register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics - Have a problem with the car? CEL Code? Want to discuss other issues? Come on in!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BR1JZL

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 08-20-2019, 01:34 AM   #1

BR1JZL is a splendid one to beholdBR1JZL is a splendid one to beholdBR1JZL is a splendid one to beholdBR1JZL is a splendid one to beholdBR1JZL is a splendid one to beholdBR1JZL is a splendid one to beholdBR1JZL is a splendid one to behold
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Incorrect Timing?

Hi all,

So I have been chasing problems with the lack of power in the car and it led me to verify the timing.

As a background, I bought the car with the timing chain and VVT actuator changed.

Anyways without going into everything, I have bought a timing tool kit (https://www.endeavourtools.com.au/mazda-timing-kit) and followed this method for verifying the timing:

http://foxed.ca/rx7manual/manuals/NC...0Procedure.pdf

So when I put in the TDC pin, the plate and M6 bolt did not line up. Also the Crank Position Sensor seems to be off (pictures are in the TDC Zip file)

So to verify the TDC pin, I took it out and lined up the crank to have M6 Bolt go in. Whilst one cam lined up with the Cam plate, the other is off. Also the Crank Position Sensor seems to be off (pictures are in M6 Zip File)

Also the car seems to be running rich, the picture of the spark plugs are after a few seconds at idle (LTFT confirms this, but can also be my tune).

The car hasn't thrown any codes (neither P0012 or P0014), but car is so slow. The timing chain is also tight, so super confused. I know if the timing is off, either I should have a piston lying on the floor by now, or the guy would have thrown a code, so very confused by this.

Any thoughts on this, or if the testing method is correct etc?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spark Plugs.JPG (2.72 MB, 7 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip TDC Attempt.zip (10.51 MB, 1 views)
File Type: zip M6 Attempt.zip (12.85 MB, 0 views)
 Old 08-20-2019, 06:40 AM   #2

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 23
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Bottom line, it needs to be re-timed with new friction washers.

I believe it will only throw a code if the crank and intake cam are out of sync.
If you align the CKP sensor properly at the 20th tooth, does the intake cam align with the plate? If yes, it shouldn't throw a code...even though it's technically all out of whack.
Versatuner, 3-bar MAP, ITV22, CP-e TMIC
CS Turbo/DP/RP/HPFP/BPV/R-DiffMount
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Rear Russian Bushings, Poly FSB Bushings
Magnaflow CBE, ACT 6-puck/Streetlite
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/OCC/PCV Plate
Other rides:
2014 F-150 XLT SuperCrew Ecoboost
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (13.467 @ 105.44)
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-21-2019, 02:44 PM   #3

BR1JZL is a splendid one to beholdBR1JZL is a splendid one to beholdBR1JZL is a splendid one to beholdBR1JZL is a splendid one to beholdBR1JZL is a splendid one to beholdBR1JZL is a splendid one to beholdBR1JZL is a splendid one to behold
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Interesting, I'll strip it down again tonight and give it a shot.

As a side note, I have ordered parts to redo the timing, except the supplier is out of the Crank friction washers, so will be a while more for my car being off the road until they come into stock
 Old 08-22-2019, 02:09 AM   #4

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Fstrnyou View Post

I believe it will only throw a code if the crank and intake cam are out of sync.
If you align the CKP sensor properly at the 20th tooth, does the intake cam align with the plate? If yes, it shouldn't throw a code...even though it's technically all out of whack.
@Fstrnyou; So I lined the CKP to the correct tooth and the intake cam still isn't aligning with the plate. I have attached pics for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CKP Aligned.JPG (2.08 MB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg CKP Intake.JPG (1.40 MB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg CKP Exhaust.JPG (2.01 MB, 8 views)
 Old 08-22-2019, 08:06 AM   #5

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Wow, that's way off. I heard or read that the ECU trips out if the sync is off by more than 6 degrees. I'm assuming that's 6 degrees crank angle which would only be 3 degrees cam angle.

Is your VVT actuator jammed in the full advanced position?
Other rides:
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
 Old 08-22-2019, 11:57 AM   #6

mazda62006 is a name known to allmazda62006 is a name known to allmazda62006 is a name known to allmazda62006 is a name known to allmazda62006 is a name known to allmazda62006 is a name known to all
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

So if it is that far off you will need to reset the timing by aligning the crank and the cams. You will have to take the timing chain off and reset everything. that is the only way I know of doing it. Most likely best to set the timing by taking everything apart and doing it right. I think someone else has already said this.
mazda62006 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-22-2019, 12:11 PM   #7
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,967 Times in 2,773 Posts
Groans: 1,898
Groaned at 45 Times in 26 Posts

Am I missing something? Are new friction washers actually required if the problem is merely the orientation of the cams relative to one another via the chain? That is, if you release the chain tensioner and move the cams by a couple of teeth (as necessary), I don't see a need to break free any of the friction washer-held parts.

