register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics - Have a problem with the car? CEL Code? Want to discuss other issues? Come on in!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 03-28-2014, 05:34 PM   #1

SirChodesly has much to be proud ofSirChodesly has much to be proud ofSirChodesly has much to be proud ofSirChodesly has much to be proud ofSirChodesly has much to be proud ofSirChodesly has much to be proud ofSirChodesly has much to be proud ofSirChodesly has much to be proud of
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default MS6 P0302 CEL, other misfires, stuttering.

I recently bought my MS6 about a month ago. It rode fine off the lot (of course), but after a bit, it started to hesitate and stutter under partial throttle. Seemed to get a little worse over time, but couldn't confirm it. Then I heard it was a bit of a common problem, and sometimes it was just a quirk of the MS6.

I installed an SRI and a TIP, stock-sizes, replaced spark plugs for NGK Irridiums gapped at .28, and due to a spur of the moment timing, I had a test pipe put on. The test pipe seemed to calm the hesitation down and the car ran smoother. Then I got the P0302 CEL along with a P0126. Figuring the car may have herped and derped, I cleared the codes and reset the ECU to see if the codes came back. The misfire on cylinder 2 did come back. It's the only code I'm getting. However, through the Torque MID tests, it looked like cylinder 4 was getting a few misfires as well. Not many during the current drive.

I then did the spring stretch mod and it seemed to cure everything. Rode smoother and all that jazz. Buuuuut, then the code came back. I went back in and checked the coil packs, switched them around and waited. Code came back, still 0302. Only now, looking at the Torque tests, it looks like the misfires are going across all four cylinders, cylinder 2 getting the most misfires.

I've been reading up on it all day at work, and I know I should do a compression test on the cylinders, and I know there's a chance it could be the injectors or injector seals. I also read that it could possibly be the O2 sensor, but I figured that wouldn't be it since I was only getting a code for Cylinder 2. Is there a chance the second O2 sensor (or even the first, whether due to the test pipe install or as a prior failure) could have crapped out when the exhaust guy welded in the straight pipe after taking off the second cat?

I'm attaching a handful of data logs. Unfortunately, none of them have a 3rd gear WOT logged. I tried to get a 3rd gear today, but the Chodespeed kind of fell on its face when I tried. I want to say I heard some kind of noise when I went WOT, but I'm not really sure since there was construction nearby. I was too scared to try again.

These are normal driving logs, logged through Torque. I'm not sure if they're enough of a help, but I figured why the hell not? If there are any other parameters that I should be logging, please tell me. And if I manage to get flamed for whatever reason, "my bad, my blunda" in advance. I'm still learning all this gearhead stuff.
Attached Files
File Type: csv trackLog-2014-Mar-26_18-24-16.csv (229.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: csv trackLog-2014-Mar-27_18-17-51.csv (282.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: csv trackLog-2014-Mar-28_07-24-12.csv (116.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: csv trackLog-2014-Mar-28_17-22-42.csv (102.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: txt MID test report.txt (3.3 KB, 1 views)

2007 Mustang GT (Chodestang) - Traded
2008 Mazda 6i (Chodezda) - Traded

1966 Mustang Coupe (Mary) - Sunday Driver
SirChodesly is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-28-2014, 06:37 PM   #2

SirChodesly has much to be proud ofSirChodesly has much to be proud ofSirChodesly has much to be proud ofSirChodesly has much to be proud ofSirChodesly has much to be proud ofSirChodesly has much to be proud ofSirChodesly has much to be proud ofSirChodesly has much to be proud of
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

After posting, I had to go and pick up my girlfriend from work. I was watching the misfire MIDs and cylinder 4 jumped to 64 counts with cylinder 2 around 16. 1&3 had 0.
The drive up there was fine, barely any negative reaction from the car.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #3

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

If it helps any, I've noticed that the misfires happen primarily on cold-starts. Especially if I happen to rev at any point during the warm-up. Afterward, I think it still primarily does it at idle. I'm using Torque to monitor, and the MID tests take a bit to refresh and I don't get to sit at lights long enough to get an accurate read on timing.

I've got an SRI and TIP installed and the spark plugs are NGK Irridiums at stock temps.
Also, the car seems to run just fine as of late. The p0302 code has come back along with a p0300, then changed to the combo of p0302 and p0128 again.

