register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics - Have a problem with the car? CEL Code? Want to discuss other issues? Come on in!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 07-21-2019, 10:44 AM   #1

njdurkin is an unknown quantity at this point
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Boost leak test method

I am trying to test for boost leak. At 5psi, i get air leaking from around a connector on top of the valve cover. I have the air line going to the valve cover closed off completely but still appear to be building pressure inside the valve cover. Is this bad for the valves or should i keep turning up the pressure to identify boost leaks. I cannot find any good information about this.
njdurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-21-2019, 03:45 PM   #2

Sensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the world
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Some of the intake valves will be opened when you pressurize the system you are unlikely to hurt anything. Many people run 20 psi plus of boost into the engine while it is running. If the tube from the VC to the TIP is leaking then replace it and put some clamps on it.
njdurkin (10-03-2019)
 Old 07-22-2019, 05:35 AM   #3

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

When intake valves are open it allows air into the valve cover?
 Old 07-22-2019, 08:14 AM   #4

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by njdurkin View Post
When intake valves are open it allows air into the valve cover?
yes air goes from maf tube, turbo, ic right into the intake. then it goes thru the opened valve down to the piston, past thru the tiny ring gap. From the engine bloc, it get back to the VC
But this should be just a little air because there is just few mills of an inch to let air flow by the rings.

All that assuming you disconnect and plug the tube going from air intake to the VC or connect your boost tester closer to the turbo..... If not, it is like sending pressure thru the oil dip stick....

if you have a massive leak, it may be your pcv...

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...

If you check for leaks and you didn't made a test under compressor pressure, you aren't done checking for leaks....
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff23spl For This Useful Post:
njdurkin (10-03-2019)
 Old 07-26-2019, 09:04 AM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

https://ibb.co/0FbwSmc
This is the current setup. I get air out of the metal opening where the hose goes to and the small hose that connects to the bpv. At 5psi i get a decent flow of air. At 15lbs it is too much flow for my compressor to keep up. Should i block the air from leaking or is it bad to pressurize the valve cover?
 Old 07-26-2019, 03:25 PM   #6

Sensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

https://ibb.co/0FbwSmc
This is the current setup. I get air out of the metal opening where the hose goes to and the small hose that connects to the bpv. At 5psi i get a decent flow of air. At 15lbs it is too much flow for my compressor to keep up. Should i block the air from leaking or is it bad to pressurize the valve cover?
What are you calling the "metal opening where the hose goes" is that the breather/crankcase vent that goes from the valve cover to the turbo inlet pipe?

It sounds like you've got some air leaking in the piston rings and/or valve seals. But you don't have any traditional boost leaks between the turbo and the throttle body. A compression and leakdown test would be the next step for evaluating engine health. I'm not quite clear on what you are trying to figure out here or accomplish. Do you have a specific concern?
njdurkin (10-03-2019)
 Old 07-26-2019, 09:10 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

The main thing was to learn how to do a boost leak test and figure out why i was building pressure in my valve cover. The reason i am doing this is because i am only hitting 10 or 11 pounds of peak boost when my targets are over 15.
 Old 07-26-2019, 09:15 PM   #8
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,979 Times in 2,782 Posts
Groans: 1,901
Groaned at 45 Times in 26 Posts

The main thing was to learn how to do a boost leak test and figure out why i was building pressure in my valve cover. The reason i am doing this is because i am only hitting 10 or 11 pounds of peak boost when my targets are over 15.
What tune map are you running?

Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-27-2019, 08:35 AM   #9

Not Ranked  0 score     

I just fixed my car having only spring pressure boost levels and high waste gate duty cycle. The boost control solenoid was broken and always closed. Test the Boost control solenoid. You could also have a clogged line going to or from the BCS. Replace the 4mm line that runs from the top of the wastegate actuator to the BCS and the 4mm line that runs from the BCS to the TIP. Also replace the 6mm line that runs from the turbo compressor housing to the bottom of the wastegate actuator. Secure the lines with the proper sized clamps. Use thick walled silicone lines. Rubber lines will crack and break do to the heat and pressure from the turbo.

