register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
MAZDASPEED Protegé
> MSP - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Alejo_NIN

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 04-13-2009, 05:32 PM   #1

phantomspeed3 has much to be proud ofphantomspeed3 has much to be proud ofphantomspeed3 has much to be proud ofphantomspeed3 has much to be proud ofphantomspeed3 has much to be proud ofphantomspeed3 has much to be proud ofphantomspeed3 has much to be proud ofphantomspeed3 has much to be proud ofphantomspeed3 has much to be proud of
Groans: 12
Groaned at 11 Times in 9 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default What kinda power are people getting out of their protege speeds?

I want to know what kind of horsepower people are getting out of their protege speeds thinking about adding it to my mazdaspeed collection so I wanna know what kinda power has been obtained, I'm not looking for super high numbers or anything so just tell me what kinda power you have and what mods regardless of whether you're under 200hp or way over I don't even care i just want to know

phantomspeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-13-2009, 07:21 PM   #2

ChidoriSpeed will become famous soon enoughChidoriSpeed will become famous soon enough
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I've made 205whp and 211 wtq. With a BeGi intercooler, unichip, corksports tbe, and an injen Cai along with some other misc. stuff like plug wires, grounding kits and spark plugs. Nothing special.
ChidoriSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-13-2009, 09:52 PM   #3

phantomspeed3 has much to be proud ofphantomspeed3 has much to be proud ofphantomspeed3 has much to be proud ofphantomspeed3 has much to be proud ofphantomspeed3 has much to be proud ofphantomspeed3 has much to be proud ofphantomspeed3 has much to be proud ofphantomspeed3 has much to be proud ofphantomspeed3 has much to be proud of
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ChidoriSpeed View Post
I've made 205whp and 211 wtq. With a BeGi intercooler, unichip, corksports tbe, and an injen Cai along with some other misc. stuff like plug wires, grounding kits and spark plugs. Nothing special.
is that intercooler a front mount? and is that unichip a tunable chip or just it just have settings in it for certain mods?

Old 04-13-2009, 10:34 PM   #4

babcockxmx is the leader of the worldbabcockxmx is the leader of the worldbabcockxmx is the leader of the worldbabcockxmx is the leader of the worldbabcockxmx is the leader of the worldbabcockxmx is the leader of the worldbabcockxmx is the leader of the worldbabcockxmx is the leader of the worldbabcockxmx is the leader of the worldbabcockxmx is the leader of the worldbabcockxmx is the leader of the world
Groans: 52
Groaned at 19 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

unichip isnt tunable. and to my knowledge the come with smic
 Old 04-14-2009, 11:56 AM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by babcockxmx View Post
unichip isnt tunable. and to my knowledge the come with smic
I know its side mount, but he said he had a different intercooler so i was wondering if he made it a front mount or what

Old 04-15-2009, 09:55 PM   #6

ChidoriSpeed will become famous soon enoughChidoriSpeed will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

The bell engineering intercooler is a front mount. I tried the upgraded side mount and it wasn't all that impressive. Look for a member here named Turbo he has a pretty sick speed protege.
 Old 04-16-2009, 11:55 AM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

alright sweet deal, so you have any future plans on your vehicle?

Still only heard from one person, I wanna know what everyone is getting power wise!!

Old 04-16-2009, 12:40 PM   #8

terbow has a spectacular aura aboutterbow has a spectacular aura aboutterbow has a spectacular aura about
Groans: 0
Not Ranked  0 score     

I plan on dynoing this summmer so ill have to come back to this.
 Old 04-16-2009, 12:43 PM   #9

Not Ranked  0 score     

I had big plans, I bought a set of wrx 440cc injectors, a greddy profec b, a port and polished single runner intake manifold, and a split second psc one to control it all. I was aiming for 240whp, sadly I traded it in for a speed6 three years ago. I still have most of those parts just sitiing in my garage.
 Old 04-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by terbow View Post
I plan on dynoing this summmer so ill have to come back to this.
okay man for sure let me know, what you got done to it right now?

