register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics - Have a problem with the car? CEL Code? Want to discuss other issues? Come on in!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By tomazws
  • 4 Post By Vansquish
  • 1 Post By Vansquish
  • 1 Post By Vansquish

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 12-01-2015, 06:15 AM   #1

LemonWrath is a jewel in the roughLemonWrath is a jewel in the roughLemonWrath is a jewel in the rough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Now what..P2006

Ok I have been doing research on this and I replaced my actuator at least I think that's what I was suppose to replace. Well the CEL is still on so now Im at a lost, I checked hoses and what not. Am I suppose to reset the PCM or should I be replacing something else. Google isn't helping me much.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Carillo pro rods, weisco pistons, ported head, ACT hdgc6 6 puck clutch with lightweight flywheel, Gen Pu Wheeld, MS3 coilovers, eibach anti roll bar, JBR stage 2 SRI, HKS BOV recirculated, CPE FMIC, CPE full catless DP, CNT catback exhaust, CPE MM and upgraded fuel pump, AP V3 on OTS map. Coming soon ::::: BW S257, JF Performance tubular manifold, 44 MM EWG, JMF Intake Manifold ,6th port injection, corn fuel
LemonWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-20-2016, 07:18 AM   #2

drillbitmoore has a reputation beyond reputedrillbitmoore has a reputation beyond reputedrillbitmoore has a reputation beyond reputedrillbitmoore has a reputation beyond reputedrillbitmoore has a reputation beyond reputedrillbitmoore has a reputation beyond reputedrillbitmoore has a reputation beyond reputedrillbitmoore has a reputation beyond reputedrillbitmoore has a reputation beyond reputedrillbitmoore has a reputation beyond reputedrillbitmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 3
Groaned at 20 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

bump! -- did you ever get this figured out?
i'm about to replace mine (i'm up for inspection this month and i'm about to fail for CEL being on)
drillbitmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-20-2016, 07:56 AM   #3

LemonWrath is a jewel in the roughLemonWrath is a jewel in the roughLemonWrath is a jewel in the rough
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yes I believe so, that wasn't my problem, I found out that the previous own had done a VTCS delete and didn't finish up on it. Im going to just download access tune race from cobb and using the AP to block the CEL. Its not causing any running issues so I can just fix the actual problem whenever or never

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Carillo pro rods, weisco pistons, ported head, ACT hdgc6 6 puck clutch with lightweight flywheel, Gen Pu Wheeld, MS3 coilovers, eibach anti roll bar, JBR stage 2 SRI, HKS BOV recirculated, CPE FMIC, CPE full catless DP, CNT catback exhaust, CPE MM and upgraded fuel pump, AP V3 on OTS map. Coming soon ::::: BW S257, JF Performance tubular manifold, 44 MM EWG, JMF Intake Manifold ,6th port injection, corn fuel
The Following User Says Thank You to LemonWrath For This Useful Post:
drillbitmoore (01-21-2016)
 Old 01-20-2016, 12:36 PM   #4

tmaiorca is a glorious beacon of lighttmaiorca is a glorious beacon of lighttmaiorca is a glorious beacon of lighttmaiorca is a glorious beacon of lighttmaiorca is a glorious beacon of lighttmaiorca is a glorious beacon of light
Groans: 1
Not Ranked  0 score     

I literally just went through this whole mess. Ended up ordering the actuator like you did and the CEL came back. Turned out the actuator arm was broken in half. I used QBond and extended it with a piece of metal to its appropriate length. It's been holding fine for now, so I guess its jsut a matter of time. Went to go to inspection after I got it fixed, and now im throwing P2178..it never ends.

I bought my car with an AP tune on it, but don't have the AP myself. If you block that CEL with the AP, can you still go to inspection and whatnot? Just curious.
tmaiorca is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tmaiorca For This Useful Post:
drillbitmoore (01-21-2016)
 Old 01-21-2016, 01:07 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yes, some codes I believe will still throw a flag however I want to say this code will not. Had a guy told me his has been blocked for two years now so that tells me you wont get flagged for it. Dont quote me on it but thats what I know about it
 Old 01-25-2016, 04:37 PM   #6

