register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics - Have a problem with the car? CEL Code? Want to discuss other issues? Come on in!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree37Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 07-30-2016, 11:22 AM   #161

Inzane81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hey guys quick question for anyone who has ordered the shims from a dealer; it seems to me that the shims come in a pack of 4,but when I got mine there was only one in the bag, and the bag had a hole in it and was taped shut. This clearly looks like the dealership trying to screw me over but before I go explosive ape shit on them I thought I would check to see if this is normal.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
Inzane81 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-30-2016, 11:32 AM   #162

ryguy 3 has a reputation beyond reputeryguy 3 has a reputation beyond reputeryguy 3 has a reputation beyond reputeryguy 3 has a reputation beyond reputeryguy 3 has a reputation beyond reputeryguy 3 has a reputation beyond reputeryguy 3 has a reputation beyond reputeryguy 3 has a reputation beyond reputeryguy 3 has a reputation beyond reputeryguy 3 has a reputation beyond reputeryguy 3 has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Inzane81 View Post
Hey guys quick question for anyone who has ordered the shims from a dealer; it seems to me that the shims come in a pack of 4,but when I got mine there was only one in the bag, and the bag had a hole in it and was taped shut. This clearly looks like the dealership trying to screw me over but before I go explosive ape shit on them I thought I would check to see if this is normal.

The bag says qty:1 on it..

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
ryguy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-30-2016, 11:34 AM   #163

Inzane81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ryguy 3 View Post
The bag says qty:1 on it..

Yes but the ordering form says they come in a 4 pack, and the bag has a hole in it. If there was just one originally, why would there be a hole in the bag?

Inzane81 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-06-2016, 12:43 PM   #164

Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hi,

Did you ever post that video? I'm wondering if I have the same issue. My A/C compressor stopped working, I hear the noise of metal scraping on metal and sometimes a burnt smell.

I'm wondering whether the bearing is bad or whether it's something else and, god forbid, I have to change the whole compressor.
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-06-2016, 07:23 PM   #165

Pyronaut is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by thrisnospork View Post
Based off of what I've read in this thread you can't tell if the bearing is bad without pulling it out. I would just replace it since you have the pulley out already so you don't have to worry about it later. As far as removing it I think you'll be fine if you carefully pry it out with a flathead.
I tried hitting it from the back with a flat head and hammer, but couldn't get it to come out. Then I tried putting all my weight on it with a crowbar, but it still wouldn't come out. I even got desperate and put it under a jack stand, with the column on the bearing, then lowered my car onto the jack stand and hoped that would make it come out, and it still didn't. Man, those little tabs holding it in are strong!

I don't think trying to pry it out with a screwdriver would actually work. Any other way to get it out without grinding those tabs off, or trying to find a place with a hydraulic press that could press it out for me and put the new one in?

I've attached pics of what it looks like after I had a go at it. If I try to grind the tabs off (not even sure how I'd do that), would the new bearing still stay in the pulley?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160806_151021897_HDR.jpg (1.98 MB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160806_151002314.jpg (1.74 MB, 27 views)

Last edited by Pyronaut; 08-07-2016 at 01:57 PM.
Pyronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-07-2016, 10:34 PM   #166

thrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond reputethrisnospork has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Pyronaut View Post
I tried hitting it from the back with a flat head and hammer, but couldn't get it to come out. Then I tried putting all my weight on it with a crowbar, but it still wouldn't come out. I even got desperate and put it under a jack stand, with the column on the bearing, then lowered my car onto the jack stand and hoped that would make it come out, and it still didn't. Man, those little tabs holding it in are strong!

I don't think trying to pry it out with a screwdriver would actually work. Any other way to get it out without grinding those tabs off, or trying to find a place with a hydraulic press that could press it out for me and put the new one in?

I've attached pics of what it looks like after I had a go at it. If I try to grind the tabs off (not even sure how I'd do that), would the new bearing still stay in the pulley?
I've yet to do this myself so I apologize for giving you bad advice lol. It looks like you should be able to stick a socket through the front that's big enough to cover the bearing but small enough to fit through the pulley and hammer it out. Good luck!

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk
thrisnospork is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-08-2016, 04:53 PM   #167

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by thrisnospork View Post
I've yet to do this myself so I apologize for giving you bad advice lol. It looks like you should be able to stick a socket through the front that's big enough to cover the bearing but small enough to fit through the pulley and hammer it out. Good luck!
No problem. I know we're all doing this to try to help others.

