register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics - Have a problem with the car? CEL Code? Want to discuss other issues? Come on in!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kkostec

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 06-13-2018, 06:43 PM   #1

kkostec will become famous soon enough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Access Tuner Assistance Needed!!

Hey guys!

I am need of some quick clarifications and was wondering anyone with the Cobb Access Tuner could clarify something for me.

Situation: My second k04 failed so I fixed the problem by ordering a BNR S3 and etune from a well known supplier (don't want to put them on blast). Part of the upgrade I got an Autotech HPFP, 3.5 Bar Bosch MAP sensor with IAT, and the plug and play harness adapter. When I put all the pieces together, I put all the parts together and flashed the base/initial map. When I fired the car up, the check engine light came on with the code registering high voltage from the map sensor and after a few minutes smoke started coming out the exhaust smelling strongly of gas. Keep in mind, I did not have this issue prior to the turbo install - just the oil burning after extended idle time because of the k04.

Troubleshooting notes:
New Spark plugs gapped between 0.26 and 0.28 (recommendation and if I am missing a zero it is because I'm a tard)
Fresh Oil Change
HPFP has no leaks
Initial fire up had stock HPFP internals (long story) but subsequent start up is with Autotech HPFP with no change

Thinking it might be the PCV system (the car has 115k), I upgraded to a Damond PCV plate, new PCV valve, and a stage 1 Damond Oil Catch Can with a breather valve. This had no affect on my situation (but will future proof me from issues down the road).

I circled back with the Tuner about the check engine light a couple of weeks ago and they wanted me to confirm I ordered the right map sensor as I stated in my email. It's been over a week since I responded and my car has been down for a couple of weeks. What I need help with is confirming what MAP Sensor is indicated with my base tune so I can continue troubleshooting what is going on with my car.

If you can confirm the tune or help me with my issue, I would greatly appreciate it. I can PM you Bosch MAP Sensor part number.
 Old 06-13-2018, 08:07 PM   #2

Solarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the world
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

My notes:
Spark plug gap should be .026-.028"...the 0 matters greatly.
Correct part number for Bosch 3.5 Bar MAP sensor is 0281002456.

Since you're only on a base tune and shouldn't be going over 22 PSI, the easy way to see if it's your MAP sensor is to put your stock MAP back in, have tuner rescale the MAP back to stock, reflash, and see if you still get a code. If you do, something else is wrong. If you don't, it's either a bad/damaged MAP sensor or a bad tune.
Solarsurge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Solarsurge For This Useful Post:
Spectrix (06-14-2018)
 Old 06-14-2018, 04:54 AM   #3

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Correct, I am getting to that point, but my Tuner has been slow to respond so I was looking to see if somebody could confirm if the tune was scaled correctly. Tonight I will go test the signal voltage and look for the right parameters for the sensor.
 Old 06-14-2018, 05:08 AM   #4

BuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by kkostec View Post
Correct, I am getting to that point, but my Tuner has been slow to respond so I was looking to see if somebody could confirm if the tune was scaled correctly. Tonight I will go test the signal voltage and look for the right parameters for the sensor.
A quick way to see if your Map sensor is scaled correctly is to turn the ignition into the ON position and monitor 'Boost'. Take a quick 10 second log and then view it on your computer. It should read very close to 0 psi. If it's way off then the tuner may have scaled it either for a stock 2.5 bar sensor, or a 3 bar.

This is the link I used when I installed my 3 bar:
How-To: Painless 3 BAR MAP Sensor upgrade

And this is a link I found for the 3.5 bar (post #10 looks promising):
Tuning for 3.5Bar Map sensor with cobb ap
- 2009 Speed 3 - Clocked BNR S4 v2 - HTP 3" Intake - Cobb 3 Port Bcs - Cobb AP V2 - Guardian Angel V3 - Tr8 Fmic w/ Jbr Under Route Piping - Jbr Raiders Air Damn w/ Custom Radiator Side Ducting - Cpe Catless Dp - Cnt Catback - Cobb Xle Bpv - Corksport IM - Full Race EM - Cobb Shift Knob - Autotech Internals - Corksport HP Fuel Line - Gen 2 VC w/ Sp63 Oil Breather Cap - DM PCV Plate w/ Dual Vented Catch Cans - Jbr 88a Rmm - 88a Tmm - 80a Pmm - Corksport Injector Seals - Ngk 1 Step colder Plugs - Koni Yellow Shocks - Eibach Springs - 94 Oct w/ In Tank Methanol (2 Gallons) - Stock Fuel System (Installing 6th Port Soon) -
BuddySpeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-14-2018, 05:48 AM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks BuddySpeed3. I will try the On position boost reading tonight. When I put a voltage meter to it, should I expect the same signal voltage as a stock Sensor at 1.4 to 1.8 volts?
BuddySpeed3 likes this.

Last edited by kkostec; 06-14-2018 at 11:29 AM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
kkostec is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-14-2018, 05:56 PM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Good news, bad news.

Turned the key to the on position and checked the boost level on the ap. Not sure it is possible to have 38.9 lbs boost with the engine off. Curious, I started the car and at idle there was a -8.6 vacuum regardless of couple light throttle revs. Thanks for the feedback on how to check the tune. Off to bug the Tuner again.