tomazws has much to be proud oftomazws has much to be proud oftomazws has much to be proud oftomazws has much to be proud oftomazws has much to be proud oftomazws has much to be proud oftomazws has much to be proud oftomazws has much to be proud oftomazws has much to be proud oftomazws has much to be proud of
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have a P2006 too, turns out the grey plastic piece that spins the flaps is broken. So the flaps are stuck close. Gonna have try to glue it back or something. My other option is to buy a used intake manifold. Yea, nope.
MS3JCG likes this.
tomazws is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-26-2016, 06:06 AM   #7

tmaiorca is a glorious beacon of lighttmaiorca is a glorious beacon of lighttmaiorca is a glorious beacon of lighttmaiorca is a glorious beacon of lighttmaiorca is a glorious beacon of lighttmaiorca is a glorious beacon of light
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by tomazws View Post
I have a P2006 too, turns out the grey plastic piece that spins the flaps is broken. So the flaps are stuck close. Gonna have try to glue it back or something. My other option is to buy a used intake manifold. Yea, nope.
Last time I checked, there was a stock manifold on the Facebook Classifieds for Mazdaspeed for like $125 or so. Check it out if you're leaning to getting a new manifold.

I was in the same boat though. Dealer told me it would be $1500 for a new manifold just to fix P2006 because of the broken arm. Absolutely stupid for what I was able to do to fix it. In your case, would that be the physical actuator itself? I replaced that originally for like 30$ I think.
 Old 01-26-2016, 06:44 AM   #8

MazdaspeedKills is the leader of the worldMazdaspeedKills is the leader of the worldMazdaspeedKills is the leader of the worldMazdaspeedKills is the leader of the worldMazdaspeedKills is the leader of the worldMazdaspeedKills is the leader of the worldMazdaspeedKills is the leader of the worldMazdaspeedKills is the leader of the worldMazdaspeedKills is the leader of the worldMazdaspeedKills is the leader of the worldMazdaspeedKills is the leader of the world
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by LemonWrath View Post
Yes, some codes I believe will still throw a flag however I want to say this code will not. Had a guy told me his has been blocked for two years now so that tells me you wont get flagged for it. Dont quote me on it but thats what I know about it
Just a heads up: "Blocking" CELs usually results in putting the associated system in a "not ready" state when reading from a OBDII-port reader. In PA you will not pass inspection if you have more than two systems in a "not ready" state at the time of inspection. Depending on their inspection law, this may be loosened or more stringent in the state you live in.
'06 MS6: BNR S3//CP-E FMIC//Forge V3/CP-E Nano Intake//TIP//DNP Swain Tech Coated Exhaust Mani//CP-E Catted Swain Tech Coated DP//Magnaflow CBE//CP-E RMM & TT Rear Diff Mount//PnP & Coated Intake Mani// VCTS and EGR delete//GS EBCS//3 Bar MAP//RMM//SafeSeals//PT-P FP Internals//TWM Stage II STS//SSP//Saikou Michi OCC//Snow Stage 2 WMI w/ D07 nozzle//Cobb AP V3//RICH TUNE!//Stoptech Slotted Rotors and EBC RedStuff Pads//H&R springs w/spacers//Bilsteins//SPC Balljoints//AeroForce ScanGauge & WideBand//Snow Performance WMI Failsafe & Guardian Angel//Morimoto HID Projector Upgrade//Hella HID Fogs

MazdaspeedKills is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-26-2016, 09:29 AM   #9

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by MazdaspeedKills View Post
Just a heads up: "Blocking" CELs usually results in putting the associated system in a "not ready" state when reading from a OBDII-port reader. In PA you will not pass inspection if you have more than two systems in a "not ready" state at the time of inspection. Depending on their inspection law, this may be loosened or more stringent in the state you live in.
Why do I have a feeling the previous owner blocked these...drove almost 500 miles and still had no luck getting the EGR and Evap to become "ready". Its at a shop now that can do inspections, so I'll know for sure if theyre not able to get the status to be ready and link that to the blocked state. However, the P2006 still showed up when the CEL came up, so maybe it wasn't blocked?

Either way, there's no way to remove this block without flashing the ECU with the Access Port, correct?
 Old 01-26-2016, 10:01 AM   #10
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,779 Times in 2,642 Posts
Groans: 1,756
Groaned at 43 Times in 24 Posts

Originally Posted by tomazws View Post
Originally Posted by tmaiorca View Post
Last time I checked, there was a stock manifold on the Facebook Classifieds for Mazdaspeed for like $125 or so. Check it out if you're leaning to getting a new manifold.

