register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
CX7FORUMS.ORG - 2007+ Mazda CX-7 Forums
> CX-7 > Turbo Induction & ECU Tuning

CX-7 > Turbo Induction & ECU Tuning Have an ECU tuning issue? Do you want to discuss Mazdaspeed 3 tuning solutions? Up to date info on the latest! Piasini Reflash, Cobb Access Port, Xede, Procede, Standback, Superchips & others supported here!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree114Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 06-09-2018, 05:20 PM   #521

torquemaniac is the leader of the worldtorquemaniac is the leader of the worldtorquemaniac is the leader of the worldtorquemaniac is the leader of the worldtorquemaniac is the leader of the worldtorquemaniac is the leader of the worldtorquemaniac is the leader of the worldtorquemaniac is the leader of the worldtorquemaniac is the leader of the worldtorquemaniac is the leader of the worldtorquemaniac is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by zorcain View Post
Hi i am new to the mazda community and am about to take ownership of a 2007 cx-7 ... my first mazda... it has 142,000 mi btw... i have just finished reading the entire big turbo thread you have and i have also read your valve body mod fourm as well i am very impressed with your work... it is amazing... i am messing you tho mainly for 1 question until i begin my project and then will probably have others lol.... buy before i begin my builds i usually like to know how far i can go... my main question is with this exact vehicle what can the trans handle.... i will be upgrading or purchasing a upgraded valve body... how reliable has your transmission been... how hard on it are you on a regular basis.... and do you have any dyno numbers that you are making so i can tell reliability...how long you have been running trans at that #'s without any issues.... any help is appreciated... thank you.... i have dug into it but i cant find hard numbers of max hp/tq before breaking or built high numbers for a consistent amount of time with dyno to show what they held for such amount of time before breaking of showing issues of slippage and such.... my goal isnt full blown racer maxed out but i would like to be in the 350-400 hp range daily... i have tools parts and exp to do this quickly but i dont want to kill the trans... have a tight budget and having to replace the trans at an unexpected time will be very difficult + possible put me in a bad position...
thank you again and again love the work you have done.

Hi Zorcain,

The trans can handle the abuse I can tell you, but it need some modding

The drawback of modding the trans is that you will have to use the manual shifting mode all the time

I tried to get some HP/TQ numbers from Virtual Dyno, but the program is not compatible with automatic trans (the torque converter mess up the engine RPM data and render the calculation useless...you will get very high number at the start of the pull, and very low number at the end of the pull)

I am presently running 32psi boost (around 450 gram/sec airflow) with a hybrid boost control setup, and the boost response is very aggressive, yet the trans does the job perfectly

Note however that I had to adjust the clutch control valves many times to get at the right shift firmness (the TCM adapts to the adjustment of the clutch control valves to try and keep the shift like OEM...you need access ports on the trans cover to be able to adjust the clutch control valves everytime the TCM adapts...at one point you will reach the limit of the TCM adaptability and the shift firmness will remain...at that point you will no longer be able to use the automatic mode)

I also fabricated a main pressure control valve with an oversized boost valve to get more line pressure at WOT (I will show you pics and drawing of this valve if you need it)

A trans cooler is also very important...I fitted a Derale remote cooler at the back (at the stock muffler location) to keep the trans cool and for the added ATF (the cooler is set at 180F and it regularly engage)

You will also need to delete the TCS fuse, otherwise the ECU will close the throttle everytime the tires slip

There is also the possibility for some kind of launch control with this car...I recently found out that the ECU uses the Overload ignition timing tables when Brake torquing/boosting...right now I can consistently get 15psi boost in 4 sec with the accelerator pedal to the floor with the brake not failing
Ozynigma likes this.
Ported Holset HY35 // Custom top mount EM // Tial MV-S 38mm // Custom DP and catback // L2A intercooler // 3-port EBCS // 3.25 Blow-thru MAF // Aquamist HFS-4 v.2 direct port injection // Eagle rods // Forge BPV v.2 // Crankcase evac system // Autotech HPFP // Custom RMM insert // TB coolant bypass // Full EGR delete // 3.5 bar MAP // Launch control with anti-lag // Derale remote transmission cooler // Upgraded transmission boost valve // Shimmed transmission accumulators // Adjusted transmission clutch control valve // Digital overboost protection system // Custom firewall heatshield // JKS rear spoiler // Painted VC and IM // BSD // Custom vent pod with boost and meth gauge // Tuned with Versatuner

