register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Suspension & Brakes

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Suspension & Brakes Discussion for suspension items like coilovers, springs, sway bars, mounts,chassis bracing and brakes.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 01-28-2019, 06:22 AM   #1

GohanX is a glorious beacon of lightGohanX is a glorious beacon of lightGohanX is a glorious beacon of lightGohanX is a glorious beacon of lightGohanX is a glorious beacon of lightGohanX is a glorious beacon of light
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Speed 6 suspension recommendations

I've had the Speed since July, and after getting a few mechanical things sorted I'm ready to move onto suspension. I'm not 100% sure what's on the car now, but it's lowered quite a bit and that's not working for me. I think it's on stock shocks (or a stockish replacement) on either some kind of lowering spring or cut stock springs. The car feels pretty good and the shocks aren't worn, but I'm so low to the ground my front keeps scraping, and when I put other adults in the car I'm riding on the bumpstops and it's horrible. The other adults are a bit on the heavy side, which doesn't help.

So basically, unlike most people, I actually want to raise this thing up. This is my daily driver/kid hauler, and although I might see an autocross once in a blue moon I don't need the car race prepped in any way. So I'm thinking about one of two setups:

Stock springs on Bilstien B6's. This should give me a stock height with some firmer shocks, which would probably help when I'm fully loaded. Hopefully this won't put me too high, I don't really care about it looking like a 4x4 but I'm not a fan of body roll, hopefully the shocks are stiff enough to counteract. Also, if I ever did autocross this would allow me to stay in the stock class, although I'm much more likely to take the Miata if I ever put it back together. The only real drawback on this is that the stock springs are really expensive new, and most used ones have had a ton of wear on them at this point.

Corksport springs on Bilstein B8's. This should still raise me up a bit over my current height, but I worry than the B8s may be too harsh for my passengers and that I might still run into clearance issues in the front. However it would likely perform better than the stockish setup and be quite a bit cheaper to boot.

So what do you guys say? Any other suggestions? I've read pretty much every suspension thread I could find on the forum already, which is why I've narrowed it down a bit.
GohanX is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-29-2019, 06:03 AM   #2

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 23
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I planned on doing the Corksport spring with upgraded shocks, but have since changed my mind and want to do adjustable coilovers.

During my daily driving, I would have it raised for a more streetable height when loaded with passengers.
On trips to the Dragon, I can drop it down.

I haven't decided yet on exactly what parts I want/need to achieve my plan.
Versatuner, 3-bar MAP, ITV22, CP-e TMIC
CS Turbo/DP/RP/HPFP/BPV/R-DiffMount
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Rear Russian Bushings, Poly FSB Bushings
Magnaflow CBE, ACT 6-puck/Streetlite
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/OCC/PCV Plate
Other rides:
2014 F-150 XLT SuperCrew Ecoboost
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (13.467 @ 105.44)
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-30-2019, 07:17 AM   #3

GohanX is a glorious beacon of lightGohanX is a glorious beacon of lightGohanX is a glorious beacon of lightGohanX is a glorious beacon of lightGohanX is a glorious beacon of lightGohanX is a glorious beacon of light
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

My experience with adjustable suspension (you could adjust the firmness on my Miata, but not height) is that I'm far too lazy to actually do any adjustments most of the time

I will warn you though, getting used to the street suspension and then beefing it up for a Dragon trip when you're not used to how it handles yet can be disastrous. Found that one out the hard way and a mountain hit me!
 Old 01-30-2019, 11:20 AM   #4

Thor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the world
Groans: 211
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'd opt for stock springs used on Ebay. I don't think they would be that fatigued. Also check out the mazdaspeed FB groups. Lots of MS6's getting parted out and you will get a much better deal.

Since you may auto-x the car get yourself a Whiteline rear sway bar and replace all your suspension bushings with urethane ones from the Russian guy.
2007 MS6- H&R Coilovers/ C-PE Catted DP/Corksport HPFP Internals/ AEM CAI/ ETS TMIC/ CPE Austenite Dual CBE/ CPE TIH/ Synapse Synchronic/ Freektuned/ AP Short Shifter/ AWR RMM and OEM TMM with CS Inserts/ Southbend Stage 2 Endurance/Stop Tech Slotted Rear and DBA T3 4000 Series Front with EBC Reds/CPE xFlex Rear Diff Mount/ Whiteline Rear Sway Bar/DSS Level 2.9 Rear Axles
Thor Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thor Hammer For This Useful Post:
GohanX (01-30-2019)
 Old 01-30-2019, 01:41 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

That's some good advice Thor. When I checked eBay a few months ago they had very little in OEM springs, but there's a lot more up now at reasonable prices. Hell, it looks like I can get a full used stock suspension setup for $200, although I'm not sure if any of it would really be usable beyond the springs and the miscellaneous bolts.
 Old 01-31-2019, 12:12 AM   #6

Terrors003 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

+1 for going back to stock. If you want stock ride height that is.
Terrors003 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-31-2019, 07:54 AM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I went ahead and ordered the stock suspension I found on ebay. If the shocks and struts are still good I may just use those and hold off on the Bilsteins till later when I get the upgrade bug to keep me from having to spend a ton of cash right now since I just had to unexpectedly get a set of tires. The struts shocks and springs look to be in really good shape, but I'll need to get new mounts for the fronts and probably some new bumpstops and boots. If the shocks are shot and need replacement then the total cost is still well lower than either the Corksport or Mazda springs.

With that settled, bushings and the sway bar will be next.
The Following User Says Thank You to GohanX For This Useful Post:
Thor Hammer (01-31-2019)