register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics - Have a problem with the car? CEL Code? Want to discuss other issues? Come on in!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 03-16-2017, 11:04 PM   #1

mituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,968 Times in 1,123 Posts
Groans: 96
Groaned at 14 Times in 11 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default BNR S3, high boost/high WGDC and low air flow

So I'm trying to help a friend get his setup sorted out for a local event and then before he reaches out to a professional e-tuner.
He just got his BNR S3 and meth kit on and for some reason the boost we see from his BNR compared to the targeted load is pretty high for what I was expecting.

The setup is pretty much like this:
- custom TMIC;
- BNR S3;
- eBay catless downpipe;
- AEM meth kit spraying through a 500cc/min nozzle;
- HTP 3" intake;
- 3BAR MAP sensor;

I attached a 3rd-4th gear pull log, mind that the load targets are not hit even in the mid range (say 5000rpm).
The MAF cal was scaled down 5% to compensate for the meth spray and apart from slightly higher target load we don't have any major deviations from an OTS versatuner tune.

What can cause this significant strain on the turbo (both boost and WGDC) without seeing air flow values accordingly? We never had in mind 24PSI on this turbo, more like 21-22, but that's where it landed after targeting load values which are perfectly attainable o exceedable even on a stock K04 with similar flow mods.
Attached Images
File Type: gif load-targets-4th.gif (8.7 KB, 21 views)
Attached Files
File Type: csv 3MPS_BL-Data log - 2017-03-15 15.21.23.csv (17.5 KB, 8 views)
Bilstein B12 + CS Camber plates + Eibach camber arms, SSR Type-F, Michelin PSS 225/40/R18, Cobb RMM, StopTech Street Pads + Stoptech Slotted disks, SouthBend ENduro Stage3 clutch, genpu TMM + CS Insert, TheSpeedLine 2X Rear Cross Floor and Rear Middle Lower Strut bars, Tanabe 4 Point Under Brace, Whiteline Bumpsteeer corection kit
JBR Tru-3" + CS CAI Box, SU TMIC, Cobb XLE, NGK LTR7IX, UR v3 catted DP and res TP, Cobb CatBack, GS EBCS, Autotech internals, GTX3071, CS 3.5BAR, Guardian Angel, CoolingMist WMI
SP63 87.5mm 4032 9.5:1 pistons, Manley rods, CA625+ head studs, Clevite AL main bearings, King rod bearings, CP-e safe seals, DCR VVT, Koyorad radiator.
StratiVersaTuned FTW
mituc is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-17-2017, 10:08 AM   #2

tek_88 is a splendid one to beholdtek_88 is a splendid one to beholdtek_88 is a splendid one to beholdtek_88 is a splendid one to beholdtek_88 is a splendid one to beholdtek_88 is a splendid one to beholdtek_88 is a splendid one to beholdtek_88 is a splendid one to behold
Groans: 0
Groaned at 13 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

3bar map sensor, the map scalar tables need to be adjusted.
BNR S3 // Stock downpipe (hollowed) // Test pipe // Magnaflow CBE // Cp-e Tmic // 3" HTP // JBR Boost Tubes // JBR Thermal Gaskets // 3Bar Map // Corksport BPV // Egr Block-off // VTCS Disabled // AEM 100% meth (1000cc nozzle) // Cobb Ap V3 // Autotechs // GS 3-port // NGK 6510 // CA 91 oct
PurpleDrank Tuned by Will

Hardware
Cp-e Rear Diff Mount // SURE Juggernaut Front Diff Mount // AWR PMM // Cp-e RMM // Corksport TMM Inserts // DSS Axles // ACT 6-puck w/ Streetlite FW
Cosmetics
TRS Retrofit Bi-Xenon Projectors // 18x8.5 +35 XXR 557 // H&R Lowering Springs // S204 Lip
tek_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tek_88 For This Useful Post:
mituc (03-18-2017), Vansquish (03-17-2017)
 Old 03-17-2017, 06:50 PM   #3

sheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the world
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I found that running Meth messed up my cfm and loads, depending on how you scaled your MAF etc. I tried loading that run in Vdyno real quick, but couldn't get it to make sense. You might try that, but cutting it down to one gear.

I just made it so my AFRs were dialed in, my CFM is below 300 but Vdyno says I hit over 350 whp. I left it like this, because it was running well, etc

Run it thru Vd and see if the same is happening to you.
mituc (03-18-2017)
 Old 03-18-2017, 05:53 AM   #4

mituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by tek_88 View Post
3bar map sensor, the map scalar tables need to be adjusted.
Ok, we'll try some new values next time, however the high WGDC and low air flow remains.
ALso when WGDC exceeds like 90% we start seeing KR at the same loads and BATs where previously we had clear runs, which makes me think that the turbo indeed works hard and all that air flowing through the turbo only (less than 10% goes around it through the wastegate) is the source of knock.

