register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Suspension & Brakes

Notices

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Suspension & Brakes Discussion for suspension items like coilovers, springs, sway bars, mounts,chassis bracing and brakes.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 01-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #1

MidwestSpeed3 has much to be proud ofMidwestSpeed3 has much to be proud ofMidwestSpeed3 has much to be proud ofMidwestSpeed3 has much to be proud ofMidwestSpeed3 has much to be proud ofMidwestSpeed3 has much to be proud ofMidwestSpeed3 has much to be proud ofMidwestSpeed3 has much to be proud ofMidwestSpeed3 has much to be proud ofMidwestSpeed3 has much to be proud of
Groans: 3
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Soft Brakes after Pad/Rotor Install?

I installed front Powerslot Slotted Rotors with HPS Performance Street Brake Pads yesterday. After driving, I feel like the pedal is much softer than before. I have to push the brakes in much further to come to a stop. Is this normal or is there something else I should check/replace?

Also, is there a trick to putting the caliper spring back on? I had a hell of a time putting it back on.

Thanks

Mods: Cobb Tuning Accessport Stage 1+, Cobb Tuning SF Intake, Cobb Tuning Inlet Pipe, Cobb Tuning Springs, Cobb Tuning STS, TRZ Rear Engine Mount, TRZ Transmission Mount (not currently installed), TVM Shifter Bushings, Forge BPV, MSD Dashhawk, 30% Tint
MidwestSpeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-06-2011, 02:56 PM   #2

jroc is the leader of the worldjroc is the leader of the worldjroc is the leader of the worldjroc is the leader of the worldjroc is the leader of the worldjroc is the leader of the worldjroc is the leader of the worldjroc is the leader of the worldjroc is the leader of the worldjroc is the leader of the worldjroc is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,104 Times in 498 Posts
Groans: 12
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Dumb question, but did you bleed the brakes?

NASA Time Trials/Time Attack, Global Time Attack

A miata may be gay, but its probably faster than your car around a track. That's pretty gay.
jroc is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #3

ScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,487 Times in 762 Posts
Groans: 97
Groaned at 31 Times in 25 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Dumber question, if you don't release the brake like from the caliper, you wouldn't need to bleed would you? I never have anyways. Make sure that the brake fluid reservoir cap is tight and the level is correct, could be that the pads need to be broken In a bit, bedded into the rotors I believe is the term, look up proper procedure
ScarMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ScarMS3 For This Useful Post:
2008speed3 (01-06-2011)
 Old 01-06-2011, 08:28 PM   #4

JNR5005 is the leader of the worldJNR5005 is the leader of the worldJNR5005 is the leader of the worldJNR5005 is the leader of the worldJNR5005 is the leader of the worldJNR5005 is the leader of the worldJNR5005 is the leader of the worldJNR5005 is the leader of the worldJNR5005 is the leader of the worldJNR5005 is the leader of the worldJNR5005 is the leader of the world
Groans: 22
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Its the P.O.S. HAWK HPS pads. They are just squishy like that. Trust me on this one. I've been through bleeding and re-bleeding so have many others on here. I plan on going back to stock pads asap. The hps stop well if you stomp the break, but there is nothing like the perfectly crisp feel of the stockers. If anyone knows where to get the stockers for cheap online lmk please.

2.206 ~ 13.330 @ 107.98 MPH (I & AP only, DSC ON)

Cobb SRI | Cobb AP (Stage 2+ v200) | OBX TP | Hankook Ventus V12 Evos | Hawk HPSoftpenis Pads | Duplicolor Black Stock Wheels | 15% Tint | SuperRiceLEDs 9500k | SURE RMM Race | TRZ TMM | JBR PMM 80a | JBR Shifter Bushings | Fidanza Flywheel | Koni Sport Shocks

JNR5005 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JNR5005 For This Useful Post:
kwsmithphoto (03-20-2011)
 Old 01-06-2011, 09:08 PM   #5

hnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the world
Thanked 11,054 Times in 1,308 Posts
Groans: 90
Groaned at 279 Times in 248 Posts
Neutral  +1 score     

Originally Posted by JNR5005 View Post
Its the P.O.S. HAWK HPS pads. They are just squishy like that. Trust me on this one. I've been through bleeding and re-bleeding so have many others on here. I plan on going back to stock pads asap. The hps stop well if you stomp the break, but there is nothing like the perfectly crisp feel of the stockers. If anyone knows where to get the stockers for cheap online lmk please.
I had the exact same setup for a year and it's not the hawk pads. The pads work great as their popularity can attest to.

