register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
CX7FORUMS.ORG - 2007+ Mazda CX-7 Forums
> CX-7 > Engine, Transmission & Driveline

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 09-22-2017, 12:45 PM   #1

Aja1732 will become famous soon enoughAja1732 will become famous soon enough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Turbo, followed by engine failure

Hey everyone,
So my 2010 Mazda Cx-7 GT (77k miles) decided to break on me the other day. The closest place I took it too said that my Turbo failed and that caused the Timing Chain to mess up which caused internal engine problems. Now let me explain what happened.

On interstate, accelerating, all the sudden a high pitched whine that changes with RPM, got off at next exit. Once I stop whining stopped followed by a crunch when accelerating. Pulled into a AAMCO Transmissions. They diag'd it at basically said I would need a new turbo and a new/used engine replacement.

As of right now I have it being towed to the nearest Mazda dealership, to see what they think. Now my question is, 1.) Could that actually cause that much damage with the turbo failing? 2.) Can it not be rebuilt? or is that cost prohibitive? 3.) If I was to find out that it could be rebuilt what would you change on it? Besides the MS3/MS6 Turbo change, I know I will definitely do that just because of how prone the current CX-7 Turbo's are to failure.

Thanks for reading.

Its been a fun few days. Wasn't expecting it to happen, but then I guess you never are. Also any advice would be appreciated. I love the car. Its fun and comfortable, plus I still owe on the car so I'm planning on keeping it for a bit.
Aja1732 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-22-2017, 01:07 PM   #2

mazda62006 is a name known to allmazda62006 is a name known to allmazda62006 is a name known to allmazda62006 is a name known to allmazda62006 is a name known to allmazda62006 is a name known to all
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

It really depends on what the failure was with the turbo. I guess it could cause engine damage. Also as for a rebuild, you really won't know until someone pull the engine apart to see what happened. I would rather rebuild if possible since you do not know the history of a used engine. Good luck
mazda62006 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mazda62006 For This Useful Post:
Aja1732 (09-22-2017)
 Old 09-26-2017, 08:10 AM   #3

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So just got a call from the dealership and there diagnosis is much better then the first one. They said that I only needed a timing set and new turbo. So I have enlisted some help from a mechanic friend of mine and I am planning on doing this myself. My question is since I have the chance what should I replace the oem turbo with? I know that if I go with a different turbo I will have to do retune the engine. Any recommendations on parts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
 Old 09-26-2017, 09:21 AM   #4

shamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

So a transmission shop diagnosed an engine that some Mazda dealers can't even diagnose correctly? Good you got out of there and I hope you didn't pay them for their "advice".

As for the turbo just go VIP here and buy a used turbo for $100-200 and call it a day. The turbos on here will probably be from a speed and not a CX7, but should work just fine as a direct replacement.
2009 MGM MS3 - / HTP 3"/ COBB AP, FMIC, RMM, & DP / AT Internals / Manley Rods & Pistons / ARP studs & bolts / Koyorad radiator / DM OCCs / ACT Clutch / Bilstein B16 / CS Camber Plates, Camber Arms, & Seals / JBR .125 RSB, BSD, 51R Battery Box & Raider's AD / StopTech Brakes
shamie is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-26-2017, 10:26 AM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I think I'm going to go new on the turbo. Probably just one online for it somewhere, unless there is a benefit to going with something like the BNR S1 or CS for a daily driver. Also is there anything else I should look at replacing while I am doing this? Like I said I know I will need to tune it for the larger turbo. Thanks again for the help. I wasn't expecting something like this to happen when it did, but kind of excited for a reason to replace it with something better to make the car a little more fun.
 Old 09-28-2017, 08:54 AM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So I picked up a used K04 from the classifieds, as well as ordered a Versatuner with cable, which should be here hopefully by the weekend. I've been reading about the tunes and learning to understand them. My question, if I am going to replace my timing chain, should I also replace the VVT? I'm finding quite a few basic kits for that, but with the problems I am having, would the VVT be the cause? I know I had the recall done on it, but that doesn't mean anything at this point. Also while I am doing the Chain, what else should I replace? Any pumps, etc?
 Old 09-28-2017, 09:32 AM   #7

andale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant future
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