It could also be a wiring issue or problem with the PCM not sending the signal to the BCS. There's a test procedure in the FSM I attached the pages.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_20190727-113224.png (230.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: png Screenshot_20190727-113235.png (391.3 KB, 14 views)
 Old 07-28-2019, 04:42 AM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thank you for your help. I will try your suggestions.
Btw i am running the Stage1+ with IC 93 v234 tune right now. Ive tried different stage 2 and stage 1 tunes with no difference.

Last edited by njdurkin; 07-28-2019 at 06:05 AM.
 Old 08-25-2019, 12:36 PM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Okay I did a compression test. 145, 140 143, 141

I think that's good right? 120k miles on engine.

But I cant test that waste gate in the procedure you posted because I dont have a vacuum generator. I also dont know where those pcm connections are. The pcm is on drivers side under dash right? I found connectors but none with 4 rows of connections like it shows on the picture.
 Old 08-25-2019, 01:19 PM   #12

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

But I cant test that waste gate in the procedure you posted because I dont have a vacuum generator. I also dont know where those pcm connections are. The pcm is on drivers side under dash right? I found connectors but none with 4 rows of connections like it shows on the picture.

I did test the bcs and it allows flow when 12v are applied and no flow when no voltage is applied. So that seems to check out.
 Old 08-25-2019, 07:21 PM   #13

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,882 Times in 1,029 Posts
Groans: 150
Groaned at 47 Times in 31 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Do your boost leak test by attaching directly to the turbo compressor side, not the turbo inlet pipe.

I did test the bcs and it allows flow when 12v are applied and no flow when no voltage is applied. So that seems to check out.
Did you test with the engine warmed up? That’s the way to do it. And retest with a squirt of oil in the cylinder and see if it goes up significantly.

At almost 140,000 miles mine was 185-190 across the board without adding oil. Your numbers seem low, but they are uniform, which is hopeful. You may want to do or have done a cylinder leak down test.

Sunlight Silver '08 MS3 GT Mods: (Sold 1/25/2019 after 10+ years of ownership)
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.

Last edited by MSMS3; 08-25-2019 at 07:30 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MSMS3 For This Useful Post:
njdurkin (10-03-2019)
 Old 08-25-2019, 08:29 PM   #14

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yes I did do it with the engine fully warmed up. And no I did not do a wet compression test because my results were in spec with the dry test. I can do a wet test another day. I can do a leak down test too.
 Old 08-26-2019, 05:07 AM   #15

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yes I did do it with the engine fully warmed up. And no I did not do a wet compression test because my results were in spec with the dry test. I can do a wet test another day. I can do a leak down test too.
130 psi is the “in spec” absolute minimum, so you are “ok”, but just barely. It would be worthwhile to do a wet test to see if this is cylinder wear/rings. You could also have carbon build up not letting intake valves completely seal. Although the pressures are uniform, a leak down test might still be useful.

I agree that replacing the 4mm hoses to and from the ebcs and the 6mm hose to the turbo from wastegate is a good idea. They dry out, get brittle and develop little cracks that you really can’t see. Confirm proper routing. They don’t have to be high pressure silicone. Regular vacuum line hose is ok, but silicone will last longer, if you can find it.

BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.

Last edited by MSMS3; 08-26-2019 at 05:20 AM.
njdurkin (10-03-2019)
 Old 08-26-2019, 11:45 AM   #16

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 23
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

For addition reference, I pulled my 157k mile motor when it still had 180-185 compression numbers.
Versatuner, 3-bar MAP, ITV22, CP-e TMIC
CS Turbo/DP/RP/HPFP/BPV/R-DiffMount
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Rear Russian Bushings, Poly FSB Bushings
Magnaflow CBE, ACT 6-puck/Streetlite
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/OCC/PCV Plate
Other rides:
2014 F-150 XLT SuperCrew Ecoboost
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (13.467 @ 105.44)
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fstrnyou For This Useful Post:
MSMS3 (08-28-2019), njdurkin (10-03-2019)
 Old 08-28-2019, 02:16 AM   #17
MSF's Punishing Member

