register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics - Have a problem with the car? CEL Code? Want to discuss other issues? Come on in!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 12-03-2019, 11:00 AM   #1

Witness has a spectacular aura aboutWitness has a spectacular aura aboutWitness has a spectacular aura about
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default AFR stuck at 14.85 - HELP

Hello everyone,

The AFR on my accessport V3 is stuck at 14.85. I noticed the problem when it would intermittently peg at 14.85 but then work normally. I know the car isn't actually running lean and in fact is running rich for many reasons; the exhaust smells like fuel, the spark plugs are carbon fouled, my fuel consumption is really high and my LTFT are pegged at 20. This is because the 14.85 AFR is being read and trying to be corrected.

Im getting the codes:
P2187 - lean at idle
P2177 - lean at off idle
and the code for o2 sensor low voltage which I forgot the code for

I've replaced the o2 sensor already and need more ideas on what to look for. Is it possible I bought a dud o2? Is the problem with my harness?
Witness is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-03-2019, 02:35 PM   #2
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,010 Times in 2,809 Posts
Groans: 1,906
Groaned at 45 Times in 26 Posts

There are two O2 sensors. If your AFR is pegged at 14.85, then it is probably your primary O2 sensor that has failed. If you only replaced the secondary, then that wouldn't have addressed the issue with the primary sensor.

Also, did you buy a new O2 sensor, or was it used? If it was the latter, there's every chance that the sensor was already fouled by the time you got it.

Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-03-2019, 02:56 PM   #3

Witness has a spectacular aura aboutWitness has a spectacular aura aboutWitness has a spectacular aura about
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Vansquish View Post
There are two O2 sensors. If your AFR is pegged at 14.85, then it is probably your primary O2 sensor that has failed. If you only replaced the secondary, then that wouldn't have addressed the issue with the primary sensor.

Also, did you buy a new O2 sensor, or was it used? If it was the latter, there's every chance that the sensor was already fouled by the time you got it.
I replaced only the primary, not the secondary. It was a brand new $170 sensor
The Following User Says Thank You to Witness For This Useful Post:
Vansquish (12-03-2019)
 Old 12-03-2019, 07:07 PM   #4

C-love is a jewel in the roughC-love is a jewel in the roughC-love is a jewel in the roughC-love is a jewel in the rough
Not Ranked  0 score     

Have you captured logs of and/or monitored O2 voltage? I think it should be like a waveform going up and down on the primary if i recall...

If your AFR is static I would assume the signal would be as well coming from the O2 sensor.

Also, what intake are you running?

I had crazy high LTFTs (15-20) w/ the MSCAI, adding the air straightener brought it down to 5 in less than 5 min idling. My exhaust wreaked of gas too, super rich.

Last edited by C-love; 12-03-2019 at 07:07 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
C-love is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by C-love View Post
Have you captured logs of and/or monitored O2 voltage? I think it should be like a waveform going up and down on the primary if i recall...

If your AFR is static I would assume the signal would be as well coming from the O2 sensor.

Also, what intake are you running?

I had crazy high LTFTs (15-20) w/ the MSCAI, adding the air straightener brought it down to 5 in less than 5 min idling. My exhaust wreaked of gas too, super rich.
I have not captured logs of or monitored o2 voltage. Can I do that through my AP?
And I think my LTFTs are so high because for some reason my ecu is reading an AFR of 14.85. If the problem was with the AP for example, the car would run normally because the o2 sensor is actually working, but the AP is not.
 Old Yesterday, 08:31 AM   #6
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world

The AP is not the problem, though your tune could be an issue.

Could you please post a full list of your modifications? That may help us assist you in diagnosing your issues. In fact, if you could put your full mod list in your signature, that would streamline future diagnoses.

Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

The AP is not the problem, though your tune could be an issue.