I would go with the edge auto VVT kit, might as well replace everything while you are there:

Mazda OEM VVT Replacement Kit Mazdaspeed 3 / Mazdaspeed 6

Power:
BNR S4 v2 Turbocharger | JBR 3.5" Aluminum Intake | JBR Battery Box | GFB Respons BPV |Depo Racing Catless Downpipe | Bosch 3 BAR MAP | JBR 3 Port EBC | Treadstone TR8 Kit w/ Piping | Autotech HPFP Internals | Ultimate Racing Catback | Cobb Accessport V3 | Devils Own Meth Kit (D05) | Custom Tru-Cool Oil Cooler | FREEKTUNED E30 Mix+Meth

Handling:
KW V3 Coilovers | CS Camber Plates | SPC Rear Camber Arms | Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 235/40/18 | Full Damond Motor Mounts | JBR Weighted Shift Knob | JBR Shift Bushings | JBR Rear Sway Bar | Damond Short Shift Plate

Other:
Cobb Polyurethane Exhaust Hangers | Speedline Hood Struts | Corksport CF Hood Scoop | Damond OCC Stage 1 | Corksport E-Brake | Corksport Steering Wheel | Avid.1 AV-20 Wheels 18x8 +35
andale927 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-28-2017, 09:51 AM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

That's what I was thinking. Just doing the whole thing and then not having anything to worry about. Thanks for that link, appreciate it!
 Old 09-29-2017, 06:12 AM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks again for all the help everyone. One last question, I've been trying to find info on how to do the timing chain and whether or not I will have to remove the engine for it. Anybody have any directions or links I could take a look at for it? TIA
 Old 10-04-2017, 05:14 AM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So in the process of getting the turbo out I decided to look at the internals to see what I'm looking at with the timing chain. Well timing chain is a little loose, however my big concern in looking at the engine is the gunk and oil sludge built up. Anyone have any recommendations on how to clean that out? Before I get started on taking apart the serpentine belt and timing chain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171002_180345.jpg (3.97 MB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 20170930_170756.jpg (4.34 MB, 58 views)
 Old 10-05-2017, 11:02 AM   #11

Alpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the worldAlpha Wolf is the leader of the world
Groans: 6
Not Ranked  0 score     
Cool

If you have a lot of sludge and hardened oil in your galleries, that is due to not doing oil changes at the proper intervals or using the wrong oil or both.

Not much you can do if you are not rebuilding the engine. If you use any kind of cleaner inside the top of your engine you will need to change all of your oil and filter to assure none is left when you start it.

Alpha Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-05-2017, 11:23 AM   #12

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah, I ended up draining all oil and and coolant, and took the valve cover off and did a cleaning of the camshaft area using a kerosene spray. Evaporated pretty quick but broke up the sludge and everything is nice and clean. Hopefully once I get the time case off it won't be that bad. Figured out that to get the timing case that I have to remove the hydraulic motor mount and use a jack under to support it at the oil pan with a 2x4 or something similar to spread the weight out. This will hopefully prevent any damage to the oil pan. Once I got done cleaning the camshaft area I had a hose connected to a shop vac and sucked up all I could. Good news all that was left in the shop vac was the dried oil dust/small chunks. Learning as I go. But so far so good. Turbo is almost off after finally getting the exhaust manifold off. Got all parts and hopefully will have it done this weekend. Will let you know how it goes.

Edit: I'll also get some pictures up of what it looks like after the kerosene bath. Haha

Last edited by Aja1732; 10-05-2017 at 04:34 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aja1732 For This Useful Post:
andale927 (10-05-2017)
 Old 10-06-2017, 07:17 AM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I will also work to get a little guide together to better explain what all I did for people in the future that have similar issues. I'll try to get as many pictures up as I can, maybe in an imgur gallery or something. It might not be the 100% right way, but so far, my way has worked.

