register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics - Have a problem with the car? CEL Code? Want to discuss other issues? Come on in!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 01-29-2015, 06:01 AM   #1

huviduc has much to be proud ofhuviduc has much to be proud ofhuviduc has much to be proud ofhuviduc has much to be proud ofhuviduc has much to be proud ofhuviduc has much to be proud ofhuviduc has much to be proud ofhuviduc has much to be proud ofhuviduc has much to be proud ofhuviduc has much to be proud of
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Engine Start and Idle issues

Hey guys, I have been a long time creeper on the site. I have been building cards for many years, I have only a few posts but please do not treat me as a noob.

Anyway, having some odd issues with my 2009 speed 3 for the last month or so. Just wanted to get some input from others who may have experienced similar issues. When starting the car, it has plenty of juice and turns over just fine, but it will either turnover for much longer than usual (10-15 seconds) then fire right up, or it will fire up right away but sort of stutters for a bit (1-5 seconds)before beginning to idle normally. Like its about to stall. Once it starts, it seems to run and idle perfectly fine. I am getting normal gas mileage, has plenty of power, runs smooth. I also have the Torque app and get virtually zero knock, AFR looks good at idle and while running, Fuel pressure looks good too.

The only other thing that I notice on occasion is if I push in the clutch and coast to a stop, idle will drop to normal range (a little below 1k) but will bounce slightly (200-300 rpm). Sounds sort of like a car with big cams. This will only happen until i coast to 0 mph and idle returns to normal.

I have a feeling it is spark/gas or a sensor is out of whack, but not sure where to look first. I thought maybe bad gas but i have filled up at several places and tried injector cleaner/gas treatment. I suspect maybe spark plugs? But have not spent the ~$50 for so to replace them yet because I am only at 50k. Only real engine mod is a COBB intake which i have had for the past 25k or so. Any thoughts?
Stock CBE without Resonators + Burnt Titanium Tip / COBB SRI /Turbosmart BPV/ JBR RMM / JBR SSP, Shifter Weight, & Shifter Bushings / Cobb STS / H&R Street Performance Coilovers / Gold 18x7.5 +48 Rays Gram Lights 57C / AEM Digital Boost Gauge / McGard Spline Drive Lugnuts/ lamin-X Yellow fog covers
huviduc is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-29-2015, 06:11 AM   #2
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,835 Times in 2,673 Posts
Groans: 1,803
Groaned at 45 Times in 26 Posts

Sounds like a vacuum leak. You should check your hose clamps on the SRI.

Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-29-2015, 06:46 AM   #3

diverdno has a brilliant futurediverdno has a brilliant futurediverdno has a brilliant futurediverdno has a brilliant futurediverdno has a brilliant futurediverdno has a brilliant futurediverdno has a brilliant futurediverdno has a brilliant futurediverdno has a brilliant futurediverdno has a brilliant futurediverdno has a brilliant future
Not Ranked  0 score     

Check to see what your vacuum is at idle. I had a very similar problem then noticed vacuum was only around 16 in hg. Should be over 20 in hg. If its low that will give you some direction on what to look for. Mine ended up being the EGR, installed an EGR delete and resolved.
diverdno is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-29-2015, 07:44 AM   #4

huviduc has much to be proud ofhuviduc has much to be proud ofhuviduc has much to be proud ofhuviduc has much to be proud ofhuviduc has much to be proud ofhuviduc has much to be proud ofhuviduc has much to be proud ofhuviduc has much to be proud ofhuviduc has much to be proud ofhuviduc has much to be proud of
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

interesting thought... now that you mention it I have seen some weird idle issues when it comes to vacuum leaks with my old car. But i just ran outside to check vacuum at idle. When i first started it up, it didnt want to start as usual, turned over for about 15 seconds. Motor was could so idle was around 1600 with a vacuum of 14-16...I let it warm up to a normal idle and i was sitting at 20 in/hg according to the boost gauge and 22 in/hg according to Torque. So does it rule out vacuum it seems?
Stock CBE without Resonators + Burnt Titanium Tip / COBB SRI /Turbosmart BPV/ JBR RMM / JBR SSP, Shifter Weight, & Shifter Bushings / Cobb STS / H&R Street Performance Coilovers / Gold 18x7.5 +48 Rays Gram Lights 57C / AEM Digital Boost Gauge / McGard Spline Drive Lugnuts/ lamin-X Yellow fog covers

Last edited by huviduc; 01-30-2015 at 04:36 AM.
huviduc is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-05-2015, 10:57 AM   #5

Nel Mazdaspeed is the leader of the worldNel Mazdaspeed is the leader of the worldNel Mazdaspeed is the leader of the worldNel Mazdaspeed is the leader of the worldNel Mazdaspeed is the leader of the worldNel Mazdaspeed is the leader of the worldNel Mazdaspeed is the leader of the worldNel Mazdaspeed is the leader of the worldNel Mazdaspeed is the leader of the worldNel Mazdaspeed is the leader of the worldNel Mazdaspeed is the leader of the world
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Check and make sure your maf is clean and your air filter as well.

Also pull your plugs and see their condition (lean/rich)

Last edited by Nel Mazdaspeed; 02-05-2015 at 10:57 AM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
Nel Mazdaspeed is offline   Reply With Quote