register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics - Have a problem with the car? CEL Code? Want to discuss other issues? Come on in!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 04-11-2019, 09:50 AM   #1

juantaquitos will become famous soon enough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default HPFP Reads "4" or "6", ITFP Functional

What's up nerds,

I've been troubleshooting for a bit with my MS3. I've had a couple batteries go bad (my yellow top won't even read as connected at the auto shop) and haven't figured out what's wrong.

It started with what FELT like fuel cut under load, (HPFP pressure would drop to 60ish) and then progressed to "fuel cut" (probably a voltage/power supply problem, but lights didn't dim.. just fuel pressure seemed affected) all the time with the car dying, then ended up with HPFP reading 4 or 6 psi. Now it will not start at all.

I got a new alternator after this situation: Battery connected to car (like normal), battery tender connected to battery. Went to start car, wouldn't start. Battery was at 5V, but tender had a green light. I figured the voltage regulator was messed up.

There is spark, and I've hardwired the in tank fuel pump to the battery to test it. It works and the line has residual pressure when I remove it from the fuel basket. HPFP pressure does not display more than 4, and car is not injecting fuel.

Got any suggestions or ideas? Here's what I have planned:
-Parasitic drain test (measuring flow from battery while car is off) and pulling fuses to isolate problem
-Test volts/ohms on spill valve
-Possibly a new ECU? Reset to stock tune?
-Install pressure gauge at ITFP
-New... HPFP rail pressure sensor?

Potentially Replacing: DW300 (back to OEM)

Last edited by juantaquitos; 04-11-2019 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Add info
juantaquitos is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-11-2019, 10:33 AM   #2

LenSpeed6 is a splendid one to beholdLenSpeed6 is a splendid one to beholdLenSpeed6 is a splendid one to beholdLenSpeed6 is a splendid one to beholdLenSpeed6 is a splendid one to beholdLenSpeed6 is a splendid one to beholdLenSpeed6 is a splendid one to beholdLenSpeed6 is a splendid one to behold
Not Ranked  0 score     

check electric fuel pump relay and pump
Sure Diff Mounts, JBR Intake, JBR I/C Hoses, Wiesco pistons .5mm over, Molnar H-Beam Rods, King bearings, New to me Cylinder Block, CS turbo, CS catted turbo back exhaust, CS HPFP, CS EBCS, CS injector seals, AP v3, FREEKTUNE, rebuilt clutch from Falcon Clutch with kevlar lining, DM PCV plate, DM stage 1 OCC, EcoBoost oil pump, vented oil cap with baffle
Soon: CS HPFP line, fix oil leak from turbo return line and some more stuff....

To think... this is suppose to be my winter car... because,

'72 AMC Javelin AMX 366 CI, 4speed 13.13 quickest 1/4 mile et so far

'12 1/2 Triumph Daytona 675R stock some how
LenSpeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-11-2019, 10:42 AM   #3

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by LenSpeed6 View Post
check electric fuel pump relay and pump

I replaced the fuel pump relay and also tried the resistor bypass to run full power to the pump constantly. Itís currently irrelevant because I hardwired the ITFP.

Can you expand on what you mean by checking? Check voltage? Which pump?

Old 04-12-2019, 05:44 AM   #4

LenSpeed6 is a splendid one to beholdLenSpeed6 is a splendid one to beholdLenSpeed6 is a splendid one to beholdLenSpeed6 is a splendid one to beholdLenSpeed6 is a splendid one to beholdLenSpeed6 is a splendid one to beholdLenSpeed6 is a splendid one to beholdLenSpeed6 is a splendid one to behold
Not Ranked  0 score     

the in tank pump if you havent already checked, re reading your post it seems like you already have.
maybe change the spill valve/pressure relief valve for hpfp with a known good one to see what happens, seems like you have that in your plans, id go with what your plan is and report back
Sure Diff Mounts, JBR Intake, JBR I/C Hoses, Wiesco pistons .5mm over, Molnar H-Beam Rods, King bearings, New to me Cylinder Block, CS turbo, CS catted turbo back exhaust, CS HPFP, CS EBCS, CS injector seals, AP v3, FREEKTUNE, rebuilt clutch from Falcon Clutch with kevlar lining, DM PCV plate, DM stage 1 OCC, EcoBoost oil pump, vented oil cap with baffle
Soon: CS HPFP line, fix oil leak from turbo return line and some more stuff....

To think... this is suppose to be my winter car... because,

'72 AMC Javelin AMX 366 CI, 4speed 13.13 quickest 1/4 mile et so far

'12 1/2 Triumph Daytona 675R stock some how
LenSpeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-12-2019, 06:52 AM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by LenSpeed6 View Post
the in tank pump if you havent already checked, re reading your post it seems like you already have.
maybe change the spill valve/pressure relief valve for hpfp with a known good one to see what happens, seems like you have that in your plans, id go with what your plan is and report back
Yeah, Iíve gotten the ITFP running and pressurized.

Do you know where Iíd get a good spill valve/relief valve/whatever, without buying a new HPFP? Iíve changed the pressure relief valve, that one that cracks open at like 1850psi.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:15 AM   #6

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 22
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

If your in tank pump is working, you shouldn't see less than 60ish psi in the rail...unless there is a relief valve that's wide open.
Versatuner, 3-bar MAP, ITV22, CP-e TMIC
CS Turbo/DP/RP/HPFP/BPV/R-DiffMount
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Rear Russian Bushings, Poly FSB Bushings
Magnaflow CBE, ACT 6-puck/Streetlite
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/OCC/PCV Plate
Other rides:
2014 F-150 XLT SuperCrew Ecoboost
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (13.467 @ 105.44)
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/redirect-to/?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fcse.google.com%2Fcse%3Fcx%3 D007197676933930921148%3Apwlh1e31oxu%23gsc.tab%3D0
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-12-2019, 02:42 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Fstrnyou View Post
If your in tank pump is working, you shouldn't see less than 60ish psi in the rail...unless there is a relief valve that's wide open.
Thatís what was confusing me. I wasnít sure if there was a block before the HPFP or if the rail sensor was bad.

A block/clog in the line makes no sense. Thereís a filter before the ITFP.

I will get the pressure right after the tank measured this weekend.. and I will pull out the relief valve to see if I can blow through it. I can prob blow 4 psi. If it is open, weíll know the problem. Itís brand new OEM and a year old though, so my suspicions lie elsewhere.