register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics - Have a problem with the car? CEL Code? Want to discuss other issues? Come on in!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree4Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 04-04-2011, 10:55 PM   #1

cbspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputecbspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputecbspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputecbspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputecbspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputecbspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputecbspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputecbspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputecbspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputecbspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputecbspeed3 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Part throttle knock question???

I am getting 6.0 part throttle knock when cruising and very slightly letting off the throttle. If I let off throttle completely it goes to 0.0. If I hold the throttle steady when it starts to get knock retard it slowly goes to 0.0, but if I let off slightly it goes to 6.0 again. If I go wot even if it's reading 6.0 kr it goes to 0.0 instantly. Just wanted to know if anyone else has seen this and is it the normal pt knock I've read about. I never get more than 0.7 to 1.0 of kr at wot.Needed you guys input. I've been monitoring things since I changed timing chain and tensioner. Tryin to see if this is the norm
knarfies likes this.
cbspeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cbspeed3 For This Useful Post:
knarfies (03-16-2012)
 Old 04-05-2011, 04:40 AM   #2

bova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,490 Times in 876 Posts
Groans: 45
Groaned at 39 Times in 38 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

forget about it, it's perfectly normal at part throttle. its just the car adjusting timing for mpg's.

search there are plenty of threads like this.
Worbit likes this.

Last edited by bova; 04-05-2011 at 05:22 AM.
bova is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bova For This Useful Post:
knarfies (03-16-2012), laxplayermjd (04-05-2011), Marchy (09-13-2012)
 Old 04-05-2011, 06:56 AM   #3

cbspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputecbspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputecbspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputecbspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputecbspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputecbspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputecbspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputecbspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputecbspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputecbspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputecbspeed3 has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks! That's what I found searching the forum. Just like to hear it from fellow msf members. Lot of you all have much more knowledge about the idiosyncrocies of this little fagwagon than I. I knew some pt knock was normal but wasn't sure how much,cause I didn't start monitoring till my timing chain slack was causing a shit ton of audible kr and stuttering, so I have never seen what the kr is suppose to actually be doing.
 Old 04-05-2011, 09:38 AM   #4

laxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the world
Groans: 20
Groaned at 24 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

its been posted about numerous times, theres debate on if it false knock or true knock. ive tried adjusted timing which never got it to go away. its completey random when it occurs.

I only worry when its large amounts like 6-7 degrees. Make me wonder. inthe mean time i just let off the gas when it does it then get back on
 Old 04-05-2011, 09:52 AM   #5

bova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

there is no need to let off and the reason why changing timing does nothing cause the ecu still wants to maximize timing for fuel efficiency until it hits that point of knock then it backs off. by letting off you don't let the ecu learn that timing at part throttle so it will just continue the process. this is why I stopped monitoring knock or monitoring at all unless i'm really beating on the car.
The Following User Says Thank You to bova For This Useful Post:
4G63 (04-05-2011)
 Old 04-05-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
[MSF STIG]

FORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,919 Times in 739 Posts
Groans: 15
Groaned at 23 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sounds like the OP has something loose under the hood.

`11 Ducati 1198SP SBK Duc Red w/Termi exh; Redline flash-tune + PC-5; Sargent; Shift-tech, CDT, & EVR Carbon; 14F/39R gear w/FBF QC; Speedymoto; R&G; ProGrip; Custom LED; Antigravity; Ducabike; Duc Perf, etc... a 182whp/105wtq The BIG DOG

`12 Ducati 1100SP EVO Hyper Duc CORSE w/Termi exh; Redline flash-tune + PC-5; Ducshop Hyperstacks; 14F/41R gear w/FBF QC; Shift-tech, CDT, & BST(wheels) Carbon; R&G; ProGrip; Antigravity; Ducabike; Duc Perf, etc... a 95whp/75wtq The Hooligan

`12 Aprilia RSV4 "Factory" SBK w/Akra Tit exh & race map; 15/42 gear; R&G; ProGrip; Gilles; CompWerkes; LightWerkes; Lightech; LSL Pegs; Antigravity; Zero Gravity; AF1 Flat Carbon, etc... the 181whp/83wtq The Land Rocket

