register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics - Have a problem with the car? CEL Code? Want to discuss other issues? Come on in!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 03-14-2018, 05:45 AM   #1

dcomiskey will become famous soon enough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default '07 MS3 shuddering badly in high gears

Have a very weird problem happening right now. First, my turbo has been slowly failing the last few months, burning oil pretty badly. The seals are shot. I have all the new parts, except the Cobb AP. I'm trying to avoid the cost of that and the $1900 install/tune as long as I can, since we've been hemmorraging $ lately. So, wanted to get that out front first. And I have 92K on the motor.

Anyway, starting last Friday, I got a CEL on my way to work. Didn't notice anything unusual, though. On the way home from work, I WOT on the highway and my car start shuddering violently after about 3500 rpm. If I push it long enough, the CEL actually starts to flash until I back it down. If I accelerate slowly, there is no issue. I took it to the dealer, who found misfire codes for Cyl 1. (One of them was P0301 Cylinder No.1 misfire detected Flash / ON 1 or 2 Misfire - I forgot the other, but have it written down at work) They said it was a bad injector and my plugs, still original, need replacing. That sh*t cost $1200!!!! I pick the car up last night, seems fine, until I hit the highway.....SAME THING HAPPENS!!! So, now, I'm furious, as I just dropped $1200 for absolutley no reason. I called them right away and I'll be bringing it back today. There's no way they did a test drive on the highway after working on it, like they should have.

It's not a bad clutch, or I'd see problems throughout the powerband. And, I did notice it only seems to be happneing under load in 5th or 6th gears. It doesn't happen otherwise (I don't get any shuddering if I'm parked and I rev the engine). Boost and/or fuel is getting cut at a consistent point. Is this, in fact, my turbo's last gasp? Is there a way I can get a deeper diagnosis from the ECU through the dealer?

(Minor update: driving to work this morning, I could barely get the problem to appear.)

Last edited by dcomiskey; 03-14-2018 at 09:00 AM.
dcomiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-14-2018, 11:28 AM   #2

Thor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the world
Groans: 189
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm going to assume you don't know how to work on cars since you're taking it to the dealer?

You could have spent that money on a Cobb AP so you can read codes and log data to find out what's going on. Then buy the needed parts and install them. For a lot less than 1200!

Where are you located? Someone local may be able to help.

Do not WOT in 5th or 6th gear. Ever. Too much load on the engine and bad things can happen.

Is the misfire code back after the dealer stole your hard earned money?
2007 MS6- H&R Coilovers/ C-PE Catted DP/Corksport HPFP Internals/ AEM CAI/ ETS TMIC/ CPE Austenite Dual CBE/ CPE TIH/ Synapse Synchronic/ Freektuned/ AP Short Shifter/ AWR RMM and OEM TMM with CS Inserts/ Southbend Stage 2 Endurance/Stop Tech Slotted Rear and DBA T3 4000 Series Front with EBC Reds/CPE xFlex Rear Diff Mount/ Whiteline Rear Sway Bar/DSS Level 2.9 Rear Axles
Thor Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-14-2018, 11:30 AM   #3

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I don't have the TIME to work on cars. But thank you. I haven't taken it back to have them read the codes yet.
 Old 03-14-2018, 03:21 PM   #4

Thor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by dcomiskey View Post
I don't have the TIME to work on cars. But thank you. I haven't taken it back to have them read the codes yet.
That's too bad as this platform will take up lots of your time in maintenance. Hope you have deep pockets and good luck. I tried to help but you clearly have it under control.
2007 MS6- H&R Coilovers/ C-PE Catted DP/Corksport HPFP Internals/ AEM CAI/ ETS TMIC/ CPE Austenite Dual CBE/ CPE TIH/ Synapse Synchronic/ Freektuned/ AP Short Shifter/ AWR RMM and OEM TMM with CS Inserts/ Southbend Stage 2 Endurance/Stop Tech Slotted Rear and DBA T3 4000 Series Front with EBC Reds/CPE xFlex Rear Diff Mount/ Whiteline Rear Sway Bar/DSS Level 2.9 Rear Axles
 Old 03-14-2018, 06:05 PM   #5

stockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 74
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

ROFL

I don't get it. Why the fuck would you post anything if you are going to say I have no time, I didn't scan the codes, etc....waste of time really.

