register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics - Have a problem with the car? CEL Code? Want to discuss other issues? Come on in!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 12-21-2008, 09:29 PM   #1

ispypsi is the leader of the worldispypsi is the leader of the worldispypsi is the leader of the worldispypsi is the leader of the worldispypsi is the leader of the worldispypsi is the leader of the worldispypsi is the leader of the worldispypsi is the leader of the worldispypsi is the leader of the worldispypsi is the leader of the worldispypsi is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default 6th gear boost variation

ok, so recently i noticed that getting on it in 6th gear, i was getting a sort of back-forth type of feel like the car was surging and then pulling back. i thought perhaps it was a knock/timing retard issue. i never really go WOT in 6th gear under 60mph, so it's usually at a reasonable RPM (ruling out anything about loading the engine at too low an RPM), and the first time i noticed it, i was shifting spiritedly and continued to give it WOT going into 6th gear around 70mph-ish.

im finally getting around to modifying the car, so i installed my boost gauge this weekend, and started looking at how the boost is reading. great numbers across, of course when i give it WOT, i get a spike which settles. when driving spiritedly and shifting into 3rd gear, it will spike 17psi and settle to almost 16 (the peak reads right at 17, so no big deal).

car is stock other than forge bpv and cobb SRI, and both are fairly new.

in 6th gear i gave it WOT at about 60mph and within a few seconds i saw my boost gauge creeping up to 17psi and falling back to 15psi, and it repeated that about 2 or 3 times then i let off.

is this a normal boost creep situation, or should i look at something? i have checked all fittings and clamps, and otherwise the car performs stellar.

being i'm not sure i like the placement of the gauge, and the lack of decent spots to mount it, i might go ahead and pick up a dash hawk anyways.

i doubt it is fuel cut, it's not a "cut/brick wall" type of feel, it's just like a push/surge in power, then the decrease, but you feel the decrease more than the "increase/surge". the car is about as close to stock as you can get. temps have been in the 70s mostly, and it did this in colder weather a while back, but i don't get to test it since i'm not in 6th gear and in an appropriate place to test this very often, usually on weekends on the interstate.

it's not a really huge issue, but i'd rather see if there are thoughts on this before it might turn into something else. i have a map clamp but i was gonna wait a few months/mods to install that, not sure it would help.

i may throw my boost leak tester over the weekend and see if there's any leaks, but i have yet to touch much on the car, other than splicing the hose for the boost gauge, which is secured/tight.
 Old 12-24-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
The Kamikaze King!

FreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,286 Times in 1,253 Posts
Groans: 754
Groaned at 128 Times in 100 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

First thing I would try is "pen test" and service of your Forge valve. http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...forge-bpv.html

I and others had a similar surge feeling going on at a specific rpm, and it was the Forge, the surge went away after I lubricated the valve.
My belief is, the cold weather thickens the grease and creates leaks in any that are inadequately lubricated....... Just my theory.

That would be the easy fix so check/relube the Forge first, if that doesn't solve your problem then logging would be appropriate.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/FreeFlyFreak/speed-3

Suspension:
OEM --> FSD 4040 --> FSD 4040 with cut stops --> MS Coils --> FSD 4045's --> FSD4045 with cut stops --> Bilstein Sports

Yes, that is me in the avatar.

Last edited by FreeFlyFreak; 12-24-2008 at 11:25 AM.
FreeFlyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-10-2009, 03:55 PM   #3

Tobyboom will become famous soon enough
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I too have just noticed this problem. I recently installed the COBB SRI, but other than that, the car is bone stock. It will only do it in 5th and 6th gear, and is exactly as ISPYPSI describes it.
Tobyboom is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-28-2009, 04:52 PM   #4

Not Ranked  0 score     

I've had a little more time to drive the car, and it seems that my car like to have this problem when the weather is a bit warm. Its been really cold lately (30-40 deg.) but on certain days, it will get up to the 70-80 deg. range, and THAT is then the problem happens. It always starts right around 3000 rpm, and like stated before you can feel and hear the boost variations.

