register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Miata MX-5
> Miata - Engine Conversions

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree8Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 04-21-2017, 11:30 AM   #1

mituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,183 Posts
Groans: 101
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default 2.3DISI-fTw in an MX5

So I'm going to have a spare engine from my 3MPS (Mazdaspeed3 gen1) and instead of throwing it in a dark and cold storage I thought I could throw it in an MX5.
Of course I may need to fabricate some adapter rings for the transmission, fabricate some motor mounts to mount it transversely, possibly alter the manifolds and clock the turbo (or fit a mirrored turbo), but I thought I'd find more info about what the challenges may be and didn't really find anything.

So do you guys have any knowledge about anyone who did this or at least attempted it and failed, so that I can at least chase that thought away and try something else instead?

Thank you!
Bilstein B12 + CS Camber plates + Eibach camber arms, SSR Type-F, Michelin PSS 225/40/R18, Cobb RMM, StopTech Street Pads + Stoptech Slotted disks, SouthBend ENduro Stage3 clutch, genpu TMM + CS Insert, TheSpeedLine 2X Rear Cross Floor and Rear Middle Lower Strut bars, Tanabe 4 Point Under Brace, Whiteline Bumpsteeer corection kit
JBR Tru-3" + CS CAI Box, SU TMIC, Cobb XLE, NGK LTR7IX, UR v3 catted DP and res TP, Cobb CatBack, GS EBCS, Autotech internals, GTX3071, CS 3.5BAR, Guardian Angel, CoolingMist WMI
SP63 87.5mm 4032 9.5:1 pistons, Manley rods, CA625+ head studs, Clevite AL main bearings, King rod bearings, CP-e safe seals, DCR VVT, Koyorad radiator.
StratiVersaTuned FTW
mituc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mituc For This Useful Post:
markos213 (04-21-2017), mazdakaps (05-17-2017), MSMS3 (05-06-2017), Yamahafreak (05-11-2017), [R]usty (04-21-2017)
 Old 04-21-2017, 11:35 AM   #2

[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,248 Times in 819 Posts
Groans: 78
Groaned at 14 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

OMG do it! So much better than an LS swap.
Aztec(h) likes this.

Cobb AP V3JBR Tru 3" Wide PathJBR Boost Tubes & BPV HoseCobb XLE BPVCP-E TMIC ║ UR Racepipe ║ Magnaflow CBEAutoTech InternalsGrimmSpeed EBCS ║ JBR RSBSPC Camber ArmsKW V3 CoiloversJBR IM+TB TIGs & TB BypassJBR SSPE - Focus RMMStopTech Slotted Rotors and EBC Yellow Stuff PadsTechna-Fit SS Brake Lines

[R]usty is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-21-2017, 11:35 AM   #3
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,796 Times in 2,648 Posts
Groans: 1,777
Groaned at 43 Times in 24 Posts

You'll have to modify the firewall to create enough room for the CDFP, and you may well find that the head is too tall to fit beneath the hood without modification. You will also likely have to run a custom ECU.

Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-21-2017, 12:23 PM   #4

mituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Modifying the hood a bit or even getting a custom fiberglass one should not be a real problem. Neither backporting a 3/6MPS or CX7 instrument cluster with the imobilizer and ECU and the right harness. However, a custom ECU may be an even cheaper solution, I don't know yet, I'm still in that stage when a random idea hit me at the end of the week.
I guess the firewall has to be kinked a bit no matter what larger engine goes in there, right?
Bilstein B12 + CS Camber plates + Eibach camber arms, SSR Type-F, Michelin PSS 225/40/R18, Cobb RMM, StopTech Street Pads + Stoptech Slotted disks, SouthBend ENduro Stage3 clutch, genpu TMM + CS Insert, TheSpeedLine 2X Rear Cross Floor and Rear Middle Lower Strut bars, Tanabe 4 Point Under Brace, Whiteline Bumpsteeer corection kit
JBR Tru-3" + CS CAI Box, SU TMIC, Cobb XLE, NGK LTR7IX, UR v3 catted DP and res TP, Cobb CatBack, GS EBCS, Autotech internals, GTX3071, CS 3.5BAR, Guardian Angel, CoolingMist WMI
SP63 87.5mm 4032 9.5:1 pistons, Manley rods, CA625+ head studs, Clevite AL main bearings, King rod bearings, CP-e safe seals, DCR VVT, Koyorad radiator.
StratiVersaTuned FTW
The Following User Says NO Thank You to mituc For This Un-useful Post:
Vansquish (05-15-2017)
 Old 04-21-2017, 12:46 PM   #5

Mazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,670 Times in 1,832 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 21 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Okay, first things first. What gen miata are you talking about?

