register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Appearance

Notices

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Appearance MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Appearance - Show off pics of your ride, including after market body enhancements!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By drknyte

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 07-10-2011, 09:23 PM   #1

dark_matter has a reputation beyond reputedark_matter has a reputation beyond reputedark_matter has a reputation beyond reputedark_matter has a reputation beyond reputedark_matter has a reputation beyond reputedark_matter has a reputation beyond reputedark_matter has a reputation beyond reputedark_matter has a reputation beyond reputedark_matter has a reputation beyond reputedark_matter has a reputation beyond reputedark_matter has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Neutral  +1 score     
Post Fiber Images Carbon Fiber Hood

I was in a minor fender bender and my OEM hood was going to be replaced. I went looking for aftermarket alternatives and found next to no information on Fiber Images Cerbon Fiber Hoods. So I took a gamble and went with it, this writeup is meant to be a FYI for the community.

I ordered the hood through a reputable forum vendor. It took about 22 Business days to get to the doors of the body shop.

I have the hood painted to match the other body panels. On with the pics...

Mazdaspeed Logo showing the original Carbon Fiber Weave. At certain angles and lighting conditions, you can actually see the CF weaves under the paint.

There is a Fiber Images logo located Top Middle of the Hood, don't really like to idea of advertising the brand fro free.

Underside of hood with stock ducting. Body shop claims that the insulator don't fit.

A real ghetto cutout toward the back of the hood on both sides.

Latch looks solid

I believe the skeleton of the hood (the inner) is fiberglass and only the top cover is made out of carbon fiber. The hood is definitely not as light as I have expected, but light and flexible enough that you will notice.

The overall Fitment is alright. You will definitely see bigger gaps all around, but the gaps are more or less even on both sides. I am seeing some issues with the hood not sitting flush with the fenders. I think sliding the hood forward a little may help. To adjust the hood back and forth, you will have to take off the front bumper and both fenders to get to the hood latch bolts. A royal pain in the you-know-where.

Power:
COBB Tuning AccessPORT Stage 1 // NGK 1-step colder plugs(LTR7IX-11) // COBB Tuning SF Intake+Turbo Inlet Hose // Corksport Cold Air Box // Generic ebay Testpipe

Chassis/Suspension/Brakes:
Damond Motorsports Rear Motor Mount // H&R Coilover // Mazdaspeed Rear Camber Arms // Goodridge Stainless Braided Lines // Hawk HPS Front Pads x Centric Blanks // Limited Production Gunmetal RPF1 17x8 +45 // Tri-point Engineering RSB
dark_matter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dark_matter For This Useful Post:
-cj- (07-10-2011), 4G63 (07-10-2011), AZSPEED3 (07-10-2011), breakfstincluded (06-19-2012), Easter Bunny (05-04-2012), kunfu (07-31-2011), theschrum (07-25-2014)
The Following User Says NO Thank You to dark_matter For This Un-useful Post:
drknyte (07-29-2011)
 Old 07-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #2

Karmat is the leader of the worldKarmat is the leader of the worldKarmat is the leader of the worldKarmat is the leader of the worldKarmat is the leader of the worldKarmat is the leader of the worldKarmat is the leader of the worldKarmat is the leader of the worldKarmat is the leader of the worldKarmat is the leader of the worldKarmat is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,148 Times in 496 Posts
Groans: 17
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

1. How much was it?
2. How much weight does it actually save?
Karmat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Karmat For This Useful Post:
AZSPEED3 (07-10-2011)
 Old 07-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #3

AZSPEED3 is the leader of the worldAZSPEED3 is the leader of the worldAZSPEED3 is the leader of the worldAZSPEED3 is the leader of the worldAZSPEED3 is the leader of the worldAZSPEED3 is the leader of the worldAZSPEED3 is the leader of the worldAZSPEED3 is the leader of the worldAZSPEED3 is the leader of the worldAZSPEED3 is the leader of the worldAZSPEED3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,006 Times in 656 Posts
Groans: 65
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Very nice, good to see you painted to match the rest of the car and not go the rice way
AZSPEED3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-10-2011, 10:04 PM   #4