Basically, if some schmo screwed up the timing at some point in the past, but actually secured everything properly (i.e. there hasn't been any slippage), then the simplest solution is probably just to reorient everything relative to the chain.

Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vansquish For This Useful Post:
Db09ms3 (08-22-2019), MSMS3 (08-22-2019)
 Old 08-22-2019, 12:39 PM   #8

mazda62006 is a name known to allmazda62006 is a name known to allmazda62006 is a name known to allmazda62006 is a name known to allmazda62006 is a name known to allmazda62006 is a name known to all
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

good point Vansquish, I didn't think about releasing the tensioner to adjust the cams. Certainly a much easier solution. Just make sure the crank is at TDC. I have never tried to release the tensioner with the timing cover on but it is in the manual.
mazda62006 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-22-2019, 02:47 PM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Wow, that's way off. I heard or read that the ECU trips out if the sync is off by more than 6 degrees. I'm assuming that's 6 degrees crank angle which would only be 3 degrees cam angle.

Is your VVT actuator jammed in the full advanced position?

To be honest, I’m not sure if the VVT actuator is jammer in the full advanced position, how can I check? The VVT was replaced recently though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by Vansquish View Post
Am I missing something? Are new friction washers actually required if the problem is merely the orientation of the cams relative to one another via the chain? That is, if you release the chain tensioner and move the cams by a couple of teeth (as necessary), I don't see a need to break free any of the friction washer-held parts.

Basically, if some schmo screwed up the timing at some point in the past, but actually secured everything properly (i.e. there hasn't been any slippage), then the simplest solution is probably just to reorient everything relative to the chain.
Hi @Vansquish; thanks again for your input. For this, I put in a TDC pin locator and the M6 bolt on the crank didn't line up, so would I have to readjust the crank anyways?

I honestly have no idea how car has been running to date, considering none of the cams and crank line up?

Last edited by BR1JZL; 08-22-2019 at 02:47 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
BR1JZL is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-22-2019, 07:23 PM   #10

Not Ranked  0 score     

I'd prefer to hear a few success stories about reusing friction washers before suggesting it.
Other rides:
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
 Old 08-22-2019, 09:24 PM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'd prefer to hear a few success stories about reusing friction washers before suggesting it.
I think what was being said was to not loosen the crank or cams (so you aren't loosen or re-using the friction washers as such), but to loosen the chain and adjust the cams. If I have understood correctly. But since I have the crank as being not TDC as per the first post, I believe I would have to loosen the cranks friction washer, so that will have to be changed.
Vansquish (08-23-2019)
 Old 08-23-2019, 03:57 AM   #12
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,967 Times in 2,773 Posts
Groans: 1,898
Groaned at 45 Times in 26 Posts

I would never suggest that somebody reuse friction washers. Rather, I was trying to say that perhaps if all that needs to be done is to loosen the chain and rotate components relative to one another, none of the friction washers would have to be broken free. That said, I have not done this procedure, and I do not know if it's possible.

Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-23-2019, 06:51 AM   #13

shamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I would just buy the new friction washers and re-time the thing - you've done most of the work already. Spend the few dollars and ensure the job is done right. Moving the chain assumes the engine was timed correctly at some point, which I'm not convinced is true.

BTW the counting teeth on the crank pulley is the last part of the timing sequence - using it to verify timing can be misleading because of the adjustment allowed in the crank position sensor.
1- set crank with correct pin
2- set cams with plate
3- set chain tension
4- tighten friction washers
5- set crank position sensor to correct tooth
6- enjoy!
2009 MGM MS3 - / HTP 3"/ COBB AP, FMIC, RMM, & DP / AT Internals / Manley Rods & Pistons / ARP studs & bolts / Koyorad radiator / DM OCCs / ACT Clutch / Bilstein B16 / CS Camber Plates, Camber Arms, & Seals / JBR .125 RSB, BSD, 51R Battery Box & Raider's AD / StopTech Brakes
shamie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shamie For This Useful Post:
Vansquish (08-23-2019)
 Old 08-23-2019, 07:03 AM   #14

Not Ranked  0 score     

#4 should say: tighten CAM friction washers only
Other rides:
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
 Old 08-23-2019, 01:01 PM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well the parts are on order (washers, guides, bolts and tensioner), should I change the chain and VVT actuator, although they only have less than 10,000 kms on them? Also do the pumps on these things get changed when the chain is done?