Pu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,315 Times in 1,859 Posts
Groans: 546
Groaned at 179 Times in 116 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Tester could also just read low if it hasn't been cross-referenced against another tester, it's a common complaint for testers from harbor freight.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pu Manchu For This Useful Post:
Jeff23spl (09-25-2019), MSMS3 (08-28-2019), njdurkin (10-03-2019)
 Old 09-25-2019, 06:14 AM   #18

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I havent done a leak down test yet, but I was thinking. Would that even affect my boost pressure? If my piston rings can hold over 100psi, they should be able to hold 17psi of boost pressure during the intake stroke right? I'm thinking my problem is elsewhere. The other thing I noticed is the car stutters a little at low speeds during regular driving. It's the same exact thing it does when the ac compressor kicks on, except the ac is off. Not sure if that is a separate issue or not but I thought I'd mention it.
 Old 09-25-2019, 07:24 AM   #19

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

keep in mind your 17psi get compressed 9.5x when the pistons goes up and the pressure increase even more under combustion....So your rings needs to fight a way more stress than 17psi....
What you want to see with a compression test is equal reading and it is what you have....high numbers is fun but you 14x is to me, more related to scaling error than a real equal heavy wear....
Most of the time it is the gage and if not, it can be just the way you tested it.... not opening the throttle or doing it on a cold engine, low battery, not enough turns etc....

I have 2 compression gages and one of them isn't reading more than 120psi regardless of the engine, and the other one is ok against my friend gage....

Wife drive 2010 CX7

If you check for leaks and you didn't made a test under compressor pressure, you aren't done checking for leaks....
njdurkin (10-03-2019)
 Old 09-25-2019, 07:49 AM   #20

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I think this thread went off on a tangent from boost leak test to compression test.

OP identified that the boost leak test was causing some leakage into the crankcase and someone suggested to do a compression and leakdown test. So now the OP is doing compression tests and not making any progress on why his boost numbers are low.
Jeff23spl likes this.
Other rides:
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
njdurkin (10-03-2019), Pu Manchu (09-25-2019)
 Old 09-25-2019, 09:34 AM   #21

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Fstrnyou View Post
I think this thread went off on a tangent from boost leak test to compression test.

OP identified that the boost leak test was causing some leakage into the crankcase and someone suggested to do a compression and leakdown test. So now the OP is doing compression tests and not making any progress on why his boost numbers are low.
Yes and on that note, is it normal to have crank case pressure and valve cover pressure when doing a boost leak test? I mean it probably is leaking past my turbo seal right? Could that be the cause of my lost boost? Is it leaking past my turbo seal? Do I need a new turbo?
 Old 09-25-2019, 11:07 AM   #22

Not Ranked  0 score     

If you didn't unplug and cap the VC breather from your inlet pipe, yes you have a direct path to pressurise crankcase during the test.
If you did and still have air, it is either the PCV or across your valves and rings...

Bad turbo seals are mostly on the exaust side of the turbo not related to boost leak test.
And bad seal aren't suppose to reduce boost unless the bearing/bushing is worn enough to touch the cover just before wheel explosion (not very common with our k04) or the consumed oil reduce your octane enough to read knock and have the ecu to protect the engine....

Wife drive 2010 CX7

njdurkin (10-03-2019)
 Old 09-27-2019, 06:08 AM   #23

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So what do you suggest that I do?

Originally Posted by Jeff23spl View Post
If you didn't unplug and cap the VC breather from your inlet pipe, yes you have a direct path to pressurise crankcase during the test.
If you did and still have air, it is either the PCV or across your valves and rings...

Bad turbo seals are mostly on the exaust side of the turbo not related to boost leak test.
And bad seal aren't suppose to reduce boost unless the bearing/bushing is worn enough to touch the cover just before wheel explosion (not very common with our k04) or the consumed oil reduce your octane enough to read knock and have the ecu to protect the engine....
 Old 09-27-2019, 12:40 PM   #24

Not Ranked  0 score     

i would increase wastegate duty to see if it raise boost or not and check further from there...