`17 Ford Focus RS Nitrous Blue w/Cobb V3/AT; OZ Ultraleggera; Schroth harness The Super Fun Toy
FORZDA 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FORZDA 1 For This Useful Post:
AtTheDriveIn (04-07-2011)
 Old 04-05-2011, 12:19 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Nothing loose. Checked everything more than a few times. If I'm at a constant cruz it doesn't get kr. Only does it when I let off throttle from a steady Cruz. Like when you top a hill and have to let off a little to maintain your speed, it goes to 6.0 kr and drops to 0.0 kr over the next 5 to 6 seconds. I thought it was random at first but the more I studied it I saw the pattern. I can almost make it knock on command by modulating the throttle like I explained above. Just curious if you guys get the same shit.
 Old 04-05-2011, 12:30 PM   #8
[MSF STIG]

FORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by cbspeed3 View Post
.... I can almost make it knock on command by modulating the throttle like I explained above. Just curious if you guys get the same shit.

Uhm, no.... If you are SURE there is nothing vibrating (resonant frequency, not flopping loose) then you may be running real lean at part throttle.

A few deg of KR once in a while (not at WOT) is fairly normal, but 5-6 sounds a bit excessive to me.

`11 Ducati 1198SP SBK Duc Red w/Termi exh; Redline flash-tune + PC-5; Sargent; Shift-tech, CDT, & EVR Carbon; 14F/39R gear w/FBF QC; Speedymoto; R&G; ProGrip; Custom LED; Antigravity; Ducabike; Duc Perf, etc... a 182whp/105wtq The BIG DOG

`12 Ducati 1100SP EVO Hyper Duc CORSE w/Termi exh; Redline flash-tune + PC-5; Ducshop Hyperstacks; 14F/41R gear w/FBF QC; Shift-tech, CDT, & BST(wheels) Carbon; R&G; ProGrip; Antigravity; Ducabike; Duc Perf, etc... a 95whp/75wtq The Hooligan

`12 Aprilia RSV4 "Factory" SBK w/Akra Tit exh & race map; 15/42 gear; R&G; ProGrip; Gilles; CompWerkes; LightWerkes; Lightech; LSL Pegs; Antigravity; Zero Gravity; AF1 Flat Carbon, etc... the 181whp/83wtq The Land Rocket

`17 Ford Focus RS Nitrous Blue w/Cobb V3/AT; OZ Ultraleggera; Schroth harness The Super Fun Toy
laxplayermjd (04-05-2011)
 Old 04-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Fuel ratios look good. 14.7 for light throttle and cruzin. Goes to 0.0 kr instantly if I go wot. Never get above 1.0 kr at wot. Only wit the slight depression og the pedal is when I get it. It might not be 5 to 6 second, just guessing. It goes down by increments. 6.0, 5.0, 3.5, 2.8,........ Till it hits zero. I will not get kr again unless I let of the pedal just a bit, it's like a kr sweet spot. Fuel trims are within +\-7%. The only lean I ever see is when I punch the gas hard I will get 15.0 for a split second and then the afr drops like it should and I don't get any knock during acceleration.
 Old 04-05-2011, 05:02 PM   #10
jbr makes fall-a-parts.

Tokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the world
Thanked 26,379 Times in 7,868 Posts
Groans: 792
Groaned at 496 Times in 321 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

When cruising the engine will start at 6 degrees of knock retard and count backward to zero. This is not the engine knocking. It is the ecu maximizing spark timing. Knock is audible.
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tokay444 For This Useful Post:
jreiden1 (09-18-2014), radbrad (09-09-2012)
 Old 04-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok I toke you fellas advice and started to look for loose shit under hood. Didn't find anything so I looked deeper since I just replaced timing chain and tensioner I pulled the valve cover just to take a look. Everything looked good and right when I was bout to button everything up I noticed the vvt solenoid was loose, the 10pm bolt that holds it down was backed out about 1/8 inch or so. Tightened it down and put it back together. First thing I noticed is my ltft's went from-6.0 to 1.3 at idle and all other break points started to change as well. And the pt kr is much better. I will check back in after a few more miles to let it continue to relearn. But I think that was the issue. Funny cause I never touched that bolt before today
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cbspeed3 For This Useful Post:
FORZDA 1 (04-06-2011), MPSdriver (03-10-2012)
 Old 04-06-2011, 03:46 AM   #12
jbr makes fall-a-parts.

Tokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sweet. But the ecu is programmed to count backwards from 6 degrees of knock retard to zero at part throttle cruising to maximize efficiency. Good find though. Probably aided in preventing some other kind of catastrophic failure.
 Old 04-06-2011, 06:20 AM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah, I'm sure a bolt bouncing around in the valve train wouldn't be too good
 Old 04-06-2011, 03:32 PM   #14
[MSF STIG]

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by cbspeed3 View Post
Ok I toke you fellas advice and started to look for loose shit under hood. Didn't find anything so I looked deeper since I just replaced timing chain and tensioner I pulled the valve cover just to take a look. Everything looked good and right when I was bout to button everything up I noticed the vvt solenoid was loose, the 10pm bolt that holds it down was backed out about 1/8 inch or so. Tightened it down and put it back together. First thing I noticed is my ltft's went from-6.0 to 1.3 at idle and all other break points started to change as well. And the pt kr is much better. I will check back in after a few more miles to let it continue to relearn. But I think that was the issue. Funny cause I never touched that bolt before today
Told ya so! Nah Nah Na Nah Nah! I've found many of the PT KR issues are indeed "false". There are many things under the hood that can buzz/rattle at various resonant freqs and be heard by the knock sensor...

Old 04-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #15
jbr makes fall-a-parts.

Not Ranked  0 score     

Not to be rude, but I bet he'll still get 6 degrees of timing retard counting down to zero at part throttle cruising. It's just what the ecu does.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tokay444 For This Useful Post:
Ckmazdaspeed3 (04-06-2011), DoMiNic (07-24-2013), jreiden1 (09-18-2014), manelscout4life (04-06-2011), SofaKingAwesome (02-08-2012)
 Old 04-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #16
[MSF STIG]

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Tokay444 View Post
Not to be rude, but I bet he'll still get 6 degrees of timing retard counting down to zero at part throttle cruising. It's just what the ecu does.
Not being rude either, but whadda you wanna bet? 6 deg of KR is NOT "normal".

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FORZDA 1 For This Useful Post:
I Love Brownies (04-06-2011), SIXual Panda (04-07-2011), Toddy22587 (04-07-2011)
 Old 04-06-2011, 08:21 PM   #17

I Love Brownies is the leader of the worldI Love Brownies is the leader of the worldI Love Brownies is the leader of the worldI Love Brownies is the leader of the worldI Love Brownies is the leader of the worldI Love Brownies is the leader of the worldI Love Brownies is the leader of the worldI Love Brownies is the leader of the worldI Love Brownies is the leader of the worldI Love Brownies is the leader of the worldI Love Brownies is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,156 Times in 2,461 Posts
Groans: 371
Groaned at 62 Times in 39 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

+1^^^^^
I Love Brownies is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-06-2011, 11:03 PM   #18

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yes I still get 6.0 pt kr, but it counts down almost instantly and it doesnt do it as much as before. My ltft's went from -5.5 at idle to -1.6, fuel trims at all the other break points got closer to zero as well. I think the solenoid for vvt was so lose it wasn't adjusting timing correctly. Got the same wacky fuel trims when vvt and timing chain was bad on my car. Thanks everyone
 Old 04-07-2011, 04:04 AM   #19
jbr makes fall-a-parts.

Not Ranked  0 score     

I have a completely stock motor on a stock tune, and when cruising on the highway, my dashhawk routinely displays 6-5-4-3-2-1-0 in the knock retard field. It's not knock. It's timing being pulled by the ecu for fuel maximization and a lot of people know about it. It's not that your car is knocking. The sensor isn't hearing any knock at all most likely. It's just what the ecu does to save you gas. But I digress.
DoMiNic likes this.
 Old 04-07-2011, 06:40 AM   #20

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

You could be right, it is labeled knock ratard. It could just be the ecu pulling timing. Will we ever really know if it's knock or timing being pulled to prevent knock?????
 Old 04-07-2011, 06:46 AM   #21

Not Ranked  0 score     

if you actually had knock that high you would hear it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bova For This Useful Post:
SofaKingAwesome (02-08-2012), Tokay444 (04-07-2011)
 Old 04-07-2011, 06:57 AM   #22
jbr makes fall-a-parts.

Not Ranked  0 score     

I thought that it was common knowledge that the ecu pulls timing like this at cruising between 2800 and 4500 rpm to maximize economy.
 Old 04-07-2011, 09:06 AM   #23
[MSF STIG]

Not Ranked  0 score     

I have a completely stock motor on a stock tune.....
I'm going to step out of this thread and leave you guys to yourselves. I should have known better.