Coming soon : Composite ram-air intake // Hood with heat extraction vent

"When the turbo spins the bull$hit ends" BOOST the replacement for displacement
torquemaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to torquemaniac For This Useful Post:
chris323 (06-18-2018)
 Old 06-09-2018, 05:59 PM   #522

Ozynigma is the leader of the worldOzynigma is the leader of the worldOzynigma is the leader of the worldOzynigma is the leader of the worldOzynigma is the leader of the worldOzynigma is the leader of the worldOzynigma is the leader of the worldOzynigma is the leader of the worldOzynigma is the leader of the worldOzynigma is the leader of the worldOzynigma is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by torquemaniac View Post
Hi Zorcain,

The trans can handle the abuse I can tell you, but it need some modding

The drawback of modding the trans is that you will have to use the manual shifting mode all the time
Wow, still pushing the envelope.

You must be maxing out the stock fuel system and relying on your WMI at 450g/sec airflow. I was only hitting around 300g/sec with my previous setup.

Are you running 50:50 WMI or 100% methanol?

I have used your initial valve body settings and mine is still auto shifting with the stock turbo and shifting better than standard.
2007 CX7 2.3 DISI AWD | Forged Build | Mahle Pistons | Molnar Rods | APR studs | Corksport Turbo @25psi | ETS TMIC | Cobb XLE BOV | CS HPFP | JBR 3.5" WPI | Cooling Mist WMI | CS OCC | CX9 20x7.5's | CX9 Brakes | Pedders Lowered 40mm | VersaTuned by Stratified
Ozynigma is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-10-2018, 07:39 AM   #523

torquemaniac is the leader of the worldtorquemaniac is the leader of the worldtorquemaniac is the leader of the worldtorquemaniac is the leader of the worldtorquemaniac is the leader of the worldtorquemaniac is the leader of the worldtorquemaniac is the leader of the worldtorquemaniac is the leader of the worldtorquemaniac is the leader of the worldtorquemaniac is the leader of the worldtorquemaniac is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Ozynigma View Post
Wow, still pushing the envelope.

You must be maxing out the stock fuel system and relying on your WMI at 450g/sec airflow. I was only hitting around 300g/sec with my previous setup.

Are you running 50:50 WMI or 100% methanol?

I have used your initial valve body settings and mine is still auto shifting with the stock turbo and shifting better than standard.
Yes...still pushing the envelope

Im running a little more than 1000cc/min of 100% meth

Glad to hear the initial valve body mods are doing great for your conservative setup

You should tell Mituc to stop messing around and give you more boost

While im here, I will give some update of the big turbo project

First I have to tell that the BMW air oil separator is not that great a product...you cant ask a lot from a 25$ parts...i was getting oil in the intake at 32psi and oil in the engine bay when going VTA

I temporarily routed the air oil separator outlet under the car for a while, but just bought a Perrin air oil separator (costed an arm and a leg)...the AOS (air oil separator) as coolant ports to prevent it from freezing in winter

Thats the AOS in question : https://www.perrin.com/shop/engine/air-oil-separator

I also bought this PCV plate : https://www.topspeedparts.com/produc...lock-off-plate

I will mod the valve cover breather so it less restrictive and plug it on the AOS

A hose coming from the PCV plate will also be routed to the AOS

The outlet of the AOS will got to the intake

I will delete the oil cap breather...will put back the OEM oil cap

The only problem with this setup is that the Forge BPV is VTA, so in vacuum the BPV will be venting some crankcase vapor in the engine bay...so it will smell when not moving....I will need the weld a port on the intake so the BPV can be used in recirculation mode (no venting of crankcase in the engine bay)