As for the socket method you suggested, if half the weight of my car resting on it didn't get it out, I don't think a hammer/socker combo would do it now matter how hard I try to hit it
 Old 08-08-2016, 05:09 PM   #168

johnnybochamp can only hope to improve
Groaned at 28 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

No problem. I know we're all doing this to try to help others.

As for the socket method you suggested, if half the weight of my car resting on it didn't get it out, I don't think a hammer/socker combo would do it now matter how hard I try to hit it
Just to clarify, you are trying to push it from the front to get it out the back side of the pulley right? Unfortunately I can't give any advice on how to take it out. I was able to push the inner race of my bearing out with my thumb, and used a dremel to cut through the outer race. I just used a screw driver and a hammer to knock it out after that.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
johnnybochamp is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-09-2016, 12:56 AM   #169

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by johnnybochamp View Post
Just to clarify, you are trying to push it from the front to get it out the back side of the pulley right? Unfortunately I can't give any advice on how to take it out. I was able to push the inner race of my bearing out with my thumb, and used a dremel to cut through the outer race. I just used a screw driver and a hammer to knock it out after that.
Yeah I would hope so, haha. I'm pushing it out towards the side with the little tabs that stick out over the bearing. Basically from the closed side of the pulley towards the open side.

In rpaniagua's photos it looks like he might have cut or ground them off, but I'm not sure. So you managed to get it out piece by piece then? I wonder if I can get the inner ring out first, perhaps I could bend the outer part to be able to remove it, and then maybe hack away at the tabs until they're all gone so I get can the new pulley back in.
 Old 08-09-2016, 01:09 AM   #170

johnnybochamp can only hope to improve
Groaned at 28 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I kissed the tabs with the dremel as well. Good luck trying to get it out. The new bearing went in nice with a couple taps around it with a hammer, and slid right onto my compressor like a glove

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
johnnybochamp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to johnnybochamp For This Useful Post:
Pyronaut (08-09-2016)
 Old 08-11-2016, 03:31 PM   #171

weberus3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

I would like to say a huge thanks to Trebor379 for starting this thread. I did my daughters AC clutch motor a few weeks ago and its so cold it makes me turn it down and we live in the Memphis area. NO FEAR of doing anything after studying and doing this myself. Shop quoted me $750.00 for the compressor I told him its not bad. I posted a few pictures along the way hope they help someone else out that might have any question. Thanks again Trebor379 for the start thread.
jmustang68 likes this.
weberus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-16-2016, 02:03 AM   #172

jmustang68 has much to be proud ofjmustang68 has much to be proud ofjmustang68 has much to be proud ofjmustang68 has much to be proud ofjmustang68 has much to be proud ofjmustang68 has much to be proud ofjmustang68 has much to be proud ofjmustang68 has much to be proud ofjmustang68 has much to be proud ofjmustang68 has much to be proud of
Groans: 2
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah I would hope so, haha. I'm pushing it out towards the side with the little tabs that stick out over the bearing. Basically from the closed side of the pulley towards the open side.

In rpaniagua's photos it looks like he might have cut or ground them off, but I'm not sure. So you managed to get it out piece by piece then? I wonder if I can get the inner ring out first, perhaps I could bend the outer part to be able to remove it, and then maybe hack away at the tabs until they're all gone so I get can the new pulley back in.
Check out this video from about the 6 min mark. It shows how to remove the bearing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7yflp1WFrU
- JBarone Short Shift Plate - Forge V2 BPV - Blue Calipers via G2
jmustang68 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmustang68 For This Useful Post:
Design (08-29-2016)
 Old 08-26-2016, 07:47 PM   #173

stewart stewart has a spectacular aura aboutstewart stewart has a spectacular aura about
Not Ranked  0 score     

I know this thread is old, but I'm doing the bearing replacement today. I've got an '07 MS3. I cannot, for the life of me, get this pulley off by hand. I saw that the OP used a gear puller, but I can't imagine it would be easy to fit one in there. Has anyone else successfully used a gear or pulley puller without removing the entire compressor?...and can you share a model number with me.

