register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Suspension & Brakes

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Suspension & Brakes Discussion for suspension items like coilovers, springs, sway bars, mounts,chassis bracing and brakes.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 02-05-2011, 02:26 PM   #1

asiandude74 is the leader of the worldasiandude74 is the leader of the worldasiandude74 is the leader of the worldasiandude74 is the leader of the worldasiandude74 is the leader of the worldasiandude74 is the leader of the worldasiandude74 is the leader of the worldasiandude74 is the leader of the worldasiandude74 is the leader of the worldasiandude74 is the leader of the worldasiandude74 is the leader of the world
Groans: 21
Groaned at 23 Times in 22 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Suspension Techniques Coilovers?

I was set on getting KW variant 1 coilovers but I found these ST coilovers and was wondering if anyone has them? And if they are any good?

They say their basically KW variant 1's but different materials or something for a cheaper price.

edit: heres the link to the coilovers http://www.stsuspensions.com/coilovers.php

Last edited by asiandude74; 02-05-2011 at 06:25 PM.
asiandude74 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-05-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
The Kamikaze King!

FreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,286 Times in 1,253 Posts
Groans: 754
Groaned at 128 Times in 100 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Interesting.
Looks like you can get them for $891 http://www.ultrarev.com/90706-st-p9.html

Basically V1s without the stainless and shorter warranty.

The one big difference I see is the ST coils have a common part number between the speed 3 and Mazda 3
The KW's have different part numbers for the MZ3 and MS3.

For that reason alone I would be tempted to go KW v1 over the ST product.
The coils have little enough free travel as it is without having them under sprung.

Unless you can confirm the spring rate of the ST vs the KW MS3 and MZ3 products to your satisfaction.

If price is an issue. PM all MSF vendors for a price on the KW's, my guess is they wont be much more than the discount ST brand

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/FreeFlyFreak/speed-3

Suspension:
OEM --> FSD 4040 --> FSD 4040 with cut stops --> MS Coils --> FSD 4045's --> FSD4045 with cut stops --> Bilstein Sports

Yes, that is me in the avatar.
FreeFlyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FreeFlyFreak For This Useful Post:
asiandude74 (02-05-2011), Nliiitend1 (02-06-2011)
 Old 02-05-2011, 10:16 PM   #3

Design is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,030 Times in 622 Posts
Groans: 10
Groaned at 9 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I wouldn't do ST for reasons mentioned above. MS3 nose is 150 lbs heavier with an extra 3-5 lbs of unsprung weight per corner. Stick with V1's.

Ownership & Build Thread
Design is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Design For This Useful Post:
asiandude74 (02-05-2011), FreeFlyFreak (02-05-2011), Nliiitend1 (02-06-2011)
 Old 02-05-2011, 10:18 PM   #4

asiandude74 is the leader of the worldasiandude74 is the leader of the worldasiandude74 is the leader of the worldasiandude74 is the leader of the worldasiandude74 is the leader of the worldasiandude74 is the leader of the worldasiandude74 is the leader of the worldasiandude74 is the leader of the worldasiandude74 is the leader of the worldasiandude74 is the leader of the worldasiandude74 is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Design View Post
I wouldn't do ST for reasons mentioned above. MS3 nose is 150 lbs heavier with an extra 3-5 lbs of unsprung weight per corner. Stick with V1's.
Yeah i agree. Just trying to find the spring rates for the STs vs. the KWs. Cant seem to find them anywhere!
 Old 02-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #5
The Kamikaze King!

FreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,286 Times in 1,253 Posts
Groans: 754
Groaned at 128 Times in 100 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Call KW.

I'll tell you this, dont buy any coils sprung less than MS coils for the MS3

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/FreeFlyFreak/speed-3

Suspension:
OEM --> FSD 4040 --> FSD 4040 with cut stops --> MS Coils --> FSD 4045's --> FSD4045 with cut stops --> Bilstein Sports

Yes, that is me in the avatar.
FreeFlyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by FreeFlyFreak View Post
Call KW.

I'll tell you this, dont buy any coils sprung less than MS coils for the MS3
I found the kw spring rates: mazda3=Fronts 340 Rear progressive
Speed3=Fronts 400 Rear progressive

What are the spring rates for the ms coils?

edit:found the ST spring rates which are Fronts 345 and Rear progressive.

So that throws ST out the window. Gotta find me some KW V1s now.

Last edited by asiandude74; 02-05-2011 at 10:41 PM.
 Old 02-05-2011, 11:15 PM   #7

Design is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,030 Times in 622 Posts
Groans: 10
Groaned at 9 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

You really shouldn't have to. These are made specifically for the MZ3 not the MS3. That tells me they are the same rate as the V1's for the MZ3 (340F and 290R IRRC).

EDIT: Treed.

Ownership & Build Thread
Design is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f12/suspension-techniques-coilovers-71593/
Posted By For Type Date
Mazdaspeed 3 2008.5 Coilover kit - Mazda 3 Quebec This thread Refback 03-20-2012 03:32 PM