register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
CX7FORUMS.ORG - 2007+ Mazda CX-7 Forums
> CX-7 > Turbo Induction & ECU Tuning

CX-7 > Turbo Induction & ECU Tuning Have an ECU tuning issue? Do you want to discuss Mazdaspeed 3 tuning solutions? Up to date info on the latest! Piasini Reflash, Cobb Access Port, Xede, Procede, Standback, Superchips & others supported here!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MSMS3

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 05-16-2019, 05:22 PM   #1

Dropen will become famous soon enoughDropen will become famous soon enough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Problem after changing Turbo

Hi,

I had to change my old CX-7 turbo because it was wasting oil to the combustion chamber, so i bought a new K04-882 model (I know thats not the stock model for the car).
All the parts fits very well, but i have a problem in high RPM, when i go around ~2000RPM it works fine, but if i pushed a bit more the error code P300 appears.
This suppose to happen? or theres any other problem that i probably have in my car? Anyone tryed this before and had some issues as me?

After changing the turbo i replace:
- Coils
- Injectors
- Cleaned and measured spark plugs (ok)

I have the versatune Base 93/98 Octane installed in my car.

Greetings.
Dropen is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-16-2019, 05:56 PM   #2

Db09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 75
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Turbos are different between the 3/6 speeds and cx7. Contact your tuner with this info.
 Old 05-16-2019, 06:02 PM   #3

SSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,559 Times in 1,685 Posts
Groans: 55
Groaned at 17 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

If the plugs aren't really low miles I'd replace them just to be sure.
Fully Built : Arias Pistons: Pauter Rods : ARP bolts: Ported Head: Cosworth BSD : Spec 3+ Clutch : Fidanza Flywheel : AWR Engine mounts 90duro : Custom TIP/Intake : Custom Blow Through 3.5" MAF : Custom FMIC : HKS SSQV VTA : Ported IM : Custom DP : Custom Exhaust : CPBoost Top Mount EM : Garrett GT3582R : PTP Turbo Blanket: Tial V44 EWG : Perrin EBCS : MrLilGuy/PTP HPFP : Ported fuel line : Ported Fuel Rail : Custom Ported Fuel Injectors : Kenny Bell Boost-a-Pump : HKS Twin Power DLI II : HKS M-Series Plugs : Cobb AP : AEM 3.5bar MAP :Koni Sport shocks : RPM Kspec Springs : TWM STS : TT Front Diff Mount : CPE Upper Diff Mount : Whiteline RSB : AWR Endlinks

Soon to be installed:
ST manifold w/ port injection : Raduim Engineering PCV Plate : Radium Engineering PCV valve : Radium Engineering Fuel filter : Aeromotive FPR : DCR VVT : TI Automotive F90000274 Fuel Pump : NX 15718 : Split Second AIC

SSinstaller is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-17-2019, 06:12 AM   #4

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,814 Times in 972 Posts
Groans: 138
Groaned at 46 Times in 30 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Dropen View Post
Hi,

I had to change my old CX-7 turbo because it was wasting oil to the combustion chamber, so i bought a new K04-882 model (I know thats not the stock model for the car).
All the parts fits very well, but i have a problem in high RPM, when i go around ~2000RPM it works fine, but if i pushed a bit more the error code P300 appears.
This suppose to happen? or theres any other problem that i probably have in my car? Anyone tryed this before and had some issues as me?

After changing the turbo i replace:
- Coils
- Injectors
- Cleaned and measured spark plugs (ok)

I have the versatune Base 93/98 Octane installed in my car.

Greetings.
If those are Iridium plugs, the fine wire is easily damaged by “cleaning.” It is a thin coating, easily scraped off by any abrasive. Also, easily damaged by regapping if you scrape against that wire tip. They may need to be replaced.

Gap should be pretty tight for that turbo and tune. .028” would be a good choice.

Sunlight Silver '08 MS3 GT Mods: (Sold 1/25/2019 after 10 years of ownership)
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-17-2019, 07:54 AM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by MSMS3 View Post
If those are Iridium plugs, the fine wire is easily damaged by
Gap should be pretty tight for that turbo and tune. .028” would be a good choice.
What do you mean?
 Old 05-17-2019, 08:01 AM   #6
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,889 Times in 2,713 Posts
Groans: 1,854
Groaned at 45 Times in 26 Posts

If you are using iridium spark plugs (ITV22/ITV20/NGK6510/etc.) then you need to be careful about cleaning or changing the gap in the plugs, as the iridium coated wire is fragile.

Furthermore, according to Mazda's published specifications from 2010, the plug gap should be between 0.024" and 0.027" (0.61mm - 0.68mm) for this motor.

Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-17-2019, 09:11 AM   #7

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Vansquish View Post
Furthermore, according to Mazda's published specifications from 2010, the plug gap should be between 0.024" and 0.027" (0.61mm - 0.68mm) for this motor.
Was it specified larger previously ? I had in mind Mazda specified larger and sometimes it was too much?

I know at 0.040 it doesn't work at all, it missfire before 10psi....

OP. Have you checked engine compression as missfire may not comes from spark but from low compression also. I ask because the turbo could leak oil but it could also be the result of too much engine blow by...

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-17-2019, 09:20 AM   #8
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,889 Times in 2,713 Posts
Groans: 1,854
Groaned at 45 Times in 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff23spl View Post
Was it specified larger previously ? I had in mind Mazda specified larger and sometimes it was too much?

I know at 0.040 it doesn't work at all, it missfire before 10psi....

OP. Have you checked engine compression as missfire may not comes from spark but from low compression also. I ask because the turbo could leak oil but it could also be the result of too much engine blow by...
Yes. The superceded range went up to 0.032", if memory serves .

Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-17-2019, 10:36 AM   #9

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

What do you mean?
See subsequent response from Vanquish. Mazda OEM plugs have an iridium plating on the center electrode. That is an alloy that is extremely resistant to heat, but is easily damaged if scraped. This is the preferred type plug due to the high heat generated in the combustion chamber of our cars. Platinum does not handle heat quite as well.

Generally speaking, you do not even try to "clean" such plugs, but rather replace them when needed because of the risk of damage. You can gap or regap them, but must be very careful to avoid contacting the fine wire in the center except with something like a wire type gapping tool or feeler gauge. Avoid using the coin type that will scrape against the tip of that wire.

Yes, .028" is probably on the outside of the preferred range but works ok for stock. Closing to .026" will be better. I forgot that.

My guess is that new plugs are in order. NGK iridium in the stock heat range would be a good choice. NGK iridium plugs are OEM, but you can save a little by getting them from antermarket vendors. Their aftermarket part number would be NGK ILTR6A-8G. The part number on the box is 3787.

BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
 Old 05-17-2019, 11:15 AM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I will check the spark plugs, but they worked fine after changing the turbo (with the old smoky turbo).
If the problem stills, what do you recomend? tunning the car for the turbo's new properties?
 Old 05-17-2019, 04:02 PM   #11

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 21
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I will check the spark plugs, but they worked fine after changing the turbo (with the old smoky turbo).
Wait, you said you got P0300 after changing turbo, now you're saying it ran fine after changing the turbo. I'm confused.

Also, misfire codes from low compression will happen at idle and will seem to run fine above idle...especially in boost. Ask me how I know.

Since you probably had a good portion of stuff removed, check all electrical connections.
Versatuner, 3-bar MAP, ITV22, CP-e TMIC
CS Turbo/DP/RP/HPFP/BPV/R-DiffMount
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Rear Russian Bushings, Poly FSB Bushings
Magnaflow CBE, ACT 6-puck/Streetlite
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/OCC/PCV Plate
Other rides:
2014 F-150 XLT SuperCrew Ecoboost
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (13.467 @ 105.44)
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/redirect-to/?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fcse.google.com%2Fcse%3Fcx%3 D007197676933930921148%3Apwlh1e31oxu%23gsc.tab%3D0
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-17-2019, 04:34 PM   #12

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sry, bad translation...
I mean that i "cleaned" the spark plugs before changing the turbo, like 600kms ago and it didnt show me any error, only the oil and smoke were the trigger to had to change the turbo. And now with the new turbo the error appears when i push the rpms.
 Old 05-17-2019, 08:26 PM   #13

Not Ranked  0 score     

Sry, bad translation...
I mean that i "cleaned" the spark plugs before changing the turbo, like 600kms ago and it didnt show me any error, only the oil and smoke were the trigger to had to change the turbo. And now with the new turbo the error appears when i push the rpms.
I would change the plugs anyway. This seems electrical with a general miss under load. That code suggests multiple misfires on multiple cylinders. Could be the tune, but I think you are already running a K04 tune. Does Cobb even have separate base map tunes for the CX-7? If it does, you might want to load a MS3 specific base map Please state again the specific tune listing/name/map in Cobb nomenclature.

This engine is hard on plugs, even when in stock trim. If your total miles on them, regardless of whether “cleaned” or not is 15,000 or more, get new ones.

You might also, just to be sure, flash back to stock (I think AP called that stage 0) and then reload that Stage 1 basemap.
lazza151 likes this.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:36 PM   #14
MSF's Punishing Member

Pu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,289 Times in 1,843 Posts
Groans: 541
Groaned at 179 Times in 116 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Along with the other recommendations... how's the AFR/LTFT? If it's been running rich it could foul the plugs, and if it's been running lean you might have a leak causing misfires
 Old 05-22-2019, 06:08 PM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

The car is in the mechanic now... i will load the ms3 table from versatune to see what happens (i hope that it dont blow lol), the sparks was changed by new, but i havent tryied the car yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dropen For This Useful Post:
MSMS3 (05-22-2019)
 Old 05-23-2019, 01:24 AM   #16

tomek CX7 will become famous soon enoughtomek CX7 will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

Turbos are different between the 3/6 speeds and cx7
- its thrue but only for CX-7 automatic transmission
CX-7 with manual transmission has the same turbo 3/6 speeds K0422-882
I think you cannot load stock table from 3/6 or CX-7 MT because the engine has to work with AT, but ... I may be wrong

Last edited by tomek CX7; 05-23-2019 at 12:04 PM.
tomek CX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-23-2019, 05:41 PM   #17

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by tomek CX7 View Post
- its thrue but only for CX-7 automatic transmission
CX-7 with manual transmission has the same turbo 3/6 speeds K0422-882
I think you cannot load stock table from 3/6 or CX-7 MT because the engine has to work with AT, but ... I may be wrong
Good point... Theres any 3/6 automatic?
 Old 05-24-2019, 06:36 AM   #18

Not Ranked  0 score     

Good point... Theres any 3/6 automatic?
No. All 3 and 6 Speeds have the 6 speed manual.

Old 05-24-2019, 04:37 PM   #19

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by MSMS3 View Post
No. All 3 and 6 Speeds have the 6 speed manual.
Damn, im screwed then.
 Old 05-25-2019, 01:14 PM   #20

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well, i have the car back now.
It works fine for now, i had to change the 4 spark plugs. The new turbo works pretty good, no error 300 for now, i will have to use the car for some time if the error happens again.
I didnt change the tunning of the car. Im using the versatuner default tune.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dropen For This Useful Post:
MSMS3 (05-25-2019)