-cj- is the leader of the world-cj- is the leader of the world-cj- is the leader of the world-cj- is the leader of the world-cj- is the leader of the world-cj- is the leader of the world-cj- is the leader of the world-cj- is the leader of the world-cj- is the leader of the world-cj- is the leader of the world-cj- is the leader of the world
Groans: 21
Groaned at 13 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I bought this hood last year and just recently installed it last week (I didn't want to use it during the winter). It's a great quality hood, but I'm also having trouble getting it to sit flush with the car. I have to try playing with it again, but the hood isn't centered, so the left side gap is greater then the right side... It's also a little higher next to the fenders, like you said.

I like what you did with the paint job... Looks cool.

The body shop that installed the hood lied to you about the insulator stuff not fitting. I have mine on... That "ghetto" hole in the back is where the insulator slides into place. The rest of the holes for the insulator panels need to be drilled out if you choose to install them. The under side of the hood is an exact reproduction of our OEM hood, so everything fits....
Mod List: ATP 3071R @ 22 psi, Grimspeed in 3-port mode, Steedspeed Manifold, Snow Performance Stage 2 Meth Kit, Cobb AP, CP-E 3" Nano SRI, CP-E Big Inlet TIP, Cobb "Stage 2" Suspension Kit, CP-E FMIC, CP-E DP, CP-E HPFP, CP-E MM, TWM STS, Custom Tuned by Fobio.
-cj- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to -cj- For This Useful Post:
Babyface (07-31-2011), dark_matter (07-11-2011), Easter Bunny (05-04-2012), wette460 (07-29-2011)
 Old 07-10-2011, 10:11 PM   #5

4G63 is the leader of the world4G63 is the leader of the world4G63 is the leader of the world4G63 is the leader of the world4G63 is the leader of the world4G63 is the leader of the world4G63 is the leader of the world4G63 is the leader of the world4G63 is the leader of the world4G63 is the leader of the world4G63 is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,041 Times in 786 Posts
Groans: 123
Groaned at 157 Times in 79 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Props for the gamble think it turned out pretty good. Underside is ugly but not gonna really see that unless you do shows

BUILD PLANS: LR 2.0/2.4, 6466, 800+whp. Shooting for 9s at full weight. Time is on my side, gonna take forever.

Old: 2009 White MS3. Fully bolted and tuned. Sold

Last edited by 4G63; 07-10-2011 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Not sure why it added all the pics I didn't quote him
4G63 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-11-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
The Angry Goose

Hectik1 is the leader of the worldHectik1 is the leader of the worldHectik1 is the leader of the worldHectik1 is the leader of the worldHectik1 is the leader of the worldHectik1 is the leader of the worldHectik1 is the leader of the worldHectik1 is the leader of the worldHectik1 is the leader of the worldHectik1 is the leader of the worldHectik1 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,048 Times in 580 Posts
Groans: 14
Groaned at 9 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Looks good!

2014 Mazda 3

2008 Mazdaspeed3-SOLD

1979 Mazda Rx7
Hectik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-29-2011, 04:41 PM   #7
nothing to see here....

drknyte is the leader of the worlddrknyte is the leader of the worlddrknyte is the leader of the worlddrknyte is the leader of the worlddrknyte is the leader of the worlddrknyte is the leader of the worlddrknyte is the leader of the worlddrknyte is the leader of the worlddrknyte is the leader of the worlddrknyte is the leader of the worlddrknyte is the leader of the world
Groans: 39
Groaned at 43 Times in 18 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Your a f'n retard..... you can still see the carbonfiber pattern wanting to come out through the paint..... you know why?!?!?!

CAUSE IT'S CARBONFIBER AND IT WANTS TO B SEEN!!!!
bhamitgeek likes this.