You can't be helped.
2007 TR MazdaSpeed3:Autotech FP inernals, CorkSport Turbo, TR8 Front Mount w/CX piping, JBR 3" intake, COBB EBCS, Cobb AP, Toyota Injector Seals, FR stud mod, Fidanza flywheel/LUK clutch, Forge BPV v2, cp-e xFlex stage 2 RMM, Wiseco .20 Pistons/Manley Rods/BSD, Dual DM catch cans, Koni Yellows/H&R springs, FD wheels, eBay downpipe, stock CBE

2005 Mazda 3 SP23: mods include rusty quarter panels and grinding 3rd gear. It does have a fusion motor, so I guess that's a mod too.
stockms3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stockms3 For This Useful Post:
MD1032 (03-15-2018), Thor Hammer (03-14-2018)
 Old 03-14-2018, 06:46 PM   #6

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 20
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Inbeforepartout
Versatuner, 3-bar MAP, ITV22, CP-e TMIC
CS Turbo/DP/RP/HPFP/BPV/R-DiffMount
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Rear Russian Bushings, Poly FSB Bushings Magnaflow CBE, ACT 6-puck/Streetlite
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/OCC/PCV Plate
Other rides:
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD - 355k mile Speed support vehicle.
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken (since Christmas 2015 and I really need to get rid of it)
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44)
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-14-2018, 06:59 PM   #7

Db09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 61
Not Ranked  0 score     

Damn man. Time is money and you don't have either one?
Db09ms3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-14-2018, 09:43 PM   #8

Bingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the world
Groans: 16
Groaned at 9 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

If you plan to take it to the dealership for every problem you can't immediately figure out, sell it. Honestly not being a jerk here, I really do recommend you find something else. These cars are finicky, and if you don't have bottomless pockets or the will/means to do work yourself, it's just not financially responsible.

Things that don't: Gen Pu wheels, CPE center pod with Prosport boost, OP, and OT gauges, Eonon G9151A.

Last edited by Bingo; 03-14-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Db09ms3 (03-15-2018), MD1032 (03-15-2018), Pu Manchu (03-16-2018)
 Old 03-15-2018, 06:21 AM   #9

JakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 19
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sell your car. I'm tired of seeing the last few speeds that are out there on the road under ownership of someone who isn't willing to put the time or money (if they have it like that), into these cars. I hate seeing trashed up speeds who are owned by someone immature and ricing the shit out of them and/or someone who isn't willing to put the $$$ into it to get it purring again. If you're living paycheck to paycheck, this is not a car you want to have as a dependable DD, in its current state of course. If you're in the car scene I would suggest hitting the local car meets, or use FB, and finding other local speed owners and make friends. Buy beer and pizza and I'm sure they are willing to help you out. If you're not into cars like that, sell the car and get you a reliable DD that you don't have to throw $$$ at.

And I'm not trying to disrespect you by the paycheck comment, we've all been there before and know what its like. I'm just saying that if that's your current financial situation and with the car being in its current state, its not a good recipe for you.

Cobb AP V3, CBE
CS Turbo tuned by PD
Corksport Catted DP/HPFP Internals
JBR FMIC Pipe Kit w/TR8
CP-E TIP/3.5" Intake
DM OCC/TMM
Forge V2 BPV
Bilstein B8 w/Swift springs
Wilwood 6 pot BBK
EBC RedStuff rear pads
Konig Hypergram 18x8.5"
JakeMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JakeMS3 For This Useful Post:
Db09ms3 (03-15-2018), MD1032 (03-15-2018), Pu Manchu (03-16-2018)
 Old 03-15-2018, 08:00 AM   #10

MD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,066 Posts
Groans: 143
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

To me the writing is on the wall...

If you have a flashing CEL, it means your car has a severe misfire. In my limited experience with turbo cars, this almost always indicates either a cracked/bad spark plug, or a significant loss of compression in one or more cylinders...in other words, your engine likely needs to be rebuilt or replaced. It is possible you had a bad injector on cylinder #1 and this caused that cylinder to lean out and blow the ringlands on that cylinder...perhaps that is why the dealer replaced those parts. This would also explain the oil burning issues as well, since a loss of compression caused by bottom end issues would cause your car to consume significant amounts of oil. Of course nothing can be ruled out here. Your car might have overheated in its previous life and blown the cylinder head gasket or something of that nature. Or you might just have a burned valve. Until you do a compression/leakdown test, we won't know.

Originally Posted by Thor Hammer View Post
You could have spent that money on a Cobb AP so you can read codes and log data to find out what's going on.
ELM327 bluetooth adapters (which cost ~$14), despite their slow logging rate, are capable of reading codes and doing all the same diagnostics as the Cobb AP's. They just can't be used to reflash the ECU's yet. OP could get one of those.
 Old 03-15-2018, 09:45 AM   #11

Not Ranked  0 score     

At this point I don't think we'll be hearing from OP again....