I was in the same boat though. Dealer told me it would be $1500 for a new manifold just to fix P2006 because of the broken arm. Absolutely stupid for what I was able to do to fix it. In your case, would that be the physical actuator itself? I replaced that originally for like 30$ I think.
You guys need to do more reading.

1. The grey plastic piece on the VTCS flapper rod does NOT spin anything. It simply contacts a sensor switch. When the plastic is broken, the switch never gets pressed, and you will throw a P2006, because the car doesn't know that the rod is actually being moved by the VTCS actuator (pic in first post in this thread) like it's supposed to be.

2. You can kluge something together to extend or otherwise "repair" the grey plastic piece on the VTCS flapper rod, but there is a much, much simpler (and cheaper) way.

Here's the simplest thing you can do:

- find the VTCS position sensor switch.
- note that it is on a small mounting plate with two screws.
- with a long philips-head screwdriver, unscrew the mounting plate.
- using pliers, bend the mounting plate slightly so that the switch can be mounted by one screw, and make contact with the metal portion of the VTCS flapper rod.
- screw it back together, and clear the P2006 code.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2502.jpg (157.7 KB, 176 views)

Last edited by Vansquish; 05-24-2016 at 12:45 PM.
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vansquish For This Useful Post:
afronese1 (08-27-2016), fitnessfab (12-10-2016), robbspeed (01-26-2016)
 Old 05-02-2016, 01:12 PM   #11

jmjr will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks Vanquish for that idea about changing the mounting of the sensor switch! I changed my actuator a month or so ago and was pissed when I discovered the broken plastic arm nestled down beside the engine block. I have to get an emissions test done in a month and I never would have passed with this check engine light (I already have a blocked EGR and just barely passed last time).
jmjr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmjr For This Useful Post:
Vansquish (05-02-2016)
 Old 08-27-2016, 02:26 PM   #12

afronese1 has a brilliant futureafronese1 has a brilliant futureafronese1 has a brilliant futureafronese1 has a brilliant futureafronese1 has a brilliant futureafronese1 has a brilliant futureafronese1 has a brilliant futureafronese1 has a brilliant futureafronese1 has a brilliant futureafronese1 has a brilliant futureafronese1 has a brilliant future
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Vansquish View Post

1. The grey plastic piece on the VTCS flapper rod does NOT spin anything. It simply contacts a sensor switch. When the plastic is broken, the switch never gets pressed, and you will throw a P2006, because the car doesn't know that the rod is actually being moved by the VTCS actuator (pic in first post in this thread) like it's supposed to be.

2. You can kluge something together to extend or otherwise "repair" the grey plastic piece on the VTCS flapper rod, but there is a much, much simpler (and cheaper) way.

- using pliers, bend the mounting plate slightly so that the switch can be mounted by one screw, and make contact with the metal portion of the VTCS flapper rod.
Vanquish you are a life saver and a genius. This totally worked for me since the plastic piece broke off i have been trying to figure out the best way to go about it. This way is indeed simplest and cheapest. Thank you very much! No more P2006 and everything works perfectly fine now.
MS6/APv3/BNR s3/hpfp internals/JBR full 3" intake/ATP catted dp/Magnaflow cbe/GFB bov/Damond occ s1 v2/Damond egr delete/CPE tmic/CPE rear diff mount/CPE safe seals/CPE rmm/H&R co/18x9 conti dws 235-40/Stoptech bbk/morimoto xb led fogs/Osram Xenarc d2s 6000K bulb/osram led parking light/Led Tails/Stratified Flash Tune
afronese1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afronese1 For This Useful Post:
blackms3_71 (08-27-2016), Vansquish (08-27-2016)
 Old 08-27-2016, 03:09 PM   #13
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world

Originally Posted by afronese1 View Post
Vanquish you are a life saver and a genius. This totally worked for me since the plastic piece broke off i have been trying to figure out the best way to go about it. This way is indeed simplest and cheapest. Thank you very much! No more P2006 and everything works perfectly fine now.
I'm not as dumb as I look . . .

