register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Autosports Area
> Auto-X / Road Racing / Time Attack

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree43Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 12-07-2015, 05:01 AM   #201

cnyms6 is the leader of the worldcnyms6 is the leader of the worldcnyms6 is the leader of the worldcnyms6 is the leader of the worldcnyms6 is the leader of the worldcnyms6 is the leader of the worldcnyms6 is the leader of the worldcnyms6 is the leader of the worldcnyms6 is the leader of the worldcnyms6 is the leader of the worldcnyms6 is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Are you certain of the coolant flow direction through turbo and PTO cooler? I was under the impression the flow was opposite; from PTO to turbo, but I don't remember why I thought that.
Street: Conti DWS 225/50-17 on 17x7 et 45, Track: Nitto NT-05 255/40-17 on Enkei RPF1
137,000 miles of driving fun
cnyms6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-07-2015, 09:20 PM   #202
Bob Ross Fanclub

Tomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the world
Thanked 8,138 Times in 2,321 Posts
Groaned at 33 Times in 19 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yes. I am sure.

MAKE LOVE TO THE CANVAS
Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tomas For This Useful Post:
Mauro_Penguin (12-08-2015)
 Old 12-08-2015, 05:32 AM   #203

cnyms6 is the leader of the worldcnyms6 is the leader of the worldcnyms6 is the leader of the worldcnyms6 is the leader of the worldcnyms6 is the leader of the worldcnyms6 is the leader of the worldcnyms6 is the leader of the worldcnyms6 is the leader of the worldcnyms6 is the leader of the worldcnyms6 is the leader of the worldcnyms6 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks, Guess there's some re-piping in my future
Street: Conti DWS 225/50-17 on 17x7 et 45, Track: Nitto NT-05 255/40-17 on Enkei RPF1
The Following User Says Thank You to cnyms6 For This Useful Post:
Tomas (12-08-2015)
 Old 12-15-2015, 04:54 PM   #204

Ziggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the world
Thanked 10,245 Times in 2,732 Posts
Groans: 6
Groaned at 16 Times in 15 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Not nearly enough colors in those paint drawings to be full homo. Full homo would at least make the return lines from the radiators blue or add some damn arrows.

The way you have it drawn up, the coolant for the oem oil cooler (heater) passes first through the heater core? Useful knowledge if you need help it cool down, except I think there is an error as there is zero flow through the heater core if the heat is off, which would mean there was zero flow through the oil cooler.

As for full homo issues, as long as the return line from the ass cooler runs on the head side of the thermostat, there would be zero issue. If it was so cool that the thermostat wouldn't open, then that means the coolant going into the head is at an acceptable temperature. The return line direct from the thermostat and the return from the oil cooler are both on the head side of the thermostat plate, so I think you have zero issues. That return line from the manifold isn't really meant to flow, its basically a signal line, and the oil cooler loop is intended to flow at all times, regardless of the thermostat being open or closed.
BC Coilovers (-2.5º F, -1º R) \ Saitek Front Endlinks \ SPC Rear Camber Arms \ Hotchkis FSB & RSB
JBR 88 Duro RMM TMM PMM \ COBB AP (Self Tuned) \ EGT \ Oil Pres \ Oil Temp \ DashHawk
Ziggo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ziggo For This Useful Post:
Easter Bunny (12-16-2015), Mauro_Penguin (12-15-2015), Nliiitend1 (12-16-2015), Tomas (12-16-2015), WetzMS3 (12-16-2015), zenit (12-15-2015)
 Old 12-16-2015, 07:12 AM   #205
Bob Ross Fanclub

Tomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the worldTomas is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Ziggo View Post

The way you have it drawn up, the coolant for the oem oil cooler (heater) passes first through the heater core? Useful knowledge if you need help it cool down, except I think there is an error as there is zero flow through the heater core if the heat is off, which would mean there was zero flow through the oil cooler.
When the heater core is of there is no flow through it.
When the heater core is of the coolant for the OEM oil cooler comes from the 3/8" hose on the EGR valve that goes to the turbo, from there to the T-case, and then from there Tees into to the heater return line. So there is very minimal flow through the OEM oil cooler. The coolant from the 3/8" port of the EGR valve is the only coolant that flows through the OEM oil cooler when the heater core is of/not flowing. This is the same for the MS3 with the exception that the MS3 does not have the T-case between the turbo exit port and the Tee on the heater return line.