On a side note, I'm also having a boost cut or fuel cut at the top of 4th gear, but ONLY when the car is having the above problem. When its cold outside, there isnt a single problem at all... Any one have any ideas?
 Old 01-31-2009, 05:41 AM   #5

buddhabum has a reputation beyond reputebuddhabum has a reputation beyond reputebuddhabum has a reputation beyond reputebuddhabum has a reputation beyond reputebuddhabum has a reputation beyond reputebuddhabum has a reputation beyond reputebuddhabum has a reputation beyond reputebuddhabum has a reputation beyond reputebuddhabum has a reputation beyond reputebuddhabum has a reputation beyond reputebuddhabum has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

Aren't there Gear dependent boost tables encoded in our ECU's?
buddhabum is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-09-2009, 04:35 PM   #6

Nliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,629 Times in 3,120 Posts
Groans: 67
Groaned at 17 Times in 16 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

This is my first time seeing this thread, and I've noticed the same exact thing. I don't know that I ever noticed it when I was bone stock, but I'm sure that it happened with my old BEGi intake and it also happens with my current setup, which is just a Cobb intake. No other engine/power mods at all...
Nliiitend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-09-2009, 04:53 PM   #7

Tcman2006 is a name known to allTcman2006 is a name known to allTcman2006 is a name known to allTcman2006 is a name known to allTcman2006 is a name known to allTcman2006 is a name known to all
Not Ranked  0 score     

Mine also does the same thing and all I have is Cobb sri. I actally have a dash hawk log of this in one of my threads. Under car feels jerky in 5 and 6 if u guys wanna take a look at it. I'm gonna put the stock air box on tomorrow to see if it makes a difference
Tcman2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #8

Not Ranked  0 score     

It's so weird. Some days it does it, and some days it doesn't. The majority of the time that it DOES do it, it happens when I start at an rpm LOWER than 2700 or so and once I reach 3000, it starts fluctuating. If I start out above 3000, it doesn't do it. I'm tempted to make the short trip to COBB in Plano to see what they have to say about it.
 Old 03-25-2009, 10:03 PM   #9

Guanaco is a glorious beacon of lightGuanaco is a glorious beacon of lightGuanaco is a glorious beacon of lightGuanaco is a glorious beacon of lightGuanaco is a glorious beacon of lightGuanaco is a glorious beacon of light
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

i have the same issue either. on 6th gear spikes to 18 then drops to 14 then goes up to 17 then goes donw to 14... does anyone find what it is? or any solutions???

Mods: Cobb SRI, Custom racepipe.
Guanaco is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-29-2009, 02:15 PM   #10

ssmspeed3 has a spectacular aura aboutssmspeed3 has a spectacular aura about
Not Ranked  0 score     

my car does this, and all i have is the cobb sri like most of you. i don't know the answer but, i put the stock airbox and everything back on and i'm going to take it to mazda tomorrow to check out the problem. will post back when i hear something.
ssmspeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-29-2009, 11:39 PM   #11

Guanaco is a glorious beacon of lightGuanaco is a glorious beacon of lightGuanaco is a glorious beacon of lightGuanaco is a glorious beacon of lightGuanaco is a glorious beacon of lightGuanaco is a glorious beacon of light
Not Ranked  0 score     

A WRXs friend will give me his APS bvp. ill make the flange as soon as possible to try that bvp to see if it will change anything.
Will post after i install the bvp...
by the way today a raced a friends 03 Z28 bone stock Camaro. owend me by half car (jumped me 1 car on first gear then i pulled back) rolling from 15-20 mph till 4th high.
Guanaco is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-30-2009, 12:22 AM   #12
Banned

glocK23 is the leader of the worldglocK23 is the leader of the worldglocK23 is the leader of the worldglocK23 is the leader of the worldglocK23 is the leader of the worldglocK23 is the leader of the worldglocK23 is the leader of the worldglocK23 is the leader of the worldglocK23 is the leader of the worldglocK23 is the leader of the worldglocK23 is the leader of the world
Groans: 701
Groaned at 655 Times in 620 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I've also been noticing some weird crap in 6th @ wot. every gear works perfectly @ wot except 6....WTF.