The only characteristic of the hawk hps pad to be aware of, is that they require more pedal effort stopping, when they're cold - like first thing in the morning. Once warmed up, they stop on a dime.

I'm guessing it's as someone else mentioned, you haven't bedded in the brakes yet, or did it incorrectly.

Read the bedding in procedure on the hawk box and follow it to a "T"

Sent from my iPhone using lame ass Tapatalk

hnda etr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hnda etr For This Useful Post:
Nliiitend1 (01-08-2011)
 Old 01-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #6

JNR5005 is the leader of the worldJNR5005 is the leader of the worldJNR5005 is the leader of the worldJNR5005 is the leader of the worldJNR5005 is the leader of the worldJNR5005 is the leader of the worldJNR5005 is the leader of the worldJNR5005 is the leader of the worldJNR5005 is the leader of the worldJNR5005 is the leader of the worldJNR5005 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by hnda etr View Post
I had the exact same setup for a year and it's not the hawk pads. The pads work great as their popularity can attest to.

The only characteristic of the hawk hps pad to be aware of, is that they require more pedal effort stopping, when they're cold - like first thing in the morning. Once warmed up, they stop on a dime.

I'm guessing it's as someone else mentioned, you haven't bedded in the brakes yet, or did it incorrectly.

Read the bedding in procedure on the hawk box and follow it to a "T"

The "requirng more pedal effort" is his problem. AKA squishy pedal. OP; buy the $250 set of oem fronts, that will fix your problem instantly.

Cobb SRI | Cobb AP (Stage 2+ v200) | OBX TP | Hankook Ventus V12 Evos | Hawk HPSoftpenis Pads | Duplicolor Black Stock Wheels | 15% Tint | SuperRiceLEDs 9500k | SURE RMM Race | TRZ TMM | JBR PMM 80a | JBR Shifter Bushings | Fidanza Flywheel | Koni Sport Shocks

The Following User Says Thank You to JNR5005 For This Useful Post:
memin (03-15-2011)
 Old 01-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #7

hnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the world
Neutral  +1 score     

The "requirng more pedal effort" is his problem. AKA squishy pedal. OP; buy the $250 set of oem fronts, that will fix your problem instantly.
I'm betting he didn't follow the bedding in... more pedal effort does not equate to squishy pedal (like when there's air in the line)

The Following User Says Thank You to hnda etr For This Useful Post:
btstarcher (06-27-2012)
 Old 01-06-2011, 09:49 PM   #8

MidwestSpeed3 has much to be proud ofMidwestSpeed3 has much to be proud ofMidwestSpeed3 has much to be proud ofMidwestSpeed3 has much to be proud ofMidwestSpeed3 has much to be proud ofMidwestSpeed3 has much to be proud ofMidwestSpeed3 has much to be proud ofMidwestSpeed3 has much to be proud ofMidwestSpeed3 has much to be proud ofMidwestSpeed3 has much to be proud of
Groans: 3
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I did not bleed the brakes as it was my understanding that it was un-needed with just a pad/rotor install. I supported the caliper with a bucket, so there was no stress on the line. I followed the instructions on the pad box fairly closely, within the confines of the traffic that I was driving in.

It was rather cold here when testing (about 30 degrees F) so I am thinking that it just may be the pads warming up. It's not like they are not stopping. I am making 90-100 mile drive tomorrow, so I will get a better feel for them then. I don't think I will be buying new pads any time soon though. I will just wait until these wear out again and I'm sure I will get used to them eventually.

Mods: Cobb Tuning Accessport Stage 1+, Cobb Tuning SF Intake, Cobb Tuning Inlet Pipe, Cobb Tuning Springs, Cobb Tuning STS, TRZ Rear Engine Mount, TRZ Transmission Mount (not currently installed), TVM Shifter Bushings, Forge BPV, MSD Dashhawk, 30% Tint
MidwestSpeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-06-2011, 09:52 PM   #9

86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,537 Times in 1,777 Posts
Groans: 326
Groaned at 93 Times in 48 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

You cheaped out and thought aftermarket would be better is the problem. The hawks don't have the same bite and won't until they reach higher temps. The oem are much better, wider temperature range for optmal coeff of frction, and I've heard little issues with them fading. So if you want your pedal feel back go with the oems.
Tial QR BPV, SURE TIG's, ITV24's,
CP-E 75d RMM, Medefail Tranny mount, 18x8 245/40's
390whp/400wtq
12.82@114
86AmishMs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86AmishMs3 For This Useful Post:
kwsmithphoto (03-20-2011)
 Old 01-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #10

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by MidwestSpeed3 View Post
I did not bleed the brakes as it was my understanding that it was un-needed with just a pad/rotor install. I supported the caliper with a bucket, so there was no stress on the line. I followed the instructions on the pad box fairly closely, within the confines of the traffic that I was driving in.