I'll be taking some clean logs tomorrow morning on my drive to work and I'll get a 3rd gear WOT in.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:50 AM   #4

Marcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 22 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm actually going through the same damn thing. Only tripped the CEL once since I randomly scanned for DTC's on Wed. On Thursday, dealership checked the plugs and swapped coil packs 2 and 3 around (for no charge, sweet) but it came back the next day. Cleared them, then tripped the CEL.

I've reflashed to stock from the HT tune as I'm getting the AT HPFP installed tomorrow. We have similar mods and I'll let you know how it works out after. Only difference I can see in your sig is youre on the stock map.

Two questions though:

p0128 - Ever notice your temp guage is always at the same level? Like always?
Torque - what app or device is this as I'd like to see how many misfires I'm getting.

I have 0 KR going on as well.

What are the chances you use Shell gas? I made the switch recently from Chev94 to Shell91 b/c I religioulsy used Chev, had to use Shell one night due to a low tank and it was the only one around, and it seemed to quiet down my engine vibes and noise but gave slightly lesser mileage. Mayhaps I'll go back to the Chev.
2006 Moist Metallica Silver Speed6 GT #6557 @ 249,650km on the k04. OE block.clutch.trans.
Intake Valves/Fuel Injector's never serviced, new clutch needed

Corksport: IC.RMM.TIP.FSB.Tubes.Strut Tower.JBR: 70a Sides.SSP.51r SURE: Dreadnaught.Juggernaught.Anchors.FlowM6.
Hypertech.MS CAI & SRI.Turbosmart DS BOV.Cobb EBCS.AT HPFP.Deatchsworks.CPe SafeSeals.Redline Trans.Diff. Motul Brake Fluid.
H&R Coils.Moog Camber Arms.Whiteline Adj RSB.SPC Ball Joints.SU Rear Interior Brace.StopTech Perf Pads.Centric X-D Rotors.TechnaFit Braided Clutch-Brake Lines.Damond PS Cooler.Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ 235/40/18.Drag DR-38 +47. Gloss Black Blue Undercut. Pirelli Sottozero s2 240 215/45/18. MS6 OEMs.

To Install: CS Turbo/IM/DP/3.5 MAP/tubes/OCC, APv3, DM EGR, VG Antennae, SURE Full3 Aeros/Rad Hoses
To Order: Full Race Tubular Exhaust Mani/Vent plate, Stratified Tune
Thinking about: Flowmasters

Last edited by Marcus; 06-09-2014 at 04:12 AM.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-11-2014, 06:11 AM   #5

Icemn is a jewel in the roughIcemn is a jewel in the roughIcemn is a jewel in the rough
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

mine too

stutters on boost and a few misfires mostly when uphill

i'm on a std map, i think i need codd

08 MPS3 GenOne
Icemn is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-12-2014, 09:07 PM   #6

Marcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the worldMarcus is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Icemn View Post
mine too

stutters on boost and a few misfires mostly when uphill

i'm on a std map, i think i need codd
If you havent got the AT internals, you might want to start there. Seems to have fixed my issues. Had mine installed monday, threw 2 codes since but no cel in the 24 hours after the install but none since and none today on a round trip from surrey to whistler which was 320km. I also went back to chev94.

So far so good.
2006 Moist Metallica Silver Speed6 GT #6557 @ 249,650km on the k04. OE block.clutch.trans.

Corksport: IC.RMM.TIP.FSB.Tubes.Strut Tower.JBR: 70a Sides.SSP.51r SURE: Dreadnaught.Juggernaught.Anchors.FlowM6.
Hypertech.MS CAI & SRI.Turbosmart DS BOV.Cobb EBCS.AT HPFP.Deatchsworks.CPe SafeSeals.Redline Trans.Diff. Motul Brake Fluid.
H&R Coils.Moog Camber Arms.Whiteline Adj RSB.SPC Ball Joints.SU Rear Interior Brace.StopTech Perf Pads.Centric X-D Rotors.TechnaFit Braided Clutch-Brake Lines.Damond PS Cooler.Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ 235/40/18.Drag DR-38 +47. Gloss Black Blue Undercut. Pirelli Sottozero s2 240 215/45/18. MS6 OEMs.