When the heater core is on then the 5/8" line on the manifold starts flowing through the core, exits and meets the Tee intersection mentioned above where the 3/8" coolant line from the turbo + subsequent T-case meet. From there it's a straight shot to the OEM oil cooler and then the 5/8" port on the T-stat housing. Turning on the heater core increases flow through the OEM oil cooler immensely of course as now you have the full 5/8" line from the manifold going through it.

The T-case has 1/2" ports but both the turbo exit port and the Tee on the return line of the heater core have 3/8". The hose ID from the turbo to the T-case inlet port increases from 3/8" to 1/2" and the hose from the T-case exit port to the Tee on the heater return line decreases from 1/2" to 3/8".

Originally Posted by Ziggo View Post
As for full homo issues, as long as the return line from the ass cooler runs on the head side of the thermostat, there would be zero issue. If it was so cool that the thermostat wouldn't open, then that means the coolant going into the head is at an acceptable temperature. The return line direct from the thermostat and the return from the oil cooler are both on the head side of the thermostat plate, so I think you have zero issues. That return line from the manifold isn't really meant to flow, its basically a signal line, and the oil cooler loop is intended to flow at all times, regardless of the thermostat being open or closed.
Like I mentioned earlier I think you are wrong on the amount of coolant that goes through that "signal line". As explained when the heater core is of and the T-stat is closed, there is only coolant from the 3/8" port exiting the EGR valve + the flow from this 5/8" "signal line" going to the water pump. In other words the water pump is mostly pumping water from the signal line till the T-stat opens. Going by the good ol logic of fluids going the way of least resistance it would stand to reason that there is quite a lot of coolant that goes through the 5/8" "signal line" even when the T-stat is fully open. The way I see it the water pump can run without risk of chocking even at full engine RPM with the 5/8" signal line + the 3/8" EGR line alone.

I will try to improve my drawing for moar clear.

MAKE LOVE TO THE CANVAS

Last edited by Tomas; 12-16-2015 at 07:25 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tomas For This Useful Post:
Mauro_Penguin (12-17-2015)
 Old 12-16-2015, 08:23 AM   #206

Ziggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the world
Thanked 10,245 Times in 2,732 Posts
Groans: 6
Groaned at 16 Times in 15 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I wasn't saying anything about the amount through the signal line, but more it's purpose. It's intended to circulate behind the tstat so that when the coolant hot the tstat will see it. Else you end up with the problem you feared, with a bubble of cold coolant keeping the tstat closed. What I am saying is that if you set it up so that signal line is still intact you should be ok as the temperature and circulation through it would still allow the thermostat to operate like stock.
BC Coilovers (-2.5º F, -1º R) \ Saitek Front Endlinks \ SPC Rear Camber Arms \ Hotchkis FSB & RSB
JBR 88 Duro RMM TMM PMM \ COBB AP (Self Tuned) \ EGT \ Oil Pres \ Oil Temp \ DashHawk
Ziggo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ziggo For This Useful Post:
Mauro_Penguin (12-17-2015), Nliiitend1 (12-16-2015), Tomas (12-16-2015)
 Old 12-27-2015, 08:00 AM   #207
Bob Ross Fanclub

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

It is done.
But I am a lil suspicious.
Usually something fails or doesen't work as intended or I forget something. I must have used 20-30 clamps in total for all the connections + all the soldering of the copper tubing and there doesen't seem to be a single leak anywhere.

Coolant temps as measured by the stock sensor on the manifold by the head indicate a 15-20 degree temp drop about 6-8 seconds after opening the solenoid and engaging the pump. I installed individual switches for both but I think I will merge them into one. I already flipped the pump switch before the solenoid one by mistake and thats poo poo.

The riser in me couldn't resist taking out the parking reflectors and installing some mesh. For teh fastz you know. Thats what I am telling me self.

