register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Car Audio & Electronics

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Car Audio & Electronics MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Car Audio & Electronics - Tired of that stock stereo? Installing Nav units or mods to your current system? Come talk about it here.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 12-06-2017, 09:43 PM   #1

SpeedySpeedBoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Post Gauge Pod for MS3 G1

I'm looking to install three gauges in my 2008 Speed3 GT. I would like to install a Boost/Vac, Oil Pressure, and Oil Temp.

To do this, I plan on doing the G2 spin-on conversion and using an adapter plate to get the oil temp and pressure. Has anyone done this before? I know the spin-on conversion is common but I'm not sure if anyone here has any experience with these.

I'm going to use SpeedHut gauges with a cp-e gauge pod that replaces the center dash/vent panel.

I found this post to help find the correct wires to splice into.

All in all, this should cost slightly under $750 for what I have planned. Does anyone have any suggestions/tips/warnings/ect? Thanks.

Links:
Boost/Vac Gauge
Oil Pressure
Oil Temperature
Gauge Lighting
Gauge Pod
Spin-on Conversion
Adapter Plate

Also, for the gauges I'll change the colors as following:
SpeedySpeedBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-07-2017, 07:12 AM   #2

Bingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the world
Groans: 15
Groaned at 9 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm not sure how those "SpeedHut" work, but read post #5 on that thread you posted if they have any form of peak recall/memory programmed in. Other than that, it's not difficult, but damn $750 is a lot of money. I bought my pod and 1 of my gauges used and all in I was about $400. Even still, the spin on is $70, the pod is $210, so those gauges are like $400? That's insane. Why not go with Prosport's?

Things that don't: Gen Pu wheels, CPE center pod with Prosport boost, OP, and OT gauges.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
SpeedySpeedBoy (12-07-2017)
 Old 12-07-2017, 12:26 PM   #3

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

The SpeedHut gauges do have a peak recall but I'm not looking to save those between trips.

$750 is a lot. I was originally looking at $500 all in. The pod I was originally looking at sat in top of the dash panel, which I'd also have to cut through. I'd rather spend the money on the replacement panel. Also, and this may seem silly, but the boost/vac gauge only comes with a sweep from 270° to 0° and the oil gauges were from 225° to 315°. The oil gauges that have sweeps from 270° to 0° are more expensive but they will all look closer together.

I took a look at the Prosport gauges and I couldn't find any that matched the stock look unless I was missing them. I'd like to keep the look as stock/matching as I can. And I'm not sure if the Prosport gauges come. With sensors like the SpeedHut ones do, but I will take a closer look.
 Old 12-07-2017, 12:45 PM   #4

Bingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I mean as per my sig, I have the Prosport "premium gauges" with the CP-E center pod, and it matches the stock gauges brilliantly. The gauges look almost identical to the pictures you posted. And I'm not sure which sensors you're referring to, but the Prosport's have everything you'd need.
Also, you're still going to want to hook it up to constant power if it has a beep warning function. Otherwise you will hate your life everytime you start the car.

Things that don't: Gen Pu wheels, CPE center pod with Prosport boost, OP, and OT gauges.

Last edited by Bingo; 12-07-2017 at 02:23 PM.
 Old 12-07-2017, 03:35 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I was just referring to the boost and oil sensors.

And ok, I'm assuming you used the Amber/White gauges? It looks like the lenses on those are tinted.
 Old 12-07-2017, 04:11 PM   #6

Not Ranked  0 score     

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of mine in daylight, but if they are tinted it's hard to tell. There's no issue with clearly reading them. And yes, I went with Amber/white. The Amber is nearly identical (at least I can't tell a difference) to the stock cluster lighting, but I'd still recommend using white during the day. But yes, each prosport gauge comes with senders for each. The "premium" series (and up) will work with our automatic headlights, but the "performance" series will not change color properly at night (unless you switch the lights manually). If you don't care about having automatic lights, get the performance. If you do, get the premium. Either way, you're looking at saving at least $150 over the ones you posted.

Last edited by Bingo; 12-07-2017 at 04:53 PM.
 Old 12-07-2017, 04:32 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I've never been a fan of automatic headlight, so that's not too big of a deal for me but that is good to know. So the gauges change color from white to amber when the headlights turn on, it's not a brightness change?

It would be a huge plus to save that $150+.
 Old 12-07-2017, 04:53 PM   #8

Not Ranked  0 score     

They will change depending on how you wire them (you have the choice of what color you want at what time). I would recommend white being daytime and amber being nighttime since the white is too bright for night, and amber is (slightly) too dim for the day.
And in terms of the auto headlights: This only matters if you get the "performance" (cheapest) prosport gauges. During the day with headlights on auto, they change color exactly as they should. Start the car, flip the headlights on/off, whatever, they will work fine. At night, if you start the car with the headlights on "auto", they will remain the daytime color until you shut off the car. If again at night, you start the car with the headlights off then switch them to on or auto, they will work fine. It's a very picky issue, but definitely one to be aware of. Prosport "Performance" gauges would run you about $175 all in. And I can sell you a boost gauge (if you go VIP).

Old 12-07-2017, 06:56 PM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok, so I could go even even cheaper and get the performance gauges. I would like the gauges to be red in the daytime like the stock ones are but that doesn't seem to be the option for the Prosport. I also noticed that some of the gauges say they have a gauge sweep on startup and some don't say anything about that. Do yours do this?

And thank you, this is all really helpful. I'm overly picky and all this info is helping.
 Old 12-07-2017, 07:36 PM   #10

Not Ranked  0 score     

A gauge "sweep" is just referring to its startup procedure, like some speedometers do in a car on startup. Yes mine do this. It's not important. You can try them as red during the day, some people do it.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:53 PM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I just wasn't sure if all the gauges did the sweep or if it was only the ones listed. And I may take you up on that offer, I'm looking into all the options now though.
 Old 12-09-2017, 05:08 PM   #12

sharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the world
Groans: 47
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have a basic, entry-level Prosport electronic boost gauge (like $60 new) set to red/amber full time and have never considered it to be too dim in the daylight, but your methods may vary. It does the gauge sweep at startup so I assume all Prosports will do that. I'd offer to sell it to you for cheap but don't want to step on @Bingo;'s toes since he already offered you one.
Koni Str.t + Bilstein B8; Swift Springs; JBR STS; Sumi HTR Z III on RX8s
PD by Will
sharksinspace is offline   Reply With Quote