register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics - Have a problem with the car? CEL Code? Want to discuss other issues? Come on in!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree7Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 05-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #1

Blackrider is the leader of the worldBlackrider is the leader of the worldBlackrider is the leader of the worldBlackrider is the leader of the worldBlackrider is the leader of the worldBlackrider is the leader of the worldBlackrider is the leader of the worldBlackrider is the leader of the worldBlackrider is the leader of the worldBlackrider is the leader of the worldBlackrider is the leader of the world
Groans: 7
Groaned at 20 Times in 14 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Car idles for 25 seconds then dies.

I have a really strange issue that I'm hoping someone has had before.

Today, I cleaned my intake valves, installed a JB TIG, EGR delete and did the TB coolant bypass mod, everything went great!

The car started up right away and idled fine, its we pretty smokey from all the B12 but that's to be expected. Much to my amazement there weren't any vacuum leaks, it was holding a steady -22 inHG which is normal for my car. I let it idle for about 5 min then shut it down and cleaned up my tools. The next time I started it up I started to back out of the shop and while doing so the car died. I started it back up and it ran fine, with normal vacuum then sure as shit it died again 25 seconds later.
When it dies it doesn't sputter, its just as if I tuned the key off. I check all the electrical and vacuum connections that I touched and everything was as it should be. Next, I started it up and held it at 2,000 RPM, and once again it died and I wasn't able to save it, bliping the throttle did nothing, it just shut down very smooth like. I started it back up to see what the fuel pressure was doing, on initial start up it settles to around 425 and holds there for about 15 second, then over the next 10 seconds it starts to fall and at around 100 PSI the engine dies. Knowing this I took it for a drive down the block to see if it would meet higher pressure demands, for the first 15 seconds after start up it acts as it should and builds the desired pressure, then the pressure falls like its at idle. After it dies a turn of the key and it fires right back up, no sputtering and normal fuel pressure, just like nothing happened.

I drove the car to my shop in the morning and it was running great, I really really don't think this is an issue with the HPFP, it has to be something electrical. The problems repeats itself in the exact same way each and every time as if it was on a timer, when I say 25 seconds, I mean EVERY TIME. Its like the engine says OK we're done here, good night.

When I did my HPFP a few months ago I had a similar issue, the car refused to stay running. I had to go away for work, so I left it sitting for a week and when I came home I started it up to troubleshoot it but it ran perfectly and has been doing so ever since. The only commonality between the work done today and when I did the HPFP is I pulled the FP relay and depressurized the system. (Yes I installed the relay and even swapped it for another one)

I'm really hoping this sound familiar to some!

Edit: no code.
Tuning - Auto Tech Internals, Cobb Accessport, Grimmspeed 3 port EBCS
Suspention - Koni FSD's, RX-8 Rims, Potenza RE - 11's 235 / 40 / 18's
Drivetrain - J-Speed Shifter Plate, Sure Anchors, SU RMM
Random - Pontiac G8 Horns

2013 Ford Edge Sport AWD, the family car...

Last edited by Blackrider; 05-20-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Blackrider is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #2

Blackrider is the leader of the worldBlackrider is the leader of the worldBlackrider is the leader of the worldBlackrider is the leader of the worldBlackrider is the leader of the worldBlackrider is the leader of the worldBlackrider is the leader of the worldBlackrider is the leader of the worldBlackrider is the leader of the worldBlackrider is the leader of the worldBlackrider is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Anyone?

Old 05-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #3

bova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,490 Times in 876 Posts
Groans: 45
Groaned at 39 Times in 38 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

sounds like a vacuum leak
bova is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bova For This Useful Post:
atvfreek (05-20-2012)
 Old 05-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #4

predapio is the leader of the worldpredapio is the leader of the worldpredapio is the leader of the worldpredapio is the leader of the worldpredapio is the leader of the worldpredapio is the leader of the worldpredapio is the leader of the worldpredapio is the leader of the worldpredapio is the leader of the worldpredapio is the leader of the worldpredapio is the leader of the world
Thanked 45,197 Times in 6,409 Posts
Groans: 309
Groaned at 206 Times in 116 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

@SPEED6 KILLAH

Try PM'ing him, he's your best bet.