MAKE LOVE TO THE CANVAS
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tomas For This Useful Post:
802MS3 (01-01-2016), brandon3212 (12-27-2015), btstarcher (12-27-2015), Code Monkey (12-27-2015), Crarrs (12-29-2015), Enki (12-27-2015), Mauro_Penguin (12-28-2015), Nliiitend1 (12-29-2015), phate (12-27-2015)
 Old 12-27-2015, 08:05 AM   #208
Raider is mah Homie

Easter Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the world
Thanked 14,694 Times in 4,613 Posts
Groans: 2,978
Groaned at 94 Times in 82 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Uhh I dont know that I would use copper tubing like that. Its so thin that if it flexes at all anywhere it will quickly fatigue and split. I would use plastic or rubber.

I hugged rfinkle2
Easter Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Easter Bunny For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (12-27-2015)
 Old 12-27-2015, 08:11 AM   #209
Bob Ross Fanclub

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Are you shitting me?

MAKE LOVE TO THE CANVAS
 Old 12-27-2015, 09:38 AM   #210

Enki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the world
Thanked 19,287 Times in 4,841 Posts
Groans: 189
Groaned at 40 Times in 36 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Looks like he's gonna find out. Lol

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/signaturepics/sigpic1981_1.gif
Enki is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-27-2015, 09:51 AM   #211

Etipp98 is the leader of the worldEtipp98 is the leader of the worldEtipp98 is the leader of the worldEtipp98 is the leader of the worldEtipp98 is the leader of the worldEtipp98 is the leader of the worldEtipp98 is the leader of the worldEtipp98 is the leader of the worldEtipp98 is the leader of the worldEtipp98 is the leader of the worldEtipp98 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,716 Times in 781 Posts
Groans: 17
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Copper lines are used on the MR2 to go under the body to the heater core in the front and those usually have to be replaced due to stress on them. My car just has heater hose running the whole way now.

I also do diesel gear swaps hit me up for more info.
Etipp98 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-27-2015, 11:30 AM   #212

blackms3_71 is the leader of the worldblackms3_71 is the leader of the worldblackms3_71 is the leader of the worldblackms3_71 is the leader of the worldblackms3_71 is the leader of the worldblackms3_71 is the leader of the worldblackms3_71 is the leader of the worldblackms3_71 is the leader of the worldblackms3_71 is the leader of the worldblackms3_71 is the leader of the worldblackms3_71 is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 15 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
It is done.
But I am a lil suspicious.
Usually something fails or doesen't work as intended or I forget something. I must have used 20-30 clamps in total for all the connections + all the soldering of the copper tubing and there doesen't seem to be a single leak anywhere.

Coolant temps as measured by the stock sensor on the manifold by the head indicate a 15-20 degree temp drop about 6-8 seconds after opening the solenoid and engaging the pump. I installed individual switches for both but I think I will merge them into one. I already flipped the pump switch before the solenoid one by mistake and thats poo poo.

The riser in me couldn't resist taking out the parking reflectors and installing some mesh. For teh fastz you know. Thats what I am telling me self.

This is nuts.... Do you already have the sp63 fan controller? Pretty nice to see 8 degree drop. What if u left the system on all the time? I would guess coolant would stay to cold?
COBB ACCESSPORT//TURBOXS CATLESS DP+RACEPIPE//3 BAR MAP//3.5" HTP INTAKE//NGK 1 STEP COLDER PLUGS//HKS CATBACK//AUTOTECH INTERNALS//COBB FMIC V2.0//HKS BOV BLACK EDITION IN VTA//RPF1 17x9//pilot super sport 245/45/17//ACT 6 PUCK//M.D OCC VTA//TOKAY SEALS//BNR S4//Hypnotic tuned
blackms3_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-27-2015, 11:43 AM   #213

Code Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the world
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,847 Posts
Groaned at 32 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

2017 Subaru BRZ
MCS TT1 coilovers|Brembo BBK|6UL 17x9|Trofeo R|ACE 350|flex fuel|Delicious tuned

Last edited by Code Monkey; 12-27-2015 at 03:05 PM.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Code Monkey For This Useful Post:
btstarcher (12-27-2015), Easter Bunny (12-28-2015), Enki (12-27-2015), Mauro_Penguin (12-28-2015)
 Old 12-27-2015, 12:38 PM   #214

Enki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the worldEnki is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
Don't quote the fucking pictures, asshole!!!!!!
You need to kick yourself in the dick for that last post.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enki For This Useful Post:
blackms3_71 (12-27-2015), Code Monkey (12-27-2015)
 Old 12-27-2015, 02:03 PM   #215

blackms3_71 is the leader of the worldblackms3_71 is the leader of the worldblackms3_71 is the leader of the worldblackms3_71 is the leader of the worldblackms3_71 is the leader of the worldblackms3_71 is the leader of the worldblackms3_71 is the leader of the worldblackms3_71 is the leader of the worldblackms3_71 is the leader of the worldblackms3_71 is the leader of the worldblackms3_71 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Don't quote the fucking pictures, asshole!!!!!!