Originally Posted by sheston View Post
I just made it so my AFRs were dialed in, my CFM is below 300 but Vdyno says I hit over 350 whp. I left it like this, because it was running well, etc

Run it thru Vd and see if the same is happening to you.
Fortunately in this case all was consistent... We've seen the same cfm (well, g/s) before meth and after adding meth prior to scaling the MAF. And now the current runs are consistent with what we've seen before adding meth, just that the turbo seems to work very hard to get those. It did work hard before meth as well, but now when we tried to extract more load we had the unpleasant surprise to see that the numbers we've seen before were actually the limit of the whole setup as it was then and as is now.
Bilstein B12 + CS Camber plates + Eibach camber arms, SSR Type-F, Michelin PSS 225/40/R18, Cobb RMM, StopTech Street Pads + Stoptech Slotted disks, SouthBend ENduro Stage3 clutch, genpu TMM + CS Insert, TheSpeedLine 2X Rear Cross Floor and Rear Middle Lower Strut bars, Tanabe 4 Point Under Brace, Whiteline Bumpsteeer corection kit
JBR Tru-3" + CS CAI Box, SU TMIC, Cobb XLE, NGK LTR7IX, UR v3 catted DP and res TP, Cobb CatBack, GS EBCS, Autotech internals, GTX3071, CS 3.5BAR, Guardian Angel, CoolingMist WMI
SP63 87.5mm 4032 9.5:1 pistons, Manley rods, CA625+ head studs, Clevite AL main bearings, King rod bearings, CP-e safe seals, DCR VVT, Koyorad radiator.
StratiVersaTuned FTW
 Old 03-18-2017, 07:29 PM   #5

sheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the world
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Something blocking the exhaust or TMIC flow? Air straightener come loose?
 Old 04-26-2017, 01:45 AM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So this is getting weirder.... The MAP scalars in the logging screen are correct, the g/s are still quite low from what we'd expect from this turbo.

A day ago or so I saw commanded AFRs in the stoich range while the actual AFRs were into the 9s, that in the middle of a WOT pull (begins at line 52 in the attached log).

The MAF g/s could be better especially high in the rev range at that boost (still around 22PSI).

From what I see the turbo (BNR S3) simply doesn't perform as it should, but it's hard to say frankly since I didn't encounter anything like this before.

Please let know what you guys think or what we should look at.
Attached Files
File Type: csv datalog132.csv (8.5 KB, 7 views)
StratiVersaTuned FTW
 Old 04-26-2017, 04:19 AM   #7

BuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by mituc View Post
So this is getting weirder.... The MAP scalars in the logging screen are correct, the g/s are still quite low from what we'd expect from this turbo.

A day ago or so I saw commanded AFRs in the stoich range while the actual AFRs were into the 9s, that in the middle of a WOT pull (begins at line 52 in the attached log).

The MAF g/s could be better especially high in the rev range at that boost (still around 22PSI).
In regards to the rich AFR, Maybe the OL Fuel Trims are trying to command less fuel to compensate for the meth?

And in regards to the low g/s, maybe the meth is taking up space in the intake manifold which reduces space for air from the intake to fit. It's kind of like when the EGR kicks in on a diesel, The inert gases reduce the g/s reading from the Maf sensor because they take up space.

Maybe try turning the meth off, reduce timing, and then try a pull?

Edit; Nvm, just read that it was doing it even with it off.

Like @sheston; said, it sounds like a blockage, preventing exhaust from exiting. How does the PCV system look?
- 2009 Speed 3 - BNR S4 V2 (22 Psi) - HTP 3" Intake - Cobb 3 Port Bcs - Cobb AP V2 - Guardian Angel V3 - Cpe Tmic - Cnt Catted Dp - 2 Resonators Deleted - Cobb Xle Bpv - Autotech Internals - Jbr Boost Tubes - Jbr Occ (Vta setup) - Jbr 88a Rmm - 88a Tmm - 80a Pmm - Corksport Injector Seals - Ngk 1 Step colder Plugs - Unplugged Egr - Replica Volk Te37's - Koni Yellow Shocks - Eibach Pro Kit - 94 Oct w/ In Tank Methanol (1.5 Gallons) - SP Stage 1 WMI 50/50 Mix (Strictly Cooling) -
BuddySpeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BuddySpeed3 For This Useful Post:
mituc (04-26-2017)
 Old 04-26-2017, 06:14 AM   #8

Mazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,667 Times in 1,831 Posts
Groaned at 21 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

The oddest thing is why is it targeting stoich? Was that run with the meth turned off?