:-D

Glad to hear it's working out.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vansquish For This Useful Post:
afronese1 (08-27-2016)
 Old 08-27-2016, 04:06 PM   #14

GroceryGtr has a reputation beyond reputeGroceryGtr has a reputation beyond reputeGroceryGtr has a reputation beyond reputeGroceryGtr has a reputation beyond reputeGroceryGtr has a reputation beyond reputeGroceryGtr has a reputation beyond reputeGroceryGtr has a reputation beyond reputeGroceryGtr has a reputation beyond reputeGroceryGtr has a reputation beyond reputeGroceryGtr has a reputation beyond reputeGroceryGtr has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Damn where was this last month. Ended up just turning the code off with the ap, but I'll do this next time i got a free evening to tinker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Silver 06 MS6 - DD stealth build - no show, all go....
'12 Abarth Challenge Car - very loud, very fast, very inconvenient to drive on the street...
GroceryGtr is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-27-2016, 07:34 PM   #15
Tachyonic Moderator

MS3Shadow is the leader of the worldMS3Shadow is the leader of the worldMS3Shadow is the leader of the worldMS3Shadow is the leader of the worldMS3Shadow is the leader of the worldMS3Shadow is the leader of the worldMS3Shadow is the leader of the worldMS3Shadow is the leader of the worldMS3Shadow is the leader of the worldMS3Shadow is the leader of the worldMS3Shadow is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,632 Times in 1,848 Posts
Groans: 249
Groaned at 20 Times in 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GroceryGtr View Post
Damn where was this last month. Ended up just turning the code off with the ap, but I'll do this next time i got a free evening to tinker.

Technically, it been here for several months, if you searched for it.

sent from my Nexus 6P
BNR S4, XSPower v3 Exhaust Manifold w/ Tial 44mm EWG Cobb accessport V3, Dizzy Tune in progress CP-e stage2 rmm, tmic, hpfp JBR boost tubes, Tru-3.5in Intake inside a Corksport Cold Air Box, Catless Downpipe & Racepipe, bypass hose, hood scoop, BPV, hood struts, stubby antenna, Aluminum Skid Plate, EBCS, 3.5BAR MAP Sensor, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust DM Full EGR Delete, Passenger Motor Mount, Transmission Motor Mount., Coolant Bypass, VTCS Delete, NGK ILTR6A-7G ,G-LOC R6 Brake pads and Centric High Carbon brake rotors Looks: 25% tint front, 5% back, Heat-blocking front windshield film Escort Passport Max360, RGBW Halos/Demon Eyes 20'' LED Light bar

Use my Updated Custom Google Search to search this forum since the advanced search here is broken
MS3Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MS3Shadow For This Useful Post:
Vansquish (08-28-2016)
 Old 08-28-2016, 05:30 AM   #16

GroceryGtr has a reputation beyond reputeGroceryGtr has a reputation beyond reputeGroceryGtr has a reputation beyond reputeGroceryGtr has a reputation beyond reputeGroceryGtr has a reputation beyond reputeGroceryGtr has a reputation beyond reputeGroceryGtr has a reputation beyond reputeGroceryGtr has a reputation beyond reputeGroceryGtr has a reputation beyond reputeGroceryGtr has a reputation beyond reputeGroceryGtr has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

I was searching everything BUT P2006. I knew what was causing the code, I was searching for how to fix the arm, go figure. That's what I get for topic skimming.

'12 Abarth Challenge Car - very loud, very fast, very inconvenient to drive on the street...
 Old 08-28-2016, 11:21 AM   #17

afronese1 has a brilliant futureafronese1 has a brilliant futureafronese1 has a brilliant futureafronese1 has a brilliant futureafronese1 has a brilliant futureafronese1 has a brilliant futureafronese1 has a brilliant futureafronese1 has a brilliant futureafronese1 has a brilliant futureafronese1 has a brilliant futureafronese1 has a brilliant future
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by GroceryGtr View Post
I was searching everything BUT P2006. I knew what was causing the code, I was searching for how to fix the arm, go figure. That's what I get for topic skimming.