Thanks again for all the input and suggestions.
 Old 10-07-2017, 09:36 AM   #14

shamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the world
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

There is a VVT how to on here.
2009 MGM MS3 - / HTP 3"/ COBB AP, FMIC, RMM, & DP / AT Internals / Manley Rods & Pistons / ARP studs & bolts / Koyorad radiator / DM OCCs / ACT Clutch / Bilstein B16 / CS Camber Plates, Camber Arms, & Seals / JBR .125 RSB, BSD, 51R Battery Box & Raider's AD / StopTech Brakes
shamie is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-07-2017, 03:46 PM   #15

5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world
Groans: 74
Groaned at 12 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

HOW-TO VVT
Best guide eva
PTE 5858 Vband .82ar // Tial EWG // CPE Mani // 3" Turboback // JBR Under route hot pipe // MD ST mani+spacer with PI // Siemens 60lb Injectors // Splitsecond inj controller // JBR 88 duro RMM/TMM // MD PMM // TWM Full replacement shifter // JBR CC // Autotech FP Internals // SP63 SB/Manley rods SP63 pro pistons // Treadstone FMIC TR824 // FoMoCo Tranny Jizz // South Bend Clutch Stage 3 enduro// GFB Respons // FJ 4" intake // WMI 100% VPM1 // Air Lift 1000 in rear // N2MB WOT BOX
Rfinkle tune in progress

The Brooklyn beater: 2005 1.8 Auto Sentra

5doorsoffury is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-13-2017, 06:27 AM   #16

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I was quite surprised at how easy that was to replace once I had everything off. Thanks to the wonderful rain, I haven't had a chance to work on it since Saturday. Just have to put everything back together and put fresh fluids in. Only PITA was getting the last few bolts taken off from the turbo. Everything else was relatively easy, with the write set of instructions.
 Old 11-11-2017, 02:38 PM   #17

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So good news and bad news.

Bad news first, after getting the new turbo and timing kit on, I found that the exhaust camshaft had cracked on the end. So now it's going to need a rebuild.

Good news is that it was relatively easy to get the engine out and dropped off at the machine shop.

I'll keep it up to date.
 Old 05-30-2018, 01:52 PM   #18

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

After a few months of working on the vehicle off and on finally at the point where I will have it finished this weekend. Once running I will use the Versa Tuner to take into account the turbo from the Mazda speed. Question for you though, since the engine has been rebuilt. Once all new fluids have been added, is there anything I should do prior to the first start? A mechanic buddy recommended that I try turning it over without the spark plugs firing to get the pumps and everything moving. Any input would be great!

Thanks!
 Old 05-30-2018, 07:07 PM   #19

SSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,564 Times in 1,687 Posts
Groans: 55
Groaned at 17 Times in 12 Posts
Neutral  +1 score     

Cranking while holding the gas pedal at WOT will turn off the fuel and let you get the oil circulating before it fires up.
Fully Built : Arias Pistons: Pauter Rods : ARP bolts: Ported Head: Cosworth BSD : Spec 3+ Clutch : Fidanza Flywheel : AWR Engine mounts 90duro : Custom TIP/Intake : Custom Blow Through 3.5" MAF : Custom FMIC : HKS SSQV VTA : Ported IM : Custom DP : Custom Exhaust : CPBoost Top Mount EM : Garrett GT3582R : PTP Turbo Blanket: Tial V44 EWG : Perrin EBCS : MrLilGuy/PTP HPFP : Ported fuel line : Ported Fuel Rail : Custom Ported Fuel Injectors : Kenny Bell Boost-a-Pump : HKS Twin Power DLI II : HKS M-Series Plugs : Cobb AP : AEM 3.5bar MAP :Koni Sport shocks : RPM Kspec Springs : TWM STS : TT Front Diff Mount : CPE Upper Diff Mount : Whiteline RSB : AWR Endlinks

Soon to be installed:
ST manifold w/ port injection : Raduim Engineering PCV Plate : Radium Engineering PCV valve : Radium Engineering Fuel filter : Aeromotive FPR : DCR VVT : TI Automotive F90000274 Fuel Pump : NX 15718 : Split Second AIC

