register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Suspension & Brakes

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Suspension & Brakes Discussion for suspension items like coilovers, springs, sway bars, mounts,chassis bracing and brakes.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 10-31-2012, 03:27 PM   #1

breakfasteatre is the leader of the worldbreakfasteatre is the leader of the worldbreakfasteatre is the leader of the worldbreakfasteatre is the leader of the worldbreakfasteatre is the leader of the worldbreakfasteatre is the leader of the worldbreakfasteatre is the leader of the worldbreakfasteatre is the leader of the worldbreakfasteatre is the leader of the worldbreakfasteatre is the leader of the worldbreakfasteatre is the leader of the world
Groans: 12
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default New big brake possibilities? We share front brake calipers with audis/vws

Sitting at a red light, noticed the A4 beside me had the same brake calipers as our car. That got me thinking. The vw/audi aftermarket is huge, and im sure there are many bolt on big brake kits available for that platform

notice audi stamp, same caliper

Im not interested in getting a bbk, but thought that this might be a direction that hasnt been explored yet
 Old 10-31-2012, 03:35 PM   #2

daafisch is the leader of the worlddaafisch is the leader of the worlddaafisch is the leader of the worlddaafisch is the leader of the worlddaafisch is the leader of the worlddaafisch is the leader of the worlddaafisch is the leader of the worlddaafisch is the leader of the worlddaafisch is the leader of the worlddaafisch is the leader of the worlddaafisch is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,866 Times in 1,439 Posts
Groans: 58
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

There was discussion in one of the Brembo BBK threads that said the same just no one was able to confirm. A common upgrade for the VW/Audi community is to run Porsche 17z and 18z calipers.
daafisch is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-31-2012, 03:39 PM   #3

breakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,247 Times in 1,482 Posts
Groans: 261
Groaned at 20 Times in 20 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

lol I looked at this thread and almost thought I was the OP

breakfstincluded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to breakfstincluded For This Useful Post:
bryansawiseone (11-01-2012), EvoFire (11-03-2012), helmetface (11-01-2012), mazdaspeedemon3 (11-01-2012), Rainmens (11-03-2012), Tokay444 (10-31-2012)
 Old 11-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #4

Hapa88 is a splendid one to beholdHapa88 is a splendid one to beholdHapa88 is a splendid one to beholdHapa88 is a splendid one to beholdHapa88 is a splendid one to beholdHapa88 is a splendid one to beholdHapa88 is a splendid one to behold
Groans: 0
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah, looks like both calipers are made by ATE (same company that makes SuperBlue DOT4 fluid)
ATE Brakes -Original ATE brake calipers

Not sure if the dimensions and the carrier bracket is the same though.. Are the rotors the same size on the A4 as on the MS3?
2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 with Hypertech tune, BEGi intake, Racing Beat exhaust, eBay test pipe (formerly had SU), DDM 55w HID, 225/45/18 Hankook V12s on stock wheels (Street), 225/45/17 Federal 595RS-R on MX-5 17x7.5" wheels (Track) or 225/40/18 Nitto NT-01s on stock wheels (track set#2), Hawk HPS pads F&R(Street), Carbotech XP10 F (Track), GT3 brake deflectors (track), NGK LTR7IX-11
Hapa88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hapa88 For This Useful Post:
Chimmike (11-01-2012)
 Old 11-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
Will fuck up ur day

Chimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the world
Thanked 8,046 Times in 3,143 Posts
Groans: 433
Groaned at 224 Times in 138 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

How the hell can you say they're the "same" by peering at them while at a stoplight? Does that not sound a little asinine to you? Research and confirm next time before stating they're "the same" please.

Sent from my your mom's face on my junk
Turismo Vids - Store your car vids and pics here! Blog your builds too!
Click here for great deals at The RPM Store! PM me for pricing!
I hear that honkey at Protégé Garage is pretty decent too.
Chimmike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chimmike For This Useful Post:
NCZ13 (11-01-2012), Vansquish (11-01-2012)
 Old 11-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #6

NCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,214 Times in 538 Posts
Groans: 26
Groaned at 44 Times in 32 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I was under the impression we shared brakes with volvos. I even had my car on the lift at work and one of the techs who was an old volvo techs exclaimed that I had volvo brakes on my car.

2008 Cosmic Blue Mazdaspeed3
1986 Mazda RX7
2002.5 Sunlightsilver Protege5 (sold 12/26/09)

Hey you should read this: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...ler-you-58361/
NCZ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #7

pzr2874 is the leader of the worldpzr2874 is the leader of the worldpzr2874 is the leader of the worldpzr2874 is the leader of the worldpzr2874 is the leader of the worldpzr2874 is the leader of the worldpzr2874 is the leader of the worldpzr2874 is the leader of the worldpzr2874 is the leader of the worldpzr2874 is the leader of the worldpzr2874 is the leader of the world
Thanked 9,742 Times in 1,846 Posts
Groans: 146
Groaned at 151 Times in 111 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Our brakes are large enough. You would do better with better tires/pads/fluid
pzr2874 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #8

breakfasteatre is the leader of the worldbreakfasteatre is the leader of the worldbreakfasteatre is the leader of the worldbreakfasteatre is the leader of the worldbreakfasteatre is the leader of the worldbreakfasteatre is the leader of the worldbreakfasteatre is the leader of the worldbreakfasteatre is the leader of the worldbreakfasteatre is the leader of the worldbreakfasteatre is the leader of the worldbreakfasteatre is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by chimmike View Post
How the hell can you say they're the "same" by peering at them while at a stoplight? Does that not sound a little asinine to you? Research and confirm next time before stating they're "the same" please.