So what have you done to fix p2006 before finding this? I always google keywords: CEL code + mazdaspeed. Never fails lol Let us know if Vanquish's way works for you if you go that route.
MS6/APv3/BNR s3/hpfp internals/JBR full 3" intake/ATP catted dp/Magnaflow cbe/GFB bov/Damond occ s1 v2/Damond egr delete/CPE tmic/CPE rear diff mount/CPE safe seals/CPE rmm/H&R co/18x9 conti dws 235-40/Stoptech bbk/morimoto xb led fogs/Osram Xenarc d2s 6000K bulb/osram led parking light/Led Tails/Stratified Flash Tune
 Old 08-28-2016, 12:16 PM   #18
Police - Grammarhead

Originally Posted by afronese1 View Post
So what have you done to fix p2006 before finding this? I always google keywords: CEL code + mazdaspeed. Never fails lol Let us know if Vanquish's way works for you if you go that route.
VanSquish!

KiwiFlavor (08-29-2016)
 Old 08-28-2016, 12:24 PM   #19

Not Ranked  0 score     

VanSquish!
I fixed the typo for you lol
 Old 08-29-2016, 04:32 AM   #20

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally, I just turned the code off in ap. I had removed the rod and plates, leaving only the end with the arm to trick the system. So in my case the cel was purely cosmetic. I'll most likely go this route here in a week or so when I have some free time.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:09 AM   #21
Police - Grammarhead

You can also just zip-tie the sensor switch, but I think that'll generate a different CEL eventually, as the ECU will see no change in the VTCS position that way either.

BLURSPORTS (11-14-2016)
 Old 08-30-2016, 04:37 AM   #22

Not Ranked  0 score     

Yep it will pop a 2007 for stuck open condition, tried that lol. Your solution is the best thus far if you do. It have an ap.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:51 PM   #23

MS3JCG is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

Would this be completely different from the runner flap stuck closed in the intake manifold? I'm getting this code now which I ran with my Cobb access port and looked up that that's what it could be along with other issues. I took it to a shop and had them check out what it was for me and they confirmed it was the runner flap was what's getting stuck closed. They told me I have to replace the entire manifold costing me $1200. Or I could go with a used one which I don't want to do. Either I want that piece taken off so it runs wide open but idk if that's possible? If that is an option what other precautions or additional modifications will i need to do to my MS3..Or I look into getting a new mani that'll give me more power which I'm searching now if there's such a thing. I don't know too much about these, so any advise would tremendously help.

This is my baby and I hate taking it to the shop. Bought this brand new from the dealer in 2007. It's a 2008 Mazda speed3, 90k miles, six puck clutch from ACT, cold air intake, bov, and front mount intercooler.
MS3JCG is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-15-2017, 07:02 AM   #24
Police - Grammarhead

Originally Posted by MS3JCG View Post
Would this be completely different from the runner flap stuck closed in the intake manifold? I'm getting this code now which I ran with my Cobb access port and looked up that that's what it could be along with other issues. I took it to a shop and had them check out what it was for me and they confirmed it was the runner flap was what's getting stuck closed. They told me I have to replace the entire manifold costing me $1200. Or I could go with a used one which I don't want to do. Either I want that piece taken off so it runs wide open but idk if that's possible? If that is an option what other precautions or additional modifications will i need to do to my MS3..Or I look into getting a new mani that'll give me more power which I'm searching now if there's such a thing. I don't know too much about these, so any advise would tremendously help.

This is my baby and I hate taking it to the shop. Bought this brand new from the dealer in 2007. It's a 2008 Mazda speed3, 90k miles, six puck clutch from ACT, cold air intake, bov, and front mount intercooler.
P2006 and P2009 are "stuck open" and "stuck closed" respectively. As long as the VTCS flapper rod isn't actually binding in place, the fix I wrote about will do the trick. If you're getting the "stuck closed" code, then you should check and see if the sensor position switch is contacting anything, if it is stuck in a compressed state, or if someone has zip-tied it in place (this is a common "fix" for P2006, but will cause a P2009).

If you have to replace something, then in a rough order of lowest to highest cost the replacement parts would be:

VTCS actuator
VTCS sensor position switch
Manifold (as the flapper rod with the plastic piece that always breaks is not serviceable).
MS3JCG likes this.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:56 AM   #25

Not Ranked  0 score     

P2006 and P2009 are "stuck open" and "stuck closed" respectively. As long as the VTCS flapper rod isn't actually binding in place, the fix I wrote about will do the trick. If you're getting the "stuck closed" code, then you should check and see if the sensor position switch is contacting anything, if it is stuck in a compressed state, or if someone has zip-tied it in place (this is a common "fix" for P2006, but will cause a P2009).