Dash08: I don't see the whole pedophile thing, But Predapio is a dirty old bastard. So, I wouldn't rule it out entirely.
That's also why he fits in here. We're all a bunch of filthy, perverted, arrogant, pessimistic, self-righteous assholes who find entertainment at other peoples expense.
What a lovable bunch we are!!
predapio is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by bova View Post
sounds like a vacuum leak
To me it sounds nothing like a vacuum leak.

The Following User Says Thank You to Blackrider For This Useful Post:
aviator79 (11-27-2013)
 Old 05-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #6

mrmonk7663 is the leader of the worldmrmonk7663 is the leader of the worldmrmonk7663 is the leader of the worldmrmonk7663 is the leader of the worldmrmonk7663 is the leader of the worldmrmonk7663 is the leader of the worldmrmonk7663 is the leader of the worldmrmonk7663 is the leader of the worldmrmonk7663 is the leader of the worldmrmonk7663 is the leader of the worldmrmonk7663 is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,449 Times in 1,248 Posts
Groans: 14
Groaned at 17 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Make sure the grommet on top of the intake manifold under the black box is fully seated correctly.

"There is a war going on for your mind. If you are thinking, you are winning. Resistance is victory. Defeat is impossible. Your weapons are already in hand. Reach within you and find the means by which to gain your freedom. Fight with tools. Your fate,and that of everyone you know, depends on it."

TEAM LBN BEERS -- FYCN
TEAM MUMFORD -- FYCN
mrmonk7663 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by mrmonk7663 View Post
Make sure the grommet on top of the intake manifold under the black box is fully seated correctly.
It is, made sure of it. I'm going to take a few logs and a video to show you guys exactly what I'm dealing with here.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #8

atvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the world
Thanked 23,000 Times in 6,143 Posts
Groans: 37
Groaned at 20 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

It does sound like a large leak to me as well. What are your afrs when you start the car

Freekn tappin
11.321@129.93
atvfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to atvfreek For This Useful Post:
Sid3wayS (05-20-2012)
 Old 05-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #9

Sid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the world
Thanked 11,403 Times in 3,993 Posts
Groans: 97
Groaned at 28 Times in 25 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

What do your fuel trims look like when you start the car and right as it shuts off?

Inb4disnotplugthemanifoldwithegrdelete.

Sid3wayS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sid3wayS For This Useful Post:
mrmonk7663 (05-20-2012)
 Old 05-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm going to get a video and a few logs later on.

Vacuum isn't the issue, it hold 21 - 22 inHG constantly which is 100% normal for my engine, and the engine runs smooth as can be.

The issue at this point is the drop in fuel pressure a few second after start up. It's almost like the feed pump stops supplying the CDFP with fuel. I can watch the "Actual HPFP" hold its normal idle pressure, between (420 and 431) then after a few seconds it drop into the low 400's, stays there for a few more seconds then rapidly drops, once it hits around 100 PSI the engine very calmly shut down just as if I were to turn the ignition off.

Originally Posted by Sid3wayS View Post
Inb4disnotplugthemanifoldwithegrdelete.
LOL, yeah wouldn't that be funny, but I can assure you the plug is in and sealed with a bit of thread sealant.

Sid3wayS (05-20-2012)
 Old 05-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #11

mrmonk7663 is the leader of the worldmrmonk7663 is the leader of the worldmrmonk7663 is the leader of the worldmrmonk7663 is the leader of the worldmrmonk7663 is the leader of the worldmrmonk7663 is the leader of the worldmrmonk7663 is the leader of the worldmrmonk7663 is the leader of the worldmrmonk7663 is the leader of the worldmrmonk7663 is the leader of the worldmrmonk7663 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Clogged intank filter perhaps?

"There is a war going on for your mind. If you are thinking, you are winning. Resistance is victory. Defeat is impossible. Your weapons are already in hand. Reach within you and find the means by which to gain your freedom. Fight with tools. Your fate,and that of everyone you know, depends on it."

TEAM LBN BEERS -- FYCN
TEAM MUMFORD -- FYCN
 Old 05-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #12

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok boys, here's a log of whats going on. I've also taken a video however, the internet is slow tonight so I'll post it when its done uploading.
Attached Files
File Type: csv datalog6.csv (19.9 KB, 29 views)

Old 05-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #13

Mortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,789 Times in 1,105 Posts
Groans: 39
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

subbed for interest.
TRex - "i dont care if it is a soccer mom in a mini van, if that whore launches on me im going at it like im racing a supra....just so i can bask in the sweet sweet tears of their defeat"
Mortose is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #14

Not Ranked  0 score     

Intank pump close to fully clogged, intank pump taking a shit, rail valve completely failed not letting pressure build up...guesses off the top of my head.

