register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics - Have a problem with the car? CEL Code? Want to discuss other issues? Come on in!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By C-love

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 11-10-2019, 07:39 PM   #1

C-love will become famous soon enough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default HPRV gone bad?

Hey Everyone,

First post here, I'm glad to have this forum as it's already proven to be a very useful resource for me.

I bought my '08 speed3 somewhat hastily and naively in Phoenix a couple weeks ago (i live in Tucson). It only has 40k mi. I've had a few surprises since getting home, but currently I am dealing with what I suspect to be a bad HPRV.

I really wish I knew everything that was done to this car, but this is a list of mods I'm aware of:
-Mazdaspeed 3 CAI (I shortened it to an SRI and added the air straightener which helped get my LTFT's in check)
-Cobb TIP
-Downpipe (not sure what brand, still need to inspect this closer)
-Turbosmart dual port BPV
-Cobb lowering springs

I am unsure if this car is currently tuned, I've been reluctant to commit to an AP just yet, not sure how aggressively I want to tune this car.

Since acquiring it I have done the following:
-New NGK 6509 plugs gapped to .27 (NGK's in there were factory gapped? to .42~ish!)
-Replaced front strut hats/bearings/bumpstops
-Comp test (done cold) showed 160 - 160 - 169 - 159
-Chased down a coolant leak to my EGR housing, discovered there was no gasket in there....

Last week I noticed a massive power cut around 4500-5000 rpms under WOT. I have an OBD2 BT adapter and snagged torque which showed me that fuel pressure was dropping dramatically during these events, sometimes diving from 1650-1800psi down to 90/100 in extreme cases. I had lean at idle codes when it was running rich before I got the AS installed. I've also had a few p0300 and 304/301's.

First I suspected I probably need HPFP internals, but since then poked around a little more and did the prescribed KOEO HPRV test a few times. The first time I hadn't driven the car but let it idle until reaching operating temp. The log showed it reaching 1615psi over the course of about 9 minutes.
1615psi.png

I tested it again after driving it, unfortunately torque didn't save my log file this time but I still noticed it peaked at 1100 psi before turning around per the realtime info gauge markings. Unsatisfied with my missing log file I did the test one more time (let it idle for 5 min or so to get back to temp) and it peaked at 746psi after about 6 minutes.
746psi.png

Please let me know if there is any possibility my HPRV is not the culprit here, and/or if there are any other test you think I should perform (Inspect/clean spill valve?) before ordering an OEM HPRV. I realize I may have issues beyond this but thought it smart to get this repaired if it is definitively bad and then reevaluate.
C-love is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-11-2019, 07:55 AM   #2
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,002 Times in 2,803 Posts
Groans: 1,906
Groaned at 45 Times in 26 Posts

The "massive power cut around 4500-5000 rpms under WOT" that you've described sounds like your car is experiencing boost cut and/or load cut. If you're on the OEM tune with an aftermarket intake and downpipe, then you are definitely going to be overboosting and hitting load values that exceed the OEM tune's limits.

You cannot run the car with an aftermarket downpipe on the OEM tune safely. The OEM tune cannot account for or adjust for the increased air and exhaust flow modifications on your motor. This is very unsafe for the engine.

Additionally, you absolutely *must* have aftermarket HPFP internals installed to run an aftermarket downpipe on the MS3. You are risking your engine without them. This really is one of those non-negotiable things.

I would start with an Accessport and a proper tune before doing anything else. The HPRV might be going bad, but I'd also expect to see idle fuel pressure values that are too low if that was the case.

Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vansquish For This Useful Post:
MSMS3 (11-11-2019)
 Old 11-11-2019, 08:30 AM   #3

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,042 Posts
Groans: 154
Groaned at 47 Times in 31 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Do not run stock tune with that downpipe! You are likely spiking well over the 22.5 psi that your maf sensor can read, inducing dangerous lean out, inability of the fuel pump to meet commanded AFR, and getting cut to save your engine.

You must run an aftermarket tune compatable with that downpipe and must have upgraded (larger) hpfp internals. This is not optional. It is mandatory.

Sunlight Silver '08 MS3 GT Mods: (Sold 1/25/2019 after 10+ years of ownership)
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-11-2019, 12:27 PM   #4

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I am unsure if the car is currently tuned, as I am unsure of what my HPFP internals are currently. Hopefully the previous owner upgraded them as well. I'll probably pull them sooner than later to inspect/identify the components. I really wish I had more info from previous owner(s) regarding what was actually done to this vehicle. @Btstarcher , I noticed you're in AR and this vehicle was there previously. Does my mod list (in the OP) ring a bell for you in regards to a Jet mica black 08 speed3?

