register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics - Have a problem with the car? CEL Code? Want to discuss other issues? Come on in!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 08-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #1

burntmushu has a reputation beyond reputeburntmushu has a reputation beyond reputeburntmushu has a reputation beyond reputeburntmushu has a reputation beyond reputeburntmushu has a reputation beyond reputeburntmushu has a reputation beyond reputeburntmushu has a reputation beyond reputeburntmushu has a reputation beyond reputeburntmushu has a reputation beyond reputeburntmushu has a reputation beyond reputeburntmushu has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default P0012 code...

I noticed doing a quick research that for the miata the fix was the dealer swapping out the pcm. and i noticed my car has a recall to reflash the computer. but since it's been modded with a cp-e standback they won't reflash my computer. anyways issue is i just finished putting the car all back together after doing a rebuild. balanced the crank and rotating assembly. CP pistons, pauter rods, oem bearings, clevite head gasket, 3 angle valve job ( 4 valves were bent ) Fired her up took her for a test run...about 15 min in the code popped up and it was p0012.
and i changed the vvt gear and timing chain. the vvt got all fucked up when the chain broke, melted #3 piston. so i went .20 over. anyways think it's the assembly lube just stuck around the sensor? gonna do an oil change tomorrow and take it for another spin. approx 200 miles and when i get back i'll do another oil change. but if there's anything i should do please lmk. thanx.
burntmushu is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-03-2011, 03:37 AM   #2
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

Raider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the world
Thanked 57,005 Times in 14,589 Posts
Groans: 856
Groaned at 183 Times in 156 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

If you have a friend with an access port, they can unmarry their car, load it to yours, not saving stock map. Then unmarry, and load their latest map. Ghetto reflash, but it works.

Have you searched threads here for p0012? I wonder if the camshaft is not in the right location...I would not drive it until ya checked that out.

Last edited by Raider; 08-03-2011 at 03:37 AM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #3

burntmushu has a reputation beyond reputeburntmushu has a reputation beyond reputeburntmushu has a reputation beyond reputeburntmushu has a reputation beyond reputeburntmushu has a reputation beyond reputeburntmushu has a reputation beyond reputeburntmushu has a reputation beyond reputeburntmushu has a reputation beyond reputeburntmushu has a reputation beyond reputeburntmushu has a reputation beyond reputeburntmushu has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

did an oil change this morning and removed vc and double checked the timing. still good. and noticed there was a decent amount of engine assembly lube covering the camshaft position sensor so i cleaned it up.... drove it for around 60 miles and no light.... still gotta drive a few more hours.... and do another oil change tomorrow... and hopefully until the mil light won't come on....
 Old 08-04-2011, 10:22 PM   #4

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

okay....update... had the mil light come one.... so i checked and it's still p0012 coming up.
check list...
according the service manual...
removed ocv did visual inspection to make sure the valve was shut at max retard.
then checked ohm was within spec.
supplied ocv with power and the valve was opening and closing properly.
checked the timing was perfect. whan i had the tool in and set at tdc the cam tool just slid right in.
got a air gun and blew out the oil passages for the ocv and cleaned it out.
assembled and still the mil light is popping up.
next option according to the service manual is change out the pcm.

any suggestions?
 Old 05-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #5

thebestdj07 has a spectacular aura aboutthebestdj07 has a spectacular aura aboutthebestdj07 has a spectacular aura about
Not Ranked  0 score     

bringing back a oldie but did you ever get this figured out? having the exact same issues.
thebestdj07 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #6

BEAST MODE MS3 is a jewel in the roughBEAST MODE MS3 is a jewel in the roughBEAST MODE MS3 is a jewel in the rough
Not Ranked  0 score     

Any update on this problem, same problem im having
BEAST MODE MS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-02-2013, 02:30 AM   #7

GODspeed7 is the leader of the worldGODspeed7 is the leader of the worldGODspeed7 is the leader of the worldGODspeed7 is the leader of the worldGODspeed7 is the leader of the worldGODspeed7 is the leader of the worldGODspeed7 is the leader of the worldGODspeed7 is the leader of the worldGODspeed7 is the leader of the worldGODspeed7 is the leader of the worldGODspeed7 is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,010 Times in 1,973 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 58 Times in 43 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah let's bump a 2 year old thread twice that might give you your answers...