TEAM LBN BEERS -- FYCN
TEAM MUMFORD -- FYCN
 Old 05-20-2012, 10:57 PM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by mrmonk7663 View Post
Intank pump close to fully clogged, intank pump taking a shit, rail valve completely failed not letting pressure build up...guesses off the top of my head.
My thoughts also lie with the in tank pump, but more along the electrical side of things. I drove my car to my shop and it ran perfectly fine, the fuel pressure was on target.

Here is a list of everything I did between a running car and a broken car.

- Pulled the "circuit" relay, started the car and let it die (fuel system depressurized)
- Pulled the intake manifold.
- Completed the TB coolant bypass mod and EGR delete.
- Pulled the spark plugs and pressurized each cylinder with 30 PSI of air while cleaning the intake valves (one Cyl at a time) I also turn the engine over pneumatically so I could switch what intake valves were open.
- I then reinstalled the manifold with a JBR TIG and reassembled everything else.
- With the spark plugs still out I turned the engine over for about 5 seconds using the starter to clear the cylinders of any cleaner, carbon, or crushed walnuts that might have got in during the valve cleaning. This is the reason I depressurized the fuel system earlier in the day.
- I reinstalled the spark plugs and the "circuit" relay primed the pump, as I said in the OP the car started right up and idled great for about 5 min at which point I shut it down.

Then I cleaned up my tools, stared the car and backed it out of the bay just as I was about to start moving forward it died, I restarted it and pulled it into a parking spot and it once again died. Ever since then its been acting the same way. Cold starts it idles for a few min with normal idle fuel pressure then just like that the FP starts to dive and it a span of 10 second it dies. Warm start it idles for about 10-15 second, then the fuel pressure drops and it dies. All it takes to get the engine running again is a turn of the key.

Because the battery had to be disconnected the fuel trims were lost so they're reading 0 right now, and my MAF cal really needed some attention in the 0-5.7 range so the A/F is off but not enough to be worried about. I don't see the 2 situations be related.

Fucking video is still uploading, I guess I should have compressed it. I'll post the link below, but it won't be available for an hour or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqmto...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Blackrider; 05-20-2012 at 11:40 PM.
 Old 05-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #16

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Someone was nice enough to send me this link
Mazdaspeed 6 Keeps Dieing - Page 3
thoughts.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #17

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Buler?

Old 05-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #18

Sid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the worldSid3wayS is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Looking at the video it shuts off at itfp pressure. It's almost like your cdfp is shutting off after it begins to settle. It's a long shot but maybe when you went to depresurize the lines something in the pump gave out. I would pull the cdfp and take a look make sure it's in 1 piece still.

Edit: actualy before you do that turn the key to acc(car on engine off) and look at actual fp. It should slowly rise.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #19

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Looking at the video it shuts off at itfp pressure. It's almost like your cdfp is shutting off after it begins to settle. It's a long shot but maybe when you went to depresurize the lines something in the pump gave out. I would pull the cdfp and take a look make sure it's in 1 piece still.

Edit: actualy before you do that turn the key to acc(car on engine off) and look at actual fp. It should slowly rise.
I dunno, its kind of hard to believe its the CDFP, when its cold it runs for about 5 min and I can take it out for a drive and it hits all the pressure targets. I didn't want to push it too hard when it was cold, but it took it into boost and once again it ran perfect with bang on FP.
I'm going to test the lift pump tomorrow and see if its cutting out before it dies. That's still my number one theroy, but even if it is I have no idea why. If it is, I guess the easiest thing to do would be to build a independent circuit and run the lift pump off that. But it would really piss me off to have to do that, I really want to know what the issue is here!

Sid3wayS (05-23-2012)
 Old 05-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #20

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
I dunno, its kind of hard to believe its the CDFP, when its cold it runs for about 5 min and I can take it out for a drive and it hits all the pressure targets. I didn't want to push it too hard when it was cold, but it took it into boost and once again it ran perfect with bang on FP.
I'm going to test the lift pump tomorrow and see if its cutting out before it dies. That's still my number one theroy, but even if it is I have no idea why. If it is, I guess the easiest thing to do would be to build a independent circuit and run the lift pump off that. But it would really piss me off to have to do that, I really want to know what the issue is here!

