register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Autosports Area
> Auto-X / Road Racing / Time Attack

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jonb82

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 08-31-2017, 10:49 AM   #1

da johnny boy will become famous soon enoughda johnny boy will become famous soon enough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Downpipe recommendation for autocross

I'm pulling the turbo to fix the broken downpipe studs, so and it should be easy to do the downpipe while the turbo is removed. I'm trying to decide what to buy to either stay STX legal, or to switch to DSP, and therefore whether I need a cat or not. I mostly autocross my STR prepped Miata, so I'm not building the speed to be competitive. In my club, I run a PAX indexed class, so I can swap around cars and have that still count for the season standings. Or I can always just run the speed in a different club since it will not be competitive in STX or DSP.

Right now I have 17x9 wheels with 245 RE-71rs, a rear swaybar, deresonated midpipe, intake, HPFP, and e40 tune. If I ran STX, I'd just run 93 with stock boost tables. If I ran DSP, I could keep everything the same, and additionally, just run no cats. I don't want to spend much money. I'd probably go for one of the nicer high flow catted downpipes if I could find one used, but I my budget is around $200. If I did keep a cat, I'm not sure whether the better way to go is to eliminate the upstream or downstream cat.

What do you guys think about these options? I'm personally leaning towards option 4 or 5 with the ebay long downpipe.
  1. STX - High flow catted downpipe with either the OEM catted test pipe or a catless test pipe
  2. STX - Catless downpipe with OEM catted test pipe or High flow catted testpipe
  3. STX - Long catted downpipe
  4. STX - Long catless downpipe and add a high flow cat (I'd probably just use band clamps instead of welding)
  5. DSP - Long catless downpipe
da johnny boy is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-02-2017, 03:56 PM   #2

Reedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I've had a CP-e DP for a few years now and the core of the CAT failed after only a couple of years worth of track days. We cut it out and welded in a new one and that's just recently failed on me as well, to the point where the core has fallen down into the pipe and destroyed my rear O2 sensor.

I am swapping that out to a Cobb DP once my new turbo arrives. I have no idea if it will last any better than the Cp-e one did but I guess my main point is, if you're gonna go cheap ebay shit, don't get a CAT.
Reedy is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-02-2017, 05:37 PM   #3

Code Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the world
Thanked 9,704 Times in 3,819 Posts
Groans: 17
Groaned at 32 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Catted or catless, get a v-band DP and you will hopefully never have to deal again with broken DP to turbo studs.

2000 E39 M5

2001 MR2 2ZZ

2017 Subaru BRZ
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Code Monkey For This Useful Post:
Pu Manchu (09-02-2017)
 Old 09-12-2017, 02:19 PM   #4

da johnny boy will become famous soon enoughda johnny boy will become famous soon enough
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
I've had a CP-e DP for a few years now and the core of the CAT failed after only a couple of years worth of track days. We cut it out and welded in a new one and that's just recently failed on me as well, to the point where the core has fallen down into the pipe and destroyed my rear O2 sensor.

I am swapping that out to a Cobb DP once my new turbo arrives. I have no idea if it will last any better than the Cp-e one did but I guess my main point is, if you're gonna go cheap ebay shit, don't get a CAT.
Haha, I wouldn't think of getting cheap cat from ebay. I don't know much about DIY exhaust parts, but I was looking at Vibrant, Magnaflow, or Flowmaster for high flow cats to add to the catless ebay downpipe.

Was the cat you replaced a metal core or a ceramic core? And do you know the brand? Looks like the stock CP-e DP has a metal core cat.

@Code Monkey, but wouldn't I still need an adapter from the stock K04 turbo discharge to attach a v-band flange?
da johnny boy is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-12-2017, 07:37 PM   #5

Code Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the world
Thanked 9,704 Times in 3,819 Posts
Groans: 17
Groaned at 32 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yes, but the adapter is really short so it is super easy to install it on the turbo as you have easier access to all the five studs, Mazdaspeed6 example here. Then you simply connect the rest of the DP via v-band.

