register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Car Audio & Electronics

Notices

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Car Audio & Electronics MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Car Audio & Electronics - Tired of that stock stereo? Installing Nav units or mods to your current system? Come talk about it here.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 08-18-2009, 08:13 PM   #1

pugzsigmapi is an unknown quantity at this point
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default how many watts can the stock alternator handle?

i have a Speed3 GT so i have the bose system and i want to add a subwoofer and have been thinking about one Rockford Fosgate P3 (500 watts rms) or one Rockford T1 (600 watts rms) can our car/alternator handle this much power added to it? (i know it would depend on the amp.. which would be around 400-500 watts rms)

I wonder because my previous car was a 2000 V6 cougar and i have 2 older P2's which together was only 400rms 800max and at one point i had problems with the battery not getting charged as quickly as it should and sometimes would die...

so how much power can our car/alternator handle before its too much?

any help would be helpful.. but please only respond if u actually know what ur talking about THANKS!
pugzsigmapi is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-18-2009, 08:25 PM   #2

JMEngineer is the leader of the worldJMEngineer is the leader of the worldJMEngineer is the leader of the worldJMEngineer is the leader of the worldJMEngineer is the leader of the worldJMEngineer is the leader of the worldJMEngineer is the leader of the worldJMEngineer is the leader of the worldJMEngineer is the leader of the worldJMEngineer is the leader of the worldJMEngineer is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,714 Times in 906 Posts
Groans: 32
Groaned at 19 Times in 15 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm not sure how it is with the 3, but I know the MS6 has a more powerful alternator than the regular 6. When I have both of my subs in I'm running well over 1000W RMS and I've never had any problems - just a slight dimming of the lights on the big hits if I turn it way up. I don't see 5-600 being a problem.

2009 MS3 GT - Keeping it stock* as a DD until the 6 is finished
*except for JBR intake/TIP and short shifter, all engine mounts, Autotech HPFP internals, ETS TMIC, Custom AP tune, Pauter rods, CP pistons, and 6-puck ACT clutch
JMEngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-19-2009, 06:43 AM   #3

ataraxia has much to be proud ofataraxia has much to be proud ofataraxia has much to be proud ofataraxia has much to be proud ofataraxia has much to be proud ofataraxia has much to be proud ofataraxia has much to be proud ofataraxia has much to be proud ofataraxia has much to be proud ofataraxia has much to be proud of
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by pugzsigmapi View Post
i have a Speed3 GT so i have the bose system and i want to add a subwoofer and have been thinking about one Rockford Fosgate P3 (500 watts rms) or one Rockford T1 (600 watts rms) can our car/alternator handle this much power added to it? (i know it would depend on the amp.. which would be around 400-500 watts rms)

I wonder because my previous car was a 2000 V6 cougar and i have 2 older P2's which together was only 400rms 800max and at one point i had problems with the battery not getting charged as quickly as it should and sometimes would die...

so how much power can our car/alternator handle before its too much?

any help would be helpful.. but please only respond if u actually know what ur talking about THANKS!
The 2007-2008 Speed3 and the 2006-2007 Speed6 have a 110 amp alternator, although I understand they are limited to 80amps by the ECU. I've got two amps and nine speakers using the stock alternator and have no dimming/starting issues although I'm going to pick up a yellow top Optima this weekend (D35) as a starting point toward prevention.
ataraxia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ataraxia For This Useful Post:
802MS3 (08-19-2009)
 Old 08-19-2009, 09:10 AM   #4

SSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,426 Times in 1,587 Posts
Groans: 46
Groaned at 16 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have a Memphis MOJO 2500D, and a Memphis MC5004 amp running on the stock alternator and haven't had any charging issues. I do run two tiny optima pc680 batteries in the trunk, but that was done to get the battery out from under the hood, not because of the stereo..

You won't have any problems.
Fully Built : Arias Pistons: Pauter Rods : ARP bolts: Ported Head: Cosworth BSD : Spec 3+ Clutch : Fidanza Flywheel : AWR Engine mounts 90duro : Custom TIP/Intake : Custom Blow Through 3.5" MAF : Custom FMIC : HKS SSQV VTA : Ported IM : Custom DP : Custom Exhaust : CPBoost Top Mount EM : Garrett GT3582R : PTP Turbo Blanket: Tial V44 EWG : Perrin EBCS : MrLilGuy/PTP HPFP : Ported fuel line : Ported Fuel Rail : Custom Ported Fuel Injectors : Kenny Bell Boost-a-Pump : HKS Twin Power DLI II : HKS M-Series Plugs : Cobb AP : AEM 3.5bar MAP :Koni Sport shocks : RPM Kspec Springs : TWM STS : TT Front Diff Mount : CPE Upper Diff Mount : Whiteline RSB : AWR Endlinks
SSinstaller is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-20-2009, 09:03 AM   #5

pugzsigmapi is an unknown quantity at this point
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

sweet thanks!
pugzsigmapi is offline   Reply With Quote