To Install: CS Turbo/IM/DP/3.5 MAP/tubes/OCC, APv3, DM EGR, VG Antennae, SURE Full3 Aeros/Rad Hoses
 Old 06-13-2014, 02:23 AM   #7

Icemn is a jewel in the roughIcemn is a jewel in the roughIcemn is a jewel in the rough
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
If you havent got the AT internals, you might want to start there. Seems to have fixed my issues. Had mine installed monday, threw 2 codes since but no cel in the 24 hours after the install but none since and none today on a round trip from surrey to whistler which was 320km. I also went back to chev94.

So far so good.
AT internals? what are the AT internals???

08 MPS3 GenOne
 Old 06-13-2014, 03:30 AM   #8

Not Ranked  0 score     

AT internals? what are the AT internals???
Autotech High Pressure Fuel Pump or simply the HPFP.

Not cheap, specially given the size, but important. In the four days I've had it in, I've wondered based on feel alone and noticing how the engine sounds, how I waited and it made this long.

Feel free to send me a pm if you want. While I havent done most of the wrenching on my car, pretty sure I can save you some steps regarding if you plan on "upgrading". You know, from one brownie to another.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:44 AM   #9

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Autotech High Pressure Fuel Pump or simply the HPFP.

Not cheap, specially given the size, but important. In the four days I've had it in, I've wondered based on feel alone and noticing how the engine sounds, how I waited and it made this long.

Feel free to send me a pm if you want. While I havent done most of the wrenching on my car, pretty sure I can save you some steps regarding if you plan on "upgrading". You know, from one brownie to another.
cool thanx

problem is we in south africa do not have half the parts and ease of access to parts... and its big bucks to import stuff...

i need to get myself a cobb and see what if any codes i get and take it from there... maybe clean my MAf sensor and clean intake valves

08 MPS3 GenOne
 Old 06-14-2014, 12:18 AM   #10

Not Ranked  0 score     

Look for an app for your phone. Cleaning those would'nt hurt. Find a way to see which TSB's (tech service bulletin) your car has had done. Those are "minor recalls" that dont get the same attention. Usually covered under a warranty of some sort that should be expired for an 06 if it applies. I only bring this up as Mazda thinks they're important so so do I.

And South Africa - welcome. If I were you, knowing what I've had to do to my car and what I've wanted to do, I'd possibly sell it if knowing that and being in SA. Not a slight on SA but just my opinion of total cost of ownership with access to the north american market. I cant imagine how much that TCO would be in SA.

Should fill out a sig with the basics of your car. Can save us a few posts and asking questions.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:11 PM   #11

pd1404 has a spectacular aura aboutpd1404 has a spectacular aura about
Not Ranked  0 score     

cool thanx

problem is we in south africa do not have half the parts and ease of access to parts... and its big bucks to import stuff...

i need to get myself a cobb and see what if any codes i get and take it from there... maybe clean my MAf sensor and clean intake valves
I cannot stress enough the important of the high pressure fuel pump internals. If you're planning on modding the car at all it's an absolute MUST HAVE
 Old 08-10-2014, 12:06 AM   #12

Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanx buddy, but i need to clean my valves and egr

08 MPS3 GenOne
 Old 08-10-2014, 09:40 PM   #13

SSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,507 Times in 1,642 Posts
Groans: 48
Groaned at 17 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

You might want to take a look at the injector seals.
Fully Built : Arias Pistons: Pauter Rods : ARP bolts: Ported Head: Cosworth BSD : Spec 3+ Clutch : Fidanza Flywheel : AWR Engine mounts 90duro : Custom TIP/Intake : Custom Blow Through 3.5" MAF : Custom FMIC : HKS SSQV VTA : Ported IM : Custom DP : Custom Exhaust : CPBoost Top Mount EM : Garrett GT3582R : PTP Turbo Blanket: Tial V44 EWG : Perrin EBCS : MrLilGuy/PTP HPFP : Ported fuel line : Ported Fuel Rail : Custom Ported Fuel Injectors : Kenny Bell Boost-a-Pump : HKS Twin Power DLI II : HKS M-Series Plugs : Cobb AP : AEM 3.5bar MAP :Koni Sport shocks : RPM Kspec Springs : TWM STS : TT Front Diff Mount : CPE Upper Diff Mount : Whiteline RSB : AWR Endlinks

Soon to be installed:
ST manifold w/ port injection : Raduim Engineering PCV Plate : Radium Engineering PCV valve : Radium Engineering Fuel filter : Aeromotive FPR : DCR VVT : TI Automotive F90000262 Fuel Pump : NX 15718 : Split Second AIC

SSinstaller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SSinstaller For This Useful Post:
Marcus (08-15-2014)
 Old 08-15-2014, 03:43 PM   #14

Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanx buddy, but i need to clean my valves and egr
Since you're way down in SA, I'd say make package purchase from somewhere:
- AT internals
- egr delete
- tb gaskets
- CPe SafeSeals
- OCC (oil catch can)

I'm somewhere in the middle of putting that together to see what fixes my p0300/p0302 as it still misfires at every start up as I warm her up nice everytime. Not sure whats worse, the fact its both random and on Cyl#2 or the random code is tripping more.

One other thing to check if there is a Mazda dealer close to you is the pcm/ecu. Small chance it could be faulty or the ecu is an older stock map or you gots shitty gas down there.

ps: hope Ebola stays the hell away from you.

Originally Posted by SSinstaller View Post
You might want to take a look at the injector seals.
Was going to order them but had to move and shit. Very soon I hope.

Last edited by Marcus; 08-15-2014 at 03:43 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 08-27-2014, 11:01 PM   #15

Sigman89 has a spectacular aura aboutSigman89 has a spectacular aura about
Not Ranked  0 score     

I was going through all this as well. Thought it was spark plugs, wasn't that. Restarted ECU, nothing there. Thought maybe mass air flow sensor. Nope. So I took my EGR completely out, the metal piping connected to engine and throttle body completely out and cleaned them with carburetor cleaner. They were ridiculously dirty and filled with black soot. Got those clean then cleaned the throttle body and that was really bad as well. It's from running real rich. It gets caked in there and clogs up everything. Once I was done put it all back together and walah, it was running like a beast. Even better then when I first bought it. (Used)
Sigman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-28-2014, 12:46 AM   #16

chris323 has a reputation beyond reputechris323 has a reputation beyond reputechris323 has a reputation beyond reputechris323 has a reputation beyond reputechris323 has a reputation beyond reputechris323 has a reputation beyond reputechris323 has a reputation beyond reputechris323 has a reputation beyond reputechris323 has a reputation beyond reputechris323 has a reputation beyond reputechris323 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Howsit guys.

Just wanted to give my input here, it is worth a check as it doesn't take long and it might be your issue.
Since I bought my MPS (I'm from South Africa) it has been mindfucking the crap out of me and the other MPS guys that were kind enough to help.
What was checked:
*MAF cleaned and swapped out with a buddy
*EGR delete done
*Checked VCTS if it might be stuck
*Tried 3 port EBCS
*Bought a COBB Accessport and found less part throttle stutter with the OTS map
*Put the car on dyno with a selftuned map and made stock power at the wheels

Then one night I opened the bonnet after doing WOT logs and found my exhaust mani was glowing red hot. This got me thinking but one of the other local guys pointed out that it sounds like retarded timing.
Researched a bit and took the plugs out two nights ago. Used a rod in Cyl 1 to find TDC and checked the timing hole on the crankshaft pulley. It is about 4-5 degrees off which means the pickup is causing retarded timing and combustion is happening in the exhaust
Getting quotes now to fix it...
Hope this info can help someone!
Ex:
Soul Red 2015 Mazda 2 Skyactiv D Hazumi Auto
Ex:
True Red 2008 Mazda 3 MPS
Mods: CPE Catted DP, Autotech HPFP internals, custom upgraded TMIC, stage 1 WMI, HTP 3.5" intake, custom tuned on COBB V3.
Ex:
2007 Ford Fiesta TDCi
1988 Mazda 323 1.3 Carbie

chris323 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chris323 For This Useful Post:
Marcus (11-14-2014)
 Old 08-28-2014, 12:28 PM   #17

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I forgot about this thread.
I ended up taking it to the dealership and getting my second injector replaced under warranty.
Turned out it was the problem.
She runs great now.

It was misfiring primarily on Cyl. 2 for me, though, with some randoms thrown in when it felt like it