I knew someone would be happy about that.
COBB ACCESSPORT//TURBOXS CATLESS DP+RACEPIPE//3 BAR MAP//3.5" HTP INTAKE//NGK 1 STEP COLDER PLUGS//HKS CATBACK//AUTOTECH INTERNALS//COBB FMIC V2.0//HKS BOV BLACK EDITION IN VTA//RPF1 17x9//pilot super sport 245/45/17//ACT 6 PUCK//M.D OCC VTA//TOKAY SEALS//BNR S4//Hypnotic tuned

Last edited by MS3Shadow; 12-27-2015 at 06:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to blackms3_71 For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (12-27-2015)
 Old 12-27-2015, 02:06 PM   #216
Raider is mah Homie

Easter Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Are you shitting me?
Unfortunately im serious bunny today.

Also fucke everyone for quoting all the pictures.

I hugged rfinkle2

Last edited by Easter Bunny; 12-27-2015 at 02:06 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Easter Bunny For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (12-27-2015), Enki (12-27-2015), Mauro_Penguin (12-28-2015)
 Old 12-27-2015, 02:56 PM   #217

Not Ranked  0 score     

Seriously @Code Monkey;, fix your post. Don't shit in this thread.
Edit: You too, @blackms3_71;.

Code Monkey (12-27-2015), Easter Bunny (12-28-2015)
 Old 12-27-2015, 03:55 PM   #218

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Enki View Post

I had asked serious questions. I forgot to delete the picture part of the quote. My apologies.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blackms3_71 For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (12-27-2015), Easter Bunny (12-28-2015), Enki (12-27-2015)
 Old 12-27-2015, 04:14 PM   #219

Not Ranked  0 score     

The initial temp drop is probably from all the cold water still in the rad/piping btw. I'm curious to see how it does open full time and daily driving around. With the tstat, the temp should still climb when sitting, but probably go up a bit slower.
blackms3_71 likes this.

Easter Bunny (12-28-2015), Voltwings (12-29-2015)
 Old 12-27-2015, 08:04 PM   #220
Bob Ross Fanclub

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by blackms3_71 View Post
This is nuts.... Do you already have the sp63 fan controller? Pretty nice to see 8 degree drop. What if u left the system on all the time? I would guess coolant would stay to cold?
I do have the SP63 controller my dear.
Why would I leave the system on all the time?

Originally Posted by Easter Bunny View Post
Unfortunately im serious bunny today.
I am not using hose or plastic tubing for pipes that are exposed to the underbody of the car. And the amount of cycles for that copper tubing to fatigue is pretty big.

I have a thing for people shitting on things so let them go at it. Thanks for your vigilance nevertheless.

The initial temp drop is probably from all the cold water still in the rad/piping btw. I'm curious to see how it does open full time and daily driving around. With the tstat, the temp should still climb when sitting, but probably go up a bit slower.
That is exactly what happens when sitting.

MAKE LOVE TO THE CANVAS
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tomas For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (12-27-2015), Enki (12-27-2015), Mauro_Penguin (12-28-2015)
 Old 12-27-2015, 08:08 PM   #221

Not Ranked  0 score     

I have a thing for people shitting on things so let them go at it.
*Triggering intensifies*

The Following User Says Thank You to Enki For This Useful Post:
Tomas (12-28-2015)
 Old 12-27-2015, 08:18 PM   #222

ButtholeRedMS3 is the leader of the worldButtholeRedMS3 is the leader of the worldButtholeRedMS3 is the leader of the worldButtholeRedMS3 is the leader of the worldButtholeRedMS3 is the leader of the worldButtholeRedMS3 is the leader of the worldButtholeRedMS3 is the leader of the worldButtholeRedMS3 is the leader of the worldButtholeRedMS3 is the leader of the worldButtholeRedMS3 is the leader of the worldButtholeRedMS3 is the leader of the world
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I just wanted to interject a hearty, warm thank you to @Tomas; for naming this thread appropriately so everytime I get a notification it says Dildo Blitz in large letters across my phone. Had a few people give me some odd looks over the holidays and I had some explaining to do. Awesome build so far though, man.