Tokay444 (04-07-2011)
 Old 04-07-2011, 09:17 AM   #24

rfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the world
Thanked 33,217 Times in 10,050 Posts
Groans: 298
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

A great way to solve this issue is to log kr, closed loop etc, and compare logs @ light load and part throttle conditions.
rfinkle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rfinkle2 For This Useful Post:
Tokay444 (04-07-2011)
 Old 04-07-2011, 09:23 AM   #25

Toddy22587 is a splendid one to beholdToddy22587 is a splendid one to beholdToddy22587 is a splendid one to beholdToddy22587 is a splendid one to beholdToddy22587 is a splendid one to beholdToddy22587 is a splendid one to beholdToddy22587 is a splendid one to beholdToddy22587 is a splendid one to behold
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

My dashhawk is on and monitoring knock every time i drive and i've never seen this backwards count from 6. maybe the australian ECU is different
Toddy22587 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-07-2011, 09:27 AM   #26
jbr makes fall-a-parts.

Not Ranked  0 score     

Cruise steady at 120km/h in sixth for about ten minutes and watch it.
 Old 04-07-2011, 09:30 AM   #27

rfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the world
Thanked 33,217 Times in 10,050 Posts
Groans: 298
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Toddy22587 View Post
My dashhawk is on and monitoring knock every time i drive and i've never seen this backwards count from 6. maybe the australian ECU is different
See @Tokay444 's post above.
rfinkle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #28

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

The only audible knock I have heard is when timing chain and vvt was bad and it registered 8.0 on my dashhawk. And this happened several times and it was always 8.0. So you may not hear 6.0 kr.
Arpitbull likes this.
 Old 04-07-2011, 02:07 PM   #29

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I think the ecu advances timing, to increase fuel economy, until it detects knock, then it pulls timing back. It rides the edge of the knock threshold for fuel economy. I knew this before I made this thread. I was just curious if other people was seeing it (kr) as I described, the count backward from 6 to 0.

Just paranoid since the timing chain vvt issues I've had.

Last edited by cbspeed3; 04-07-2011 at 02:07 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 04-07-2011, 02:14 PM   #30
jbr makes fall-a-parts.

Not Ranked  0 score     

I see 6 counting down to zero every time I cruise steady at about 3000 rpm. If I floor it, or let go, it goes immediately to 0.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tokay444 For This Useful Post:
mayer (04-05-2012)
 Old 05-28-2011, 02:10 PM   #31
Zak

Zak is just really niceZak is just really niceZak is just really niceZak is just really niceZak is just really nice
Not Ranked  0 score     

UP!

When I'm getting this part throttle Knock and then going WOT, my car still knock! That's should turn back to 0° in OL, does it?
But when I WOT again, no Knock!

Do you know what cause this issue?
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-28-2011, 02:19 PM   #32
jbr makes fall-a-parts.

Not Ranked  0 score     

english please.

Inb4 85% silicone core. It's better than aluminum.
What's you buddy's ex wife trap?
I <3 SP63, but that port job though... "The coolant must be evaporating." Bye Felicia
"Exclusivity" - CP-enis
Demodded.
The Seals
 Old 05-28-2011, 02:24 PM   #33
Zak

Zak is just really niceZak is just really niceZak is just really niceZak is just really niceZak is just really nice
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sorry for my bad english, I live in Europe...
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-12-2011, 08:00 AM   #34

speedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the world
Groans: 12
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I see 6 counting down to zero every time I cruise steady at about 3000 rpm. If I floor it, or let go, it goes immediately to 0.
sorry to revive, but was just doing some reading, and this is the exacttttt same tihng that happens to me, jsut good knowing its normal
2007 Mazdaspeed 6 - Ptp SST, Cobb AP, SSP 3.5" Intake, SURE Sidewinder, Autotech HPFP Internals, PTP 2150 psi HPRV, Cp-e Injector Seals, PTP Injector Studs, Jbarone TIG's, VTCS Delete, ETS 3.25" TMIC, M2 Catless Downpipe, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, MD OCC, Denso ITV 22, H & R springs, Energy Suspension Rear Sway Bar Bushings, Dashhawk, Hawk HPs Pads, Centric Rotors, Street Unit Rear Motor Mount, TWM Stage II Shifter with Solid Bushings and Weighted Shift Knob, Autometer Mechanical Boost Gauge
speedms6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-19-2011, 11:38 AM   #35

RichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,320 Times in 1,452 Posts
Groans: 35
Groaned at 20 Times in 15 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I wanted to add to this thread. I am with the theory that PT kr is caused by too much timing advance.