SSinstaller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SSinstaller For This Useful Post:
Aja1732 (07-23-2018)
 Old 05-30-2018, 07:24 PM   #20

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks for that! Appreciate it! Can't wait until I get it back on the road.
 Old 05-30-2018, 08:51 PM   #21

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 22
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Neutral  +1 score     

Be sure you don't forget to hook up your throttle body wiring. I left mine off by accident and went to turn the engine over while WOT to circulate fluids and it started right up. Throttle pedal did nothing, obviously.
Versatuner, 3-bar MAP, ITV22, CP-e TMIC
CS Turbo/DP/RP/HPFP/BPV/R-DiffMount
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Rear Russian Bushings, Poly FSB Bushings
Magnaflow CBE, ACT 6-puck/Streetlite
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/OCC/PCV Plate
Other rides:
2014 F-150 XLT SuperCrew Ecoboost
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (13.467 @ 105.44)
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/redirect-to/?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fcse.google.com%2Fcse%3Fcx%3 D007197676933930921148%3Apwlh1e31oxu%23gsc.tab%3D0
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fstrnyou For This Useful Post:
Aja1732 (07-23-2018)
 Old 05-30-2018, 09:16 PM   #22

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Fstrnyou View Post
Be sure you don't forget to hook up your throttle body wiring. I left mine off by accident and went to turn the engine over while WOT to circulate fluids and it started right up. Throttle pedal did nothing, obviously.
Haha thanks for the tip. I'll go through and double check all my wiring to make sure.
 Old 06-09-2018, 10:10 AM   #23

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So I have everything put together. Now the issue is that is runs if I use the accelerator while I start it and keep it above 1500 rpm. If it falls under it dies. If I keep it going and I put it in drive it stays idling but is very rough.

Now here's the weird thing, no CEL and the engine rpm above 1500 is smooth. Under is really rough. Could fuel left in there for 6+ months cause that, since it's premium? Any other ideas? MAF is clean. Seems like an air or fuel issue. Also I read something about a relearning procedure for idling?
 Old 06-11-2018, 08:48 AM   #24

Thor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the world
Groans: 211
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Neutral  +1 score     

Idle issue could be a few things. Check for vacuum leaks and toss in some fresh fuel if the tank is relatively low. Maybe you just forgot to hook something up? Check all your grounds as well. Particularly the one on the fuel pump.
2007 MS6- H&R Coilovers/ C-PE Catted DP/Corksport HPFP Internals/ AEM CAI/ ETS TMIC/ CPE Austenite Dual CBE/ CPE TIH/ Synapse Synchronic/ Freektuned/ AP Short Shifter/ AWR RMM and OEM TMM with CS Inserts/ Southbend Stage 2 Endurance/Stop Tech Slotted Rear and DBA T3 4000 Series Front with EBC Reds/CPE xFlex Rear Diff Mount/ Whiteline Rear Sway Bar/DSS Level 2.9 Rear Axles
Thor Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thor Hammer For This Useful Post:
Aja1732 (07-23-2018)
 Old 07-21-2018, 08:41 AM   #25

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So good news. Got the car up and running, ended up having a vacuum leak between the turbo and engine. So bad news, I think I damaged the new(used) turbo when it originally wouldn't idle. The turbo under any load makes a noise that sounds comparable to a weed eater. I'm assuming bearings or something went bad. Any input on that would help.

If the turbo is bad, then I'm looking at either the BNR S1 or the CS turbo. I'm going to compare the two hardware wise when I get the chance this weekend. The S2 for $100, says I have relocate the boost control solinoid. Still running stock everything but do have versatuner so ready to tune as soon as new turbo is in. Gotta google-fu comparisons between the turbo and see if it's worth the upgrade.
 Old 07-21-2018, 09:47 AM   #26

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 22
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

The CS turbo is between the S3 and S4.

