Groaned at 107 Times in 59 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Do yourself a favor and get a TT Front Engine Mount to compliment your replaced RMM. They're the only two mounts you'll need on that engine IME. Solid and quite tame on vibes once broken in.

If your trans mount happens to be shot from the process, just replace it with a stocker if it's your DD IMHO.

Good luck.
 Old 12-14-2011, 04:09 PM   #17

robertof is the leader of the worldrobertof is the leader of the worldrobertof is the leader of the worldrobertof is the leader of the worldrobertof is the leader of the worldrobertof is the leader of the worldrobertof is the leader of the worldrobertof is the leader of the worldrobertof is the leader of the worldrobertof is the leader of the worldrobertof is the leader of the world
Groans: 8
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
Do yourself a favor and get a TT Front Engine Mount to compliment your replaced RMM. They're the only two mounts you'll need on that engine IME. Solid and quite tame on vibes once broken in.

If your trans mount happens to be shot from the process, just replace it with a stocker if it's your DD IMHO.

Good luck.
How's the vibration on the front engine mount? Is it unbearable for a DD?
robertof is online now   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-14-2011, 05:25 PM   #18

Alpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the worldAlpha is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by robertof View Post
Like I said, it's very mild and the MOST tame solution for the MS6 IME.
 Old 12-14-2011, 07:26 PM   #19

robertof is the leader of the worldrobertof is the leader of the worldrobertof is the leader of the worldrobertof is the leader of the worldrobertof is the leader of the worldrobertof is the leader of the worldrobertof is the leader of the worldrobertof is the leader of the worldrobertof is the leader of the worldrobertof is the leader of the worldrobertof is the leader of the world
Groans: 8
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
Like I said, it's very mild and the MOST tame solution for the MS6 IME.
At $300 bones, I'm going to wait and see if JBR is gonna make some of these.
robertof is online now   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #20

SSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,426 Times in 1,587 Posts
Groans: 46
Groaned at 16 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I swear I had less vibration with the TT front mount and my CP-E RMM, than I had with just the Cp-E RMM..
Fully Built : Arias Pistons: Pauter Rods : ARP bolts: Ported Head: Cosworth BSD : Spec 3+ Clutch : Fidanza Flywheel : AWR Engine mounts 90duro : Custom TIP/Intake : Custom Blow Through 3.5" MAF : Custom FMIC : HKS SSQV VTA : Ported IM : Custom DP : Custom Exhaust : CPBoost Top Mount EM : Garrett GT3582R : PTP Turbo Blanket: Tial V44 EWG : Perrin EBCS : MrLilGuy/PTP HPFP : Ported fuel line : Ported Fuel Rail : Custom Ported Fuel Injectors : Kenny Bell Boost-a-Pump : HKS Twin Power DLI II : HKS M-Series Plugs : Cobb AP : AEM 3.5bar MAP :Koni Sport shocks : RPM Kspec Springs : TWM STS : TT Front Diff Mount : CPE Upper Diff Mount : Whiteline RSB : AWR Endlinks
SSinstaller is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-14-2011, 07:44 PM   #21

Not Ranked  0 score     

At $300 bones, I'm going to wait and see if JBR is gonna make some of these.
Jamie's never been big on 6 hardparts TBH. I'd go with a new or used TT.

Originally Posted by SSinstaller View Post
I swear I had less vibration with the TT front mount and my CP-E RMM, than I had with just the Cp-E RMM..
Definitely. The RMM didn't even do much for reducing engine movement, but when I added the front mount it was night and day. I wouldn't run anything else.