I am fairly certain that I am not overboosting. Prior to this issue I seemed to be limited to spring pressure as I couldn't exceed 10-12 psi. The car drove great before the current problem. Maybe some ECBS issue, or possibly the HPFP internals although I didn't observe and FP dips at the time. I don't think I even hit 10psi of boost doing these latest diagnostic runs to gather more data.

I haven't bought an AP yet as I am unsure of how involved I want to get in the tuning, I may prefer to have someone else tune it for me once. Hopefully I have some resources available to me out here in the Tucson/Phoenix area.

Rest assured the symptoms are very predictable and similarly easily avoidable. I'm staying out of boost altogether until this is sorted, and only driving it when absolutely necessary. I've spent a lot of time reading all through this forum over the last couple weeks, I certainly don't want to "ZZB" and am trying to take all reasonable precautions.

I really just wanted to get confirmation on the HPRV at this point, and then planned on reevaluating. Do you think it is prudent to pull/clean the spill valve and then do the KOEO test again before ordering my HPRV? Thank you for your time, I hope I don't sound dismissive to your very sound advice.
btstarcher likes this.
 Old 11-11-2019, 12:32 PM   #5

btstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,522 Times in 1,763 Posts
Groans: 112
Groaned at 38 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by C-love View Post
I am unsure if the car is currently tuned, as I am unsure of what my HPFP internals are currently. Hopefully the previous owner upgraded them as well. I'll probably pull them sooner than later to inspect/identify the components. I really wish I had more info from previous owner(s) regarding what was actually done to this vehicle. @Btstarcher , I noticed you're in AR and this vehicle was there previously. Does my mod list (in the OP) ring a bell for you in regards to a Jet mica black 08 speed3?

I am fairly certain that I am not overboosting. Prior to this issue I seemed to be limited to spring pressure as I couldn't exceed 10-12 psi. The car drove great before the current problem. Maybe some ECBS issue, or possibly the HPFP internals although I didn't observe and FP dips at the time. I don't think I even hit 10psi of boost doing these latest diagnostic runs to gather more data.

I haven't bought an AP yet as I am unsure of how involved I want to get in the tuning, I may prefer to have someone else tune it for me once. Hopefully I have some resources available to me out here in the Tucson/Phoenix area.

Rest assured the symptoms are very predictable and similarly easily avoidable. I'm staying out of boost altogether until this is sorted, and only driving it when absolutely necessary. I've spent a lot of time reading all through this forum over the last couple weeks, I certainly don't want to "ZZB" and am trying to take all reasonable precautions.

I really just wanted to get confirmation on the HPRV at this point, and then planned on reevaluating. Do you think it is prudent to pull/clean the spill valve and then do the KOEO test again before ordering my HPRV? Thank you for your time, I hope I don't sound dismissive to your very sound advice.
You will probably get a better response on Facebook these days. Search for Nator Arkansas and request membership.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
JBR 3.5" whale penis intake, HTP polished battery tray, PnP stock intake manifold w/VCTS delete (by Kmac), Corksport TMIC, Forge V2 BPV, JBR TIG's, Kozmic EGR delete, Cobb AP, PTP HPFP internals, stock TBE w/gutted cats, JBR RMM, SU PMM and TMM, Koni Yellow Sport struts, Swift springs, Tri Point Engineering RSB, Whiteline Anti Lift Kit, PTP Injector Seals, GenPu transmission, Fidanza flywheel, 3 BAR MAP sensor, Posifab 10.5:1 CR 88mm sexy pistons, Molnar rods, sleeved block, PTP BSD

SnailTune in progress
btstarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btstarcher For This Useful Post:
C-love (11-11-2019)
 Old 11-12-2019, 02:38 PM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So perhaps I can word my inquiry more succinctly:

Does the spill valve or any other component play a role in the pressure building with the HPRV key on engine off test?
 Old 11-12-2019, 10:39 PM   #7

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I can tell you with 100% certainty that if you are running that intake and a 3” downpipe in stock tune, you ARE overboosting. Look at my mod list. We are not speculating on this.