Sent from my iBro 5 using tapatalk, Bro!
HYPNOTIC TUNED, FREEK TUNED, HTP full 3" intake/TIP, HKS SSQV 4 full VTA, Corksport catless downpipe, Corksport catless Racepipe, Cobb AP V3, Autotech Fuel Pump Internals, JBR 88duro RMM, JBR 88duro TMM, JBR 80duro PMM, JBR cylindrical shift knob, Fidanza aluminum flywheel, EBC green brake pads, Centric high carbon rotors, Nitto NT555 tires, Gorilla spline lug nuts, DDM tuning HID's lows, Resonator Delete.
GODspeed7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GODspeed7 For This Useful Post:
Don06speed6 (07-02-2013)
 Old 08-19-2013, 11:11 PM   #8

mike000g has a reputation beyond reputemike000g has a reputation beyond reputemike000g has a reputation beyond reputemike000g has a reputation beyond reputemike000g has a reputation beyond reputemike000g has a reputation beyond reputemike000g has a reputation beyond reputemike000g has a reputation beyond reputemike000g has a reputation beyond reputemike000g has a reputation beyond reputemike000g has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

same issue here
mike000g is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-26-2014, 04:31 PM   #9

nojodas67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have had the same issue with my Mazda6 like all of you, code P0012. I'm at my wits end with this thing. I've tried everything I could find info on all over the web (except replacing the ECM) but the code keeps coming back.
I have a 2008 Mazda6 with 2.3L. Car idles great. I manually jumped current to the VVT solenoid with engine running, then it idled like crap until RPM went past 1500 or so, so I know that VVT is working. It does not have any knocking or rattling, which is usually the case with a bad VVT gear. I checked timing chain play which is ok. and checked timing chain alignment with the proper SST's and crank/cam timing is "DEAD ON". Oil light has never come on while the engine is running, not even at low idle so I know that oil pressure is within spec.
Any help with this I would really appreciate.

Thanks,
John
nojodas67 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-28-2014, 12:03 PM   #10
Daily Driver

Nitr0EngiE is the leader of the worldNitr0EngiE is the leader of the worldNitr0EngiE is the leader of the worldNitr0EngiE is the leader of the worldNitr0EngiE is the leader of the worldNitr0EngiE is the leader of the worldNitr0EngiE is the leader of the worldNitr0EngiE is the leader of the worldNitr0EngiE is the leader of the worldNitr0EngiE is the leader of the worldNitr0EngiE is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,427 Times in 757 Posts
Groans: 52
Groaned at 82 Times in 51 Posts
Neutral  +1 score     

out of everyone here noone has tried new cam position sensors, just saying .... although I have never seen them go bad.

also may I suggest that this code is based off of comparing its position based on the Crank position so check your CPK sensors at TDC to ensure they align to the notch on the sensor and the 20th tooth of the crank pully.
Nitr0EngiE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nitr0EngiE For This Useful Post:
mczimer (03-25-2014)
 Old 09-14-2015, 08:30 AM   #11

Turbojocky13 has a brilliant futureTurbojocky13 has a brilliant futureTurbojocky13 has a brilliant futureTurbojocky13 has a brilliant futureTurbojocky13 has a brilliant futureTurbojocky13 has a brilliant futureTurbojocky13 has a brilliant futureTurbojocky13 has a brilliant futureTurbojocky13 has a brilliant futureTurbojocky13 has a brilliant futureTurbojocky13 has a brilliant future
Groaned at 32 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I am having the exact same issues as the OP and the others, everything is brand new, ocv works, oil passages clear, good oil pressure, timing dead on. Still a p0012 code also if you watch the intake valve advance on the access port it operates how it should for the first 10 to 15 minutes then is pegged at 0 which is why I'm throwing that code. Did you guys end up replacing the pcm? Did that fix the issue. I'm about to buy one and want to check with you guys and see if that was the fix.... Any info would be great. This is the only write up I've ever found with my exact issue... No matter how much I searched. if someone writes back With there fix I will donate. I'm at a complete loss....
Turbojocky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-16-2015, 06:59 AM   #12