2010 VRM MS3 Tech - Sold
ButtholeRedMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ButtholeRedMS3 For This Useful Post:
Easter Bunny (12-28-2015), Enki (12-27-2015), Mauro_Penguin (12-28-2015), Tomas (12-28-2015)
 Old 12-28-2015, 05:22 AM   #223
Raider is mah Homie

Not Ranked  0 score     

I am not using hose or plastic tubing for pipes that are exposed to the underbody of the car. And the amount of cycles for that copper tubing to fatigue is pretty big.
Is it standard copper plumbing pipe or did I miss something? I have recently ripped all of the old hot water baseboard heating and associated copper plumbing out of the house. The shit is not that sturdy

You at least need to support the shit out of it like every 12 inches with one of those rubber lined clamps.

I hugged rfinkle2
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Easter Bunny For This Useful Post:
Crarrs (12-29-2015), Mauro_Penguin (12-28-2015), Tomas (12-28-2015)
 Old 12-28-2015, 05:35 AM   #224

Mauro_Penguin is the leader of the worldMauro_Penguin is the leader of the worldMauro_Penguin is the leader of the worldMauro_Penguin is the leader of the worldMauro_Penguin is the leader of the worldMauro_Penguin is the leader of the worldMauro_Penguin is the leader of the worldMauro_Penguin is the leader of the worldMauro_Penguin is the leader of the worldMauro_Penguin is the leader of the worldMauro_Penguin is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,946 Times in 1,242 Posts
Groans: 168
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Did you have to ground the rear aux radiator or copper tubing due to the additional capacity, or is electrolysis not really a concern?

Either way nice job on everything!

-Delray/Grieco Mazda or Direct Auto Body, ask me why you should NOT take your car to either.
-It is more fun to drive a slow car fast, than it is to drive a fast car slow
Mauro_Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mauro_Penguin For This Useful Post:
Easter Bunny (12-28-2015), Tomas (12-28-2015)
 Old 12-28-2015, 06:38 AM   #225
Bob Ross Fanclub

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Easter Bunny View Post
Is it standard copper plumbing pipe or did I miss something? I have recently ripped all of the old hot water baseboard heating and associated copper plumbing out of the house. The shit is not that sturdy

You at least need to support the shit out of it like every 12 inches with one of those rubber lined clamps.
The copper pipe is an ubotanium alloy washed with anti fatigue detergent and coated in fairy dust.
Yes its just home depot copper tubing.
No I don't think it needs to be secured every 12". It sits sturdy enough as is. If it fails then I guess I will learn my lesson the hard way but I have a little bit of experience on fatigue and creep induced failures from work and I am certain it will hold just fine till I get my SS checks in the mail.

As far as plastic tubing. See how Porsche fared with that on the Cayenne.

Originally Posted by Mauro_Penguin View Post
Did you have to ground the rear aux radiator or copper tubing due to the additional capacity, or is electrolysis not really a concern?

Either way nice job on everything!
The rad is not grounded. The copper tubing is.
The electrolysis could be a concern.
Guess may be I should measure it someday.

Originally Posted by ButtholeRedMS3 View Post
I just wanted to interject a hearty, warm thank you to @Tomas; for naming this thread appropriately so everytime I get a notification it says Dildo Blitz in large letters across my phone. Had a few people give me some odd looks over the holidays and I had some explaining to do. Awesome build so far though, man.
This is good to know.
My next build thread will be titled "How Does Your Anus Feel Today?" or "The Penicilin your ordered for your Chlamydia infection is ready for pick up"
I'd like to see you explain those.
Mauro_Penguin likes this.