Could you please post a full list of your modifications? That may help us assist you in diagnosing your issues. In fact, if you could put your full mod list in your signature, that would streamline future diagnoses.
yeah lol that would help
Balance shaft delete - JBR EGR delete - COBB intake - COBB front mount intercooler - COBB rear motormount - COBB electronic boost controller - COBB access port V3 - COBB blow off valve - Catless downpipe
Vansquish (Yesterday)
 Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM   #8
Police - Grammarhead

OK, and if I recall correctly, you're running a Cobb OTS stage 3 93 tune.

That tune is, at least theoretically, reasonably appropriate for the modifications on your car. So...

That brings us back to electrical issues (i.e. sensor/wiring harness/harness connections/etc.).

You might want to check out this thread: AFR stuck at 14.85

There are a couple of possible solutions in there, ranging from replacing a bad fuse or changing spark plugs, to having to replace the ECU.

As a place to start, you might want to try checking the ENGINE BAR fuse.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vansquish For This Useful Post:
C-love (Yesterday)
 Old Yesterday, 03:22 PM   #9

C-love is a jewel in the roughC-love is a jewel in the roughC-love is a jewel in the roughC-love is a jewel in the rough
Not Ranked  0 score     

Where do we get our AFR data, is that not from the 02 sensor?
 Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

OK, and if I recall correctly, you're running a Cobb OTS stage 3 93 tune.

That tune is, at least theoretically, reasonably appropriate for the modifications on your car. So...

That brings us back to electrical issues (i.e. sensor/wiring harness/harness connections/etc.).

You might want to check out this thread: AFR stuck at 14.85

There are a couple of possible solutions in there, ranging from replacing a bad fuse or changing spark plugs, to having to replace the ECU.

As a place to start, you might want to try checking the ENGINE BAR fuse.
I took a look at that thread before starting this one. I've replaced all my spark plugs gapped at 0.28 and checked all my fuses with a multimeter including the engine bar 3 fuse which I hoped would be blown because thats an easy fix.

Is there a thread that explains how to test if the female connectors on the wiring harness are good or bad? I'm guessing testing for continuity or something?
Balance shaft delete - JBR EGR delete - COBB intake - COBB front mount intercooler - COBB rear motormount - COBB electronic boost controller - COBB access port V3 - COBB blow off valve - Catless downpipe
 Old Yesterday, 04:24 PM   #11

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Witness View Post
I have not captured logs of or monitored o2 voltage. Can I do that through my AP?
And I think my LTFTs are so high because for some reason my ecu is reading an AFR of 14.85. If the problem was with the AP for example, the car would run normally because the o2 sensor is actually working, but the AP is not.
I'd imagine this is possible, although I haven't got to play w/ my accessport yet. My simple OBD2 Bluetooth adapter had this ability so I would be shocked if the AP did not. I'd definitely want to start there to be sure you're getting valid readings from the O2 sensor.
 Old Today, 08:32 AM   #12

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Is it possible the person at autozone sold me the wrong o2 sensor?
Could someone tell me what the part number is for the primary o2 sensor for a gen 1 ms3?
 Old Today, 09:35 AM   #13

LenSpeed6 has much to be proud ofLenSpeed6 has much to be proud ofLenSpeed6 has much to be proud ofLenSpeed6 has much to be proud ofLenSpeed6 has much to be proud ofLenSpeed6 has much to be proud ofLenSpeed6 has much to be proud ofLenSpeed6 has much to be proud of
Not Ranked  0 score     

you might want to return that, drop more coin and get an oem sensor.
Sure Diff Mounts, JBR Intake, JBR I/C Hoses, Wiesco pistons .5mm over, Molnar H-Beam Rods, King bearings, New to me Cylinder Block, CS turbo, CS catted turbo back exhaust, CS HPFP, CS EBCS, CS injector seals, AP v3, FREEKTUNE, rebuilt clutch from Falcon Clutch with kevlar lining, DM PCV plate, DM stage 1 OCC, EcoBoost oil pump, vented oil cap with baffle, Speed Solutions PTO bearing caps, All Damond mounts