2000 E39 M5

2001 MR2 2ZZ

2017 Subaru BRZ
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-13-2017, 02:53 AM   #6

Reedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the world
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by da johnny boy View Post
Haha, I wouldn't think of getting cheap cat from ebay. I don't know much about DIY exhaust parts, but I was looking at Vibrant, Magnaflow, or Flowmaster for high flow cats to add to the catless ebay downpipe.

Was the cat you replaced a metal core or a ceramic core? And do you know the brand? Looks like the stock CP-e DP has a metal core cat.

@Code Monkey, but wouldn't I still need an adapter from the stock K04 turbo discharge to attach a v-band flange?
The original cat was a ceramic core, not sure what they use now but that DP was purchased back in 2010. The one we replaced it with was a metal core, which lasted longer but still failed eventually.
Reedy is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-11-2017, 04:38 PM   #7

Shottachris is infamous around these partsShottachris is infamous around these partsShottachris is infamous around these partsShottachris is infamous around these partsShottachris is infamous around these partsShottachris is infamous around these partsShottachris is infamous around these partsShottachris is infamous around these partsShottachris is infamous around these partsShottachris is infamous around these partsShottachris is infamous around these parts
Groaned at 63 Times in 26 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Nice

2011 speed 3 GT daily driver
Mods: big turbo , fuel internals , sure short shifter , forge BOV , FMIC , JBR motor mounts all around , BC coil overs , staggered advan wheels 18 x9.5 25+ offset front 18x 10.5 15+ offset rear , 3in catless down pipe , occ , Custom 3inch intake , Cobb strut bar ,Cobb v3 ,vtcs delete stock intake mani ,
Shottachris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say NO Thank You to Shottachris For This Un-useful Post:
Pu Manchu (10-11-2017), zenit (10-12-2017)
 Old 10-11-2017, 04:48 PM   #8

monkey.bones.007 is the leader of the worldmonkey.bones.007 is the leader of the worldmonkey.bones.007 is the leader of the worldmonkey.bones.007 is the leader of the worldmonkey.bones.007 is the leader of the worldmonkey.bones.007 is the leader of the worldmonkey.bones.007 is the leader of the worldmonkey.bones.007 is the leader of the worldmonkey.bones.007 is the leader of the worldmonkey.bones.007 is the leader of the worldmonkey.bones.007 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,440 Times in 1,929 Posts
Groans: 98
Groaned at 296 Times in 73 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Shottachris View Post
Nice
Shit posting for a reason or just trying to build your post count to look like you contribute?

crapatalk it sucks for free
monkey.bones.007 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-12-2017, 01:35 PM   #9

Jonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the world
Groaned at 24 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by monkey.bones.007 View Post
Shit posting for a reason or just trying to build your post count to look like you contribute?

crapatalk it sucks for free

Nice

Sent while probably pooping
PlatinumCore16 likes this.
CS TIP/SRI CS RMM CS Sexy Steering Wheel CS Springs & Struts CS Shirt Throw Shifter CS Shifter Bushings CS TBE CS Boost Tubes CP-e TMIC HKS BOV in resirc DM Vented OCC DM TMM DM PMM DM SSP Autotech Internals Custom E33 Freaktune
Jonb82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonb82 For This Useful Post:
monkey.bones.007 (10-12-2017)
 Old 10-13-2017, 11:17 AM   #10

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Jonb82 View Post
Nice

Sent while probably pooping
Ditto
eBay Stage 1 OCC, DM RMM & Stage 2 OCC
Puppy Power tuning temporarily suspended.
Other rides:
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD - Parts Getter
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken (since Christmas 2015)
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So, in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, SRI, TBE, 20psi, OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44)
1985 Camaro - Sold (265hp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote

« Toyota MR2 Spyder | - »