register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics - Have a problem with the car? CEL Code? Want to discuss other issues? Come on in!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 10-23-2015, 06:42 AM   #1

amoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,334 Times in 586 Posts
Groans: 53
Groaned at 31 Times in 22 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Lean at Idle (no changes to the car or tune)

Strange situation... I haven't made any changes to parts or the tune recently and suddenly this morning when I pull in to work the AFR are going crazy at idle.

I started the log a little late so it didn't show it initially trying to hold 14.8.... but then it starts climbing.

I blipped the throttle and it goes rich(fine)... goes lean(because I let go of the throttle) then very slowly starts coming back down (use to be fairly instant)... then goes rich again.. then back 14.8.. then lean.

Car has never had issues holding the AFR at idle... not sure what's deal is now.

It's raining so I didn't get a great chance to look around but nothing promptly stood out as an issue under the hood.

Only mods on the car are a Cobb SRI/TIP
Attached Files
File Type: csv datalog16.csv (36.7 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by amoosenamedhank; 10-23-2015 at 07:00 AM.
amoosenamedhank is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-24-2015, 06:41 PM   #2

sheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

You should post short term fuel trim as well. Have you thrown a code yet?

Sounds like a leak. I can never remember if lean means intake leak or not, but I think so. Check your clamps and connections
amoosenamedhank (10-25-2015)
 Old 10-25-2015, 05:29 AM   #3

silvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the world
Thanked 19,667 Times in 5,045 Posts
Groans: 136
Groaned at 47 Times in 41 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I just had this issue. For me it was a loose primary O2 sensor, but any leak near the sensor could cause it.
amoosenamedhank (10-25-2015), rfinkle2 (10-25-2015)
 Old 10-25-2015, 07:24 AM   #4
jbr makes fall-a-parts.

Tokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the world
Thanked 26,388 Times in 7,871 Posts
Groans: 793
Groaned at 496 Times in 321 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Pulling in extra air through a vacuum leak will do it too.

Inb4 85% silicone core. It's better than aluminum.
What's you buddy's ex wife trap?
I <3 SP63, but that port job though... "The coolant must be evaporating." Bye Felicia
"Exclusivity" - CP-enis
Demodded.
The Seals
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tokay444 For This Useful Post:
amoosenamedhank (10-25-2015), silvapain (10-25-2015)
 Old 10-25-2015, 07:28 AM   #5

rfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the world
Thanked 33,220 Times in 10,051 Posts
Groans: 298
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I can't see the stft's, but if the above suggestions don't work out, if you are running a Cobb map, sometimes the shift control tables cause a strange idle target different from those in the fuel tables.

If you don't get it sorted tag me and I can tell you how to sort it.
rfinkle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rfinkle2 For This Useful Post:
amoosenamedhank (10-25-2015), silvapain (10-25-2015)
 Old 10-25-2015, 08:05 AM   #6

amoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the worldamoosenamedhank is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks guys... been a busy weekend with the kids and I haven't even had a chance to look at it yet.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
rfinkle2 (10-25-2015), silvapain (10-25-2015)
 Old 10-27-2015, 06:30 AM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Did a little thumbing around on Sunday and I did find one loose hose clamp on my bpv.... but it doesn't appear that is solving my issue. I reflashed the map to reset the fuel trims and things are still crazy.

My STFT are maxed and so I'm assuming that means there's definitely a leak.

My regulator on my air compressor is busted so I'll have to get a new one on there and get the ol boost leak tester out I guess.

I also finally threw a code this morning... P2187 and the mysterious U2064

Another interesting thought... I did my MAF cal a few weeks ago... and I can only assume that the bpv was leaking at that time as well.
Attached Files
File Type: csv datalog19.csv (40.2 KB, 8 views)
 Old 10-27-2015, 06:38 AM   #8

ASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,123 Times in 604 Posts
Groans: 126
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

STFT pegged in the positive trying to hold AFR, definitely seems like a vacuum leak(unmetered air getting in after MAF). If nothing is popping up on a visual put a tester on it. Also, exhaust leak near sensors is possible too. I think silva(maybe) found a leak on his M2 DP flange by reversing a shop vac and sticking it in the tailpipe.

'09 Red MS3 - AP self tuned, CS HPFP, JBR 3.5 WP, CP-e S2 RMM, M2 Catless DP, CX FMIC, CNT CBE
ASHMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ASHMS3 For This Useful Post:
amoosenamedhank (10-27-2015), silvapain (10-28-2015)
 Old 10-28-2015, 09:59 AM   #9

silvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the world
Thanked 19,667 Times in 5,045 Posts
Groans: 136
Groaned at 47 Times in 41 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ASHMS3 View Post
STFT pegged in the positive trying to hold AFR, definitely seems like a vacuum leak(unmetered air getting in after MAF). If nothing is popping up on a visual put a tester on it. Also, exhaust leak near sensors is possible too. I think silva(maybe) found a leak on his M2 DP flange by reversing a shop vac and sticking it in the tailpipe.

Yep, that was me - duct taped a vacuum to my tailpipe and listened for air hissing to find an exhaust leak. It works best if you can put the vacuum outside and close the garage door as much as possible to muffle the noise from the vacuum itself.
amoosenamedhank (10-28-2015), ASHMS3 (10-29-2015), nindoja (10-28-2015), WetzMS3 (10-28-2015)