register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics - Have a problem with the car? CEL Code? Want to discuss other issues? Come on in!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Jeff23spl
  • 1 Post By MSMS3
  • 1 Post By Bingo
  • 1 Post By Jeff23spl

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 10-25-2019, 05:24 AM   #1

danny_speed3 has a spectacular aura aboutdanny_speed3 has a spectacular aura about
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Bad compression in Cyl 2 & 3....

So my worst nightmare just came true last night.

I just bought a 08 mazdaspeed3 from friends of friends last Saturday. Seemed to be in really good condition with 86k miles and they gave me a bunch of parts with it.
The car ran and shifted great, no smoking anywhere, dry as a bone underneath.

Decided to replace the spark plugs just to be safe and did a compression check since it was open.

I didn't have time to do a wet test because it got dark.

With two cylinders that close to eachother and that close in psi, I'm wondering if I have a cracked head gasket.

I don't have the gear to do a leakdown test. I'm just wondering what my next steps should be. And if anyone here has gone that route, how much would it cost to just take it to a shop and have them rebuild it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 Old 10-25-2019, 06:21 AM   #2

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

take it easy, you definitively have some wear but you are far from an engine that will stop working...It could be dirty valves or even injector seals, this is why i would do a leak down in that case...I ran 1 year with 1 at somewhere between 125-140psi...

rebuilding an engine without wrenching on it yourself...can go from 5 to 10k or even more depending on what you do along with it.
danny_speed3 likes this.

2007 rusted Speed6... Forged with meth and a 3076 in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...

If you check for leaks and you didn't made a test under compressor pressure, you aren't done checking for leaks....
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff23spl For This Useful Post:
cyclist20 (10-25-2019), MSMS3 (10-25-2019)
 Old 10-25-2019, 07:05 AM   #3

danny_speed3 has a spectacular aura aboutdanny_speed3 has a spectacular aura about
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Jeff23spl View Post
take it easy, you definitively have some wear but you are far from an engine that will stop working...It could be dirty valves or even injector seals, this is why i would do a leak down in that case...I ran 1 year with 1 at somewhere between 125-140psi...

rebuilding an engine without wrenching on it yourself...can go from 5 to 10k or even more depending on what you do along with it.

The only reason I believe it's a head gasket is because of how similar the low psi cylinders are. But I could be wrong and I wouldn't be too upset if I was.

I have a friend that might have leakdown stuff from his 2010 speed3. Do you think if I tried a wet compression it would help narrow down the possibilities?

Old 10-25-2019, 07:47 AM   #4

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,929 Times in 1,063 Posts
Groans: 157
Groaned at 47 Times in 31 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by danny_speed3 View Post
The only reason I believe it's a head gasket is because of how similar the low psi cylinders are. But I could be wrong and I wouldn't be too upset if I was.

I have a friend that might have leakdown stuff from his 2010 speed3. Do you think if I tried a wet compression it would help narrow down the possibilities?

Yes. The low cylinders are still within the minimum spec, which I think is 130 psi.

A wet test and a leak down test might help narrow things down. If you are not smoking or consuming oil, it might be the head gasket, but I would expect water in your oil, milky looking. Might be injector seals leaking compression. That would be an easier fix.
danny_speed3 likes this.

Sunlight Silver '08 MS3 GT Mods: (Sold 1/25/2019 after 10+ years of ownership)
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-25-2019, 09:13 AM   #5

Bingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the world
Groans: 16
Groaned at 9 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

So I did a compression test on my car a little over two years (20k miles) ago.
1: 140
2: 150
3: 110
4: 160
I burn about a quart every 1k miles, and I’m slightly modded and tuned to 20 psi on the K04. Leak down test had air coming from the oil cap confirming my suspicion that the rings have seen better days.
I’ve autocrossed my car multiple times since then without issues, and still have plenty of fun on on ramps. I still drive it like it should be.
This being said, I’m prepared for any catastrophic damage since it’s not my only car, and I do plan on rebuilding it when I’m done rebuilding another car.

Point is, low compression really is not the end of the world. As others have stated though, a leak down test will narrow down the cause, I highly doubt it’s the head gasket.
danny_speed3 likes this.

Things that don't: Gen Pu wheels, CPE center pod with Prosport boost, OP, and OT gauges, Eonon G9151A.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
danny_speed3 (10-28-2019)
 Old 10-25-2019, 03:17 PM   #6

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Agree with Bingo, if it didn't overheat and you are still on stock engine, head gasket is not likely the problem. there is a tendency to have #2 or #3 to let go first...i agree with peoples that believe it came from the intake design. middle runners tend to get a lil more air flow than the other 2 but all 4 get the same fuel and timing...They would make them run hotter and leaner and being the first to knock if knock occur...
danny_speed3 likes this.

