register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics - Have a problem with the car? CEL Code? Want to discuss other issues? Come on in!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 10-29-2014, 09:42 AM   #1

Mofford12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Bad Leakdown

07 speed6 with 87k miles ive been burning oil pretty bad lately and instead of just topping my oil off between each time I drive it im ready to just fix it.

all 4 pistons were "damp" with oil, 1 and 4 being the worst, I would say im burning 2 qts of oil every 100-120 miles. I don't smoke at idle, I do however smoke on WOT and after decelerating in gear.

recently installed another ko4 with 40k miles and my oil consumption did not change, I do not have oil in my intake, turbo housing or by my throttle body and I still checked checked my PCV just because, it was good smh. while my intake manifold was off I went ahead and cleaned the valves that sh*t was nasty car idles and runs 1000x better lol

now for the bad news

on leakdown we did 100psi and I had 25% leakage and you could hear air within the crankcase via the oil cap, so I suppose that's ringlands? looking for opinions here and my safest and best route to go as im not looking to go bt or make "big Power" id be happy at 350.

safe to say if block is in good shape I can hone it and drop stock pistons in it? with maybe some k1 rods?

my current "mods"
AutoTech HPFP internals
AP v3
JBR rmm
JBR SRI & TIP
M2 ebay Catless Downpipe
Mofford12 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-29-2014, 10:32 AM   #2

jack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the world
Thanked 17,251 Times in 3,181 Posts
Groans: 549
Groaned at 130 Times in 85 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

your shit is fucked up
UnknownSuperhero (10-29-2014)
 Old 10-29-2014, 10:46 AM   #3

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

ehhh time for a rebuild
 Old 10-29-2014, 11:06 AM   #4

sheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the world
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Wouldn't Ring land issues show up on the compression test as well? The compression numbers don't make sense to me. For one thing, they are high considering you are burning that much oil (may be the equavlent to a wet test?). Also, the compression number and leakdown number trends don't see to match.

Agreed, seems your K04 isn't the issue. What would cause that much oil consumption without knocking compression way down? I assume you aren't leaving puddles anywhere?
sheston is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-29-2014, 11:11 AM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

motor does not leak a drop, its happier with burning it lol

I have no clue what my issues could be, this car fires up as soon as I turn the key, it doesn't bog down, and idles like a brand new car. I feel like something should be obvious here..
 Old 10-29-2014, 11:27 AM   #6

ihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I've read a few threads here where people had oil usage issues and replacing the turbos didn't help. 2 qts in 100 miles is a heck of a lot of oil. In your shoes I'd probably save up and rebuild or you could always take it to a shop and let them diagnose.
It sure seems the speed6's like to show big problems around 85k miles, and I'm right around that mark too. Makes me nervous.

Good luck and keep us posted...
 Old 10-29-2014, 11:40 AM   #7
Fuck sushi rolls

rodrigo is the leader of the worldrodrigo is the leader of the worldrodrigo is the leader of the worldrodrigo is the leader of the worldrodrigo is the leader of the worldrodrigo is the leader of the worldrodrigo is the leader of the worldrodrigo is the leader of the worldrodrigo is the leader of the worldrodrigo is the leader of the worldrodrigo is the leader of the world
Thanked 24,871 Times in 7,890 Posts
Groans: 356
Groaned at 509 Times in 380 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

you're over thinking this man

pull the motor ... look at the #3 piston and its rings and the issue will become crystal clear

2007 Ms3 3071r fully bolted , retired and sold after 110k miles of abuse

2014 Black Track Pack premium , NA 4lyfe ...AED dyno tuned on E85 466.6whp / 406.8 TQ SAE

rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rodrigo For This Useful Post:
WetzMS3 (10-29-2014)
 Old 10-29-2014, 12:40 PM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok so to clarify another question, k1 h beam. Rods on stock pistons? Sound logical? Not looking to make big power here
 Old 10-29-2014, 01:48 PM   #9
Fuck sushi rolls

rodrigo is the leader of the worldrodrigo is the leader of the worldrodrigo is the leader of the worldrodrigo is the leader of the worldrodrigo is the leader of the worldrodrigo is the leader of the worldrodrigo is the leader of the worldrodrigo is the leader of the worldrodrigo is the leader of the worldrodrigo is the leader of the worldrodrigo is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

if if u are only after 350 why do any rod upgrade ? good tune and some bolt ons on e85 and done deal

2014 Black Track Pack premium , NA 4lyfe ...AED dyno tuned on E85 466.6whp / 406.8 TQ SAE

Old 10-29-2014, 01:54 PM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I thought about that but then I kinda thought to myself I might as well spend the extra monies to get some better rods in case I go BT.. from my understand as long as the rods are 22.5 mm wrist pin then I will be fine.. but I also need to disassemble my block and verify the cyclinder wall isn't damaged to the point that I can get by with just honing it
 Old 10-29-2014, 01:55 PM   #11

Turbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,901 Times in 524 Posts
Groans: 12
Not Ranked  0 score     

If you are going to put stock pistons in it, figure out why you cracked a ring land before you break a new piston.
The Car - 08.5 True Red MS3 GT - MODS -Cp-e nano sri, HTP 3" tip, Autotech internals, Custom fmic 28x8x3.5 cx core, Cobb ap, Autolite XP5263, Turbo_Steve SHIFT HAMMER SSP, TRZ rear mount. Atp Downpipe and custom catted mid pipe. JBR TIG, tb gasket & egr delete, XS POWER V2 turbo manifold, Aem 30-3000 WMI Kit, Ported intake By Turbo_Steve. ADAPTED PERFORMANCE SHIFT HAMMER SSP - ADAPTED PERFORMANCE ENGINE COVERS

Soon to come.

WHO KNOWS? A.D.D. FTW!
Turbo_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-29-2014, 02:01 PM   #12

stockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 59
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

25% isn't bad. Considering I had over 40% and car drove fine just used some oil. My rings looked fine.

In my built I've used wiseco ots and Manley h beams. If you are going to build might as well plan for the future. I would not put stock pistons rods into a fully bolted car.
2007 TR MazdaSpeed3:Autotech FP inernals, Cobb AP, Toyota Injector Seals, FR stud mod, FMIC, Fidanza flywheel/stock clutch, Forge BPV, DogBone Mounts, COBB SRI/PG Inlet pipe, Wiseco .20 Pistons/Manley Rods/BSD, DM/ebay catch cans, Koni Yellows/H&R springs, FD wheels, eBay downpipe, CNT catback

2005 Mazda 3 SP23: mod include rusty quarter panels and grinding 3rd gear. It does have a fusion motor, so I guess that's a mod too.
stockms3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-29-2014, 02:07 PM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

@stockms3 what was your problem then?

i guess i could do more research on aftermarket pistons, just not sure who to look towards, as peoples reviews are bias. im more on the side of wanted a DD speed with a nice stance an maybe one day down the road BT but until ill be ok with ko4 and some E85 lol
 Old 10-29-2014, 02:24 PM   #14

jack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the world
Thanked 17,251 Times in 3,181 Posts
Groans: 549
Groaned at 130 Times in 85 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

brownie, the problem is either:
you have no idea what you're doing
you have no idea what you want
you already know what you're going to do and just want someone to say you're doing the right thing. but even if they say you aren't, it doesn't matter because you're going to do it anyway.

you say in the OP that you don't want to go BT. but now you're saying you want forged rods in case you go BT.

you are asking for input for what to do, but now you say you don't want to read reviews because they're biased.

look, the shit isn't complicated. your engine is consuming oil. there are two options: you're leaking it or you're burning it. at that rate, you're burning it. there's one place to burn oil - your cylinders. there's one major way to get oil in the cylinders - through your piston rings. solution: replace pistons & rings.

you already diagnosed the issue. you know the solution. what the fuck are you doing wasting time here?
CrawlingMS3 (10-29-2014), Pointless (10-29-2014)
 Old 10-29-2014, 02:43 PM   #15
Fuck sushi rolls

Not Ranked  0 score     

this thread shoulda been stopped at

burning 2 qts of oil every 120 miles and it doesnt leak .....

enter common sense

....the real question is this ..... did u just purchase this pile of shit ? if so ...go get your $ back

Old 10-29-2014, 03:26 PM   #16

SilverDemon is the leader of the worldSilverDemon is the leader of the worldSilverDemon is the leader of the worldSilverDemon is the leader of the worldSilverDemon is the leader of the worldSilverDemon is the leader of the worldSilverDemon is the leader of the worldSilverDemon is the leader of the worldSilverDemon is the leader of the worldSilverDemon is the leader of the worldSilverDemon is the leader of the world
Thanked 9,132 Times in 2,122 Posts
Groans: 6
Not Ranked  0 score     

A few quick things I can think of, if you rebuild your motor you will not be able to keep the stock size pistons. Your block will have to bored to clean it up enough, which means larger pistons. You will need new main and rod bearings. If you go that far, new rods might as well go in. Bearings, rods, and pistons will run more than $1200. Then machining, cleaning and assembly will run another $700-900.

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely idiot proof is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete idiot.
- Douglas Adams

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
- Mark Twain

Cops carry guns to protect themselves, not to protect you.

READ THIS----
2nd Amendment
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the
right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible,
but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
SilverDemon is offline   Reply With Quote