2006 Mazdaspeed6 GT Crystal White Pearl #07141

Damond Motorsports = PS Cooler - RMM - PMM - OCC
VersaTuner = Versatune
Clutchmasters = 850 Street Twindisk
Corksport = RDM - CBE - RSB - TMM Insert
Turbine Tech = Forward Diff Mount - FMM
CP-e = Exhaust Manifold - Injector Seals
PTE = JB 5862
JMF = Intake Manifold w/Custom PI
Kozmic = Downpipe - 6th Port - EGR Delete
Forge = V2 BPV
Tial = 44mm WG
Autotech = HPFP Internals
HTP = 4" Intake - Battery Tray
Bilstein = B6 Shocks w/Eibach springs
Grimmspeed = EBCS
Technafit = SS Brake Lines - SS Clutch Line
Enkei = EVOX GSR 18x8.5 +38 - NT03+M 17x9.5 +38
Custom = FMIC w/TR1035 - Shifter Cables - Shifter Bushings
Mazdazilla6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-21-2017, 01:20 PM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Mazdazilla6 View Post
Okay, first things first. What gen miata are you talking about?
At this point I have no idea. I just want one with a hard top. The NBs have more rust, the NCs are harder to find cheap for an engine swap and probably have the engine compartment a bit narrower. So probably (but not necessarily) NA.
StratiVersaTuned FTW
 Old 04-21-2017, 01:22 PM   #7

MSP6 is the leader of the worldMSP6 is the leader of the worldMSP6 is the leader of the worldMSP6 is the leader of the worldMSP6 is the leader of the worldMSP6 is the leader of the worldMSP6 is the leader of the worldMSP6 is the leader of the worldMSP6 is the leader of the worldMSP6 is the leader of the worldMSP6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,601 Times in 600 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

The gay one.

Enki - "High mixes of corn = all the wastegate all the time for great justice."
MSP6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-21-2017, 02:59 PM   #8

Mazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,670 Times in 1,832 Posts
Groaned at 21 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by mituc View Post
At this point I have no idea. I just want one with a hard top. The NBs have more rust, the NCs are harder to find cheap for an engine swap and probably have the engine compartment a bit narrower. So probably (but not necessarily) NA.
In my experience (I've owned 3) NAs are the worst with rust but are the cheapest. The engine bay is pretty much identical between the NA and NB. The NC would hands down make the easiest swap since they already have mzr engines in them so the speed engine already bolts right up to the trans and engine mounts. You'd just have to figure out the exhaust, intake and firewall. You will have a hell of a harder time fitting it in an NA or NB.

Also, hardtops are the most expensive part of a miata.

2006 Mazdaspeed6 GT Crystal White Pearl #07141

Damond Motorsports = PS Cooler - RMM - PMM - OCC
VersaTuner = Versatune
Clutchmasters = 850 Street Twindisk
Corksport = RDM - CBE - RSB - TMM Insert
Turbine Tech = Forward Diff Mount - FMM
CP-e = Exhaust Manifold - Injector Seals
PTE = JB 5862
JMF = Intake Manifold w/Custom PI
Kozmic = Downpipe - 6th Port - EGR Delete
Forge = V2 BPV
Tial = 44mm WG
Autotech = HPFP Internals
HTP = 4" Intake - Battery Tray
Bilstein = B6 Shocks w/Eibach springs
Grimmspeed = EBCS
Technafit = SS Brake Lines - SS Clutch Line
Enkei = EVOX GSR 18x8.5 +38 - NT03+M 17x9.5 +38
Custom = FMIC w/TR1035 - Shifter Cables - Shifter Bushings
Mazdazilla6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazdazilla6 For This Useful Post:
mituc (04-21-2017)
 Old 04-21-2017, 05:52 PM   #9

sheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the world
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

This sounds like such a great idea. Big hp with a light engine and car, the mazda version of a cobra.