Originally Posted by Trebor379 View Post
Step 4, Now you will be able to remove the C-clip holding the pulley on, and pull the pulley off. I had to use a gear puller to pull mine off due to the fact that the bearing in the clutch pulley was so warped i couldn't pull it out by hand.
Also, just to clarify, the c-clip is the only thing holding on the pulley....right? There's plenty of play now that the c-clip is off, but it just feels like something else is blocking the removal. Maybe that's just my defunct bearing in there. Not really sure.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
stewart stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-26-2016, 09:47 PM   #174

ryguy 3 has a reputation beyond reputeryguy 3 has a reputation beyond reputeryguy 3 has a reputation beyond reputeryguy 3 has a reputation beyond reputeryguy 3 has a reputation beyond reputeryguy 3 has a reputation beyond reputeryguy 3 has a reputation beyond reputeryguy 3 has a reputation beyond reputeryguy 3 has a reputation beyond reputeryguy 3 has a reputation beyond reputeryguy 3 has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I used a puller from Oriely autoparts free rental with a deposit

ryguy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ryguy 3 For This Useful Post:
stewart stewart (08-26-2016)
 Old 09-03-2016, 04:17 AM   #175

rrussell50 is a jewel in the roughrrussell50 is a jewel in the roughrrussell50 is a jewel in the rough
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks for the thread on this, mine went from silent to screws in a can in two days. However when I opened up my hood I found this ground wire not connected at all,

Could this ground wire not being connected cause damage to the compressor or the clutch?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whatisthismazda.jpg (2.55 MB, 38 views)
rrussell50 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-02-2016, 06:22 PM   #176

acurateintegra is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hoping some had the same issue as I am. When I removed the clutch, there was one shim. After replacing the bearing and putting it back together, the clutch doesnt spin freely by hand. Did anyone else have this issue? Are more shims needed? Thanks!
ItsNox likes this.
acurateintegra is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-06-2016, 07:00 AM   #177

ItsNox is the leader of the worldItsNox is the leader of the worldItsNox is the leader of the worldItsNox is the leader of the worldItsNox is the leader of the worldItsNox is the leader of the worldItsNox is the leader of the worldItsNox is the leader of the worldItsNox is the leader of the worldItsNox is the leader of the worldItsNox is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,929 Times in 1,656 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by acurateintegra View Post
Hoping some had the same issue as I am. When I removed the clutch, there was one shim. After replacing the bearing and putting it back together, the clutch doesnt spin freely by hand. Did anyone else have this issue? Are more shims needed? Thanks!
Read back through this thread. I believe there are multiple shims needed and their spacing is crucial from what I remember.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Power & Drivetrain BNR S3v2 / AP V3 + 100% Meth / Autotechs / JBR Tru 3.5" SRI w/ 51R Battery / ETS TMIC / DO Meth D07 @ 100% / ACT6 Puck w/ Streetlight FW / 80mm CorkSport Exhaust / SLS Test Pipe / Turbosmart BPV / Techna-Fit SS CL / AP Shift Hammer / Bosch 3Bar / Grimspeed EBCS / NGK 1 Step Colder / JBR Boost Tubes / ProSport Sammich Plate / Rotella
Suspension & Mounts KWv2 Fronts & Bilstein Rears / AIDS Rear Diff Mounts / Whiteline RSB / Prothane Lowpro Bushings / Steeda Endlinks / JBR 88RMM / JBR Solid Bushings
Brakes & Wheels StopTech Slotted Rotors & Pads / Technafit SS Brake Lines / Evo X Wheels / 245/40/18 Potenza RE760s
Misc Redline & Unicorn Jizz (XTM5QS) / Sharkfin Antenna / Kuda Mount of Sweetness / Full TRS Mini-H1 Retrofit w/ Demon Eyes / TRS Xb LED Fogs / Hardwired Valentine 1 w/ Bluetooth / AuxMod w/Bluetooth

- Miltuned

On order/To be installed: E-btec Built Motor , BNR S4, CPe EWG Exhaust Mani, Precision 46mm WG, Kozmic 6th Port, CS FSB, RDMotorsportz Crash Bar, CS Injector Seals.

Georgia Motherfucking Nator
Originally Posted by Ziggylittles View Post
I hate that you can sleep on suckas and then make rape with your family sedan
ItsNox is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-07-2016, 08:41 AM   #178

meicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the world
Groans: 9
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Found the source of the funny in and out noise yesterday, sadly, it was not the 10mm bolt working loose.

happily, using the catman's search widget, quickly found the apprpriate post, and have a AC pulley bearing ordered up from Azone.

at least I proly caught this one in time to repair, without cracking the system open.

time to search for my snap ring pliers
 Old 10-07-2016, 11:05 AM   #179

meicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the world
Groans: 9
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Oh, Great,

Just read Gro Getr's How To

apparently, on the 6, Mazda put a full roll cage around the compressor......
 Old 03-08-2017, 07:31 AM   #180

wtf lol has a spectacular aura aboutwtf lol has a spectacular aura about
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Resurrect the demon

So I'm now facing this problem. For a few days, the car would make this noise, like a grinding noise but really low. My daughter described it as an "airplane noise". The smell of burnt plastic was very strong as well. Anyway I took it to the shop and the guy said it was the ac compressor clutch.