MAKE LOVE TO THE CANVAS

Last edited by Tomas; 12-28-2015 at 06:44 AM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tomas For This Useful Post:
brandon3212 (12-29-2015), ButtholeRedMS3 (12-28-2015), Code Monkey (12-28-2015), Crarrs (12-29-2015), Dano (12-28-2015), Easter Bunny (12-28-2015), Mauro_Penguin (12-28-2015), Nliiitend1 (12-29-2015)
 Old 12-28-2015, 07:48 AM   #226
Trail of Fail

Dano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the world
Thanked 19,248 Times in 6,532 Posts
Groans: 37
Groaned at 25 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Since we're using home building plumbing materials on the race car, here's one word

Pex

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-linked_polyethylene

That's gold Jerry.

and be done with it and rest assured no Cayenne type issues.

...or just plain ole heater hose.

07 Red MS3 GT - E40 - Carrillo Rods - Wiseco Pistons - BSD - JBR 3.5 WidePath - ATP GTX3071 - Forge BPV - GA - Cobb v2 FMIC - CPE EM - CPE DP - CNT CBE - APv3 - Grim EBC - PERM dual port PCV plate - Dano dual OCC - CPE CDFP - Labonte S2 WMI - ACT Street Kit - SUv2 RMM - SU TM - "Stiffy" MM - DG CF wing ext, skirts & front lip - Hotchkis RSB/FSB w PowerGrid Links - Koni FSDs - DBA SX4000 Rotors - Hawk Pads - Silver OZ Ultraleggera - 235/40/18 NT-01
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dano For This Useful Post:
Easter Bunny (12-28-2015), Tomas (12-28-2015)
 Old 12-28-2015, 08:00 AM   #227
Bob Ross Fanclub

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Polyethylene or Polyvinyl. I would not use either on an automotive system.
Also keep in mind that the copper tubes provide additional heat dissipation.

MAKE LOVE TO THE CANVAS
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tomas For This Useful Post:
Easter Bunny (12-28-2015), Enki (12-28-2015), Mauro_Penguin (12-28-2015)
 Old 12-28-2015, 08:17 AM   #228
Trail of Fail

Dano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the world
Thanked 19,248 Times in 6,532 Posts
Groans: 37
Groaned at 25 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

fair enough...

although I don't have direct knowledge from the plumbing aspect of it, but I believe Pex is used in radiant heating systems as well as general plumbing applications. In those systems they use antifreeze which I would think is similar to an automotive application.

BTW, I could be completely wrong though

edit: propylene glycol for radiant heat systems.

07 Red MS3 GT - E40 - Carrillo Rods - Wiseco Pistons - BSD - JBR 3.5 WidePath - ATP GTX3071 - Forge BPV - GA - Cobb v2 FMIC - CPE EM - CPE DP - CNT CBE - APv3 - Grim EBC - PERM dual port PCV plate - Dano dual OCC - CPE CDFP - Labonte S2 WMI - ACT Street Kit - SUv2 RMM - SU TM - "Stiffy" MM - DG CF wing ext, skirts & front lip - Hotchkis RSB/FSB w PowerGrid Links - Koni FSDs - DBA SX4000 Rotors - Hawk Pads - Silver OZ Ultraleggera - 235/40/18 NT-01
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dano For This Useful Post:
Tomas (12-29-2015)
 Old 12-28-2015, 08:39 AM   #229

Not Ranked  0 score     

Glanced through the Wikipedia article you posted on Pex @Dano;, it says that exposure to sunlight causes it to become brittle in as little as 30 days, tends to get eaten by a specific insect, and has some kind of issue with oxygen transportation through the surface (causes rust on iron parts if an oxygen barrier is not used).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enki For This Useful Post:
Dano (12-28-2015), Easter Bunny (12-28-2015), Mauro_Penguin (12-28-2015), Tomas (12-28-2015)
 Old 12-28-2015, 08:43 AM   #230
Bob Ross Fanclub

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I don't know what type of thermoplast Porsche used on the Cayenne. But it was probably something that was supposed to hold up pretty well.
And it didn't.
All Turbo Cayenne's got a recall to change the pipes over to aluminum.

MAKE LOVE TO THE CANVAS
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tomas For This Useful Post:
Easter Bunny (12-28-2015), Mauro_Penguin (12-28-2015)
 Old 12-28-2015, 03:17 PM   #231

Not Ranked  0 score     

Wow, cool craftsmanship and solutions as usual in my favorite thread. I support your selection of copper tubing. In K or L alloys it's pretty tough stuff. The joints would be the weak link imho and assume you used silver solder so that's also pretty tough.