I was thinking about putting a 3.5 ecoboost in a old mustang.... but read some dealership out in the boonies is doing it. Same principle.
 Old 04-21-2017, 11:57 PM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Mazdazilla6 View Post
Also, hardtops are the most expensive part of a miata.
Yeah, I know, I simply don't like open tops, so the cabin will have to stay closed all the time.

Ok, once I will finish rebuilding my engine I will start looking into an NC shell. Thanks for the advice!
StratiVersaTuned FTW
The Following User Says Thank You to mituc For This Useful Post:
Mazdazilla6 (04-22-2017)
 Old 04-22-2017, 08:15 AM   #11

Voltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,544 Times in 2,154 Posts
Groans: 11
Groaned at 38 Times in 18 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by sheston View Post
This sounds like such a great idea. Big hp with a light engine and car, the mazda version of a cobra.

I was thinking about putting a 3.5 ecoboost in a old mustang.... but read some dealership out in the boonies is doing it. Same principle.
AJ Hartman Racing put one in a SN95. Click back to the "Blog" for more articles than the one i linked:

The Little Engine That Could...Almost - AJ Hartman Racing

I would also suggest the NC miata.
-Mustang 5.0 450 whp / 352 wtq
-Sold-

Current:
2012 Loaded Speed3 - Stock
2001 Miata - Basically stock

... Something, somewhere, went horribly wrong.

Fastest gtx3576 powered, 6th port injected, 25% e85 fueled, stock suspension, silver mazdaspeed 3 in South Houston. Because its my internet record, and I said so.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-22-2017, 10:24 AM   #12

naoandlater is the leader of the worldnaoandlater is the leader of the worldnaoandlater is the leader of the worldnaoandlater is the leader of the worldnaoandlater is the leader of the worldnaoandlater is the leader of the worldnaoandlater is the leader of the worldnaoandlater is the leader of the worldnaoandlater is the leader of the worldnaoandlater is the leader of the worldnaoandlater is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Not a 2.3Disi but a shop in Japan called Odula put the L3-VE from a 2.3L MZ3 into a NC. I couldn't find any info on their site but here are pics from the feature in the car mag I have.

15 Soul Red Mazda3s GT HB
naoandlater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to naoandlater For This Useful Post:
BLKSTIG (04-28-2017), mituc (04-22-2017), Yamahafreak (05-11-2017)
 Old 05-02-2017, 11:42 AM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So the RX8 bodywork in the engine bay needs to be cut quite a bit to fit a 2.3DISI-T engine in there. It was designed to fit 2 rotor rotary of the size of a backpack so it looks like I'm forced to go with the NC chassis which may require minimal engine bay cutting/bending.
StratiVersaTuned FTW
 Old 05-06-2017, 01:15 PM   #14

modusoperandi has a reputation beyond reputemodusoperandi has a reputation beyond reputemodusoperandi has a reputation beyond reputemodusoperandi has a reputation beyond reputemodusoperandi has a reputation beyond reputemodusoperandi has a reputation beyond reputemodusoperandi has a reputation beyond reputemodusoperandi has a reputation beyond reputemodusoperandi has a reputation beyond reputemodusoperandi has a reputation beyond reputemodusoperandi has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm waiting to see the outcome.
 Old 05-11-2017, 01:44 PM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Although it seems more difficult to convert an RX8, and it's also a bit of a sacrilege, I think I'll go with the RX8 chassis simply because it has 4 seats, longer wheel base and wider track.
StratiVersaTuned FTW
Vansquish (05-15-2017)
 Old 05-11-2017, 01:57 PM   #16

Bingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the world
Groans: 15
Groaned at 9 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

But it weighs another 1000 lbs and almost had as much power as the MZR stock. While it may be more practical (which first of all you shouldn't be doing a full blown engine transplant for practicality), I don't think it would be nearly as satisfying. Doing this to an rx8 yields a slight improvement on an rx8. Doing this on a Miata is creating a totally different beast. I'm willing to bet it'll be the most fun thing you've ever driven not to mention a hit at any car show. Just my opinion.
manu and Freefallin like this.