catless downpipe + cp-e ca
glocK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-31-2009, 12:03 AM   #13

bykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the world
Groans: 38
Groaned at 12 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

just curious why do you go wot in 6th gear? are you doing like 130mph already? I usually downshift to go wot by habit. I think the boost fluctuates because going wot in 6th loads your motor up and makes the boost build high and then your WG gets control of it and gets it back down then just when it wants to boost more your rpm's are high so boost is tapering off, so they fluctuate alot since theres so many factors playing in on it
bykeryder4life is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-31-2009, 08:18 AM   #14

ssmspeed3 has a spectacular aura aboutssmspeed3 has a spectacular aura about
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by bykeryder4life View Post
just curious why do you go wot in 6th gear? are you doing like 130mph already?
yes.
ssmspeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-31-2009, 04:32 PM   #15

bykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the worldbykeryder4life is the leader of the world
Groans: 38
Groaned at 12 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

you guys are nuts driving like that. when i got my car i took it to it's speed limit 155mph and since i havent gone past like 120...
bykeryder4life is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-02-2009, 11:42 PM   #16

curtspeed6 is infamous around these partscurtspeed6 is infamous around these partscurtspeed6 is infamous around these partscurtspeed6 is infamous around these parts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i was having the same problem with my speed6 and it seemed to slowly get worse, i decided earlier today that i would bring it to the dealership tomorrow and sure enough I BLEW IT UP TONIGHT... stop driving them
curtspeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-06-2009, 11:38 AM   #17

Not Ranked  0 score     

I stated that its happening in BOTH 5th and 6th gear. I also stated that I'm having either a fuel or boost cut in 4th gear. These things should NOT be happening on a car with nothing more than an intake on it.
 Old 04-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #18

surfwagon is the leader of the worldsurfwagon is the leader of the worldsurfwagon is the leader of the worldsurfwagon is the leader of the worldsurfwagon is the leader of the worldsurfwagon is the leader of the worldsurfwagon is the leader of the worldsurfwagon is the leader of the worldsurfwagon is the leader of the worldsurfwagon is the leader of the worldsurfwagon is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,276 Times in 113 Posts
Groans: 3
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Tobyboom View Post
I've had a little more time to drive the car, and it seems that my car like to have this problem when the weather is a bit warm. Its been really cold lately (30-40 deg.) but on certain days, it will get up to the 70-80 deg. range, and THAT is then the problem happens. It always starts right around 3000 rpm, and like stated before you can feel and hear the boost variations.

On a side note, I'm also having a boost cut or fuel cut at the top of 4th gear, but ONLY when the car is having the above problem. When its cold outside, there isnt a single problem at all... Any one have any ideas?

My problem exactly. I've talked about this in a few different posts over the past year. Search for stumble. The only answer has been "overloading the engine in a high gear and over-boosting". I need to find a boost leak tester. Does anyone have a link where to buy one?

2007 Mazdaspeed3 GT; Hypertech Tuned, MS CAI, ETS 3" TMIC, Catless CorkSport Down-Pipe, Catted Corksport Mid-Pipe, Corksport Cat-Back Exhaust, Forge II BPV, Cobb front and rear sway bars, KW V1 Coilovers, JBR Shifter Plate, TWM STS/Bushing, SU Rear Mount, GROM ipod link, Sub/Amp added to Bose - Sold

1995 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; SRI - ASHSPEC ECU - MBC @ 14psi - Turbo-Back Exhaust - Larger Intercoolers - RPS Street Sport Clutch - RPS Flywheel - Megan Springs - Subframe Spacers - 51,000 original miles - Thrill Ride and Sold

Last edited by surfwagon; 04-08-2009 at 08:50 PM. Reason: stupidity
surfwagon is offline   Reply With Quote