Ohhh so everytime it's cold the car starts up fine and runs but it bogs out after it is fully warmed up. I didn't understand it that way. Well damn that's a whole nother thing then.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #21

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ohhh so everytime it's cold the car starts up fine and runs but it bogs out after it is fully warmed up. I didn't understand it that way. Well damn that's a whole nother thing then.
Yeah, the video was warm starts. Even in the 20 or 25 seconds its running during a warm startup it drives fine until the pressure starts to fall.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #22

Not Ranked  0 score     

Well I would still try the fp test I explained earlier could be your rail or relief valve. Unless you constantly pump shyt gas i haz a hard time believing the itfp is FUBAR or clogged. And even if it was it wouldn't just cause issues when warmed up. I may be mistaken but that pump has a continuous pressure and what is constantly changing is the cdfp and everything after it.

Blackrider (05-23-2012)
 Old 05-23-2012, 10:21 PM   #23

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well I would still try the fp test I explained earlier could be your rail or relief valve. Unless you constantly pump shyt gas i haz a hard time believing the itfp is FUBAR or clogged. And even if it was it wouldn't just cause issues when warmed up. I may be mistaken but that pump has a continuous pressure and what is constantly changing is the cdfp and everything after it.
Mechanically speaking I don't think anything is wrong with the ITFP I'm thinking more electrical. Ill definitely try your test and see what goes on. Ill report back in tomorrow night after I've had a chance to work on it and study some wiring diagrams.

Sid3wayS (05-23-2012)
 Old 05-24-2012, 11:45 PM   #24

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Alright, good news! I found the reason why I've been having this problem.

MazdaSpeed 3 in tank fuel pump issue - YouTube

@ovillems3 @Sid3wayS

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Blackrider For This Useful Post:
08cosmic3 (01-07-2014), brandonnicholson (06-16-2014), Brennan (05-25-2012), fooqr (05-25-2012), Jackis (06-26-2012), jack_hammer (05-25-2012), mrmonk7663 (05-25-2012), ovillems3 (05-25-2012), Sid3wayS (05-25-2012), sidekick (06-17-2014)
 Old 05-25-2012, 01:04 AM   #25

jack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the world
Thanked 17,259 Times in 3,186 Posts
Groans: 549
Groaned at 130 Times in 85 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

damn dude, that sucks. good luck.
Blackrider (05-25-2012)
 Old 05-25-2012, 04:05 AM   #26

fooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Wow! Never heard of that. Great sleuthing, I never would have found that.

Ebay - Used MS3 fuse box - $100

08 MS3 GT (SSM). JBR WP intake, CS boost tubes, Forge v2 BPV, JBR TB/IM TIG, JBR TB coolant bypass, JBR EGR block-off, 3-bar MAP, PTP pill, bnoon bolt, SM OCC (MD kit) w/ Kat's heater, UR DP (ceramic cat), UR resonated TP/CBE, JBR SSP, SU shift bushings, JBR trilogy mounts (CRMO 88 RMM, 70 PMM/TMM), Koni yellows, JBR RSB, 2nd Fiamm, Stoptech SS lines, Hawk HPS, spin-on CX-9 oil filter, Fumoto valve, PP 5W-30, XT-M5-QS, tints, clear bra, Continental DWS, ITV22, DashHawk, AP, AT internals

There are no stupid questions, but there are stupid people and some of them ask questions.
- A. Funicello
fooqr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fooqr For This Useful Post:
Blackrider (05-25-2012)
 Old 05-25-2012, 05:30 AM   #27

Not Ranked  0 score     

Damnnnnnnnn what are the chances of that. Well atleast your half way there now. Rest is just going backwards from the relay to find the failure. Goodluck buddy.

Blackrider (05-25-2012)
 Old 05-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #28

Not Ranked  0 score     

Great job...i'm glad you found this out!!!

TEAM LBN BEERS -- FYCN
TEAM MUMFORD -- FYCN
 Old 05-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #29

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks guys! My guess is the connector was damaged when I pulled the relay before starting work last Saturday. Now I just need to haul my hung over ass out of bed tomorrow morning and put the fix on this thing!

mrmonk7663 (05-25-2012)
 Old 05-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #30

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

After looking at the wiring diagrams I determined that the bad connection could only be in one small section, unfortunately its all but impossible to get to. I would have had remove about 150 or so wires from the fuse box to get to it and not only would that take a long ass time, it might just cause more issues. So I just used a little jumper wire to feed power from the "Fuel Pump / 2 relay" to the "circuit" relay and everything is working as it should be.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas!