It was rather cold here when testing (about 30 degrees F) so I am thinking that it just may be the pads warming up. It's not like they are not stopping. I am making 90-100 mile drive tomorrow, so I will get a better feel for them then. I don't think I will be buying new pads any time soon though. I will just wait until these wear out again and I'm sure I will get used to them eventually.
You're correct, no need to bleed if you didn't remove brake line from caliper...

The cold is definitely going to impact stopping effort - regardless of pad, but possibly more with the hawks...

another thing to consider, is getting stainless steel brake lines... This will also firm up your pedal...

Old 01-06-2011, 10:00 PM   #11

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by 86azms3 View Post
You cheaped out and thought aftermarket would be better is the problem. The hawks don't have the same bite and won't until they reach higher temps. The oem are much better, wider temperature range for optmal coeff of frction, and I've heard little issues with them fading. So if you want your pedal feel back go with the oems.
^this is true. HPS do last longer, and dust less, I will say that... but there is no initial bite, and I have had embarrassing noise problems and scary glazing/fading problems lol. I have been on HPS for a while now (2nd set of oems wore out and had these lying around still so I sucked it up), U can get used to it if you really try...but its just a crummy feeling IMO. It just feels more like a grand marquis brake pedal or somthing.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:44 AM   #12

NCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,183 Times in 526 Posts
Groans: 23
Groaned at 44 Times in 32 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i have ebc reds in and i hate the pedal feel. I miss the OE bite.

2008 Cosmic Blue Mazdaspeed3
1986 Mazda RX7
2002.5 Sunlightsilver Protege5 (sold 12/26/09)

Hey you should read this: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...ler-you-58361/
NCZ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #13

Design is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the world
Groans: 10
Groaned at 9 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

No there's definitely a difference between increased braking effort and a soft/squishy brake pedal. The latter usually surfaces when the lines/fluid overheat or there is unsufficient pressure in the lines. In the two MS3's I drove with HPS, the pedal "felt" the same but took increased braking force to stop the car. Not necessarily a bad thing but the progressive behavior is not for everyone (including me).

Ownership & Build Thread
Design is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #14

08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,303 Times in 1,039 Posts
Groans: 41
Groaned at 54 Times in 43 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I had my front rotor's turned and Hawk HPS installed and had the same issue with soft brakes and a slight grinding sound. Carried it back to the shop and they call the sound "chatter". Manager said they need to be fine turned or something along that line. Now the HPS grab like the stockers did at much less cost. I'm not sure what they did the 2nd time but it was like night and day, very happy now. They checked the rear and said I had plenty of pad left, so I did not change the rear.
GT3071R // FreekTuned // JBR 3" Intake // VCTS delete ported IM // Perm Plate Dual CC // Catless DP // Tokay V 1's // Autotech // DCR VVTA // TR8 FMIC // Forge V1 (red) // Stratified 3 Port EBCS // 3 Bar Map // JBR 88 RMM // JBR 70 PMM // JBR 70 TMM // // JBR TIG // Act 6 puck w/ prolite fly // Cobb RSB // 6 pc chassis braced // Koni FSD's // EGR Full delete // SWAS switch // CS SS brake lines // 245/45-16 RE-11’s on Konig Oversteer.
08cosmic3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-08-2011, 03:34 PM   #15

Nliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,508 Posts
Groans: 60
Groaned at 13 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

People like to rag on the HPS here but I've been using them for ~25K of the 38K miles that are on my car's odometer (I'm on my second front and first rear sets of HPS pads) and to me, they're about perfect for a DD and they perform pretty admirably on track (with good fresh fluid) during the occasional track day, especially considering their cost (the low dust is just a bonus, as far as I'm concerned).

Yes, they give up a bit of initial bite compared to OEM pads, but I really don't believe they give up anything in the areas of longevity, heat resistance, or stopping power. As much as I use my brakes (and as often as I replace them, in kind), I've come to be pretty satisfied with their less-than-OEM price tag and relatively low dust production.