Originally Posted by JakeMS3 View Post
Sell your car. I'm tired of seeing the last few speeds that are out there on the road under ownership of someone who isn't willing to put the time or money (if they have it like that), into these cars. I hate seeing trashed up speeds who are owned by someone immature and ricing the shit out of them and/or someone who isn't willing to put the $$$ into it to get it purring again.
Well, in his defense he doesn't sound like some immature kid. However, I get your point.

Just look on FB. Since joining the few Speed 6 groups its sad to see how many are getting riced out like a fucking Honda by owners that don't have a fucking clue. It breaks my heart as its such a rare car and I want to buy a nicer one than mine sometime in the near future that's stock. They go quick.

These kids buy them up and then post PFA (pic for attention) with dumbass questions. Run crazy low offset wheels with way too much poke (because Stance), hack up the fenders, bag them, drive them into the ground, then ask for advice on which HPFP internals are best, or why are my trims off after WOT all day and ignorant questions like that.

They're not all like that, but quite a few. There are some really nice speeds on there in the hands of people that do know what they're doing.

One barely contributing member of society with a Speed 6 bought a cheap Chinese made replacement turbo from....Walmart. Not a joke. Cost him a whopping $150. Wow, just wow.

Last edited by Thor Hammer; 03-15-2018 at 10:06 AM.
 Old 03-15-2018, 10:15 AM   #12

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Thor Hammer View Post
At this point I don't think we'll be hearing from OP again....

Well, in his defense he doesn't sound like some immature kid. However, I get your point.

Just look on FB. Since joining the few Speed 6 groups its sad to see how many are getting riced out like a fucking Honda by owners that don't have a fucking clue. It breaks my heart as its such a rare car and I want to buy a nicer on than mine sometime in the near future that's stock. They go quick.

These kids buy them up and then post PFA (pic for attention) with dumbass questions. Run crazy low offset wheels with way too much poke (because Stance), hack up the fenders, bag them, drive them into the ground, then ask for advice on which HPFP internals are best, or why are my trims off after WOT all day and ignorant questions like that.

They're not all like that, but quite a few. There are some really nice speeds on there in the hands of people that do know what they're doing.
Wow. Lots of ridiculous assumptions on here. I'm 46, so I'm not a kid ricing out my car or spending my weekends away from my wife and kids hanging out with other car guys comparing exhausts. I'm the original owner of the car, with no mods other than suspension. I don't have the time because I have a busy life. I'm sorry if that offends some of you. Especially you, jake. Calm down, man.

I don't understand why some of you are so hostile when I asked a simple question. My car is a DD and has been damn reliable throughout its life. It's the most reliable car I've ever had (thank you, Mazda). I don't beat the shit out of it (still have teh original clutch), even though I have always driven it hard. I simply asked for advice on what could be going on, as I've never had this issue the 11 years I've had this car and myt searches didn't come up with much. I love my car, as there's nothing like them available any more and I'm willing to spend money on it to keep it running a couple more years, as opposed to dropping $500/mo on a new car I don't like as much. These cars take a lot of money and maintenance if you're modding them. My car has needed very little maint throughout its life outside of a few suspension issues and recalls.

These are CARS. They are utilitarian (and fun). If you're going to get overly emotional about it and attack people for no reason, you need to examine your priorities in life. I couldn't care less what others do to their cars. There are more important things in the world to worry about.

And thank you for those of you who actualy provided some useful info. @MD1032, the car has never overheated or blown any gaskets, so I can rule those two areas out. The plugs were replaced as part of this service (they were original) and I hope it simply was a bad plug and injector. It's running much better now and the CEL is gone.

It's entirely possible there could be compression issues and I am regretting not doing a compression test before laying out the money for all the upgrade parts. I hope I don't pay for that in the end. All of the odd smoking issues I have don't look like a normal oil burning situation, as it's not consistently smoking. Maybe that's just wishful thinking. When I take it in for the upgrade in a couple of months (at a local tuning shop), I'll discuss that with them.
 Old 03-15-2018, 10:30 AM   #13

Db09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 61
Not Ranked  0 score     

Make some time and pull plug #1 . Maybe post a pic of it. I don't know. You're 46, troubleshoot it a bit yourself. If you don't have time for that, sadly you'll have to pay someone else or shmooze a local NATOR member. When was your last tune up? Are you mechanically inclined?