Sorry for the large picture!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-05-26 13.08.52.jpg (1.39 MB, 87 views)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blackrider For This Useful Post:
Brennan (05-27-2012), jack_hammer (05-27-2012), mrmonk7663 (05-26-2012), ovillems3 (05-27-2012)
 Old 05-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #31

CW42 has a brilliant futureCW42 has a brilliant futureCW42 has a brilliant futureCW42 has a brilliant futureCW42 has a brilliant futureCW42 has a brilliant futureCW42 has a brilliant futureCW42 has a brilliant futureCW42 has a brilliant futureCW42 has a brilliant futureCW42 has a brilliant future
Groaned at 13 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

My car is having a similar issue. Mazda Canada is telling me the car is unrepairable. It keeps throwing the "too rich at idle" code. On a cold engine the idle is fine but when at operating temperature when idling it's gurgly with a rough idle. Could this be my issue as well? Around 8000 dollars have been thrown at this problem so far and I'm getting frustrated since I haven't really been able to drive the car since I bought it. It hesitates from a standing start as well. Car is completely stock and every part has been repleced that has anything to do with the code for the most part.
CW42 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #32

jack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the world
Thanked 17,259 Times in 3,186 Posts
Groans: 549
Groaned at 130 Times in 85 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by CW42 View Post
My car is having a similar issue. Mazda Canada is telling me the car is unrepairable. It keeps throwing the "too rich at idle" code. On a cold engine the idle is fine but when at operating temperature when idling it's gurgly with a rough idle. Could this be my issue as well? Around 8000 dollars have been thrown at this problem so far and I'm getting frustrated since I haven't really been able to drive the car since I bought it. It hesitates from a standing start as well. Car is completely stock and every part has been repleced that has anything to do with the code for the most part.

unrepairable? that doesn't even make sense. everything is repairable, it's just a matter of "is it worth the expense?"

but if you bought it and it immediately started having the problem, does that mean you've paid $8000 out of pocket? or that's about what they've spent in labor trying to fix it?
 Old 06-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #33

CW42 has a brilliant futureCW42 has a brilliant futureCW42 has a brilliant futureCW42 has a brilliant futureCW42 has a brilliant futureCW42 has a brilliant futureCW42 has a brilliant futureCW42 has a brilliant futureCW42 has a brilliant futureCW42 has a brilliant futureCW42 has a brilliant future
Groaned at 13 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I actually spent about 2500. Luckily there is still some warranty left on certain things. I find it irritating that when they misdiagnose a problem and the repair doesn't work, you STILL have to pay for their mistake. The place I work for would be out of business if we did that to people. I think the issue may be fixed. They said that the mechanic made a mistake when repairing the car and lots of gas was mixed with the oil. I didn't notice it because the car's oil is supposed to smell like gas. The details of the whole thing seem strange but whatever they did this time seems to have given me all my power back so maybe it's finally fixed. Not sure how that could cause the cell though.
CW42 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #34

FastCash is an unknown quantity at this point
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Just set this account up today because my 2010 Speed3 is doing the same thing. It started happening June 1st. I drove it no problem that day, about 30 miles on the interstate. Then around town for the rest of the day. I was leaving dinner that night, cranked it up, it ran for a few seconds and then died. It did that a few times in the parking lot, it would run for a bit and then just switch off nice and clean. Eventually it wore the battery down so I pushed it down a hill and popped the clutch. It started up, but as soon as I tried hitting the throttle and then shifting to second, it died again. It's been at the shop for a week and a half and they don't have a clue what's wrong with it. I'm having it towed to the Mazda dealership today. Sucks.
FastCash is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #35