Things that don't: Gen Pu wheels, CPE center pod with Prosport boost, OP, and OT gauges.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
sharksinspace (05-14-2017)
The Following User Says NO Thank You to Bingo For This Un-useful Post:
Neverlift (05-15-2017)
 Old 05-11-2017, 01:59 PM   #17

Yamahafreak has a reputation beyond reputeYamahafreak has a reputation beyond reputeYamahafreak has a reputation beyond reputeYamahafreak has a reputation beyond reputeYamahafreak has a reputation beyond reputeYamahafreak has a reputation beyond reputeYamahafreak has a reputation beyond reputeYamahafreak has a reputation beyond reputeYamahafreak has a reputation beyond reputeYamahafreak has a reputation beyond reputeYamahafreak has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 2
Not Ranked  0 score     

Personally I wouldn't go for the rx8

The mx5 looks like it would be a lot more fun driving it with the Disi. Imo

Although I want to built a 3 rotor rotary mx5 one day.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn EVA-L09 met Tapatalk

Specs: @ xxx wHp, xxxNm at wheels
Wiseco, Manley H beam Rods, ARP Head studs, ARP Main studs, JBR Balance shaft removal, Total-MPS injector seals.
CS hpfp internals, CS TIP, CS Rear Diff Mount, CS 3.5bar MAP, JBR SRI, JBR EGR Delete, 3" Downpipe (De-Cat) Custom build by local shop, Custom built FMIC, PERM PVC, 3 port JBR EBCS, ACT HD Clutch 6-Pad Solid w/ Streetlite Flywheel, NGK LTR7IX-11, JBR Oil Pan Baffle.
Custom tuned/build K04 turbo by https://www.turbochargers.nl/
Saving for additional bolt ons (aux fuel, intake mani)
RX-8 Wheels 225/40-R18 Toyo T1R, 3cm lowerd Eibach kit.
initial dyno tuned by BR-performance. new tune by ????? versatuner

Hope to reach 400whp in the future, first goal is to get my car driving again

insta: @sp_shiningdreams
www.shiningdreams.nl
Yamahafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-12-2017, 11:32 AM   #18

MSP6 is the leader of the worldMSP6 is the leader of the worldMSP6 is the leader of the worldMSP6 is the leader of the worldMSP6 is the leader of the worldMSP6 is the leader of the worldMSP6 is the leader of the worldMSP6 is the leader of the worldMSP6 is the leader of the worldMSP6 is the leader of the worldMSP6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,601 Times in 600 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I feel like an E tuned DISI in a miata would be a blast...as well as a death trap.. Tiny tires, no weight and RWD...Mmmmm

Enki - "High mixes of corn = all the wastegate all the time for great justice."
MSP6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-12-2017, 02:27 PM   #19

spillywilly will become famous soon enough
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Same principal as an LS swapped miata but instead of a rumbling v8, it's a sick nasty disi!

+1 vote on the miata instead of rx8

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Cobb AP // ko4 @ 18.5 psi // custom tmic // wiseco pistons // Manley rods // bsd // forge bpv // Megan racing suspension // atp upper catless dp stock lower stock exhaust minus resonator// 06 rx 8 wheels wrapped in potenza sport 235/40/r18 // 292 whp 346wtq freektune on 91 oct // shift plate // red rally armor //
spillywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #20

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm 38 and i was thinking about which fast roadster i could get for my 40ishh crisiss

a turbo miata was on the top of the list.....But i was more looking at the approach of keeping it PI..I was expecting a speed manifold would bolt on the LF engine from the 2006+ model. So it would have been easy to put LF head on the dizi bottom or swap the crank/rod and piston into the 2L bloc if the head isn't fully compatible. And Re-use most of my speed parts on it...even a k04 would be nice to start. But i heard the exaust flange of the LF may be different. I have no idea but i have seen a PI head on a dizi bloc....
There seem to be some ready to connect megaskirt standalone for miata. If it come with a base program it could be an easy thing.