One functional question though...how does the air flow through the radiator? All I see are the three small meshed holes and I can't imagine that's enough, even with the serious negative pressure behind the car at speed.

Looking forward to track results.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cnyms6 For This Useful Post:
Enki (12-28-2015), Mauro_Penguin (12-29-2015), Tomas (12-29-2015)
 Old 12-29-2015, 06:37 AM   #232
Bob Ross Fanclub

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

There isnt much airflow through the rear rad unfortunately. You are right those three holes aren't going to do that much but I didn't want to go full homo just yet with a full bumper diffuser like below. If I don't see enough of a temperature drop at the track then I can always drill more holes and install small fans. There is enough space between the rad and the bumper for some extractor type SPAL fans.

And yes, joints are silver soldered.

MAKE LOVE TO THE CANVAS
 Old 12-29-2015, 08:40 AM   #233

Not Ranked  0 score     

You consider getting the radiator coated with a heat rejection coating? Might be good for a degree or two.

Tomas (12-29-2015)
 Old 12-29-2015, 11:17 AM   #234
Bob Ross Fanclub

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah. A few degree aren't gonna cut it.
If this does not work then more holes. Then fans. If still doesnt work than I wil get a bigger rad. Fluidyne makes one that will fit for about $450 or so.

MAKE LOVE TO THE CANVAS
 Old 12-29-2015, 11:21 AM   #235

Code Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

With all that effort and money, just make your own v-mount setup....

2017 Subaru BRZ
MCS TT1 coilovers|Brembo BBK|6UL 17x9|Trofeo R|ACE 350|flex fuel|Delicious tuned
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Code Monkey For This Useful Post:
Easter Bunny (12-29-2015), Tomas (12-29-2015)
 Old 12-29-2015, 01:20 PM   #236
Bob Ross Fanclub

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

yeah thats another option.
Or some type of shrouds.

MAKE LOVE TO THE CANVAS
 Old 12-29-2015, 01:25 PM   #237

Not Ranked  0 score     

Spray coolant directly on the radiator for more evaporative cooling.

Tomas (12-29-2015)
 Old 12-29-2015, 01:26 PM   #238
Bob Ross Fanclub

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

or piss.

MAKE LOVE TO THE CANVAS
 Old 12-29-2015, 02:17 PM   #239

Mauro_Penguin is the leader of the worldMauro_Penguin is the leader of the worldMauro_Penguin is the leader of the worldMauro_Penguin is the leader of the worldMauro_Penguin is the leader of the worldMauro_Penguin is the leader of the worldMauro_Penguin is the leader of the worldMauro_Penguin is the leader of the worldMauro_Penguin is the leader of the worldMauro_Penguin is the leader of the worldMauro_Penguin is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,946 Times in 1,242 Posts
Groans: 168
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

You could modify a penis pump to route pee to the rear radiator and make your track car smell like a porta-potty. You would also be lighter by a few grams with every lap, so win win.

Shrouding is probably the easiest. Get a flat sheet and bend it like a scoop to the floor, then seal off the sides, unless you're low enough to not get any air flow under the car at all. In which case you could maybe do some fancy side scoop on the driver side (at the risk of looking mexican as hell) to take advantage of all the available room that is still on that side of the rear radiator.

-Delray/Grieco Mazda or Direct Auto Body, ask me why you should NOT take your car to either.
-It is more fun to drive a slow car fast, than it is to drive a fast car slow
Mauro_Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mauro_Penguin For This Useful Post:
Tomas (12-29-2015)
 Old 12-29-2015, 08:15 PM   #240

Not Ranked  0 score     

NACA ducts somewhere on the side and flex hose (like for cooling brakes) that goes to the shrouded radiator?

2017 Subaru BRZ
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Code Monkey For This Useful Post:
Mauro_Penguin (12-30-2015), Tomas (12-29-2015)

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f233/dildo-blitz-169330/
Posted By For Type Date
Reedy's Engine Rebuild Bonanza! - Page 20 Post #87 Pingback 03-04-2015 10:07 PM