I recently changed my crappy Toyota injector seals for the Corksport seal (2 of the Toyota seals failed real bad)

I changed the Bosch intercooler pump for a Mercedes AMG CWA100 pump...had to wire a PWM controller to have the pump run at 100%

I didnt like the boost response with the 8psi wastegate setup (everytime I tried a stronger spring setup in the wastegate I got insane boost level with minimum BCS DC), so plugged in my good old Perrin MBC, and use a MAC solenoid plugged with the meth injection controller as a failsafe to get spring pressure (8psi) in case of failure of the meth injection system (the Aquamist HFS4 has a very nice failsafe setup)

With the MBC I get a very aggressive boost response...just the way I like it

Not sure I mentioned this before in the thread, but I placed a Derale remote transmission cooler at the position of the stock muffler...the cooler does a great job and prevent the transmission from overheating (I use to get transmission slipping and retarded shift when doing long pull, but no more)

I will post some pics later of the mods...
Jeff23spl likes this.
Ported Holset HY35 // Custom top mount EM // Tial MV-S 38mm // Custom DP and catback // L2A intercooler // 3-port EBCS // 3.25 Blow-thru MAF // Aquamist HFS-4 v.2 direct port injection // Eagle rods // Forge BPV v.2 // Crankcase evac system // Autotech HPFP // Custom RMM insert // TB coolant bypass // Full EGR delete // 3.5 bar MAP // Launch control with anti-lag // Derale remote transmission cooler // Upgraded transmission boost valve // Shimmed transmission accumulators // Adjusted transmission clutch control valve // Digital overboost protection system // Custom firewall heatshield // JKS rear spoiler // Painted VC and IM // BSD // Custom vent pod with boost and meth gauge // Tuned with Versatuner

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to torquemaniac For This Useful Post:
chris323 (06-18-2018), Code Monkey (06-10-2018)
 Old 06-10-2018, 09:47 AM   #524

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Pics of the failed injectors seals, insulated intercooler, manifold #2 (the first manifold was made from gage 11 stainless steel mandrel bends...lets say that mandrel bends are not good for a manifold, and that stainless expands too much with heat...the new manifold is made from schedule 40 steel ells) and finally the new sets of wheels (Nexen Rodian HP 265/45R20 on RTX Envy 20X9.5 ET40)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg injector seals1.jpg (125.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg injector seals2.jpg (93.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg injector seals3.jpg (94.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg injector seals4.jpg (103.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg injector seals5.jpg (76.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg injector seals6.jpg (50.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg injectors seals7.jpg (39.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg injector seals8.jpg (74.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg intercooler1.jpg (101.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg intercooler2.jpg (96.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg manifold1.jpg (88.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg manifold2.jpg (98.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg manifold3.jpg (56.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg manifold4.jpg (242.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg wheels1.jpg (198.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg wheeels2.jpg (193.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg wheeels3.jpg (158.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg wheels 4.jpg (424.2 KB, 6 views)
Jeff23spl likes this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to torquemaniac For This Useful Post:
chris323 (06-18-2018), Code Monkey (06-10-2018)

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f123/big-turbo-build-cx-7-p-168742/
Posted By For Type Date
MS3 50,000km sans OCC... This thread Refback 07-19-2015 03:41 PM
Big turbo cx-7 This thread Refback 06-04-2015 01:18 AM
Tuning Mazda cx-7 - Page 2 This thread Refback 04-20-2015 12:05 AM
Cx 7 moteur et turbo scrap This thread Refback 04-09-2015 02:50 PM
Cx-7 vs cx-9 This thread Refback 04-05-2015 10:52 AM
Hose Intercooler This thread Refback 04-04-2015 05:45 PM
Project Q - Another modder's thread - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum This thread Refback 11-17-2014 12:58 AM
HFS3 install on Mazda CX-7 (2.3T) - waterinjection.info This thread Refback 07-01-2014 12:22 AM