Wife drive 2010 CX7

njdurkin (10-03-2019)
 Old 09-27-2019, 03:47 PM   #25

Not Ranked  0 score     

So what do you suggest that I do?
What you do depends on what you did. Jeff offered 2 scenarios and you didn't identify which one you did, so he/we can't tell you what to do.
Other rides:
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
Jeff23spl (09-30-2019), njdurkin (10-03-2019)
 Old 09-27-2019, 08:43 PM   #26

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I thought we already discussed this earlier in this post. I get air out of the valve cover vent plug opening, with the hose pinched from the inlet hose. See picture I posted earlier in this post. I will try to increase waste gate duty cycle.
 Old 09-30-2019, 06:53 AM   #27

Not Ranked  0 score     

at this point, i would disconnect the wastegate actuator vaccuum hose and beat it until it zz boom....
But seriously you could still do that but install a mechanical boost gage and carefully and slowly load the engine to see if you can easily raise it to 16-18psi....if it goes, you will know the engine,turbo and piping isn,tt what limit it from going high boost...
But it can easily raise to 25+ psi at the sweet spot, knock and ZZB in few seconds...so you need to be quick and let it go...

Wife drive 2010 CX7

njdurkin (10-03-2019)
 Old 09-30-2019, 05:34 PM   #28

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Does the ap gauge only show fuel pressure up to 1669? Or does the sensor only read up to 1669? When I do a pull it jumps to 1669 and stays there. It's the highest it goes. And yes I do have the upgraded fuel internals. I'll do a pull tomorrow and record it for you guys. Btw, increased duty cycle plus 10%, max boost is still a little over 12psi. Pulls harder between 3k and 4.5k rpm but falls on its face after that. Turning duty cycle back to 0 before pull tomorrow.
 Old 10-01-2019, 06:56 AM   #29
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world

The AP can definitely read above 1669psi.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vansquish For This Useful Post:
njdurkin (10-03-2019)
 Old 10-01-2019, 11:13 AM   #30

Not Ranked  0 score     

pump pressure follow commanded pressure and when i look a speed6 stock tune i see a commanded of 1669psi....about normal

and it remain also normal to have this car to fall on his face above 5xxx rpm, the turbo is maxed out

Wife drive 2010 CX7

njdurkin (10-03-2019)
 Old 10-01-2019, 12:31 PM   #31

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hGK...ew?usp=sharing

Hopefully you can view this. I am having trouble attaching files to this site. I can see here that the actual fuel pressure is higher than the command. Still not getting to 17psi target, or anywhere close. Thought maybe the fuel could be the issue but I will go back to troubleshooting the wastegate and such as suggested above.

Also, since raising duty cycle of waste gate by 10% (which is the most it will let me) and only gaining 1psi, is that normal? Does that tell you anything?
 Old 10-01-2019, 01:55 PM   #32
Police - Grammarhead

You're running super lean through most of that pull. You should be around 11.0 - 11.8:1 for the entirety of your WOT pull. Instead, your datalog shows that the engine is sitting between 12:1 and 14:1. This is dangerous for your engine, and obviously indicates that something is wrong. Normally, I would say that this is a post MAF, pre turbo leak, to create the lean AFRs . . . but/and

The low boost values strongly suggest a boost leak. That is, the low boost values suggest that you've got a leak between the turbo and the intake ports.

Your log shows Mass Airflow g/s values that indicate very low airflow volume for the engine speed. This definitely shows a lack of boost, and you should be hitting higher boost and load numbers for the amount of wastegate duty cycle that you're targeting.

Accordingly, I would suggest that you recheck all the bypass valve, the boost tubes, the intercooler, and associated connections, and that you make sure that your EBCS is hooked up and functioning correctly.

To me, it looks like you're just barely getting above wastegate spring pressure, though this could also very well be the shitty COBB map that you're running too.

Is your PCV hooked up properly? Do you have an oil catch can?