MicaSpeed is a name known to allMicaSpeed is a name known to allMicaSpeed is a name known to allMicaSpeed is a name known to allMicaSpeed is a name known to allMicaSpeed is a name known to all
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm gonna go ahead and bump this thread before I create one of my own. I'm having the same problem and I'm on a freshly built motor with a couple thousand miles with every single component of the VVT replaced including OCV and I just tried a cam position sensor as well but no change. If I monitor Intake valve advance on the AP its fine while the car is cold but after warming up VVT stops working.

The car runs perfectly the only problem is this P0012 code and my intake valve advance not working. I'm at a complete loss and I would take it to a dealer but last time I took it in to my local Mazda they rubbed me the wrong way. Has anyone found a possible fix? This seems like its only a Gen1 issue from what I've seen.
@Raider;
MicaSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MicaSpeed For This Useful Post:
Raider (12-16-2015)
 Old 12-16-2015, 07:03 AM   #13
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

Raider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the world
Thanked 57,005 Times in 14,589 Posts
Groans: 856
Groaned at 183 Times in 156 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by MicaSpeed View Post
I'm gonna go ahead and bump this thread before I create one of my own. I'm having the same problem and I'm on a freshly built motor with a couple thousand miles with every single component of the VVT replaced including OCV and I just tried a cam position sensor as well but no change. If I monitor Intake valve advance on the AP its fine while the car is cold but after warming up VVT stops working.

The car runs perfectly the only problem is this P0012 code and my intake valve advance not working. I'm at a complete loss and I would take it to a dealer but last time I took it in to my local Mazda they rubbed me the wrong way. Has anyone found a possible fix? This seems like its only a Gen1 issue from what I've seen.
@Raider;
I am sure it is something simple, and maybe someone can help.
Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-16-2015, 07:08 AM   #14

MicaSpeed is a name known to allMicaSpeed is a name known to allMicaSpeed is a name known to allMicaSpeed is a name known to allMicaSpeed is a name known to allMicaSpeed is a name known to all
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well I was hoping maybe the almighty one knew some peoples he could tag.

@nojodas67; @Turbojocky13;

Did either of you ever find a solution for your issue?

@burkerre;

Last edited by MicaSpeed; 12-16-2015 at 06:23 PM.
 Old 12-27-2015, 05:45 PM   #15

DALAMT is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by MicaSpeed View Post

@Raider;

I am also in the same boat. The car is a 2007 CX-7. I recently rebuilt the engine with new pistons (20 over), all new bearings, rebuilt head, new timing chain and tensioner, new OCV and actuator, both new camshaft, good oil pressure. After 2 on/off cycles and driving the car I get DTC P0012.

What do you guys think about this? Specifically the corrosion on the PCM circuit board shown on page 32. I can't read Russian. http://alflash.com.ua/Learn/mazda_cx7.pdf

I also found Mazda TSB 01-042/06 regarding reoccurring P0012. The proposed solution is to reprogram the PCM. Has anyone researched this?
DALAMT is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-28-2015, 07:04 AM   #16

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by DALAMT View Post
I am also in the same boat. The car is a 2007 CX-7. I recently rebuilt the engine with new pistons (20 over), all new bearings, rebuilt head, new timing chain and tensioner, new OCV and actuator, both new camshaft, good oil pressure. After 2 on/off cycles and driving the car I get DTC P0012.

What do you guys think about this? Specifically the corrosion on the PCM circuit board shown on page 32. I can't read Russian. http://alflash.com.ua/Learn/mazda_cx7.pdf

I also found Mazda TSB 01-042/06 regarding reoccurring P0012. The proposed solution is to reprogram the PCM. Has anyone researched this?