60ft: 2.167
1/8: 9.052
1/4: 13.922 @ 100.37
(26psi tire pressure & stock tires)

CP-E CAI; CP-E Turbo Inlet Pipe; CP-E RMM; Engals ETD; TRZ TM; PG ExhMani; JBarone Shifter Weight, E4 Performance Shift Knob; Solid Shifter bushings; JBarone SSP

:
drknyte is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drknyte For This Useful Post:
mikespeed3 (09-11-2012)
The Following 2 Users Say NO Thank You to drknyte For This Un-useful Post:
kunfu (07-31-2011), thanox2 (10-29-2011)
 Old 07-29-2011, 04:54 PM   #8

wette460 is the leader of the worldwette460 is the leader of the worldwette460 is the leader of the worldwette460 is the leader of the worldwette460 is the leader of the worldwette460 is the leader of the worldwette460 is the leader of the worldwette460 is the leader of the worldwette460 is the leader of the worldwette460 is the leader of the worldwette460 is the leader of the world
Groans: 41
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have the same hood on my car as well. Never thought about doing a write up on it though, lol. You need to get some heat protection on that thing asap! Don't be like me and not put any and then 3 months later you see cracks go through the entire clear coat from heat damage. I'm thinking about sanding it and painting it black just so the cracks don't show up. It is starting to look pretty bad.

If you live in a sunny area, wax that bitch often. And yes, our OEM hoods are heavy as shit and I bet I shaved at least 20 lbs by switching.

sorry about the thread being
T3 GTX 3076R .82 a/r, ATP wide-mouth turbo inlet, CPE FMIC, 3.25" MAF custom intake, HKS BPV, Steedspeed T3 Exh. mani, CPE High Output Fuel Pump, Streetunit MM, CP-E side mounts, Mazdaspeed CBE, v-band custom DP, TiAL 38mm EWG, DO stg 2 meth 75/25 w/ do7, 3.5 bar MAP, Cobb AP, TWM solid shifter base bushings, BC racing 32 way adj. coilovers, Mazdaspeed camber links, 18" Bronze Enkei wheels
wette460 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wette460 For This Useful Post:
dark_matter (07-31-2011)
 Old 07-29-2011, 05:04 PM   #9

BReif61 is the leader of the worldBReif61 is the leader of the worldBReif61 is the leader of the worldBReif61 is the leader of the worldBReif61 is the leader of the worldBReif61 is the leader of the worldBReif61 is the leader of the worldBReif61 is the leader of the worldBReif61 is the leader of the worldBReif61 is the leader of the worldBReif61 is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Why did you decide to go without pins?
 Old 07-31-2011, 07:23 AM   #10

Babyface is the leader of the worldBabyface is the leader of the worldBabyface is the leader of the worldBabyface is the leader of the worldBabyface is the leader of the worldBabyface is the leader of the worldBabyface is the leader of the worldBabyface is the leader of the worldBabyface is the leader of the worldBabyface is the leader of the worldBabyface is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,387 Times in 82 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

No need for pins with this hood. I have had mine for over 2 years. Mine fits perfectly but PLEASE put the stock insulator on it... you WILL need it. Also it wouldnt hurt to pull the rubber seal off from the back of the engine bay to let out some of the rediculous engine bay temps before it starts to get to your new investment.
 Old 07-31-2011, 08:08 AM   #11

daztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond reputedaztdMS6 has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

It's too bad the fitment isn't better. The larger gaps and fitment issues would make me mad .
DashHawk, CorkSport TIP & SRI, CorkSport TMIC, SU RMM, CPE rear diff mount, Perrin EBCS, TurboSmart BPV, TWM Stage 2 STS + metal bushings, Denso ITV-22, SM OCC, JBR EGR deletion & TIG, silicone boost tubes, Bilstein HD shocks, LED light bulbs, TRS clear projectors, 35W DDM Tuning HID foglights, Hawks HPS brake pads, Amsoil in the rear diff, pto & trans, factory navi, XCarLink USB.
daztdMS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-31-2011, 08:58 AM   #12

dark_matter has a reputation beyond reputedark_matter has a reputation beyond reputedark_matter has a reputation beyond reputedark_matter has a reputation beyond reputedark_matter has a reputation beyond reputedark_matter has a reputation beyond reputedark_matter has a reputation beyond reputedark_matter has a reputation beyond reputedark_matter has a reputation beyond reputedark_matter has a reputation beyond reputedark_matter has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by wette460 View Post
.... You need to get some heat protection on that thing asap! Don't be like me and not put any and then 3 months later you see cracks go through the entire clear coat from heat damage. I'm thinking about sanding it and painting it black just so the cracks don't show up. It is starting to look pretty bad.
I went back to the body shop and have them put the insulators back on.