Old 08-23-2019, 03:05 PM   #16

Not Ranked  0 score     

If the VVT actuator was recently replaced, then it's likely the newest revision and should be safe to use for another 90k miles or more.

To change the oil pump requires removing the pump gear...which can be somewhat of a bitch to hold the gear from turning if you don't have or can't fabricate a tool to hold it. I installed a new pump with my engine rebuild, but I wouldn't mess with it for no reason. If you insist though, save yourself some money and get the ecoboost pump.
Other rides:
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
The Following User Says Thank You to Fstrnyou For This Useful Post:
BR1JZL (08-23-2019)
 Old 08-23-2019, 03:33 PM   #17

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Is the water pump a common change item and is it hard to replace?

Old 08-23-2019, 04:13 PM   #18

Not Ranked  0 score     

Ahhh, water pump. I wouldn't mess with it. Replacement water pumps these days have a plastic impeller...or so I've heard. They aren't terrible to replace under normal circumstances.
Other rides:
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
The Following User Says Thank You to Fstrnyou For This Useful Post:
BR1JZL (08-23-2019)
 Old 08-23-2019, 10:10 PM   #19

shaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the world
Groaned at 21 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'd pull it apart and change washers etc. Who ever fucked it up so bad with the timing, maybe they did a shit job at replacing washers with engine bits not being cleaned properly etc..or they may have even reused the washers.
Gen 2 2012 - Precision 6062 Turbo - CPE Exhaust Mani - PTE 46mm EWG - 2NV Industries built Forged bottom end - PNP Head - JMF V2 Intake Mani- Custom DP UR Cat Back - HTP 4 inch intake - TR8 FMIC - Custom FREEKTUNE METH Port Injection - Cobb 3 port EBC- Autotech internals - FREEKTUNED.
shaneski is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-07-2019, 06:49 AM   #20

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hi all, so the story continues. I have just finished re-timing the engine (changed the friction washers on the cams and crank, new bolts as well) and it is all correct now. I've taken it for a test drive, and the car still feels slow on an Stage 1+ OTS map (not ideal, I know), but it literally feels like it has no boost (same as before). I have attached a datalog, if someone can help! I am at my wits end with this car!!!
Attached Files
File Type: csv Datalog 7th Sep.csv (11.5 KB, 4 views)
 Old 09-09-2019, 04:05 PM   #21

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hey all,

wanted to provide an update, I pulled off the intake to perform another boost leak test, and thought I would take a look at the EBC. All the hoses are fine, but I noticed that one of the wires had actually come apart from the connector. So after some handy dremel and crimp work, I now have power again (insert evil laugh)!!! I have ordered a MAC 3 Port EBC, which I will run in 2 port mode, until I get a tune. Thanks everyone!
Vansquish likes this.
Db09ms3 (09-09-2019), MSMS3 (09-10-2019), Vansquish (09-09-2019)
 Old 09-10-2019, 05:35 AM   #22

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,015 Posts
Groans: 146
Groaned at 47 Times in 31 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by BR1JZL View Post
Hey all,

wanted to provide an update, I pulled off the intake to perform another boost leak test, and thought I would take a look at the EBC. All the hoses are fine, but I noticed that one of the wires had actually come apart from the connector. So after some handy dremel and crimp work, I now have power again (insert evil laugh)!!! I have ordered a MAC 3 Port EBC, which I will run in 2 port mode, until I get a tune. Thanks everyone!
Glad you got the timing fixed. Your log was only showing 10-11 psi, but not suggesting a leak, so it is consistent with the EBCS basically being unplugged.

A new log will probably show 15-16 psi. With a decent tune that newly added dp should yield more like 17-18 psi if you have a decent aftermarket intake.

Sunlight Silver '08 MS3 GT Mods: (Sold 1/25/2019 after 10 years of ownership)
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-10-2019, 05:44 PM   #23

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks to everyone for your input and assistance. I can confirm I know the proud owner of a 17PSI car, haha. Just need to do a MAF cal, due to super rich conditions (-15 LTFT) but with no ATR, looks like I need to get an E-tune
MSMS3 (09-10-2019), Vansquish (09-10-2019)