On the other hand, it would need a stronger and wider rear axle to keep it on the road like with an LS swap...

2007 speed3 71R
1993 Ford Probe KLZE
2006 Mazda3 Gs for winter
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

...Because French Canadian...
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff23spl For This Useful Post:
_SPEED3GT_ (05-14-2017)
 Old 05-12-2017, 03:22 PM   #21

aackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the world
Groans: 5
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

If you use the NC then you also have the option to go PRHT instead of separate hardtop... best of all worlds in some ways. I considered an LS swap to one until I sat in one (don't fit) though I have to wonder if it could be made to work with some standard fat-guy mods like foamectomy/handle removal/etc.
 Old 05-13-2017, 07:13 AM   #22

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Jeff23spl View Post
I'm 38 and i was thinking about which fast roadster i could get for my 40ishh crisiss
I turn 40 tomorrow, so I'm already spooled and at full boost.
I always likes cars with a bit of practicality so that is the reason why my dream is to put the DISI-T in an RX8.
Jeff23spl likes this.
StratiVersaTuned FTW
 Old 05-14-2017, 05:49 PM   #23

sharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the world
Groans: 82
Not Ranked  0 score     

I vote for MX5. In for results.
Koni Str.t + Bilstein B8; Swift Springs; JBR STS; Sumi HTR Z III on RX8s
PD by Will
sharksinspace is online now   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-15-2017, 02:46 AM   #24

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
But it weighs another 1000 lbs and almost had as much power as the MZR stock. While it may be more practical (which first of all you shouldn't be doing a full blown engine transplant for practicality), I don't think it would be nearly as satisfying. Doing this to an rx8 yields a slight improvement on an rx8. Doing this on a Miata is creating a totally different beast. I'm willing to bet it'll be the most fun thing you've ever driven not to mention a hit at any car show. Just my opinion.
The MX5 NC 2.0 is 1250kg/2755lb, the RX8 231PS is 1350kg/2975lb. So unless I use an MX5 NA or NB the weight advantage over an RX8 is not that big, merely significant, but with a longer wheel base and wider track as well as 4 seats it will make it both more practical and easier to hoone around with. Short wheel base cars are pretty hard to drift if it comes to that, while the longer wheel base ones are a bit more dull in the good sense of the word, especially considering that I intend to use it on street.
StratiVersaTuned FTW
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mituc For This Useful Post:
aackthpt (05-15-2017), Jeff23spl (05-16-2017), Neverlift (05-15-2017), Vansquish (05-15-2017)
 Old 05-16-2017, 03:13 PM   #25

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

but is the rx8 engine same weight of a L serie engine? If you take both shell without engine, is the RX8 remain just 100kg heavier ? Maybe the difference would increase?
i don't know but i heard few times that the rx engine was designed to be lightweight so the swap may add more weight to the rx8 than it would on the miata ?

2007 speed3 71R
1993 Ford Probe KLZE
Wife drive 2010 CX7

Old 05-23-2017, 01:26 PM   #26

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Jeff23spl View Post
but is the rx8 engine same weight of a L serie engine? If you take both shell without engine, is the RX8 remain just 100kg heavier ? Maybe the difference would increase?
i don't know but i heard few times that the rx engine was designed to be lightweight so the swap may add more weight to the rx8 than it would on the miata ?
I think the 2.3DISI-T engine is about 170kg/375lb with all accessories (alternator, turbo, manifolds, and so on). so yes, it may add about 50-60 more kgs to the rx8 and about 30 more to an MX5.
The weight distribution should not be compromised too much because most of the engine will sit slightly below the front axle so it should be kind of a front-mid engine car, kind of like the S2k (the S2k has the whole engine positioned below the front axle).