Being in the same boat as you with all of the related sensors and actuators replaced the next step is a PCM reprogram/replacement. I am going to take my car in to Mazda at some point and let them take a crack at it just to see what they're recommendation would be. Last time I took it in they took it on a 17 mile joy ride to tell me it had a cracked spark plug that wasn't even part of my initial concern so needless to say I'm a little hesitant to go back.

I followed the P0012 diagnostic procedure and every single item checks out OK, the last step is possible PCM malfunction but I don't have an MDS at my disposal.

Also the PCM's are very expensive and need programmed, so I have just been dealing with the CEL. I'm hoping someone will report back to this thread with their findings.
 Old 04-21-2016, 05:21 PM   #17

burkerre is a jewel in the roughburkerre is a jewel in the roughburkerre is a jewel in the roughburkerre is a jewel in the rough
Not Ranked  0 score     

Gonna bump this thread one more time. Has anyone successfully solved this issue?
CP-E 3" catless Dual TBE | Cobb SF Intake | Hi-Tuned Performance TIP | Autotech HPFP | CX racing FMIC | Cobb AP Stage 2 | Whiteline RSB | Dreadnaught | Juggernaught | AWR RMM | RallyArmor Mudflaps | Boost Gauge | HKS BPV | TWM Stage 1 STS | SURE Shortcut | SURE Anchors | SURE Counershift weight | xCarLink iPod | Hellatones
burkerre is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-02-2016, 05:09 PM   #18

DALAMT is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by burkerre View Post
Gonna bump this thread one more time. Has anyone successfully solved this issue?
No updates on my end. Still get P0012 upon second drive. I cannot pass emissions testing here in my county in Georgia so I can't renew registration on the car. It's been sitting in my driveway for going on 8 months now. I take it out for a spin around the neighborhood once a week just to keep things working. I would hate to sell it "as is".
DALAMT is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-15-2016, 03:58 AM   #19

disiza will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

Bump 2.1 million

Same problem in South Africa and it seems it happens most of the time to engines that have been rebuilt. I'm stumped

"DOES ANYBODY ELSE HAVE SOME MISSILES"

Any ideas,going going..........................................
 Old 09-24-2016, 11:40 PM   #20

Victos is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hi I'm in the same boat with my CX7 no noises,throws up P0012 about every 4th trip after resetting. timing chain/vvt actuator changed by dealer 12 months ago by previous owner. Such a common problem with this engine pissing a lot of people off��
Victos is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-05-2016, 05:34 PM   #21

Turbojocky13 has a brilliant futureTurbojocky13 has a brilliant futureTurbojocky13 has a brilliant futureTurbojocky13 has a brilliant futureTurbojocky13 has a brilliant futureTurbojocky13 has a brilliant futureTurbojocky13 has a brilliant futureTurbojocky13 has a brilliant futureTurbojocky13 has a brilliant futureTurbojocky13 has a brilliant futureTurbojocky13 has a brilliant future
Not Ranked  0 score     

I fixed the issue eventually (after replacing everything into the system) even after a fresh motor build, by switching to 10w-60 liquimolly motor oil. Has worked ever since.
- Forged eagle rods - Wiseco pistons - AutoTech CDFP - 4in TIH - 4in Mrp Maf housing - Custom Fiberglass RamAir - Accessport purpledrank tune - Stiffy Torque Damper - S366 Borgwarner Turbo -SureMotorsports Balance shaft delete - Air to Water intercooler - Arp headstuds - Spark plugs itv22 -RaceRoots T4 turbo manifold - 3in downpipe dump - Egr delete - 3 bar map sensor (Bosch) - Focus ST Direct Port Meth Intake Manifold- No BOV - Tial 38mm wastegate -GrimSpeed 3 port boost controller - Torque solutions rear engine mount - Torque solutions short shift plate - Torque solutions shifter counter weight - DEI heat shielding - 100% Gutted - 245/40/18 street radials- Streetunit Solid Motor Mounts- 3in Intercooler piping- etc etc...
 Old 10-06-2016, 12:48 AM   #22

Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks for posting Turbojockey13, I will try a similar grade oil on my next oil change. Cheers Vic
 Old 10-09-2016, 10:20 PM   #23

Not Ranked  0 score     

I was using that grade oil to try a solve the smoke at idle issue and I ran a bearing.Is this actually a safe solution, for all we know the fresh engine build fixed the issue.I have a gut feeling all these P0012 codes have something to do with oil pressure as the majority of them have popped up after an engine build.Somewhere between oil pick up and VVT there something not right

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk
 Old 10-19-2016, 04:35 PM   #24

Zohar has a spectacular aura aboutZohar has a spectacular aura about
Not Ranked  0 score     

Whoa, I am officially joining the club here about the issue with P0012.
I don't know a thing about it, just that the shop that rebuilt the car for me is currently troubleshooting this...

It looks like it might take a while...(I haven't had my car in over 2 years...)
If they said it runs good, and their "computer" tells them the timing is good, does that mean a "dirty sensor" could be my issue? some engine rebuild goop on it?

Whoa, I am officially joining the club here about the issue with P0012.
I don't know a thing about it, just that the shop that rebuilt the car for me is currently troubleshooting this...

It looks like it might take a while...(I haven't had my car in over 2 years...)
If they said it runs good, and their "computer" tells them the timing is good, does that mean a "dirty sensor" could be my issue? some engine rebuild goop on it?

I didn't type that twice...

2007 MS3
-AEM CAI
-Cobb TIP
-Accessport V3

Eclipse Head Unit | Kicker L5 "Square" subs | Rockford 600W Amp

Last edited by Zohar; 10-19-2016 at 04:35 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
Zohar is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-14-2016, 12:56 AM   #25

Not Ranked  0 score     

Reviving , Thread, clear..............., any takers, has anybody identified what causes this problem?

Old 11-14-2016, 05:38 AM   #26

Dropen will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

Did you read this? Specially this point: Failed timing valve control solenoid (stuck open)

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0012
Dropen is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-15-2016, 02:00 AM   #27

Not Ranked  0 score     

Yip I've read this, I've changed all the relivant parts and re did the timing, still get the error code

Old 01-11-2017, 11:00 PM   #28

ThatJuanMS3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Another Juan

so CEL came on P0012, car runs fine, idles fine, top engine rebuild couple months ago, VVT, Timing chain and solenoid changed. recently fixed spark blowout due to wrong gap on plugs by previous mechanic. could that have thrown off the timing? Also have P0401 so im guessing its time to clean my EGR
ThatJuanMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-22-2017, 09:02 PM   #29

Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Re p0012

So o changed my oil to 10-40w still light came on. Down the track my oil light started to flicker on idle so I took it to my mates shop. Even thou my timing chain was replaced by Mazda 40,000 kms ago. He found that the hydraulic tensioner was loose( thanks Mazda technicians) so that's where the oil light was coming on. Also the chain had stretched cause of the chain wheels being worn. Hopefully I'm all done with this shit and can move forward with enjoying my Mazda. Hope this helps a few of you guys. Cheers vic
 Old 04-04-2017, 05:54 PM   #30

Freefallin has a spectacular aura aboutFreefallin has a spectacular aura aboutFreefallin has a spectacular aura about
Not Ranked  0 score     

Just got this code after my car acted up on the hwy on my way to work this morning. 25k miles and 2 years ago, the previous owner had a reputable shop do all of the timing components, as well as resurface the cyl head and replace bent valves.

I was just trying to gingerly pass a car and noticed hesitation so I limped it to the nearest exit a couple miles down the hwy. Also pulling P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire and P0401 EGR.