Old 04-16-2009, 03:55 PM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ChidoriSpeed View Post
I had big plans, I bought a set of wrx 440cc injectors, a greddy profec b, a port and polished single runner intake manifold, and a split second psc one to control it all. I was aiming for 240whp, sadly I traded it in for a speed6 three years ago. I still have most of those parts just sitiing in my garage.
not to rag on the speed protege but it was definately a good trade so i would edit your post to say happily I traded it in for a speed6 lol

The Following User Says Thank You to phantomspeed3 For This Useful Post:
Juyoung (08-23-2012)
 Old 04-16-2009, 05:30 PM   #12

terbow has a spectacular aura aboutterbow has a spectacular aura aboutterbow has a spectacular aura about
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by phantomspeed3 View Post
okay man for sure let me know, what you got done to it right now?
http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...rbows-msp.html
 Old 04-16-2009, 06:21 PM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

cool cool, so you can't tune it at all? i think you said that on that post?

Old 04-16-2009, 07:24 PM   #14

Not Ranked  0 score     

cool cool, so you can't tune it at all? i think you said that on that post?
well, i can but not by myself (cause i cant look at the gauges and drive). I mean the AFC is pretty good out of the box but its a conservative tune. I got a innovate motorsports LC1 now (its like a wideband sensor you can log) so i can finally datalog and tune.
 Old 04-16-2009, 07:34 PM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

oh I got ya, so explain this liquid+air thing you've got going on I've never heard of it before

Old 04-16-2009, 07:45 PM   #16

babcockxmx is the leader of the worldbabcockxmx is the leader of the worldbabcockxmx is the leader of the worldbabcockxmx is the leader of the worldbabcockxmx is the leader of the worldbabcockxmx is the leader of the worldbabcockxmx is the leader of the worldbabcockxmx is the leader of the worldbabcockxmx is the leader of the worldbabcockxmx is the leader of the worldbabcockxmx is the leader of the world
Groans: 52
Groaned at 19 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

terbow i love the black wrinkle coating. how did you do that?
 Old 04-21-2009, 02:25 PM   #17

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by babcockxmx View Post
terbow i love the black wrinkle coating. how did you do that?
The best way is to have it powdercoated like that, but mine is just a paint made by krylon. You can get it anywhere. Its called Wrinkle Finish paint. You just prep the piece, apply it, then add heat with a dryer and it wrinkles up.
 Old 04-21-2009, 02:26 PM   #18

Not Ranked  0 score     

oh I got ya, so explain this liquid+air thing you've got going on I've never heard of it before
Well a traditional air to air intercooler uses air that passes through it to cool the charge air. Much like a radiator. Mine uses coolant/water to cool the core off instead of air.
 Old 04-21-2009, 04:52 PM   #19

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by terbow View Post
Well a traditional air to air intercooler uses air that passes through it to cool the charge air. Much like a radiator. Mine uses coolant/water to cool the core off instead of air.
so do you have like a seperate water pump that does that? or how does it work?

Old 04-22-2009, 12:02 PM   #20

Not Ranked  0 score     

so do you have like a seperate water pump that does that? or how does it work?
yup a seperate fluid pump moves the water around. theres a pic of all the parts in my thread i linked.

essentially it goes like this...

water tank (stores cooled water) > Pump > IC > Heat exchanger > water tank
 Old 04-23-2009, 04:38 PM   #21

BaseballD2 has a brilliant futureBaseballD2 has a brilliant futureBaseballD2 has a brilliant futureBaseballD2 has a brilliant futureBaseballD2 has a brilliant futureBaseballD2 has a brilliant futureBaseballD2 has a brilliant futureBaseballD2 has a brilliant futureBaseballD2 has a brilliant futureBaseballD2 has a brilliant futureBaseballD2 has a brilliant future
Groans: 6
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

I remember this guy from car of the month on the other fourm... 474.8whp & 390 lbs torque !! puttin us speeds to shame... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2315771
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BaseballD2 For This Useful Post:
Juyoung (08-23-2012), sundowned (12-27-2012)
 Old 04-23-2009, 05:58 PM   #22

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by BaseballD2 View Post
I remember this guy from car of the month on the other fourm... 474.8whp & 390 lbs torque !! puttin us speeds to shame... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2315771
that shit is crazy!!! there is almost 200 mods done to that

Old 07-20-2009, 10:38 AM   #23

MSP1421 is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

stock lol
MSP1421 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-06-2010, 07:07 PM   #24

highspeed will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

the MSP is not a power house in stock form, or even with bolt on mods. The motor has to be built and the tranny will only take so much punishment. The plus side of the MSP is that it handles great right out of the box, and with some slight suspension mods and a little more power, the MSP can be a great force against cars like the WRX, EVO, STi, etc in the twisties or SCCA course. I love mine and I plan on a complete built from top to bottom. Its a very nimble and capable chassis
highspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-15-2010, 09:49 PM   #25