Just wanted to throw out my $.02...

Nliiitend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-15-2011, 11:25 AM   #16

Design is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Curious, for those doing their own pads/rotors, how many of you are opening the bleeder screw before pushing the caliper piston back into the housing? Seems this could be a $1600 issue if fluid gets pushed back into the ABS control valve.

Ownership & Build Thread
 Old 03-15-2011, 11:39 AM   #17

Ziggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the world
Thanked 9,383 Times in 2,499 Posts
Groans: 6
Groaned at 16 Times in 15 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Design View Post
Curious, for those doing their own pads/rotors, how many of you are opening the bleeder screw before pushing the caliper piston back into the housing? Seems this could be a $1600 issue if fluid gets pushed back into the ABS control valve.
I never do. Though it wouldn't hurt, whenever I am swapping pads I am usually putting fresh fluid in.
BC Coilovers (-2.5º F, -1º R) \ Saitek Front Endlinks \ SPC Rear Camber Arms \ Hotchkis FSB & RSB
JBR 88 Duro RMM TMM PMM \ COBB AP (Self Tuned) \ EGT \ Oil Pres \ Oil Temp \ DashHawk
Ziggo is online now   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-15-2011, 11:47 AM   #18

zer010gic has a reputation beyond reputezer010gic has a reputation beyond reputezer010gic has a reputation beyond reputezer010gic has a reputation beyond reputezer010gic has a reputation beyond reputezer010gic has a reputation beyond reputezer010gic has a reputation beyond reputezer010gic has a reputation beyond reputezer010gic has a reputation beyond reputezer010gic has a reputation beyond reputezer010gic has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah even my OEM Pads had to be bedded in. When I got my car back from the dealer they felt a little soft after a brake job but after a few days they where fine.
Corksport SRI | Corksport TIP | JBR RMM | JBR TMM | JBR PMM | JBR Short Shift Plate | Fidanza Flywheel | RedLine Goods Shiftboot | TWM Weighted Shift Knob | Hawk HPS 5.0 Pads | Techna-Fit Brake Lines | RedLine Fluids | ITV22 Plugs

Originally Posted by Dash08 View Post
Dude, you have a 2.3 MZR DISI motor.

Worry isn't even a mod, it comes factory installed.
Understeer is hitting the wall with your front end.
Oversteer is hitting the wall with your back end.
Horsepower is how fast you can hit the wall.
Torque is how far you can push that wall after you hit it.
zer010gic is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-15-2011, 03:59 PM   #19

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Ziggo View Post
I never do. Though it wouldn't hurt, whenever I am swapping pads I am usually putting fresh fluid in.
I am new to ABS so I am not sure if a failed control valve would cause a mushy pedal. But it's been a hot topic across misc forums where users complain of soft brakes. The article below summarizes the point I'm trying to make:
http://www.cardone.com/english/club/...%2012-0001.pdf

Ownership & Build Thread
 Old 03-15-2011, 04:56 PM   #20

chuckms6 is the leader of the worldchuckms6 is the leader of the worldchuckms6 is the leader of the worldchuckms6 is the leader of the worldchuckms6 is the leader of the worldchuckms6 is the leader of the worldchuckms6 is the leader of the worldchuckms6 is the leader of the worldchuckms6 is the leader of the worldchuckms6 is the leader of the worldchuckms6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,529 Times in 668 Posts
Groans: 14
Groaned at 17 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

hey OP check how you put that spring back in. if you put it in wrong it will give the caliper resistance causing a squishy pedal feeling
chuckms6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-15-2011, 08:46 PM   #21

Nliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,508 Posts
Groans: 60
Groaned at 13 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Design View Post
I've always just opened the reservoir cap when pushing the pistons back in. I don't fuck around with the bleeders screws unless I'm going to be bleeding the brakes.

I've also never experienced the "mushy pedal" phenomenon, and I've changed my front brake pads twice and my rear pads once.

Nliiitend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-16-2011, 06:13 PM   #22

Not Ranked  0 score     

Everyone I know here locally does the same. But my pedal travels downward a little further than I'd like after the OEM pad/rotor install. I opened the reservoir cap and haven't uncorked the lines so I'm confident it's not air in the system. Still holding pressure at the pedal so I don't think it's the master cylinder either. Caliper springs look and feel fine.

I noticed the same feel during FFF's test drive. Probably going to have a pro take a look and will report back.

Ownership & Build Thread