register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics - Have a problem with the car? CEL Code? Want to discuss other issues? Come on in!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 07-21-2019, 10:44 AM   #1

njdurkin is an unknown quantity at this point
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Boost leak test method

I am trying to test for boost leak. At 5psi, i get air leaking from around a connector on top of the valve cover. I have the air line going to the valve cover closed off completely but still appear to be building pressure inside the valve cover. Is this bad for the valves or should i keep turning up the pressure to identify boost leaks. I cannot find any good information about this.
njdurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-21-2019, 03:45 PM   #2

Sensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the world
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Some of the intake valves will be opened when you pressurize the system you are unlikely to hurt anything. Many people run 20 psi plus of boost into the engine while it is running. If the tube from the VC to the TIP is leaking then replace it and put some clamps on it.
 Old 07-22-2019, 05:35 AM   #3

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

When intake valves are open it allows air into the valve cover?
 Old 07-22-2019, 08:14 AM   #4

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by njdurkin View Post
When intake valves are open it allows air into the valve cover?
yes air goes from maf tube, turbo, ic right into the intake. then it goes thru the opened valve down to the piston, past thru the tiny ring gap. From the engine bloc, it get back to the VC
But this should be just a little air because there is just few mills of an inch to let air flow by the rings.

All that assuming you disconnect and plug the tube going from air intake to the VC or connect your boost tester closer to the turbo..... If not, it is like sending pressure thru the oil dip stick....

if you have a massive leak, it may be your pcv...

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...

If you check for leaks and you didn't made a test under compressor pressure, you aren't done checking for leaks....
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-26-2019, 09:04 AM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

https://ibb.co/0FbwSmc
This is the current setup. I get air out of the metal opening where the hose goes to and the small hose that connects to the bpv. At 5psi i get a decent flow of air. At 15lbs it is too much flow for my compressor to keep up. Should i block the air from leaking or is it bad to pressurize the valve cover?
 Old 07-26-2019, 03:25 PM   #6

Sensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the worldSensei is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

https://ibb.co/0FbwSmc
This is the current setup. I get air out of the metal opening where the hose goes to and the small hose that connects to the bpv. At 5psi i get a decent flow of air. At 15lbs it is too much flow for my compressor to keep up. Should i block the air from leaking or is it bad to pressurize the valve cover?
What are you calling the "metal opening where the hose goes" is that the breather/crankcase vent that goes from the valve cover to the turbo inlet pipe?

It sounds like you've got some air leaking in the piston rings and/or valve seals. But you don't have any traditional boost leaks between the turbo and the throttle body. A compression and leakdown test would be the next step for evaluating engine health. I'm not quite clear on what you are trying to figure out here or accomplish. Do you have a specific concern?
 Old 07-26-2019, 09:10 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

The main thing was to learn how to do a boost leak test and figure out why i was building pressure in my valve cover. The reason i am doing this is because i am only hitting 10 or 11 pounds of peak boost when my targets are over 15.
 Old 07-26-2019, 09:15 PM   #8
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,941 Times in 2,755 Posts
Groans: 1,894
Groaned at 45 Times in 26 Posts

The main thing was to learn how to do a boost leak test and figure out why i was building pressure in my valve cover. The reason i am doing this is because i am only hitting 10 or 11 pounds of peak boost when my targets are over 15.
What tune map are you running?

Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-27-2019, 08:35 AM   #9

Not Ranked  0 score     

I just fixed my car having only spring pressure boost levels and high waste gate duty cycle. The boost control solenoid was broken and always closed. Test the Boost control solenoid. You could also have a clogged line going to or from the BCS. Replace the 4mm line that runs from the top of the wastegate actuator to the BCS and the 4mm line that runs from the BCS to the TIP. Also replace the 6mm line that runs from the turbo compressor housing to the bottom of the wastegate actuator. Secure the lines with the proper sized clamps. Use thick walled silicone lines. Rubber lines will crack and break do to the heat and pressure from the turbo.

It could also be a wiring issue or problem with the PCM not sending the signal to the BCS. There's a test procedure in the FSM I attached the pages.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_20190727-113224.png (230.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: png Screenshot_20190727-113235.png (391.3 KB, 3 views)
 Old 07-28-2019, 04:42 AM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thank you for your help. I will try your suggestions.
Btw i am running the Stage1+ with IC 93 v234 tune right now. Ive tried different stage 2 and stage 1 tunes with no difference.

Last edited by njdurkin; 07-28-2019 at 06:05 AM.