register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics - Have a problem with the car? CEL Code? Want to discuss other issues? Come on in!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 07-28-2015, 08:21 PM   #1

ShintaroIchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Confusing electrical problem

I am having a confusing electrical problem. I have a 2008 speed3, stock, and intermittently I will be driving and my stereo will reset. If I continue to drive I will notice performance issues and dimming of lights under acceleration. But if I turn the car off and restart it the problems stop. It can happen once a day or two or three weeks between incidents. I have tested the battery and alternator and both seem fine. Any ideas?

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
ShintaroIchi is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-28-2015, 08:33 PM   #2

ejb2112 is the leader of the worldejb2112 is the leader of the worldejb2112 is the leader of the worldejb2112 is the leader of the worldejb2112 is the leader of the worldejb2112 is the leader of the worldejb2112 is the leader of the worldejb2112 is the leader of the worldejb2112 is the leader of the worldejb2112 is the leader of the worldejb2112 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I know you tested the battery, but your symptoms still seem to point to that as the problem. How old is the battery?
ejb2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-28-2015, 08:36 PM   #3

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

The battery is less than a year old.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:00 AM   #4

ejb2112 is the leader of the worldejb2112 is the leader of the worldejb2112 is the leader of the worldejb2112 is the leader of the worldejb2112 is the leader of the worldejb2112 is the leader of the worldejb2112 is the leader of the worldejb2112 is the leader of the worldejb2112 is the leader of the worldejb2112 is the leader of the worldejb2112 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well, there goes that theory. Sorry.
ejb2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-29-2015, 06:14 AM   #5

jthough1 is a splendid one to beholdjthough1 is a splendid one to beholdjthough1 is a splendid one to beholdjthough1 is a splendid one to beholdjthough1 is a splendid one to beholdjthough1 is a splendid one to beholdjthough1 is a splendid one to beholdjthough1 is a splendid one to behold
Groans: 3
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ShintaroIchi View Post
I am having a confusing electrical problem. I have a 2008 speed3, stock, and intermittently I will be driving and my stereo will reset. If I continue to drive I will notice performance issues and dimming of lights under acceleration. But if I turn the car off and restart it the problems stop. It can happen once a day or two or three weeks between incidents. I have tested the battery and alternator and both seem fine. Any ideas?
Start with pulling the stereo and check to make sure the connector isnt loose causing an inadvertent short...then maybe the dash for something similar.

These types of electrical problems are the worst to figure out
 Old 07-29-2015, 06:25 AM   #6

rigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the worldrigor is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,141 Posts
Groans: 40
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I had a issue were my car would randomly die, unplugged main computer plugged back in and worked ever since. only reason i mention it is you said you also had some performance issues .
also have that battery load tested, iv had several new battery's that were junk, not long after purchase. and make sure your connections to the battery are super clean.

then go hunting for electrical problem.
good luck..
BT T3 .5557 @25 psi 10. 6:1 peformance3 pistons, manley rods arp 625+ rod bolts, arp L19 head studs, Ap, 4'' inlet rr mani 4'' custom inlet, ,2.5'' ic piping, treadstone intercooler tr10 , turbosmart bov , tail 44mm wg, cobb electronic boost control 1 3/4 screamer p, odyssey batt, cs racepipe, custom 3'' dp 80mm cat back 80mm, egr del, vcts del, and port matched,sure tig's, running 100% meth 2000 cc, ATC 6 puck sl fw

472 hp 461tq virtual dyno and ran out of fuel!

nishan said theirs a easy 550 in the setup if i had the fuel but meh...

54,000 miles big turbo! stock block

at 104000 2 bent rods

current miles 113000 and runs perfect! no hiccups!

tuned by nishan
rigor is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-29-2015, 07:07 AM   #7

Dizzy Turbo is the leader of the worldDizzy Turbo is the leader of the worldDizzy Turbo is the leader of the worldDizzy Turbo is the leader of the worldDizzy Turbo is the leader of the worldDizzy Turbo is the leader of the worldDizzy Turbo is the leader of the worldDizzy Turbo is the leader of the worldDizzy Turbo is the leader of the worldDizzy Turbo is the leader of the worldDizzy Turbo is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,039 Times in 850 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Make sure battery cables tight and clean on both ends.
Dizzy Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-29-2015, 09:14 AM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Battery has been load tested, as has the alternator. As far as performance issues, it only occurs when I have these "glitches" which I first notice with the stereo. I know its not the stereo. The stereo turning off and on being the only issue would lead me to believe it was the stereo, but seeing how the leads to performance issues (lagging acceleration) and an obvious dimming of lights, I would think the problem elsewhere.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:35 AM   #9

DaUberSchwebel is the leader of the worldDaUberSchwebel is the leader of the worldDaUberSchwebel is the leader of the worldDaUberSchwebel is the leader of the worldDaUberSchwebel is the leader of the worldDaUberSchwebel is the leader of the worldDaUberSchwebel is the leader of the worldDaUberSchwebel is the leader of the worldDaUberSchwebel is the leader of the worldDaUberSchwebel is the leader of the worldDaUberSchwebel is the leader of the world
Groans: 28
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Possibly a bad ground or a frayed cable somewhere? I know you checked the battery, did you trace all the cables and ground connections? Is the stereo completely stock?
 Old 07-29-2015, 10:41 AM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Stereo is stock, and no I havent traced cable and ground connections. I will do that this weekend and let you guys know.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:30 AM   #11

HaXiR is a splendid one to beholdHaXiR is a splendid one to beholdHaXiR is a splendid one to beholdHaXiR is a splendid one to beholdHaXiR is a splendid one to beholdHaXiR is a splendid one to beholdHaXiR is a splendid one to beholdHaXiR is a splendid one to behold
Groans: 1
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Finding what's causing that issue will be like finding a needle in a haystack... I'd take it in somewhere. It's going to be some stupid short somewhere that you would have never thought to look.
2008 Ms3 Black Mica R.I.P. March 2008 - March 2016. MODS: HTP 3" intake, CX Racing FMIC with TR8 core, BNR S3, AP V3, Kozmic EGR delete, Matt Damond OCC, JBR short shift plate with bushings, HIDS, CP-E injector seals, TIG, 1 step colder plugs, Grimspeed EBCS, CS RMM, JBR passenger MM, motor craft tranny fluid, Autotech Internals

Current:
08.5 Ms3 cwp GT: Built block (sp63 4032 pistons, eagle h beams, CA625+ rod bolts/head studs, arp main studs, key'd crank, supertech 55lb valve springs, bsd delete, Block/pistons/rings/bearings WPC treated), HTP 4" intake, bnr S5 turbo (when it comes out), HTP hotside under route pipes, TR8 core, custom made cold pipes, ST intake mani, TIG, CP-E downpipe, CNT CBE, autotech hpfp, AP V3, grimmspeed ebcs, GA v3, TWM short shift assembly, JBR short shift plate, HFS-4 Meth kit, HTP front mount custom meth tank, damond motor mount trilogy, damond 3 port pcv plate, dual damond catch cans (one vented), step colder plugs, corksport injector seals, GFB bov, 51r battery, Bilstein B8 shocks, OZ ultralegga rims, custom oem clutch with Kevlar, Gen 2 trans.

2003 Mazdaspeed protégé (spicy orange); pope E manifold and DP, injen cai, PoS fmic kit, Twisted motion gt2871 turbo, aem fic-6.
HaXiR is offline   Reply With Quote