And you must (not optional) have upgraded hpfp internals with that intake and downpipe or you will also run lean. The injectors will increase bandwidth (longer spray) to try to maintain safe AFR until they can’t keep up. Then you blow the engine. Only takes a deep drop in pressure for a fraction of a second to do you in.

BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
 Old 11-12-2019, 11:32 PM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Once I became more familiar with the car I started watching boost levels closely, I have yet to see over 12psi on the mechanical gauge or the OBD data in torque. TBH I'm still not even sure about the DP, I'll take a pic tmo.

I was just reviewing my last WOT logs (from Sat. after I last worked on it) to verify my AFR was rich enough when WOT. Looks good to me, getting 10.x-11 pretty close to what the ecu is commanding. Only saw anything lean when I let off the throttle entirely engine braking with neg boost pressures. Honestly I was expecting to see some lean condition from the HPFP dip, but perhaps my logging is just too slow to catch it.

Once I confirm what has been done to the exhaust and verify my HPFP was not already upgraded I'll order the FP internals if they're not already in there. I've been researching tuning options too.

On the weekend I also noticed that I seem to have a rev limiter/Launch control set to 3k rpm when the vehicle is not moving. Is this a stock function? Or does that suggest it has some tune currently installed for LC?
 Old 11-13-2019, 06:55 AM   #9

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

low rev limit isn't part of oem tune if i'm right but i never ran those car for long enough without a tune to be sure...
If you log with a wireless device, scan rate are too slow to really diagnose it. looking at afr alone isn't going to let you know for sure if hpfp is keeping up or not as the ecm will always try to keep it safe....
If pressure drop too much, it tend to flood with low afr to drop power. once it isn't that bad but over time, bad atomisation works against clean explosion creating all sort of problems from misfire to washing the cylinder lub and oil dilution to wear out your engine faster.

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...

If you check for leaks and you didn't made a test under compressor pressure, you aren't done checking for leaks....
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-14-2019, 11:56 PM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Got some goodies

So I picked up some CS internals and an AP. I guess I'll get that all installed and then reevaluate and post an update as I have had some doubts about my initial HPRV suspicions since starting this thread. Thanks for the sound advice everyone.
The Following User Says Thank You to C-love For This Useful Post:
MSMS3 (11-15-2019)
 Old 11-15-2019, 06:19 AM   #11

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

when installing the hpfp, instead of just removing the head, take all the pump out and clean it inside if you want peace of mind. (look for complete instruction, not sure if it was from cobb or maybe for the vw using the same internals but it shown how to open it in details...

Wife drive 2010 CX7

If you check for leaks and you didn't made a test under compressor pressure, you aren't done checking for leaks....
 Old 11-15-2019, 07:00 AM   #12

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by C-love View Post
So I picked up some CS internals and an AP. I guess I'll get that all installed and then reevaluate and post an update as I have had some doubts about my initial HPRV suspicions since starting this thread. Thanks for the sound advice everyone.
You will need to remove the pump and clamp it in a vise to get it apart. That big nut is torqued on very tight. The hard fuel line nut needs to be secured with a zip tie to keep it from sliding all the way down. You’ll have a difficult time retrieving it otherwise.

When you get it disassembled look carefully at the piston. If it’s the same diameter all the way it is stock. If it has a bulb on the end, larger than the shaft, it’s already been upgraded. If you haven’t opened the CS box, maybe you can return it.

There are several good how-to instructions on all of this. You need to do this in a very clean area as any dirt or contamination will undo your efforts. Use clean gasoline for flush. Clean engine oil for required lube.

Corksport’s video is pretty good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cPCttIQC4eE

Last edited by MSMS3; 11-15-2019 at 03:01 PM.
 Old 11-15-2019, 07:52 AM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hey Guys, thanks. I already pulled the pump and cleaned it all up Weds night. Unfortunately it didn't come out to gracefully as I busted the spring retainer nut on the way out. Also took me a while to figure out how those little pieces on the spill valve side go back in. All cleaned up now, inside and out. Gonna drop the CS internals in later tonight.

On a side note, my blue fuel line was missing the clip and had a zip tie in place. How safe do you think that is? I Imagine it's a PITA to find that clip.
 Old 11-16-2019, 12:29 PM   #14

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default The saga continues....