To think... this is suppose to be my winter car... because,

'72 AMC Javelin AMX 366 CI, 4speed 13.13 quickest 1/4 mile et so far
'12 1/2 Triumph Daytona 675R stock some how
'79 AMC Spirit AMX, 4.6L stroker I6
LenSpeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LenSpeed6 For This Useful Post:
Vansquish (Today)
 Old Today, 10:15 AM   #14

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by LenSpeed6 View Post
you might want to return that, drop more coin and get an oem sensor.
cant return it because I've installed it already and drove with it on. So that was $200 that could've gone towards a tune.
Anyone know which one I should get from rock auto? They have many options.
 Old Today, 11:21 AM   #15

Not Ranked  0 score     

I feel like you might be jumping the gun here, have you made any efforts to see if there is valid sensor output yet? Beyond the AP or a BT adapter you can probably back-probe a connector.
 Old Today, 11:43 AM   #16

LenSpeed6 has much to be proud ofLenSpeed6 has much to be proud ofLenSpeed6 has much to be proud ofLenSpeed6 has much to be proud ofLenSpeed6 has much to be proud ofLenSpeed6 has much to be proud ofLenSpeed6 has much to be proud ofLenSpeed6 has much to be proud of
Not Ranked  0 score     

So correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a bunch of threads stating to stay away from aftermarket O2 sensors? Maybe it's just me and I'm full of shit but keep wasting time and money on a different aftermarket ones or just buy an oem one and be done if that is indeed your problem. I get it they are expensive and it'd be nice to put that money on towards a tune.
Sure Diff Mounts, JBR Intake, JBR I/C Hoses, Wiesco pistons .5mm over, Molnar H-Beam Rods, King bearings, New to me Cylinder Block, CS turbo, CS catted turbo back exhaust, CS HPFP, CS EBCS, CS injector seals, AP v3, FREEKTUNE, rebuilt clutch from Falcon Clutch with kevlar lining, DM PCV plate, DM stage 1 OCC, EcoBoost oil pump, vented oil cap with baffle, Speed Solutions PTO bearing caps, All Damond mounts

To think... this is suppose to be my winter car... because,

'72 AMC Javelin AMX 366 CI, 4speed 13.13 quickest 1/4 mile et so far
'12 1/2 Triumph Daytona 675R stock some how
'79 AMC Spirit AMX, 4.6L stroker I6
LenSpeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old Today, 12:07 PM   #17

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by LenSpeed6 View Post
So correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a bunch of threads stating to stay away from aftermarket O2 sensors? Maybe it's just me and I'm full of shit but keep wasting time and money on a different aftermarket ones or just buy an oem one and be done if that is indeed your problem. I get it they are expensive and it'd be nice to put that money on towards a tune.
I actually want an OEM sensor, not after market. When I went to the store, I asked for OEM and they gave me an NTK. So my question is, how do I go about getting an OEM sensor? I heard denso is the OEM one but Im not sure.

Originally Posted by C-love View Post
I feel like you might be jumping the gun here, have you made any efforts to see if there is valid sensor output yet? Beyond the AP or a BT adapter you can probably back-probe a connector.
I might be jumping the gun, but I have no idea how to back-probe the connector to check for valid sensor output.

Last edited by Witness; Today at 12:07 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
Vansquish (Today)
 Old Today, 12:35 PM   #18

tegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the world
Groans: 87
Not Ranked  0 score     

NGK/NTK and Denso are fine.
tegxsi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tegxsi For This Useful Post:
Vansquish (Today)
 Old Today, 01:43 PM   #19

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by tegxsi View Post
NGK/NTK and Denso are fine.
so this means either I bought a dud or the problem is with the harness or ECU (?)
 Old Today, 01:51 PM   #20
Police - Grammarhead

Could you post a couple of datalogs including some at idle, and at least one WOT log from ~3000rpm to at ~6000rpm?

Old Today, 05:32 PM   #21

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Witness View Post
To setup your parameters to log (be sure to select o2 sensor options):
https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wik...talog+Monitors

And to log:
https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wik...How+To+Datalog

« P0134 | - »