SOLD1ER has a brilliant futureSOLD1ER has a brilliant futureSOLD1ER has a brilliant futureSOLD1ER has a brilliant futureSOLD1ER has a brilliant futureSOLD1ER has a brilliant futureSOLD1ER has a brilliant futureSOLD1ER has a brilliant futureSOLD1ER has a brilliant futureSOLD1ER has a brilliant futureSOLD1ER has a brilliant future
Not Ranked  0 score     

i remember when the MSP came out. i saw a grey one at my local mazda dealership and wanted to buy one at that time....they're great cars. i wished i would of picked one up back then
 Old 06-23-2011, 08:04 PM   #26

mattxhand is an unknown quantity at this point
Neutral  +1 score     

I haven't been to the dyno yet, but the butt dyno says 210ish. If you check the other forum, there are people all the way up to like 470hp. They aren't meant to be powerhouses, but they are pretty light and handle awesomely.
mattxhand is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-03-2011, 03:23 AM   #27

AreteSpeed will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

I will be Shooting for 300whp. I will let you know how it goes.
AreteSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #28

pwned101 has a reputation beyond reputepwned101 has a reputation beyond reputepwned101 has a reputation beyond reputepwned101 has a reputation beyond reputepwned101 has a reputation beyond reputepwned101 has a reputation beyond reputepwned101 has a reputation beyond reputepwned101 has a reputation beyond reputepwned101 has a reputation beyond reputepwned101 has a reputation beyond reputepwned101 has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 9 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I actually always thought of one for a DD. I've heard the engine is bad though lol..is this true?
pwned101 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #29

Jarods7920 is the leader of the worldJarods7920 is the leader of the worldJarods7920 is the leader of the worldJarods7920 is the leader of the worldJarods7920 is the leader of the worldJarods7920 is the leader of the worldJarods7920 is the leader of the worldJarods7920 is the leader of the worldJarods7920 is the leader of the worldJarods7920 is the leader of the worldJarods7920 is the leader of the world
Groans: 8
Groaned at 26 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Not a whole lot to be had out of an FS motor. You can make some power but you need a larger turbo and such. 250-300whp is about the max before you really start trashing things. The motor isnt forged and the transmission is not all that strong. You will begin shearing teeth off gears.
 Old 03-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #30

NCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the worldNCZ13 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,214 Times in 538 Posts
Groans: 26
Groaned at 44 Times in 32 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Local guy I knew was running 210whp 200tq with upgraded sidemount and boost turned up to 10.

The bottom end of the FSDE is the weak point. its the same internals as the regular 2.0 slowtege, so swiss cheese blocks were very common.

2008 Cosmic Blue Mazdaspeed3
1986 Mazda RX7
2002.5 Sunlightsilver Protege5 (sold 12/26/09)

Hey you should read this: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...ler-you-58361/
NCZ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #31

mazdaspeed4life is infamous around these partsmazdaspeed4life is infamous around these partsmazdaspeed4life is infamous around these parts
Groaned at 108 Times in 27 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I want to know what kind of horsepower people are getting out of their protege speeds thinking about adding it to my mazdaspeed collection so I wanna know what kinda power has been obtained, I'm not looking for super high numbers or anything so just tell me what kinda power you have and what mods regardless of whether you're under 200hp or way over I don't even care i just want to know

What speeds do you have!?

((SLIK-6))
mazdaspeed4life is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #32

Alejo_NIN is the leader of the worldAlejo_NIN is the leader of the worldAlejo_NIN is the leader of the worldAlejo_NIN is the leader of the worldAlejo_NIN is the leader of the worldAlejo_NIN is the leader of the worldAlejo_NIN is the leader of the worldAlejo_NIN is the leader of the worldAlejo_NIN is the leader of the worldAlejo_NIN is the leader of the worldAlejo_NIN is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,206 Times in 525 Posts
Groans: 88
Groaned at 186 Times in 83 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i had a mazdaspeed protege dynoed at 197WHP/210 TQ
Full 3" turbo back exhaust
Intake
FMIC
SSAFC
10PSI

now i have a MP3 on boost with unknown HP
Full 3" exhaust