If you have to replace something, then in a rough order of lowest to highest cost the replacement parts would be:

VTCS actuator

VTCS sensor position switch

Manifold (as the flapper rod with the plastic piece that always breaks is not serviceable).

Thank you Vanquish! The code I'm getting is the P2006. The shop is telling me the runner flap is getting stuck closed in the manifold. Do you have any recommendations where to get a modified manifold for my speed3. I found SR motor sports might have but I haven't dug deep enough yet. Thinking what I found is the flap piece that could be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 Old 03-15-2017, 08:48 AM   #26
Police - Grammarhead

Originally Posted by MS3JCG View Post
Thank you Vanquish! The code I'm getting is the P2006. The shop is telling me the runner flap is getting stuck closed in the manifold. Do you have any recommendations where to get a modified manifold for my speed3. I found SR motor sports might have but I haven't dug deep enough yet. Thinking what I found is the flap piece that could be replaced.

You cannot replace the flapper. It is pretty much impossible to remove. Moreover, the plastic piece that has, no doubt, broken off of your VTCS flapper assembly cannot be replaced (it's a non-serviceable part). There's no precedent for the flapper itself binding up, unless someone has tampered with the manifold, so there's no point at all in getting a new manifold to replace the flapper itself.

Furthermore, any modified or aftermarket manifold will cause your car to continue to throw the P2006 code, as none have VTCS flappers. Moreover, they will all require that you actually tune the car, due to the change in airflow through the engine.

The part that breaks is well-known, and a simple 5-minute, no-cost, fix that maintains the use of all of the componentry is described in my post earlier in this thread here:

Now what..P2006
MS3JCG likes this.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:08 AM   #27

Not Ranked  0 score     

You're really helpful, so I gots some work to do..
I do have a tune, it was tuned a few years ago. I have a Cobb access port I think is what was used to tune my car. Need to figure out how to go about that. Thank you again for your help!!

Old 03-20-2017, 10:33 AM   #28

marti74f will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

I went to take off that sensor today, and the top screw came off no problem, bottom screw head is stripped. I didn't even put any real pressure on it. Guess the heat/time got to it. Any suggestions other than taking off the IM to get a screw extractor on it?

Last edited by marti74f; 03-20-2017 at 12:03 PM.
marti74f is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-20-2017, 01:30 PM   #29

Trithemius has much to be proud ofTrithemius has much to be proud ofTrithemius has much to be proud ofTrithemius has much to be proud ofTrithemius has much to be proud ofTrithemius has much to be proud ofTrithemius has much to be proud ofTrithemius has much to be proud ofTrithemius has much to be proud of
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by marti74f View Post
I went to take off that sensor today, and the top screw came off no problem, bottom screw head is stripped. I didn't even put any real pressure on it. Guess the heat/time got to it. Any suggestions other than taking off the IM to get a screw extractor on it?
I took the sensor itself and spun it, which was enough to loosen that screw, and then I was able to use some pliers to turn it.
 Old 03-21-2017, 08:15 AM   #30

marti74f will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Trithemius View Post
I took the sensor itself and spun it, which was enough to loosen that screw, and then I was able to use some pliers to turn it.
Thanks! Got it off and it's fixed. Forgot how much power was lost from being in limp mode. Nice job Vansquish.
marti74f is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marti74f For This Useful Post:
Trithemius (03-21-2017)
 Old 04-17-2017, 03:57 PM   #31

SpeedThrills has a brilliant futureSpeedThrills has a brilliant futureSpeedThrills has a brilliant futureSpeedThrills has a brilliant futureSpeedThrills has a brilliant futureSpeedThrills has a brilliant futureSpeedThrills has a brilliant futureSpeedThrills has a brilliant futureSpeedThrills has a brilliant futureSpeedThrills has a brilliant futureSpeedThrills has a brilliant future
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by marti74f View Post
This was my issue. Unfortunately, whilst taking it off with vice grips, I snapped the screw head straight off. So now the shaft is stuck in the hole. Gotta love it
SpeedThrills is offline   Reply With Quote