We're not necessarily e-mechanics so don't expect an easy answer

Last edited by Db09ms3; 03-15-2018 at 10:30 AM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
Db09ms3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-15-2018, 10:45 AM   #14

stockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 74
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I understand you may have other things going on in life. I'm 31 and don't go to car meets because I don't have time. However, when my car breaks I understand that I either pay out of my ass or suck it up and do the work myself.

Diagnosing a problem might be a bitch since you may need to item1, item2, item3 before you figure out what it is.

It was impossible from your post to help you at all. The post was useless and a waste of time till some basic details can be provided.

It's kinda like texting a doctor and saying "hey my knee hurts, had this tendon repair it didn't help, how do I fix it".

If you wanna save money find someone local that can work on it, find a competent mechanic and don't use dealerships they only are good for recalls and warranty work.

You seem not to have done any research at all. Why should we give answers if you think your time is more valuable than ours?
2007 TR MazdaSpeed3:Autotech FP inernals, CorkSport Turbo, TR8 Front Mount w/CX piping, JBR 3" intake, COBB EBCS, Cobb AP, Toyota Injector Seals, FR stud mod, Fidanza flywheel/LUK clutch, Forge BPV v2, cp-e xFlex stage 2 RMM, Wiseco .20 Pistons/Manley Rods/BSD, Dual DM catch cans, Koni Yellows/H&R springs, FD wheels, eBay downpipe, stock CBE

2005 Mazda 3 SP23: mods include rusty quarter panels and grinding 3rd gear. It does have a fusion motor, so I guess that's a mod too.
stockms3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stockms3 For This Useful Post:
Db09ms3 (03-15-2018), JakeMS3 (03-15-2018)
 Old 03-15-2018, 11:34 AM   #15

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by dcomiskey View Post
Wow. Lots of ridiculous assumptions on here. I'm 46, so I'm not a kid ricing out my car or spending my weekends away from my wife and kids hanging out with other car guys comparing exhausts. I'm the original owner of the car, with no mods other than suspension. I don't have the time because I have a busy life. I'm sorry if that offends some of you. Especially you, jake. Calm down, man.

I don't understand why some of you are so hostile when I asked a simple question. My car is a DD and has been damn reliable throughout its life. It's the most reliable car I've ever had (thank you, Mazda). I don't beat the shit out of it (still have teh original clutch), even though I have always driven it hard. I simply asked for advice on what could be going on, as I've never had this issue the 11 years I've had this car and myt searches didn't come up with much. I love my car, as there's nothing like them available any more and I'm willing to spend money on it to keep it running a couple more years, as opposed to dropping $500/mo on a new car I don't like as much. These cars take a lot of money and maintenance if you're modding them. My car has needed very little maint throughout its life outside of a few suspension issues and recalls.

These are CARS. They are utilitarian (and fun). If you're going to get overly emotional about it and attack people for no reason, you need to examine your priorities in life. I couldn't care less what others do to their cars. There are more important things in the world to worry about.

And thank you for those of you who actualy provided some useful info. @MD1032, the car has never overheated or blown any gaskets, so I can rule those two areas out. The plugs were replaced as part of this service (they were original) and I hope it simply was a bad plug and injector. It's running much better now and the CEL is gone.

It's entirely possible there could be compression issues and I am regretting not doing a compression test before laying out the money for all the upgrade parts. I hope I don't pay for that in the end. All of the odd smoking issues I have don't look like a normal oil burning situation, as it's not consistently smoking. Maybe that's just wishful thinking. When I take it in for the upgrade in a couple of months (at a local tuning shop), I'll discuss that with them.
I didn't assume anything about you and specifically said you were not some kid ricer dude. I was talking about FB of which I assume you are no part of.

I tried to help and asked you basic questions to which you chose to not reply. Only that you do not have TIME to work on cars. That's not going to help me help you. Glad you got it resolved.

I'm 47 and have a kid too. Fortunately I do have time to work on my car (though limited and sometimes put things off a couple weeks) and enjoy doing so. I come from a family of four kids with a father that had me in the garage teaching me to work on cars as we could not afford to pay someone else to fix them. Necessity breeds time. Its different for everyone. I get that. I'm glad the car has been good to you for so long and you're able to afford to pay someone else to fix it thereby freeing up your time to spend with family. I cherish every moment with my 8 year old son.

If your car smokes randomly it could be turbo seals. Edit: I see you already know the turbo seals are shot. Nevermind.

Last edited by Thor Hammer; 03-15-2018 at 11:50 AM.