Hey Guys, I might need some help. This car is making me crazy!
I went and scooped up a new set of CS HPFP internals Thursday night, as well as an AP from. I installed the HPFP internals last night.
When I first fired it up I had torque running (still haven't installed the AP) and my idle FP was 1500-1700 so I quickly killed it after 2-3 seconds. I had cleaned the spill valve when I had it apart, so I pulled that and inspected everything, researched online to be sure I did it right. This time I didn't push the valve pieces into the top of the SV as hard, reinstalled, and fired it up. it still had High idle FP for maybe 1 second then settled down to a nice 450psi.
I let it Idle for roughly 10 min then went to take it for a quick drive. I didn't even get into boost and it just died on me leaving me in a left hand turn lane stranded w/ a p0340. I tried to start it a few times to no avail so pushed it onto the side street. Sounds like no spark, not sure about compression.
Came back with tools a little later, inspected cam sensor looked for something I might have forgot to plug in. There was some residue on the bottom of the cam sensor, looked like tiny bits of ground up metal but super fine. There also appears to be a line in the center of the cam piece/wheel it reads, and a tiny bit of that residue there.
Got a friend to help me tow it the 1/4 mi back to my place. Pulled the Valve cover, chain looks ok, but there is some monkeys shit with RTV all over the face of the VVT wheel (I'll get a pic of this today). I did find on TINY TINY fleck of metal in there a few inches to the left of the cam sensor. Rotated the engine by hand, lined up the bolt hole on the reluctor wheel? and it looked like the rear cam was lined up perfectly horizontally. By this point it was about 2am and I was exhausted so I went to bed.

I guess my plans for today include:
-Pulling the HPFP again to inspect the cam follower/piston, and probably the cam follower to verify timing?
-Testing the cam sensor however I can
-Inspecting all wiring harnesses for abrasion/shorts

I was logging, albeit with torque when she died on me (haven't installed the AP yet). Here is a link to that log:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Any and all advice/help would be GREATLY appreciated, this thing has me pulling my hair out.
Attached Images
File Type: png cam sensor.png (1.36 MB, 2 views)
File Type: png cam sensor port.png (1.50 MB, 1 views)
 Old 11-16-2019, 02:08 PM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Pics w/ valve cover off

Here's some pics with the valve cover off. Can't even really see that line I mentioned on the cam wheel the sensor reads from. I wiped off the fine residue last night when I was rotating the engine by hand.

-Do you think that residue messed up the cam pos sensor? I did try starting it after wiping off the sensor, no dice. Haven't tried since cleaning that wheel it reads.

-Do you think that RTV on the VVT is an issue?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191116_134147.jpg (536.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20191116_134153.jpg (567.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 20191116_134206.jpg (590.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20191116_134224.jpg (336.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 20191116_134241.jpg (395.0 KB, 1 views)
 Old 11-16-2019, 03:09 PM   #16

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default FML

Well, god damnit. The spring retainer was not on the HFPF piston. I spent a lot of time trying to be sure that was on right. The tapped kept sitting weird, finally got it to sit straight and whacked it on there really good with the Corksport tool.
Cam follower doesn't look good, haven't pulled it yet. Guessing she jumped time and this is gonna be a PITA to remedy.
Seems like I had the same experience a this dude:

EDIT: The cam *Lobe* looks trashed, because the follower was missing. The more you know!

P0340 Car Died while driving

Last edited by C-love; 11-16-2019 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Wrong terminology
 Old 11-16-2019, 06:19 PM   #17

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So currently it seems most probable to me I was sold the car w/o the cam follower. Attached is a pic of the stock internals, look to me like they were riding on the cam lobe. I had also noticed scratches on the cam lobe when I pulled it, but didn't know what I was looking at or I would've realized the follower was missing. Do you think it's possible I drove on it like this for 500 mi?

Looks like timing jumped 20 deg or so (i lined up the holes on the reluctor wheel). So at least new cam, timing job, possibly bent valves?
Attached Images
File Type: png stock internals.png (1.39 MB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20191116_162415.jpg (501.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 20191116_162359.jpg (351.3 KB, 1 views)
 Old 11-17-2019, 06:33 AM   #18

Not Ranked  0 score     

Holy shit! Look for the cam follower on the ground where you pulled the pump, or in the under tray, if it is still there. Sometimes it sticks to the pump as you lift it off of the head, and falls away.

You always check for it’s presence when reinstalling the pump. I think that is covered in the various installation videos, including the CS one.

But, now you have bigger problems. I hope you did not have valve/piston contact if it did jump time.

Old 11-17-2019, 11:31 AM   #19

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by MSMS3 View Post
Holy shit! Look for the cam follower on the ground where you pulled the pump, or in the under tray, if it is still there. Sometimes it sticks to the pump as you lift it off of the head, and falls away.