I'm still waiting for an answer from the Romanian Automotive Homologation Authority and if they say I can individually homologate an RX8 with this engine then I'll do it. Otherwise I'll get an MX5 NC with engine issues (I was surprised to find there are quite a few with rattling 1.8 litre engines) and convert it, but only as a last option.
StratiVersaTuned FTW
 Old 05-23-2017, 04:29 PM   #27

Djohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,418 Times in 1,310 Posts
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hell yes this would be awesome.
The go: Depo racing: downpipe (100 cell count), custom: FMIC. HTP: 3.5" intake, under route piping. JBR: shortshifter, RSB. Autotech: HPFP internals. Go fast bits: hybrid BPV, VMR: 18x8.5 V710s, Bridgestone: potenza re760 245/40/18, KW: v3 coilovers,SPC: camber arms, freektuned, Damond Motorsports: dual OCC, PMM, PCV plate, RMM, TMM, EGR delete, FoSt mani, Corksport: battery box(fuck this thing), injector seals, Cobb: EBCS, AP v3. AEM: methanol. Seibon: carbon fiber hood. UR: catback. Bosch: 3bar. BNR: s4, DNP: EWG manifold, Tial: 38mm mvs EWG.

The show: 5% tint all around, 50% tint windshield, rally armor mudflaps, Sony XAV64BT touchscreen headunit, katskin leather interior, CPE relocation plate, Maisonvi weighted shift knob, Corksport hoodscoop, black housing headlights.

Soon:built motor
Djohns is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-07-2017, 08:13 AM   #28

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok, it's going to be an RX8, I will be able to homologate this sacrilege.
StratiVersaTuned FTW
Vansquish (06-07-2017)
 Old 06-07-2017, 08:27 AM   #29

Not Ranked  0 score     

Hell yea! How much power are you trying to push?

Cobb AP // ko4 @ 18.5 psi // custom tmic // wiseco pistons // Manley rods // bsd // forge bpv // Megan racing suspension // atp upper catless dp stock lower stock exhaust minus resonator// 06 rx 8 wheels wrapped in potenza sport 235/40/r18 // 292 whp 346wtq freektune on 91 oct // shift plate // red rally armor //
 Old 06-07-2017, 10:16 AM   #30

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by spillywilly View Post

I bet that question is a bit too soon.
the challenge isn't to make power with a L3VDT, all the secrets are in this forum but to swap the dizi in that frame.
There is nothing ready for it, it will be as much complicated to install it, as it would be to install even a TDI engine or any other in it. Everything will need to be custom made but he already have the engine and the knowledge around it.

BTW Even with a stock turbo and tune, the car would be faster...And i don't expect Mituc will keep it stock

2007 speed3 71R
1993 Ford Probe KLZE
Wife drive 2010 CX7

Last edited by Jeff23spl; 06-07-2017 at 02:54 PM.
 Old 06-07-2017, 10:22 AM   #31

Not Ranked  0 score     

You're right. The power question is the easy part lol. Plenty of formulas. I was just curious add to what the minimum might be

Old 06-07-2017, 04:10 PM   #32

aackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Even a stock bottom end, relatively easy mods, DISI running E30 doing in the 350/350 range would be AMAZING in a RX-8. Actually if there were a good kit for mounting it, getting the cluster and such to work, and mating the trans to it I'd try to find a roller and order a motor from Edge to build one myself, because that sounds like stupid amounts of fun for the cost. You can find $3k or less RX-8 rollers without much work at all.

Honestly other than having to get it custom I think the mechanical stuff might be child's play compared to getting the cluster thing to work, from what I read. Didn't the guys who put the DISI into a Mazda 5 have to keep the ms3 cluster in the glove box just to make the DISI work right?
 Old 06-07-2017, 11:15 PM   #33

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by spillywilly View Post
We'll see. It will have a built engine running a GTX3071R (gen1) turbo, so don't expect less than 350bhp. For starters I will not add WMI but I will push the factory fuelling system as much as I can.
My intention is to get a GTX3071R gen2 for my 3MPS and put the current turbo in the RX.
StratiVersaTuned FTW
 Old 06-08-2017, 09:25 AM   #34

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by aackthpt View Post
Even a stock bottom end, relatively easy mods, DISI running E30 doing in the 350/350 range would be AMAZING in a RX-8. Actually if there were a good kit for mounting it, getting the cluster and such to work, and mating the trans to it I'd try to find a roller and order a motor from Edge to build one myself, because that sounds like stupid amounts of fun for the cost. You can find $3k or less RX-8 rollers without much work at all.