I was reading mix reviews on the CF hoods with regards to clearcoat cracking and peeling. That is actually the main reason why I have it painted and clearcoat. I guess it's just one less thing to worry about.

Power:
COBB Tuning AccessPORT Stage 1 // NGK 1-step colder plugs(LTR7IX-11) // COBB Tuning SF Intake+Turbo Inlet Hose // Corksport Cold Air Box // Generic ebay Testpipe

Chassis/Suspension/Brakes:
Damond Motorsports Rear Motor Mount // H&R Coilover // Mazdaspeed Rear Camber Arms // Goodridge Stainless Braided Lines // Hawk HPS Front Pads x Centric Blanks // Limited Production Gunmetal RPF1 17x8 +45 // Tri-point Engineering RSB
dark_matter is online now   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-04-2012, 05:56 AM   #13

okc_car_dude is an unknown quantity at this point
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I wanted to ask a couple of things. I am looking to replace my hood due to a dent and scores (20's) of rock chips in the paint from highway driving... As was mentioned before, 1)actual weight of the oem hood would be very helpful. =)
2)Also, I really like the concept of matching the oem supports, but I don't know...
Do all OE replacement CF hoods come this way?
3)A BIG concern for me is, what about the top mount intercooler? It has a channel and gasket that attatches to the oem hood that that takes air through the battery box. Will this also fit? or do you really not need to worry about it? (This may be something trivial, but this is why I'm asking)
*edit* Lol, so looking back at those pics, I realized that duct is on there, heh heh. But does the hood have to come with something to attatch it, or something else? Just wondering exactly how it fits on there, as I have yet to mess with mine (wasn't going to risk anything until replacement, lol)
4) I've not seen this brand of CF hood shown. Where is it purchased?

Thanks for the tips on the insulation and the clearcoat! ^_^

Also, this is connected to the cf hood replacement, but I'd like to do a tasteful body kit on it, but the only one I like is this one

http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-...item4d001978d8

I can only find a couple that fit our cars with the straight front bottom to our hoods. So what I'd like to know is,
4) Can we swap out the hood for the type that partially wraps around the grill and go with the shorter bumper?

Thanks for any info you can give me! Any help is greatly appreciated! =D
okc_car_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #14

vballbwing has a brilliant futurevballbwing has a brilliant futurevballbwing has a brilliant futurevballbwing has a brilliant futurevballbwing has a brilliant futurevballbwing has a brilliant futurevballbwing has a brilliant futurevballbwing has a brilliant futurevballbwing has a brilliant futurevballbwing has a brilliant futurevballbwing has a brilliant future
Not Ranked  0 score     

hate to resurrect an old thread too, but I'm also looking for one, and haven't found too many places selling hoods for an MS6.
vballbwing is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-19-2012, 11:35 PM   #15

mazdaspeed619sd has much to be proud ofmazdaspeed619sd has much to be proud ofmazdaspeed619sd has much to be proud ofmazdaspeed619sd has much to be proud ofmazdaspeed619sd has much to be proud ofmazdaspeed619sd has much to be proud ofmazdaspeed619sd has much to be proud ofmazdaspeed619sd has much to be proud ofmazdaspeed619sd has much to be proud of
Groans: 3
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by vballbwing View Post
hate to resurrect an old thread too, but I'm also looking for one, and haven't found too many places selling hoods for an MS6.

go FMIC and buy a hood for a regular 6. It will fit.

AWD BROTHERS SHALL UNITE!

Boys love straight lines.— Men love curves.— =)— Canyon/Circuit FTW!—

mazdaspeed619sd is offline   Reply With Quote