I found the assembly on Amazon for $80. Unfortunately I won't be here for a few days. My question is can I still drive with the clutch being in the state that it's in? I could turn off the ac and leave the windows down, but I just want to make sure I don't do any extra damage to where I would have to replace the whole compressor.
wtf lol is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-09-2017, 10:18 AM   #181

GroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the world
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

the longer you drive it the bigger pita it will be to get the bearing off. Freewheeling it(a/c off including no defrost) will have the best odds, but once you start getting a consistent noise you are playing with fate. Based on the noise, which is definitely a bearings are gone noise. The two things you risk are

1. welding the bearing to the shaft, which makes it infinitely more difficult to get off on a 3, and borderline impossible on the 6 without removing the whole thing from the car(which then adds $ having to have it vaced and recharged)

2. the bearing seizes/lets go and you throw the belt doing who knows what damage.

Silver 06 MS6 - DD stealth build - no show, all go....
'12 Abarth Challenge Car - very loud, very fast, very inconvenient to drive on the street...
GroceryGtr is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-03-2017, 06:39 PM   #182

naxsay is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hey Trebor, i don't know if you still get in these forums seeing that this was posted in 2013, but did this fix you did also fix the coldness of the a/c? Because that's my problem my a/c blows fine and everything, I've tried recharging it, nothing happened. So this is my last resort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
naxsay is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-04-2017, 07:26 AM   #183

GroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

nax are you saying the air blows warm? First step is verifying the compressor is engaging. easiest way to do this is to stand near the compressor and have someone in the car turn the a/c on to full. You should hear the compressor click on/activate.

If NO:
then next step is to verify you have enough pressure to activate the pressure switch. You can do this with a cheap recharge kit from the parts store, the included gauge will tell you if you have the correct pressure. If its low then as you add 134 it will eventually click on when the min pressure is obtained in the system(filled).

If Yes:
Look at the outside 3 circle plate and see if it is spinning. It should be spinning at the same speed as the pulley. If it is going slowly, not moving at all, or randomly stops and starts spinning again(glitch) then the clutch isn't fully engaging and needs to be replaced.

The coldness of the air is really a set degree value influenced by the outside air it is cooling down. The hotter it is outside the harder it is to cool the air down. The really isn't a way to make the system blow colder if it is already working properly. If you stick a thermometer in the center vents it should show around 60 degree F.

'12 Abarth Challenge Car - very loud, very fast, very inconvenient to drive on the street...
 Old 06-13-2017, 03:09 PM   #184

Not Ranked  0 score     

I put some 134 in it and it started spinning the same speed but after a while it started to glitch so I guess new compressor

Old 06-14-2017, 11:05 AM   #185

Not Ranked  0 score     

did you not even bother to read the title of this thread?

Old 06-14-2017, 03:52 PM   #186

Not Ranked  0 score     

I did and I tried the cheap way and it didn't work?

Old 06-15-2017, 06:33 AM   #187

Not Ranked  0 score     

so you replaced the clutch? in your first post it make it sound like you were debating doing it and then instead just added 134. If you replaced the clutch hopefully you paid attention to the notes about incorrect shims in the aftermarket kits. Start a new thread and people will chime in, lets not clog up the clutch specific thread with diagnosing an a/c concern. they are fairly simply systems so depending on your symptoms there are usually only a few things to check/replace.

Old 06-17-2017, 05:26 PM   #188

acurateintegra is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Mazda AC clutch repair

Hello everyone - I ended up purchasing the same shims from Mazda (B25F-61-L1Y) came with 4 shims of varying thickness. When I install one of the shims with the one previously installed, the ac clutch spins, stutters, spins, etc. With only one shim the clutch is always spinning whether or not the AC is on or off (which isn't good). Combination of other shims results in similar results (AC clutch not spinning completely. Curious if anyone can offer some knowledge. Any help is greatly appreciated!
acurateintegra is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-03-2017, 08:12 AM   #189

ericrlove88 will become famous soon enoughericrlove88 will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by acurateintegra View Post
Hello everyone - I ended up purchasing the same shims from Mazda (B25F-61-L1Y) came with 4 shims of varying thickness. When I install one of the shims with the one previously installed, the ac clutch spins, stutters, spins, etc. With only one shim the clutch is always spinning whether or not the AC is on or off (which isn't good). Combination of other shims results in similar results (AC clutch not spinning completely. Curious if anyone can offer some knowledge. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Curious if you figured this out yet? I replaced the bearing using the procedure in the op when my bearing went bad, and that worked well. But when I recharged the system (due to me pulling the wrong snap-ring out during disassembly and losing all the charge in my system...oops) my clutch was not engaging. Pulled everything back off and I had a similar looking magnet coil to some shown in the previous pictures. So I ordered this from ebay:

