register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
CX7FORUMS.ORG - 2007+ Mazda CX-7 Forums
> CX-7 > Engine, Transmission & Driveline

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 07-11-2018, 08:31 AM   #1

Guitarkidd is an unknown quantity at this point
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default 2011 - 90K Miles - Trans/Shifting Issue - Transmission or TCM

Hello,

I have a 2011 with 90K. This morning was the first time I felt anything wrong with this car and its transmission. From a stop or near stop it appeared to be starting from 2nd gear, and then would down shift into 1st upon acceleration. Not hard down shift, but obviously not normal, and then the car would go through the gears normally with no issues. Only when I cam to a stop or a near stop would it stay in 2nd and then drop into 1st upon accelerating.

When I got to work the AT light eventually came on with no check engine light. There is a very respectable transmission shop within walking distance. When they opened I went to the car to drive it over. My car would not go into reverse but would still go into drive.

I pushed the car out of the parking spot and drove it to the transmission shop. The car went into reverse upon the initial test drive and the issues of shifting were present, but then at another point, the manager lost reverse during the test drive.

The manager was telling me that he believes from just driving it that something internal is wrong and I'm probably looking at a replacement and or rebuild. The manager is going to do some research on potential TSB, customer satisfaction programs from Mazda, etc., but I doubt there is anything he will find.

However, some research has shown that other Mazdas with the same or similar power trains have had the same issues and have only needed the TCM flashed or replaced.

This car has never shown any issues shifting. I am the original owner and have had all maintenance done too.

Thought and suggestions would be appreciated.
Guitarkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-11-2018, 10:07 AM   #2

Db09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 58
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm confused. Your car is a Mazdaspeed 3, correct? If so, is the shifter coming out of 2nd and going into 1st? Easy to see due to it being a manual transmission only car.

From your description it sounds like you're driving an automatic regular Mazda3.
 Old 07-11-2018, 11:00 AM   #3

Guitarkidd is an unknown quantity at this point
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Db09ms3 View Post
I'm confused. Your car is a Mazdaspeed 3, correct? If so, is the shifter coming out of 2nd and going into 1st? Easy to see due to it being a manual transmission only car.

From your description it sounds like you're driving an automatic regular Mazda3.
I'm sorry I'm confused why you're confused LOL... I posted this in the CX-7 forum because I have a 2011 CX-7... I am not sure why you are thinking I have a different vehicle.
Guitarkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-11-2018, 12:48 PM   #4

Db09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ha! I'm dumb. Carry on sir!
 Old 07-11-2018, 05:43 PM   #5

Solarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the world
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Guitarkidd View Post
I'm sorry I'm confused why you're confused LOL... I posted this in the CX-7 forum because I have a 2011 CX-7... I am not sure why you are thinking I have a different vehicle.
Solarsurge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Solarsurge For This Useful Post:
Db09ms3 (07-11-2018)
 Old 07-11-2018, 05:59 PM   #6

Not Ranked  0 score     

Ha!
Attached Images
File Type: png True.png (904.0 KB, 2 views)
 Old 07-12-2018, 01:52 PM   #7

Carskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Guitarkidd View Post
Hello,

I have a 2011 with 90K. This morning was the first time I felt anything wrong with this car and its transmission. From a stop or near stop it appeared to be starting from 2nd gear, and then would down shift into 1st upon acceleration. Not hard down shift, but obviously not normal, and then the car would go through the gears normally with no issues. Only when I cam to a stop or a near stop would it stay in 2nd and then drop into 1st upon accelerating.

When I got to work the AT light eventually came on with no check engine light. There is a very respectable transmission shop within walking distance. When they opened I went to the car to drive it over. My car would not go into reverse but would still go into drive.

I pushed the car out of the parking spot and drove it to the transmission shop. The car went into reverse upon the initial test drive and the issues of shifting were present, but then at another point, the manager lost reverse during the test drive.

The manager was telling me that he believes from just driving it that something internal is wrong and I'm probably looking at a replacement and or rebuild. The manager is going to do some research on potential TSB, customer satisfaction programs from Mazda, etc., but I doubt there is anything he will find.

However, some research has shown that other Mazdas with the same or similar power trains have had the same issues and have only needed the TCM flashed or replaced.

This car has never shown any issues shifting. I am the original owner and have had all maintenance done too.

Thought and suggestions would be appreciated.
I'm no expert on Auto Trannies, so take this with a grain of salt...

If the transmission feels and operates normal except for it's shift logic, then I'd suspect a electronics/computer problem. Rough/Bad shifts are more indicative of a mechanical problem. Loosing reverse could be either...
Current Performance Mods: APv3 Freektune 93 & E-30 | JBR 3.0 SRI | ETS TMIC, SpeedDaddy TP | AT HPFP | Damond RMM | Southbend S2 Endurance Clutch/Fly | Stoptech Slotted Rotors | EBC RedStuff Pads | Enkei 18x8.5 PF01 | Continental EC Sport 245/40R18 | Koni STR.T Shocks | JBR Shifter Bushings
Stereo Mods: Pioneer AVH4100NEX | Phoenix Gold Fronts | Focal Rears | Polk 12" in Trunk Floor Enclosure | PPI 4x125W amp driving Fronts & Sub
Other Mods: Low Note Additional Horn
Mods Awaitting Install: JBR TMIC Red Boost Tubes | DM OCC w/VTA
Future Mods:DM PMM & TMM | Injector Seals | Whiteline Suspension Bushings | Built Block & BNR S3v2 if ZZB
Removed Mods: JBR 70A RMM
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote