register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics - Have a problem with the car? CEL Code? Want to discuss other issues? Come on in!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 07-03-2014, 04:30 PM   #1

ADHDAdditiv has much to be proud ofADHDAdditiv has much to be proud ofADHDAdditiv has much to be proud ofADHDAdditiv has much to be proud ofADHDAdditiv has much to be proud ofADHDAdditiv has much to be proud ofADHDAdditiv has much to be proud ofADHDAdditiv has much to be proud ofADHDAdditiv has much to be proud of
Groans: 0
Groaned at 13 Times in 8 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Not hitting boost targets, not boost leak

Ok so, I do have another thread up, but its pretty dead. So a while ago I started having this problem where i couldnt hit the stage 1+ boost targets (Cobb accessport). I have a ton of knock on top of this.
I've been trying quite a few things, including trying to see what WOT would do when the car is half warmed up (I know this isnt a good thing), the car has no knock at all, but still not hitting the boost targets, as soon as it gets up to temp, knock comes back.
Also a few days ago, the car decided to work flawlessly for 2 full days. No knock, 15.5psi, spooling fast, absolutely perfect. I filled it up with gas, runs like shit again. A long while back, I accidentally filled up at a station who had some bad gas. I ran around with it, didnt boost a whole lot while i had the shit gas, then filled up at a station I knew was good. I dont remember if the problem started then, but I have a feeling it might have.

I have already checked for boost leaks, doesnt have any.

So basically, car ran like shit, worked flawlessly for a couple days, filled with gas, runs like shit again.

Here are some datalogs to look at, taken about a week apart, weather was about the same. One is while it was running like shit the other is when its running perfectly. I'm totally stumped as to what this problem could be, really need help.
Attached Files
File Type: csv Next to no knock.csv (12.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: csv tonsOknock.csv (20.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: csv littleAfterNoKnock.csv (22.9 KB, 3 views)

117,000 KM/72700 miles

Mods: Corksport Short Ram intake, HPFP Internals, Cobb V3 with Purple Drank tune pushing 19ish PSI, HKS SSQV1 BOV, J2 Downpipe, Custom stereo using 700rms total with double din nav deck, JBR SSP & weight

Still cant beat a lightly tuned, stock SRT-4
ADHDAdditiv is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-03-2014, 04:39 PM   #2

[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,247 Times in 818 Posts
Groans: 78
Groaned at 14 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Mods?

Cobb AP V3JBR Tru 3" Wide PathJBR Boost Tubes & BPV HoseCobb XLE BPVCP-E TMIC ║ UR Racepipe ║ Magnaflow CBEAutoTech InternalsGrimmSpeed EBCS ║ JBR RSBSPC Camber ArmsKW V3 CoiloversJBR IM+TB TIGs & TB BypassJBR SSPE - Focus RMMStopTech Slotted Rotors and EBC Yellow Stuff PadsTechna-Fit SS Brake Lines

[R]usty is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-03-2014, 05:47 PM   #3

ADHDAdditiv has much to be proud ofADHDAdditiv has much to be proud ofADHDAdditiv has much to be proud ofADHDAdditiv has much to be proud ofADHDAdditiv has much to be proud ofADHDAdditiv has much to be proud ofADHDAdditiv has much to be proud ofADHDAdditiv has much to be proud ofADHDAdditiv has much to be proud of
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Woops, sorry.
Corksport Sri stage 1, Cobb accessport running stage 1+, drilled out second cat.

117,000 KM/72700 miles

Mods: Corksport Short Ram intake, HPFP Internals, Cobb V3 with Purple Drank tune pushing 19ish PSI, HKS SSQV1 BOV, J2 Downpipe, Custom stereo using 700rms total with double din nav deck, JBR SSP & weight

Old 07-03-2014, 07:54 PM   #4

speed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Knock sensor doesnt turn on until the coolant is up to temp, so you were getting knock. But you didnt know it
speed23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to speed23 For This Useful Post:
ADHDAdditiv (07-04-2014), chaser27 (07-08-2014)
 Old 07-03-2014, 08:04 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by speed23 View Post
Knock sensor doesnt turn on until the coolant is up to temp, so you were getting knock. But you didnt know it
Good to know, thanks! Actually rules out some of the things I thought it might be.

I just went down to the store and got some nice fuel system cleaner.

117,000 KM/72700 miles

Old 07-05-2014, 12:06 AM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok so my car decided to behave pretty much perfect (little bit of knock here and there, but I wasnt complaining). At least most of the time. here are some datalogs I took, all within 20 minutes of eachother, "Just after low boost" and "low boost" were taken literally on the same road, I did a pull, turned around and went back.

I'm not the best at reading MAPs ATM so if someone with more experience could look at these and give me their thoughts, I would greatly appreciate it.
Attached Files
File Type: csv Jul 4 2014 before low boost.csv (13.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: csv July 4 2014 after work, highway.csv (10.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: csv July 4 2014 just after low boost.csv (9.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: csv July4 2014 low boost.csv (10.2 KB, 2 views)

117,000 KM/72700 miles

Old 07-07-2014, 02:33 AM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Bumping again because there is a drag day on friday and I'd like to actually race in it.

I was driving yesterday, did a pull, and it did the most peculiar thing, which might give everyone a clue to what the problem is.

I started out with the usual problem, (4th gear pull) slow boost build (took 200rpm to get to 11psi)m then at about 4.3k rpm it seemed to jack into high gear and hit 15.5 psi (which should be the stage 1+ boost target) and had 0 knock. It felt like a random kick-in, like it just sort of started working. I continued into 5th gear (shifted at 5.3k) and after about 2-300 rpm it went back to hitting 13.5 psi and knocking again.

Im seriously stumped on what the problem is, considering how random it is. Please help!

117,000 KM/72700 miles

Old 07-07-2014, 05:30 AM   #8
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,792 Times in 2,648 Posts
Groans: 1,772
Groaned at 43 Times in 24 Posts

It looks like your car is compensating for IAT and BAT by dropping WGDC levels. If you look at the RPM ranges on the logs where you're knocking, and compare it with the same area in the logs where you're not knocking, you can see that in the non-knocking logs, you've got: more airflow (approx. 25 g/s higher @ 4K rpm); higher WGDC levels, and significantly lower IAT/BAT.

To me, that says there's a compensation table kicking in to prevent your motor from blowing. The answer, I believe, is go VIP, read the tuning materials there, and try yourself, or better still, get yourself a custom tune from one of the e-tuners on here.

Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-07-2014, 06:42 PM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Vansquish View Post
It looks like your car is compensating for IAT and BAT by dropping WGDC levels. If you look at the RPM ranges on the logs where you're knocking, and compare it with the same area in the logs where you're not knocking, you can see that in the non-knocking logs, you've got: more airflow (approx. 25 g/s higher @ 4K rpm); higher WGDC levels, and significantly lower IAT/BAT.

To me, that says there's a compensation table kicking in to prevent your motor from blowing. The answer, I believe, is go VIP, read the tuning materials there, and try yourself, or better still, get yourself a custom tune from one of the e-tuners on here.
Thanks for the reply. Makes sense why its doing causing the low boost and knock but I'm wondering why it has to do that in the first place. The Cobb tune shouldn't be that bad out of the box.
Do you thinks its all tune problems or could something with the engine be causing it?

PS any spelling or extra word is because I'm on my phone

117,000 KM/72700 miles

Old 07-07-2014, 06:46 PM   #10

btstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,515 Times in 1,758 Posts
Groans: 112
Groaned at 38 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

How many times have you filled up since putting the shitty gas in? And what do you mean by "bad gas?" Did you use 87 octane?
JBR 3.5" whale penis intake, HTP polished battery tray, PnP stock intake manifold w/VCTS delete (by Kmac), Corksport TMIC, Forge V2 BPV, JBR TIG's, Kozmic EGR delete, Cobb AP, PTP HPFP internals, stock TBE w/gutted cats, JBR RMM, SU PMM and TMM, Koni Yellow Sport struts, Swift springs, Tri Point Engineering RSB, Whiteline Anti Lift Kit, PTP Injector Seals, GenPu transmission, Fidanza flywheel, 3 BAR MAP sensor, Posifab 10.5:1 CR 88mm sexy pistons, Molnar rods, sleeved block, PTP BSD

SnailTune in progress
btstarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btstarcher For This Useful Post:
Vansquish (07-07-2014)
 Old 07-07-2014, 07:39 PM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I got the bad gas like 3 months ago so like 12+ fills. And by bad gas I mean it was after winter and I guess either some settlement or water or something got into their 94 octane tank. My dad had problems after filling there too

117,000 KM/72700 miles

The Following User Says Thank You to ADHDAdditiv For This Useful Post:
btstarcher (07-07-2014)
 Old 07-07-2014, 07:50 PM   #12

btstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

That happened to me a couple summers ago; it took a long time to get back to normal. I'm not sure why. I drive around 5k miles per month and it was better after a couple months. Then my engine blew LOL
JBR 3.5" whale penis intake, HTP polished battery tray, PnP stock intake manifold w/VCTS delete (by Kmac), Corksport TMIC, Forge V2 BPV, JBR TIG's, Kozmic EGR delete, Cobb AP, PTP HPFP internals, stock TBE w/gutted cats, JBR RMM, SU PMM and TMM, Koni Yellow Sport struts, Swift springs, Tri Point Engineering RSB, Whiteline Anti Lift Kit, PTP Injector Seals, GenPu transmission, Fidanza flywheel, 3 BAR MAP sensor, Posifab 10.5:1 CR 88mm sexy pistons, Molnar rods, sleeved block, PTP BSD

SnailTune in progress
 Old 07-07-2014, 08:03 PM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by btstarcher View Post
That happened to me a couple summers ago; it took a long time to get back to normal. I'm not sure why. I drive around 5k miles per month and it was better after a couple months. Then my engine blew LOL
O.o
Should I be worried?

117,000 KM/72700 miles

Old 07-07-2014, 08:07 PM   #14

Not Ranked  0 score     

Well it depends; I don't know if all that knock/detonation I had with the bad gas contributed to the premature failure or not. It may have weakened the rods over time.

But it was probably more to do with my dumb ass learning how to tune with e85 mixes and advancing the timing past the point of no return.

SnailTune in progress
 Old 07-07-2014, 08:51 PM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ah OK. So basically run some fuel system cleaner and wait it out?

117,000 KM/72700 miles

Old 07-07-2014, 09:03 PM   #16

Not Ranked  0 score     

No, that shit made it worse. Avoid WOT and drive to almost empty, then refill with good gas; if you have e85 maybe a gallon or 2 of that also. Just keep running good gas until it's back to normal. Might also try that Heet stuff, something that will eliminate the moisture in your tank (if there is any).

SnailTune in progress
 Old 07-07-2014, 09:08 PM   #17

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok. I've already done that, should I keep doing it til it runs good?

117,000 KM/72700 miles

Old 07-07-2014, 09:48 PM   #18

Not Ranked  0 score     

Oh, yeah.....check your plugs, mine were ruined.

SnailTune in progress
 Old 07-07-2014, 09:50 PM   #19

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Oh, yeah.....check your plugs, mine were ruined.
Will do. What about my injectors and fuel filter?

117,000 KM/72700 miles

Old 07-07-2014, 09:59 PM   #20

Not Ranked  0 score     

I didn't see that much KR in your logs. It rarely was over 1 degree.

Unless you want to pull everything off to get to your injectors and send them to get cleaned, I'd leave them alone. I've never touched the fuel filter and I'm at 235k miles.

SnailTune in progress

Last edited by btstarcher; 07-07-2014 at 09:59 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 07-07-2014, 10:06 PM   #21

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I didn't see that much KR in your logs. It rarely was over 1 degree.

Unless you want to pull everything off to get to your injectors and send them to get cleaned, I'd leave them alone. I've never touched the fuel filter and I'm at 235k miles.
You must have looked at the wrong one lol. But OK. I'll check the spark plugs tomorrow and recap if needed. Thanks for the help. If anyone thinks it could be something else let me know. I will post the results tomorrow.

117,000 KM/72700 miles

Old 07-07-2014, 11:39 PM   #22

blackmicamps6 is the leader of the worldblackmicamps6 is the leader of the worldblackmicamps6 is the leader of the worldblackmicamps6 is the leader of the worldblackmicamps6 is the leader of the worldblackmicamps6 is the leader of the worldblackmicamps6 is the leader of the worldblackmicamps6 is the leader of the worldblackmicamps6 is the leader of the worldblackmicamps6 is the leader of the worldblackmicamps6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,873 Times in 894 Posts
Groans: 127
Groaned at 24 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i had bad gas and my plugs were bad.. then i added octane booster (stupid i know now) and they were fucked. check your plugs run that bitch out till way below the E and fill up at the last second.
2007 BlackMicaMPS6| MDM RMM| Forge V2 BPV|Cobb SRI| M2 Downpipe|Denso ITV22's|Cobb AP| Cobb TiP|AutoTech Internals|CP-E TMIC| MDM SSP| SPC Ball joints |Bilstein Shocks| RPM Sport springs| XCarLink MP3 Adapter| 30% window tint| Powerslot rotors| Hawk HPS Pads| Sharkfin Antenna

FreekTuned
blackmicamps6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-08-2014, 12:10 AM   #23
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,792 Times in 2,648 Posts
Groans: 1,772
Groaned at 43 Times in 24 Posts

Originally Posted by blackmicamps6 View Post
i had bad gas and my plugs were bad.. then i added octane booster (stupid i know now) and they were fucked. check your plugs run that bitch out till way below the E and fill up at the last second.
That's not the best plan either...it's a good way to suck sedimentary crud that might not normally get sucked into the fuel filter into the fuel filter.

Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-08-2014, 12:27 AM   #24

blackmicamps6 is the leader of the worldblackmicamps6 is the leader of the worldblackmicamps6 is the leader of the worldblackmicamps6 is the leader of the worldblackmicamps6 is the leader of the worldblackmicamps6 is the leader of the worldblackmicamps6 is the leader of the worldblackmicamps6 is the leader of the worldblackmicamps6 is the leader of the worldblackmicamps6 is the leader of the worldblackmicamps6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,873 Times in 894 Posts
Groans: 127
Groaned at 24 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Vansquish View Post
That's not the best plan either...it's a good way to suck sedimentary crud that might not normally get sucked into the fuel filter into the fuel filter.
never thought about it that way, all i know is that i had to run mine down tot he way minimum to get that bp shit out of my tank and that + new plugs helped a ton
2007 BlackMicaMPS6| MDM RMM| Forge V2 BPV|Cobb SRI| M2 Downpipe|Denso ITV22's|Cobb AP| Cobb TiP|AutoTech Internals|CP-E TMIC| MDM SSP| SPC Ball joints |Bilstein Shocks| RPM Sport springs| XCarLink MP3 Adapter| 30% window tint| Powerslot rotors| Hawk HPS Pads| Sharkfin Antenna

FreekTuned
blackmicamps6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-08-2014, 02:49 AM   #25

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So if I have to get new plugs, which ones do I get. I know there is a list, and I read it (I dont totally understand it though), but for my setup which plugs should I get? I dont really plan on going much further yet due to lower finances.

117,000 KM/72700 miles

Old 07-08-2014, 07:29 AM   #26

chaser27 is the leader of the worldchaser27 is the leader of the worldchaser27 is the leader of the worldchaser27 is the leader of the worldchaser27 is the leader of the worldchaser27 is the leader of the worldchaser27 is the leader of the worldchaser27 is the leader of the worldchaser27 is the leader of the worldchaser27 is the leader of the worldchaser27 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,817 Times in 632 Posts
Groans: 42
Groaned at 16 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Check to make sure your plugs aren't fouled, covered in oil, etc. Knock can be caused by a lot of different things. And yes the Cobb OTS tune sucks that bad. It's the reason I got into tuning. If you don't feel comfortable doing that yourself, there are a few good tuners on here that can do it via email. It will make your car feel infinitely better.

POWER: HTP 3" intake, Corksport BPV, Treadstone FMIC, Cobb EBCS, Autotech HPFP, CPE full catless DP
ECU: self-tuned
HANDLING: JBR RSB (Middle Setting)
RICE: Stickers and stuff, mudflaps, floormats, Evil M, etc.
RADAR: Passport Escort 9500ci
chaser27 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-08-2014, 07:40 AM   #27

anavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,447 Times in 1,978 Posts
Groans: 63
Groaned at 43 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ADHDAdditiv View Post
So if I have to get new plugs, which ones do I get. I know there is a list, and I read it (I dont totally understand it though), but for my setup which plugs should I get? I dont really plan on going much further yet due to lower finances.
run stock heat range plugs. OEM or Denso ITV 20s or the NGK equivalent (I don't know that part number).

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
anavrinIV is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-17-2014, 01:32 PM   #28

Bratschist has much to be proud ofBratschist has much to be proud ofBratschist has much to be proud ofBratschist has much to be proud ofBratschist has much to be proud ofBratschist has much to be proud ofBratschist has much to be proud ofBratschist has much to be proud of
Groans: 1
Groaned at 13 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Here is my adventure with boost leak.

Sent from my keyboard
  3. CorkSport LED light kit
  4. TWM Performance Shifter
  5. SLS Test Pipe
  6. CorkSport FMIC and SR air intake
  7. SURE Motorsport Torq R6
  8. AccessPort Stage 2+ Map
  9. QTP Electronic Exhaust Cut-Out
  10. KMD HPFP Internals Upgrade
  11. CorkSport Downpipe
Bratschist is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #29

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Woops forgot I put this thread up lol. Other one very active.

I ended up getting 1 range colder NGK's for less money then stock ones. I chose them off the spark plug list here on the forum.

Also thanks for that latest video. I had a thought about my problem on the other thread that could be viable.
The top mount intercooler could have a crack in it that is more present during hotter conditions and at certain RPM's the intercooler itself actually rattles, causing my knock. Its a bit of a long shot, but makes a bit of sense.

BTW I ran the stratified stage 1 tune and I hit 17psi exactly like im supposed to, I actually sometimes overboost a bit to 18psi. Still getting the knock but that kind of shows the wastegate is working.

117,000 KM/72700 miles