Sent from my your mom's face on my junk
uhhhh, the caliper is the same. Photos provided

Have you never worked on your brakes before? They are pretty distinctive with the pad clip

I also said that i wasnt interested in doing a big brake kit myself but i know others are, and this might open up some possibilities. If they are seriously interested in going bbk route, i dont see how finding out caliper mounting dimensions would be that difficult and determining if its a straight up bolt on

this isnt a brownie post, and you being a mod, i wouldnt have expected such a retard reply to something that is obviously not asinine
 Old 11-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #9

jm211 is the leader of the worldjm211 is the leader of the worldjm211 is the leader of the worldjm211 is the leader of the worldjm211 is the leader of the worldjm211 is the leader of the worldjm211 is the leader of the worldjm211 is the leader of the worldjm211 is the leader of the worldjm211 is the leader of the worldjm211 is the leader of the world
Groans: 52
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I recall a thread on this.

They are close but require modifications. we shall dig in the threads. I don't recall what forum though...
Cobb AP | Stratified Tune Stage 1 OTS | JBR Stage II Intake | cp-e 3'' Straight Exhaust | JBR RMM | SURE AGS 600 Gram Shift Knob | SURE Anchors | SURE Return | SURE SSP/Weight | All Redline Fluids | Shell T6 | Forge V1

ms6db.com I'm Registered. Are You?
jm211 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #10
Will fuck up ur day

Chimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the world
Thanked 8,046 Times in 3,143 Posts
Groans: 433
Groaned at 224 Times in 138 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Wanna know what calipers are the SAME?

Volvo S40.
Turismo Vids - Store your car vids and pics here! Blog your builds too!
Click here for great deals at The RPM Store! PM me for pricing!
I hear that honkey at Protégé Garage is pretty decent too.
Chimmike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chimmike For This Useful Post:
NCZ13 (11-01-2012)
 Old 11-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #11

dot584 is the leader of the worlddot584 is the leader of the worlddot584 is the leader of the worlddot584 is the leader of the worlddot584 is the leader of the worlddot584 is the leader of the worlddot584 is the leader of the worlddot584 is the leader of the worlddot584 is the leader of the worlddot584 is the leader of the worlddot584 is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

The evo ones require modification but I never saw a thread on Audi until now.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
 Old 11-01-2012, 03:43 PM   #12
Lex
Engineered Tuning

Lex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the world
Thanked 23,365 Times in 6,958 Posts
Groans: 13
Groaned at 44 Times in 38 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Lots of info on this. Search for brembo and there's lots of info. Yes we share calipers with quite a few VW, Volvo, Euro Focus ST cars ...

We Engineer, and that's better than just tuning!

www.stratifiedauto.com
COBB AP and VersaTuner Custom Tuning. Guardian Angel Protection and Boost Control.
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lex For This Useful Post:
daafisch (11-02-2012)
 Old 11-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #13
Eatin' Your Tuna

Haltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the world
Thanked 41,991 Times in 8,187 Posts
Groans: 244
Groaned at 329 Times in 243 Posts

Yes, we share a common brake setup. Mainly Volvo and Ford of Europe. Doesn't mean we have lower cost big brake kits options however. Every VAG part out there seems to carry a 25% price premium over our niche parts bucket.

Originally Posted by Mazda3Revolution
An intro thread on MSF is like your first day at a State Corrections facility. "Your gonna get tested".
MSF -The HARDCORE Of Mazda High Performance Tech!
Flex Limited Ecoboost - Not Stock

Gen1 MS3 - COBB FMIC V2.0 | COBB SRI | COBB AP Stage 2 W/MSF_V1.08y | COBB 3" Downpipe | COBB CBE | Devil's Own Stage 2 Meth Injection | AST 4300 Coilovers | Haltech Fuel Pump Internals | Rota Torque 18x8 w/ 235/40/18 | ACT 6 PUCK Sprung/Streetlite
Haltech is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-01-2012, 04:26 PM   #14

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

not so much lower cost, but better availability.
this has been squashed. Didnt want a bbk myself but though it was interesting
 Old 11-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #15
Lex
Engineered Tuning

Lex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the world
Thanked 23,365 Times in 6,958 Posts
Groans: 13
Groaned at 44 Times in 38 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Brembo 6pot on MS3

We Engineer, and that's better than just tuning!

www.stratifiedauto.com
COBB AP and VersaTuner Custom Tuning. Guardian Angel Protection and Boost Control.
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lex For This Useful Post:
daafisch (11-02-2012), Nliiitend1 (11-02-2012)
 Old 11-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #16

mtosofsky is the leader of the worldmtosofsky is the leader of the worldmtosofsky is the leader of the worldmtosofsky is the leader of the worldmtosofsky is the leader of the worldmtosofsky is the leader of the worldmtosofsky is the leader of the worldmtosofsky is the leader of the worldmtosofsky is the leader of the worldmtosofsky is the leader of the worldmtosofsky is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Not Ranked  0 score     

The calipers pictured are exactly like the calipers that were on the audi i had. Tyrolsport brake caliper stiffening kit

This was very popular amongst the audi/vw crowd for those that didn't want to fork over the money for a BBK. I had a kit on my audi and it was worlds better than the stock bushings and sliders. Pedal feel was very firm, responsive, and consistent. Paired with a great set of brake pads, it did the job several times over. Seems very likely that this would fit....Maybe.
mtosofsky is offline   Reply With Quote