The Following User Says Thank You to Vansquish For This Useful Post:
njdurkin (10-03-2019)
 Old 10-02-2019, 05:49 AM   #33

Not Ranked  0 score     

pump pressure follow commanded pressure and when i look a speed6 stock tune i see a commanded of 1669psi....about normal

and it remain also normal to have this car to fall on his face above 5xxx rpm, the turbo is maxed out
If you add a good SRI or CAI, open up the exhaust side (aftermarket dp/rp) and tune with rich AFR for cylinder cooling, taper boost and increase timing you can make good power all the way to at least 6,200 rpm on the stock K04.

But, you are right that on stock tune, the ECU does start closing the throttle body after 5,500 rpm.

njdurkin (10-03-2019)
 Old 10-02-2019, 08:27 AM   #34

Not Ranked  0 score     

This ^^^
I would start at 1 point and deeply make sure it is ok before moving to something else to check.
For exemple, to check the pre-turbo leak, completely remove the tih to see if there is no cracks in it and make sure when you put it back that it is perfectly seated into the turbo inlet. watch the ebcs plastic nipples easy to break.

Try a new filter from a different brand or test run without one and pay attention if you have a cai with few 90 deg without a flow straithner in the maf hosing...it may affect reading.
Validate your maf part number to be sure it is a genuine one from a turbo model.

Once this part is ok, you could put back oem tmic to limit leak possibility in case you have a more complex fmic...
Then if it start to work better, you can re-install parts one by one and test in between to see which one is making the problem....

Wife drive 2010 CX7

njdurkin (10-03-2019)
 Old 10-02-2019, 05:18 PM   #35

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I hooked up directly to the turbo inlet and plugged the turbo outlet that goes to the intercooler piping. I lose the same amount of air doing this as I do pressurizing the whole system. The only way for the air to go is through the oil piping. If it is normal for air to go through the oil feed line and/or the oil drain line when doing a boost leak test, then I do not believe I have an air leak. I spent two hours checking bolts, spraying soapy water listening. There are no boost leaks besides, like I said, the air going out of the oil feed and/or drain lines and then out through the valve cover vent port.

I removed the turbo inlet pipe and all hoses to check for cracks and blow air through to make sure all lines were clear and connections are tight.

I have a question about the boost control solenoid (I think that's what its called) does it matter which hose goes where? Right now it has the hose on the end going to the tip. See picture in next post for the routing of the one going to the wastegate.
 Old 10-02-2019, 05:24 PM   #36

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Also see this:
https://youtu.be/QNNjpGQoWZk
Seems like I need a new turbo, unless this is normal?

The picture below shows the hose going to the wastegate. The yellow is paint marker. That iwhere the hose coming from the tip goes.

AND I want to thank everyone that has contributed tothisthread.ei
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Resized_20191002_185813_3843.jpeg (1.09 MB, 10 views)

Last edited by njdurkin; 10-03-2019 at 03:56 AM.
 Old 10-03-2019, 05:22 AM   #37

Not Ranked  0 score     

The thing you mention about turbo leaking sound weird to me, it may leak naturally just a little but i would be surprise it would leaks a lot. if i have a chance i will test it on spare parts to see but you have few seals and a tight bushing filled with oil to block the path....

the ebcs should be closed at rest and open freely when energized with 12v

Wife drive 2010 CX7

Old 10-03-2019, 10:06 AM   #38

Not Ranked  0 score     

oups well, i did see your video and if the camera angle isn't increasing the effect of the play, your turbo is shot. It's looking like you have almost 8-10mm of play when it usually have just about 1. you may even see marks of the wheel against the housing and someday the wheel may fly apart rubbing the case...

Wife drive 2010 CX7

Old 10-03-2019, 10:10 AM   #39

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

oups well, i did see your video and if the camera angle isn't increasing the effect of the play, your turbo is shot. It's looking like you have almost 8-10mm of play when it usually have just about 1. you may even see marks of the wheel against the housing and someday the wheel may fly apart rubbing the case...
Not sure where you are spotting 8mm but I'm thinking about 3 or 4 at the most.
 Old 10-03-2019, 10:13 AM   #40
Police - Grammarhead

Well, in either case, the turbo is shot. If you're looking for a replacement, I can offer my stock turbo as listed here: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...4-sale-221700/