You always check for it’s presence when reinstalling the pump. I think that is covered in the various installation videos, including the CS one.

But, now you have bigger problems. I hope you did not have valve/piston contact if it did jump time.
That last picture is of the stock piston and spring retainer clearly have grinding marks from riding on the cam lobe. Also when I pulled the HPFP, noticed the spring retainer was missing pieces, and went back to the housing I found them sitting on the lip there. At that time I noticed some scratches on the cam lobe but didn't think anything of it as I assumed that piston head rode on the cam lobe. Timing was done just before I bought it, dude must've left it out then. I'm hoping they're willing to work with me.

I thought I might try to relieve chain tension, line up the cams, and do a leakdown test in order to try and gauge the extent of the damage.

Thinking about it more and more this kinda explains all the issues I had progressing. Initially it seemed to run really well but I couldn't exceed 10-12 lbs of boost. I'm assuming the reduced piston travel on the HPFP explains this. Then probably at the point that I noticed the WOT hesitation it probably had progressed.

I watched so many videos and viewed so many threads for HPFP installs, somehow never noticed the follower/cup mentioned if it was. Went back and checked the CS video and it is visible when reinserting the pump, but not mentioned. I've never done this sort of thing before or I would've clearly noticed it missing.

I'm guessing bare minimum I need at least a new spring retainer for the new CS internals, intake cam, washers, timing job, prob HPFP cam housing.

It died so quietly I didn't even realize it until the TSC and battery dash lights popped on. I was logging w/ torque at the time. Never even touched boost, I did see a FT bank spike to 25 right before it died.

It looks to me like it jumped 20... maybe 25 degrees based on the attached pic. Anyone know how much the timing generally needs to be off before a valve/piston collision?
Attached Images
File Type: png timing jump.png (3.72 MB, 1 views)
 Old Yesterday, 07:02 AM   #20

Not Ranked  0 score     

go read the how to VVT thread before attempting anything at your timing.
many parts cannot be re-used more than once.

new cam isn,t expensive and a used pump core may be found for cheap too.
you would need a timing tool and if it died quick, it doesn,t sound good for your valves and maybe not for the vvt pin either...

for someone with a good idea of cam rotating resistance against a valve to piston contact, i would try to remove plugs and gently turn the crank to check if some valves don,t have too much clearance. bent valves should seat lower....
The best remain to remove timing cover, remove chain, make sure VVT is ok and temporary put the old timing chain in place with the timing tool to take engine compression.
Or if you have a leak down tester, instead of re-installing the old chain, you may just remove both cams and check if valves leaks....
If you are lucky enough and all cylinders read ok, then i would do a complete timing job with all required parts including the a new chain, new bolts, new washers as explained in the how to thread.
I would also disamble the VVT to inspect the pin groove and replace it if bad.
I would also check valve to replaced cam gap, it may have shifted....

It is very likely that you find out bad compression and then, you will need to lift the head to get it rebuild and surfaced...

Dont mix the cam caps or the valves tapets on the process.

Wife drive 2010 CX7

Old Yesterday, 07:37 AM   #21

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hey Jeff,

Thanks I already read over the how to VVT a few times, and I'll sure I'll be referencing that and several other how to's when I do the timing.

It did die quick but I'm pretty sure this was the cam pos sensor which disabled spark as I clearly shifted more than 6 degrees. I'm really hoping the valves are ok...

I did check for valve/cam clearance yesterday. It seems the Max clearance I have is .008", but some were less than .005", so it seems I have too little clearance. YAY another potentially tedious job...lol.

It appears to me as though only the intake cam shifted, as the exhaust cam seems to line up with the crankshaft with the holes lined up on the reluctor wheel.

If I need to replace the intake cam friction washer anyways, is there any harm in loosening the VVT bolt to line the cams back up just for the leakdown test? It looks like I can get a wrench on there w/o removing the cover.
 Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM   #22

Not Ranked  0 score     

as long as you don't fire up the engine and torque it like it should, i don't think it will slip for a compression test but i would check if the VVT itself is ok first...I don't have any exact procedure to validate if the VVT pin is busted without opening it, but maybe rotating the crank back and forth and checking if the intake cam is following correctly in both ways??? Maybe someone else with fallen VVT experience can comment ?

Wife drive 2010 CX7

The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff23spl For This Useful Post:
C-love (Yesterday)