Wife drive 2010 CX7

If you check for leaks and you didn't made a test under compressor pressure, you aren't done checking for leaks....
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff23spl For This Useful Post:
danny_speed3 (10-28-2019)
 Old 10-28-2019, 01:25 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Jeff23spl View Post
Agree with Bingo, if it didn't overheat and you are still on stock engine, head gasket is not likely the problem. there is a tendency to have #2 or #3 to let go first...i agree with peoples that believe it came from the intake design. middle runners tend to get a lil more air flow than the other 2 but all 4 get the same fuel and timing...They would make them run hotter and leaner and being the first to knock if knock occur...

I believe there might be some knock. I get readings from 5.95-21 while just cruising around town.

I haven't really done anymore a wot bc of current issues but when I did I think I only hit maybe 3.2 max, not sure though.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:08 AM   #8

Not Ranked  0 score     

under cruising conditions reading knock mean nothing as a brand new one will read some also....It is only under boost that it matter.
When mine was low compression i beated the shit out of it all the time and even made a dyno with friends where everyone was expecting my engine to blow up but because of the nature of the problem, it was just smoking a bit and i still made more than many others...

Wife drive 2010 CX7

Old 10-31-2019, 12:32 PM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well, just got the call from my mechanic.

All four cylinders are under 125psi, and cylinder 2 has no compression at all.

He recommended an upper rebuild, so he's still crunching the numbers and I haven't gotten a price yet but it's not looking good. I probably can't afford that let alone convince my wife.

I know this thread was dead anyway but I'm pretty upset friends of friends sold me this car and told me it was in such great shape and I just had to tell someone.

Take care of your cars people, there's only so many speeds left.

Old 11-02-2019, 01:24 AM   #10

Spectrix is the leader of the worldSpectrix is the leader of the worldSpectrix is the leader of the worldSpectrix is the leader of the worldSpectrix is the leader of the worldSpectrix is the leader of the worldSpectrix is the leader of the worldSpectrix is the leader of the worldSpectrix is the leader of the worldSpectrix is the leader of the worldSpectrix is the leader of the world
Groaned at 7 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

-------------------------------------------------------

Well, just got the call from my mechanic.

All four cylinders are under 125psi, and cylinder 2 has no compression at all.

I like your first set of numbers better. You sure the car is driving fine with zero compression on #2 ?

Cobb AP ~ Autotech HPFP Internals ~ HTP 3" Intake ~ Custom Testpipe ~ Cobb RSB ~ Sticky Tires.
Self tuned on E85

Last edited by Spectrix; 11-03-2019 at 03:26 AM.
Spectrix is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-02-2019, 03:26 AM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yea lol me too.

Not sure if I messed up the test or what but he got very different numbers.

Old 11-02-2019, 09:06 PM   #12

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,929 Times in 1,063 Posts
Groans: 157
Groaned at 47 Times in 31 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yea lol me too.

Not sure if I messed up the test or what but he got very different numbers.

Either you are not driving fine or you need a different mechanic. I really think you need a different mechanic. Here’s why:

I could see you making a mistake on cylinder 2 compression if you said it was zero psi, but how can you get a 152 psi reading and it actually be zero? Your compression gauge wouldn’t even move if there is no compression. You can’t “mess up the test” by getting a higher number than actual.

Sunlight Silver '08 MS3 GT Mods: (Sold 1/25/2019 after 10+ years of ownership)
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-03-2019, 06:01 AM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by MSMS3 View Post
Either you are not driving fine or you need a different mechanic. I really think you need a different mechanic. Here’s why:

I could see you making a mistake on cylinder 2 compression if you said it was zero psi, but how can you get a 152 psi reading and it actually be zero? Your compression gauge wouldn’t even move if there is no compression. You can’t “mess up the test” by getting a higher number than actual.

I might have to take it to a different guy, or do another compression test when I get it back. I told him I only wanted a quote for right now.

Looking for a different mechanic would be awkward, he's been a family friend for my whole life and he's one of the most honest guys I know. It's hard to believe he might be trying to pull a fast one on me...

Old 11-03-2019, 08:28 AM   #14

Not Ranked  0 score     

with 100psi the engine would run on 4 but with 0, it wouldn't run well so if it keep running, the last test was bad...you can just test it again...

Wife drive 2010 CX7