I have owned the car for only 1 week and just changed the oil 2 days ago with Mobile 1 3w30 full synthetic. Wonder if the oil change caused anything to happen?
Freefallin is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-05-2017, 09:36 AM   #31

Not Ranked  0 score     

I Fixed this problem. I found that my motor was timed correctly. No issues with the block. Not saying this will work for you, but apparently with my big turbo setup and after market feed/drain lines I have to use 10w60 oil. This code (FOR SOME) isn't actually the cam being over retarded, but the VVT not actuating when it is supposed to... thus throwing an intake cam over retarded code. I found this out after driving it over 100 miles with out giving it any gas that wanted to activate the VVT. Also viewing the VVT after warm up during a WOT Pull. It stays at 0. When I switched to 10w60 the problem was fixed with no furthur issues.
- Forged eagle rods - Wiseco pistons - AutoTech CDFP - 4in TIH - 4in Mrp Maf housing - Custom Fiberglass RamAir - Accessport purpledrank tune - Stiffy Torque Damper - S366 Borgwarner Turbo -SureMotorsports Balance shaft delete - Air to Water intercooler - Arp headstuds - Spark plugs itv22 -RaceRoots T4 turbo manifold - 3in downpipe dump - Egr delete - 3 bar map sensor (Bosch) - Focus ST Direct Port Meth Intake Manifold- No BOV - Tial 38mm wastegate -GrimSpeed 3 port boost controller - Torque solutions rear engine mount - Torque solutions short shift plate - Torque solutions shifter counter weight - DEI heat shielding - 100% Gutted - 245/40/18 street radials- Streetunit Solid Motor Mounts- 3in Intercooler piping- etc etc...
 Old 05-05-2017, 09:53 AM   #32

Not Ranked  0 score     

Although, even if you are not big turbo you can try to add a thicker oil until the problem disappears. I can't 100% blame my turbo or mods for this problem as I did not notice it until we were halfway through my 3rd tune (not revision,full tune). The problem most likely previosly existed due to the fact the vvt was never monitored until we noticed boost sometimes coming in fast and other times almost not until redline. I have heard of this issue before after these things have happend

-motor rebuild (even timed correctly) not sure why, could be sealant/open passages...etc
-big turbos
-balance shaft delete
-literally anything that will even drop 1psi of oil pressure. The stars have to align for VVT to fuction. Thicker oil will raise the pressure

And one more time this worked for me, I can't say it will work for you.

Also if your afraid of heavy oil. Rest assured I have been running over 400hp with 10w60 for about a year and a half and just under 10,000 miles. I know that's not long but that's 10,000 miles of racing, it's not a daily so when it's driven it's only ever beat on.
Let me know if this helps anyone at all.
-
 Old 05-24-2017, 05:20 PM   #33

josephf31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default PCM flash fixes it or not?

Nobody ever answered the question of whether or not a PCM reflash/replacement fixes the code???
josephf31 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-25-2017, 04:21 AM   #34

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by josephf31 View Post
Nobody ever answered the question of whether or not a PCM reflash/replacement fixes the code???
I replaced the PCM,OCV,timing chain,tensioner,VVT,re-timed and it did not fix the code for me. The pcm cost me $1200 new.
 Old 05-25-2017, 05:35 PM   #35

Not Ranked  0 score     
Default So

What did you end up doing? Live with the code/sell the vehicle/what? Thank you...
 Old 05-26-2017, 06:06 PM   #36

Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Which oil

Originally Posted by Turbojocky13 View Post
I Fixed this problem. I found that my motor was timed correctly. No issues with the block. Not saying this will work for you, but apparently with my big turbo setup and after market feed/drain lines I have to use 10w60 oil. This code (FOR SOME) isn't actually the cam being over retarded, but the VVT not actuating when it is supposed to... thus throwing an intake cam over retarded code. I found this out after driving it over 100 miles with out giving it any gas that wanted to activate the VVT. Also viewing the VVT after warm up during a WOT Pull. It stays at 0. When I switched to 10w60 the problem was fixed with no furthur issues.
Hello! What brand of motor oil did you use? Do you think it would make any difference what type/brand? Thank you!
 Old 05-27-2017, 10:34 AM   #37

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by josephf31 View Post
Hello! What brand of motor oil did you use? Do you think it would make any difference what type/brand? Thank you!
10w60 liquimolly fixed my problem.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f293/p0012-code-87783/
Posted By For Type Date
5earch This thread Refback 03-19-2012 04:55 PM