I recently started increasing low load timing to improve mpg which resulted in high counts of pt kr.
CP-e Atmosphere GTX3076r w1.06 Tial | JMF IM | NATOR D.C. FMIC | JBR Wide Path | Autotech Internals | HKS SSQV2 | Ebay DP | Denso ITV24 | CP-e RDM | AutoExe Strut Tower Bar | Whiteline RSB | Sonic Tuning Coils | DSS Driver Side Axle | JMF OCC

BT - 395 awhp 345 awtq @ Moore Automotive 4/12/2014 on 93 octane
Stock Turbo - 331 awhp 397 awtq @ Moore Automotive 11/10/2012 on ~e48
12.263 @ 111.75 mph 1.669 60' 11/17/2012

RichieRichness is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #36

laxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by RichieRichness View Post
I wanted to add to this thread. I am with the theory that PT kr is caused by too much timing advance.

I recently started increasing low load timing to improve mpg which resulted in high counts of pt kr.
if that is the case. We would have to pull up to 6 degrees timing in low loads,And determine if when it occurs its only use the CL timing table. Could be using the part throttle timing.

It seems everything i try to catch it in a log it never happens.

Edit: it occured quite a bit on me on my trip to ny for the holiday, it only seemed to occur before reaching full operating temp, usually around 170 from what i could tell by monitoring the dashhawk. Almost did it everytime i hit the on ramp after a nap. Ive noticed it most commonly just before full operating temp on my ways to work in the morning. And it does not occur in the summer months for me. I feel its related to ambient temps, and coolant temps, as well as possible timing
 Old 12-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #37
jbr makes fall-a-parts.

Not Ranked  0 score     

I have cruise know for almost my entire drive to work every moning.
3200rpm in 6th.
Just repeats the backward count from 6 every kilometer or so.
Sometimes it doesn't start as high as 6, and sometimes it doesn't get to zero before it jumps back up and starts counting down again.
I only see low events of WOT kr with 91 octane and never any WOT kr with 94.

I <3 SP63, but that port job though... "The coolant must be evaporating." Bye Felicia
"Exclusivity" - CP-enis
Demodded.
The Seals
The Following User Says Thank You to Tokay444 For This Useful Post:
Docnox (12-20-2011)
 Old 12-19-2011, 02:48 PM   #38

Not Ranked  0 score     

strange because i never get it while on cruise control. its always shortly after a shift in higher guys, withing 5 secs of a shift when slowly on the gas.

i cruised at that for about 4 hrs at a time the other day with not one once of knock.
 Old 12-19-2011, 07:41 PM   #39
jbr makes fall-a-parts.

Not Ranked  0 score     

I have never once turned cruise control on.

"Exclusivity" - CP-enis
Demodded.
The Seals
 Old 12-19-2011, 07:51 PM   #40

ABSpeed3 is the leader of the worldABSpeed3 is the leader of the worldABSpeed3 is the leader of the worldABSpeed3 is the leader of the worldABSpeed3 is the leader of the worldABSpeed3 is the leader of the worldABSpeed3 is the leader of the worldABSpeed3 is the leader of the worldABSpeed3 is the leader of the worldABSpeed3 is the leader of the worldABSpeed3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 133
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have never seen that level of PT knock in 6th gear cruising. I have probably driven 500 highway miles in the past week, and my AP was monitoring knock the whole time. I never witnessed the backwards countdown Tokay mentions.

PG Intake, TIP | Forge BPV | M2 Catless DP | HKS Catback | Cp-e FMIC| Autotech Internals | Self Tune | Bilstein Shocks | SPC Camber Arms | H&R Springs | Progress RSB | JBR SSP, Bushings, PMM | TWM Shift Knob | TRZ RMM, TMM | TRM C3 17x9| Dunlop Star Spec ZII (245/40) | Matt Damon OCC
ABSpeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f293/part-throttle-knock-question-76934/
Posted By For Type Date
Ticking from motor. Help please This thread Refback 07-24-2013 11:36 AM