NEW 2007 08 Mazdaspeed 3 & 6 TURBO ONLY AC Compressor CLUTCH KIT 124MM 6 Groove | eBay

This came with everything I needed, clutch, pulley, coil, and even hardware including shims for $40.

Everything went on and fit well, but when I started the car the clutch was spinning all the time. I then loosened the retaining bolt, and I could get it to not spin if I loosened it to a point, but I'm concerned that it's too loose and will fall off. So I'm assuming my spacing with the shims is not correct.

That being said, this kit for $40 is a really good deal for anyone needing replacements.
ericrlove88 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-03-2017, 08:42 AM   #190

Not Ranked  0 score     

it ends up being trial and error on the shim spacing. You want it to just spin freely by hand. Some people are able to just reuse their originals, some have to go a tad thicker on the spacing. Each mfg will have a slight variance in their clutch friction surface material, but aftermarket will generally be the same or slightly thicker friction surface than oem. I ended up using the factory originals plus the thinnest one that came in my kit after just the originals caused constant engagement.

The Following User Says Thank You to GroceryGtr For This Useful Post:
ericrlove88 (07-03-2017)
 Old 07-03-2017, 08:44 AM   #191

ericrlove88 will become famous soon enoughericrlove88 will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by GroceryGtr View Post
it ends up being trial and error on the shim spacing. You want it to just spin freely by hand. Some people are able to just reuse their originals, some have to go a tad thicker on the spacing. Each mfg will have a slight variance in their clutch friction surface material, but aftermarket will generally be the same or slightly thicker friction surface than oem. I ended up using the factory originals plus the thinnest one that came in my kit after just the originals caused constant engagement.
Cool thanks. I'll buy the shim kit from the dealer and see what works.
 Old 11-14-2017, 10:49 PM   #192

riflex is a splendid one to beholdriflex is a splendid one to beholdriflex is a splendid one to beholdriflex is a splendid one to beholdriflex is a splendid one to beholdriflex is a splendid one to behold
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ericrlove88 View Post
Cool thanks. I'll buy the shim kit from the dealer and see what works.
@ericrlove88

did this fix your issue? i get rattling every now and then and am looking into buying the same kit you did. with shims from the dealer.
riflex is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-15-2017, 07:05 AM   #193

Not Ranked  0 score     

rattling when the comp engages is a sign they bearing/clutch is on its last leg.

Old 11-18-2017, 05:22 AM   #194

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by riflex View Post
@ericrlove88

did this fix your issue? i get rattling every now and then and am looking into buying the same kit you did. with shims from the dealer.
Yup. Worked great and was the cheapest kit I could find. I bought the shins separately and did have to use some trial and error to get it right. But now it works great. Mine started as an occasional rattle but quickly grew to something that needed fixed immediately, so jump on it quick before you can’t drive it anymore.
 Old 11-18-2017, 05:27 AM   #195

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by riflex View Post
@ericrlove88

O, and I bought this shim kit from autozone rather than the dealer. $2 vs. $20, and it worked perfect. MT0986 “ Santech A/C Comp Clutch Installation Kit“ in case the link doesn’t work.

https://m.autozone.com/cooling-heati...kit/946226_0_0

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f293/c-compressor-clutch-finally-cheap-fix-153663/
Posted By For Type Date
Design's Long Term Ownership/Build Thread - Page 8 - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 09-19-2015 06:50 PM
signs of bad ac clutch - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum This thread Pingback 09-19-2015 05:12 PM
Bearing de poulie pour la clutch de l'air climatisé - Mazda 3 Quebec This thread Refback 09-02-2015 08:59 PM
Peladero del único y verdadero Mazda Team 2015 :shocky: :SonoraDinamitaStyle: - Página 11 - VelocidadMaxima.com This thread Refback 06-19-2015 09:50 AM
08 Mazdaspeed 3 clattering noise : mazda This thread Refback 07-02-2014 08:40 PM