Try making a new maf curve without the meth

2006 Mazdaspeed6 GT Crystal White Pearl #07141

Damond Motorsports = PS Cooler - RMM - PMM - OCC
VersaTuner = Versatune
Clutchmasters = 850 Street Twindisk
Corksport = RDM - CBE - RSB - TMM Insert
Turbine Tech = Forward Diff Mount - FMM
CP-e = Exhaust Manifold - Injector Seals
PTE = JB 5862
JMF = Intake Manifold w/Custom PI
Kozmic = Downpipe - 6th Port - EGR Delete
Forge = V2 BPV
Tial = 44mm WG
Autotech = HPFP Internals
HTP = 4" Intake - Battery Tray
Bilstein = B6 Shocks w/Eibach springs
Grimmspeed = EBCS
Technafit = SS Brake Lines - SS Clutch Line
Enkei = EVOX GSR 18x8.5 +38 - NT03+M 17x9.5 +38
Custom = FMIC w/TR1035 - Shifter Cables - Shifter Bushings
Mazdazilla6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazdazilla6 For This Useful Post:
mituc (04-26-2017)
 Old 04-26-2017, 06:37 AM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Mazdazilla6 View Post
The oddest thing is why is it targeting stoich? Was that run with the meth turned off?

Try making a new maf curve without the meth
Yes, that's the weirdest thing that happened so far. The MAF cal is called down about 5-6% so even if it runs out of meth things will not go too bad.

The OL trims are disabled, they are in place up to load 1.06 or something, so I would normally not expect any adjustments but I guess some threshold was exceeded on something which lead to this behaviour. It's like one of those cases when because of boost creep the WGDC go to 0. In this case the AFRs went a bit richer so the system targeted stoich.

Running without meth usually results in a bit of knock sometimes. It happens also because the gas there has a lower octane than advertised but I also suspect that the restriction is on the exhaust somewhere, and because of the strain on the hot side of the turbo we get this knock. An exhaust restriction would explain a few things including the poor performance.
StratiVersaTuned FTW
 Old 04-26-2017, 01:45 PM   #10

Poachersun will become famous soon enough
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks for your help guys. This is my car

OK so ill pull the exhaust off over the weekend and inspect the DP with an inspection cam and check the wastegate. The Ebay downpipe looks OK enough to flow but who knows. Also will check exhaust leaks if any.

I did change from my custom intercooler (3" core, stock end tanks) now to a CPE intercooler TMIC, as i thought maybe my custom one was reducing flow. The issues we are seeing have been pretty much from the start, i added meth to try fix the issue because we were getting knock as early as 8deg timing on pump.

The 98 octane/pump fuel shouldn't be an issue now as i am using a known quality 98 octane (93US i think?) which also has e10 (ethanol 10%) so it should be fine.
Poachersun is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-26-2017, 03:45 PM   #11

Mazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm somewhat skeptical of a restriction with a catless downpipe. It's also odd you're seeing knock with that low of timing. Something's not adding up.

VersaTuner = Versatune
PTE = JB 5862
Forge = V2 BPV
Tial = 44mm WG
Autotech = HPFP Internals
HTP = 4" Intake - Battery Tray
Bilstein = B6 Shocks w/Eibach springs
Grimmspeed = EBCS
Technafit = SS Brake Lines - SS Clutch Line
Enkei = EVOX GSR 18x8.5 +38 - NT03+M 17x9.5 +38
Custom = FMIC w/TR1035 - Shifter Cables - Shifter Bushings
Mazdazilla6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-26-2017, 04:00 PM   #12

Poachersun will become famous soon enough
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

That knock may have been the original fueling i was using. Comparing old logs we found a major difference and i think their claimed "98" (93us) was actually 95 or 91 US which dropped the octane giving knock. Temperatures may have been slightly higher too. I don't go to that gas station anymore as the Gull 98 with e10 which i am using now and other use have had no issues with.
Although we are still having issues now so who knows.

I will also check the spark plugs, although i replaced them 4-5000kms ago NKG 1 step colder plugs, gapped to .26. Ill check the gap and how they look

It's just so frustrating, especially for Victor when it's potentially something simple causing the issues(well, hopefully) we just can't narrow down what it is. It's meaning countless hours logging and testing.
Poachersun is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-26-2017, 04:14 PM   #13

Not Ranked  0 score     

.26? Be sure they're .026-.028". It's pretty common that gets mixed up. Anyway I doubt that's your issue.

VersaTuner = Versatune
PTE = JB 5862
Forge = V2 BPV
Tial = 44mm WG