S1 is comparable to stock.
Versatuner, 3-bar MAP, ITV22, CP-e TMIC
CS Turbo/DP/RP/HPFP/BPV/R-DiffMount
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Rear Russian Bushings, Poly FSB Bushings
Magnaflow CBE, ACT 6-puck/Streetlite
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/OCC/PCV Plate
Other rides:
2014 F-150 XLT SuperCrew Ecoboost
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (13.467 @ 105.44)
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/redirect-to/?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fcse.google.com%2Fcse%3Fcx%3 D007197676933930921148%3Apwlh1e31oxu%23gsc.tab%3D0
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-21-2018, 11:10 AM   #27

andale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant futureandale927 has a brilliant future
Neutral  +1 score     

If I were you I would install some sort of oil filter before your turbo oil feed with the new turbo. That turbo was definitely good and it is pretty unlikely to be damaged by an idle problem, you might have some debris in your oil from your previous issues.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Power:
BNR S4 v2 Turbocharger | JBR 3.5" Aluminum Intake | JBR Battery Box | GFB Respons BPV |Depo Racing Catless Downpipe | Bosch 3 BAR MAP | JBR 3 Port EBC | Treadstone TR8 Kit w/ Piping | Autotech HPFP Internals | Ultimate Racing Catback | Cobb Accessport V3 | Devils Own Meth Kit (D05) | Custom Tru-Cool Oil Cooler | FREEKTUNED E30 Mix+Meth

Handling:
KW V3 Coilovers | CS Camber Plates | SPC Rear Camber Arms | Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 235/40/18 | Full Damond Motor Mounts | JBR Weighted Shift Knob | JBR Shift Bushings | JBR Rear Sway Bar | Damond Short Shift Plate

Other:
Cobb Polyurethane Exhaust Hangers | Speedline Hood Struts | Corksport CF Hood Scoop | Damond OCC Stage 1 | Corksport E-Brake | Corksport Steering Wheel | Avid.1 AV-20 Wheels 18x8 +35
andale927 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andale927 For This Useful Post:
Aja1732 (07-23-2018)
 Old 07-21-2018, 11:17 AM   #28

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well I replaced the oil cooler and cleaned the lines out prior to reinstalling, figuring that would take care of it I have no doubt it was good. I probably jacked it up some how. I'll take a video of it when I get home reving and post it here. Get your opinion on the sound. Doesn't seem to effect performance at all. Mpg is better than what I was getting. Drove it for 30 miles and it started shortly after mile 3 or 4. No stuttering or issues. Just the noise. I'm just afraid of it having the same issue and causing another engine failure if it goes bad, that's why I'm thinking of a bigger turbo.
 Old 07-23-2018, 05:31 PM   #29

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

After much tinkering and just running the car around the neighborhood it seems that the loud turbo noise is fading. Don't know if that's good or bad. Haven't noticed any strange rev jumps or engine stuttering.

Then I went ahead and used VT and tuned the engine with the 93 octane, and wow what a difference in drivability. Also I forgot how well the car handles and rides vs the 2013 Outback I've been driving. So much better and more controlled. If the noise goes away I will stick with the turbo for the time being. Until I get a bug to do something else. TBH, I'm burned out working on it after so long. Haha.

Thanks to everyone that posted. It really helped out and I really appreciate it!
 Old 11-07-2018, 11:12 AM   #30

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well after a year of issues I've finally gotten it to the point where it's drivable. In Aug I had had enough and took it to the dealership after numerous issues communicating with the pcm they finally replaced it with a new one. The one code that keeps coming back regardless is p0012 (intake cam over retarded). I had them install a new timing chain and retime the engine which did not fix it. It keeps coming back after 30-40 miles of normal driving. The one thing that hasn't been replaced is the camshaft position sensor. Would I be smart in replacing or trying to clean it? It's not an expensive part and at this point I would rather replace it. Any other ideas if timing and vvt was replaced at dealer? I've had it back there numerous times and they have done a lot of work on it (new cluster, pcm, fuel pressure regulator, and ocv filter). This where I'm at. I'm driving the car on slow slide just in case. Any recommendations would be extremely helpful. Thanks!