Honestly other than having to get it custom I think the mechanical stuff might be child's play compared to getting the cluster thing to work, from what I read. Didn't the guys who put the DISI into a Mazda 5 have to keep the ms3 cluster in the glove box just to make the DISI work right?
With the can buss, you can probably extrac all the informations needed for driving it. Just a Torque APP and 8-10 inch tabs. The only thing it doesn'tt seem to have is the total traveled km/mile for oil changes but having the cluster in a hard to reach place can still permit a check once in a while...MAybe that info is burried somewhere in can and someone could reach it too...
You can make a cluster page for: RPM, Speed, Gaz level, Engine temp. Boost level and some more to look at engine health in another page...

I would be more afraid of the air bags devices or anything else that you keep from the RX8 but controlled by the speed computer....ABS and stability control, Fuel tank level sensor, VSS etc...

2007 speed3 71R
1993 Ford Probe KLZE
Wife drive 2010 CX7

Old 06-08-2017, 09:42 AM   #35

Djohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

If there was a kit I'd be all over this because I've got a roller rx-8 in my area for about $1500. I would aim for like 600 to the rear wheels. Plus my car is paid off next month so I'd have more funds for that project.
The go: Depo racing: downpipe (100 cell count), custom: FMIC. HTP: 3.5" intake, under route piping. JBR: shortshifter, RSB. Autotech: HPFP internals. Go fast bits: hybrid BPV, VMR: 18x8.5 V710s, Bridgestone: potenza re760 245/40/18, KW: v3 coilovers,SPC: camber arms, freektuned, Damond Motorsports: dual OCC, PMM, PCV plate, RMM, TMM, EGR delete, FoSt mani, Corksport: battery box(fuck this thing), injector seals, Cobb: EBCS, AP v3. AEM: methanol. Seibon: carbon fiber hood. UR: catback. Bosch: 3bar. BNR: s4, DNP: EWG manifold, Tial: 38mm mvs EWG.

The show: 5% tint all around, 50% tint windshield, rally armor mudflaps, Sony XAV64BT touchscreen headunit, katskin leather interior, CPE relocation plate, Maisonvi weighted shift knob, Corksport hoodscoop, black housing headlights.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:45 AM   #36

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

This guy here did it somehow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TObmPdSiIgw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YpBWf5LffI

I'm still trying to make him tell me more, but he isn't that eager to reply.
StratiVersaTuned FTW
aackthpt (06-08-2017)
 Old 06-08-2017, 09:54 AM   #37

Not Ranked  0 score     

Did you offer him a handjob in return? It's the considerate thing to do.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:05 AM   #38

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by mituc View Post
Wow. So much want, though his underhood doesn't really look all that clean or well-sorted. I wonder if his A/C works. But being that he said he used the MPS ECU, and all the gauges appear to work, that's awesome.
 Old 06-08-2017, 11:13 AM   #39

Yatta has disabled reputation
Thanked 1,277 Times in 644 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

the second video appears to show a ‘stock’ mps ECU... so interested in how they defeated the need for the gauge cluster....
mods: \\// AT HPFP // AccessPort // CS S2 TIP, SRI and TMIC // CPe S2 RMM // Synapse BPV // Mazda gutted secondary cat // S-OTS+ 91S2 // HKS TP DLi II // Wilwood DP6 13” brakes // TCE 2 piece rear rotors // Maxwell SuperCap/LiFePO4 cell \\//

waiting for install: \\// CPE Catted DP // CS Battery Box // Devils Own Meth kit // H&R Coilovers \\//
Yatta is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-08-2017, 11:26 AM   #40

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by aackthpt View Post
Wow. So much want, though his underhood doesn't really look all that clean or well-sorted. I wonder if his A/C works. But being that he said he used the MPS ECU, and all the gauges appear to work, that's awesome.
That is just a proof of concept, what you see in the second clip doesn't mean it's the final thing, and mine will not necessarily have to look so out of place (especially that ECU laying around the engine bay like that).
First we need to make it work and then look pretty ...and the versatune the fuck out of it!
StratiVersaTuned FTW