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by FastCash View Post
Just set this account up today because my 2010 Speed3 is doing the same thing. It started happening June 1st. I drove it no problem that day, about 30 miles on the interstate. Then around town for the rest of the day. I was leaving dinner that night, cranked it up, it ran for a few seconds and then died. It did that a few times in the parking lot, it would run for a bit and then just switch off nice and clean. Eventually it wore the battery down so I pushed it down a hill and popped the clutch. It started up, but as soon as I tried hitting the throttle and then shifting to second, it died again. It's been at the shop for a week and a half and they don't have a clue what's wrong with it. I'm having it towed to the Mazda dealership today. Sucks.
Check to make sure the "circuit" relay is getting power, if not check all the wires between the relay and the fuel pump resistor. I ended up finding a broken wire on the connector the the fuel pump resistor, now that that's fixed I don't need my jumper wire anymore.

mrmonk7663 (06-14-2012)
 Old 06-26-2012, 03:18 AM   #36

Jackis is the leader of the worldJackis is the leader of the worldJackis is the leader of the worldJackis is the leader of the worldJackis is the leader of the worldJackis is the leader of the worldJackis is the leader of the worldJackis is the leader of the worldJackis is the leader of the worldJackis is the leader of the worldJackis is the leader of the world
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Subbed!

Have similar problems, except for my car doesn't start. So far have no ability to isnpect all the wires, but this picture helped me to udnerstand the directions where to move. Looks like I have to dial left relay, the start-up one. 30V resistor looks fine.

Forged, bolted, tuned, gtx30/tial/ewg. Thanks.
Jackis is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #37

Mandinca is the leader of the worldMandinca is the leader of the worldMandinca is the leader of the worldMandinca is the leader of the worldMandinca is the leader of the worldMandinca is the leader of the worldMandinca is the leader of the worldMandinca is the leader of the worldMandinca is the leader of the worldMandinca is the leader of the worldMandinca is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

@aviator79;

Not much time to look but when I did I found this thread for MS3 in tank fuel pump. Does the MS6 have one ? I'm assuming so.
Mandinca is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mandinca For This Useful Post:
aviator79 (11-27-2013)
 Old 11-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #38

aviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,695 Times in 1,061 Posts
Groans: 67
Groaned at 17 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

well guess could pull rear seat bottom and listen for fuel pump. Im thinking it is something else as HPFP had good pressure but will look into it. But a lot of the description is very similar especially how it just shuts down as if ECU says im not happy time to turn engine off. But other things make me think it is a different issue same symptoms. We will see. I will figure it out. Go to bed.
MS6 - BNRs3 - Cobb AP - JBR Tru-3.0 - Spearco FMIC - MAC EBCS - Synapse BOV - DNP - CPE DP->MF - SU RRM - TTFMM - TT + CPE Diff Mounts - Mrlilguy HPFP - Projector HID fogs - TSX projector retrofit - LI jammers - Advan RZs w/ 245 PSSs - Koni - WL RSB
aviator79 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-06-2014, 04:24 PM   #39

Gr8Speed is the leader of the worldGr8Speed is the leader of the worldGr8Speed is the leader of the worldGr8Speed is the leader of the worldGr8Speed is the leader of the worldGr8Speed is the leader of the worldGr8Speed is the leader of the worldGr8Speed is the leader of the worldGr8Speed is the leader of the worldGr8Speed is the leader of the worldGr8Speed is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,747 Posts
Groans: 101
Groaned at 123 Times in 84 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Holy shit. So my car hasn't run for a good 3 weeks now and I think I may have this issue as well. I'll take it from the top:

Installed KMD Internals, started car up and it ran until it was warm, then died. Started it again. Ran for maybe 15-20 seconds and died again. Now that I read this, I'm starting to notice this was the pattern every time. I've tested the spill valve for operation, replaced the PRV, replaced stock internals. Still the same scenerio every time. Checked the ground on the HPFP. That is secure. I sent my pump out to KMD to get tested and they were unable to hook it up to their machine, so I'll be getting it back UPS tomorrow. Going to check this tonight. So it was just the 12V C? And you just jumped it from FP2 to FP Constant?
Gr8Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #40

Mandinca is the leader of the worldMandinca is the leader of the worldMandinca is the leader of the worldMandinca is the leader of the worldMandinca is the leader of the worldMandinca is the leader of the worldMandinca is the leader of the worldMandinca is the leader of the worldMandinca is the leader of the worldMandinca is the leader of the worldMandinca is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

My issue turned out to be the in tank fuel pump being unplugged. The connector is under the air box.
Gr8Speed (01-06-2014)

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f293/car-idles-25-seconds-then-dies-114177/
Posted By For Type Date
????????? ???????? ? ???????????? This thread Refback 08-17-2015 08:43 AM